Heroes Unlimited Play By Post?

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
Belgarion
First Video: The Wire

Re: Heroes Unlimited Play By Post?

Postby Belgarion » 20 Jan 2015, 05:10

Perhaps you should post on the game play thread that you are delaying your action until you see how the robots respond to Omni's action. I used to do that often during table top sessions.
If the scapegoat ever goes extinct, who are we going to blame?
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 20 Jan 2015, 16:20

Apologies for the delay - I was not home and did not have access to a computer for a few days. If it hadn't been an impromptu decision, I would have offered explanation beforehand. Apologies also for the lack of communication in regards to turns; the lack of response was indeed the robots ignoring further action by Robert.

Just to clarify, Ix, are you aiming at the head or at the robot in general?
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 21 Jan 2015, 04:21

Head; gon' crush that metalmouth!
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 21 Jan 2015, 08:43

The roll to parry was just barely enough, and the following attack roll was... Well, it was a 5. Parrying it should not be an issue for you.=)
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 24 Jan 2015, 07:10

Question:

I noticed that the current players are just putting their base rolls without bonuses (attack, initiative etc). Is this your preference or would you prefer us to add the bonuses to our rolls to make it quicker for you? Or do you want to leave it up to each player?

Just wondering.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 24 Jan 2015, 08:51

Well, the problem is that we're working from something of a piecemeal understanding of the rules. If I had a better idea of what my various modifiers were, I'd be happy to add them.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 24 Jan 2015, 09:15

What Prospero said
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 24 Jan 2015, 09:51

My apologies. I guess I assumed everyone was on the same level of knowledge. Perhaps as time goes on and everyone's understanding grows we can take some of the load of Atifexe then.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 24 Jan 2015, 10:30

Atifexe has all the books, and just tells us what we need to know as it happens. I managed to find one poorly photocopied PDF, but otherwise we're kind of flying blind.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 24 Jan 2015, 10:55

I have the books as well. I think i'll do some searching around on the net see if i can find some decent pdf's. If I happen across some I'll pm folks with links if they would like me too. It will probably be easier for me since I know the exact names of the books.
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 24 Jan 2015, 11:34

I would fervently prefer that anyone interested in the actual numbers go out and buy the books. I am heavily opposed to the acquisition of PDFs, as to my knowledge there are no legitimate ones available.

Generally speaking, I prefer the raw rolls. Whenever I'm posting in the thread, I generally have all the character sheets and relevant notes open, so it's easy for me to make any necessary calculations with only a couple of clicks. As Prospero said, I also have the core book and Powers Unlimited 1, 2 and 3, and they're all located on a shelf within arm's reach of my computer. I'm fine with handling the bookkeeping, as long as everyone's still having fun that way.
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 24 Jan 2015, 11:48

That works for me. I just thought it might be easier for you is all. As for the pdf's thing I won't bother looking anymore then.
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Postby Omnicrat » 24 Jan 2015, 12:56

Reports of my vacation have been greatly exaggerated. I was just too exhausted from work for the past two days to post anything. I should have something up within a few minutes/ an hour.
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 30 Jan 2015, 19:52

So I made the assumption, Prospero, that you would only want to expend one action on your last barrage. To that end, you only fired two rounds out of each weapon, with five left in each magazine. For future reference, you can also expend two actions to fire four rounds or four actions to empty an entire magazine in a single assault, if you so choose. As with spending actions to dodge, those attacks consume the next however many actions until they're complete.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 01 Feb 2015, 09:32

That's good to know. I might do that to finish it off on my next turn.

Provided, of course, that I'm not completely gooped by Omnicrat's critical failure.

Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 03 Feb 2015, 19:49

Well. That was quite bad.

Things I will try to have Robert do in order of desire (don't know what works in the rules)

1) Pump and fire, using up my next turns actions

2) Pump and toss to Kenji to fire, using up my next turns actions

3) Drop and explain to Kenji which side to pump and fire, using up his next turns actions.

4) Pump and drop for Kenji to pick up and fire, useing both of our next turns actions

5) Pressurize the solvent tank and throw, having Kenji shoot the canister causing it to explode.

I REALLY hope something before 5 works...
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 05 Feb 2015, 15:54

A clarification on the combat system:

Players have a limited number of turns per combat round determined by their Hand to Hand combat skill, modified by their level, specific other skills, and any relevant superpowers. As it stands, Kenji gets 7, Robert gets 5, and Dougie gets 4. The robots you guys are fighting are designed to get 5. This puts Dougie at a bit of a disadvantage currently, and I strongly suspect that that won't last too long as new powers become available.

On each of your turns, you can move (the distance in meters is determined by multiplying your Speed attribute by 5, then dividing it by the number of actions you get in a round) and take one action. Actions are things like firing a weapon, drawing a weapon, reloading, throwing a punch, etc. Certain techniques, such as firing an extended burst or throwing a haymaker with a big wind up, take more than one action, and will consume consecutive actions as appropriate.

Between each turn, characters are likely to have to perform some form of defensive actions. The most common have come up already; those being dodging and parrying. Characters can parry up to two attacks between each of their turns without using up an action, after which additional parry attempts consume the next action the character would have had. Dodges always use up the next action as the character returns to a ready position or recovers from the failed attempt, as the case may be. The exception here is a character having the Automatic Dodge ability, as Kenji's Lightning Reflexes grant him. Regular dodge bonuses don't apply to automatic dodge attempts, which generally means that when dodging, characters with the ability have the option of expending an action to get a better chance of success (sort of making an effort rather than relying purely on muscle memory).

Other than those two, there is also the possibility for a Simultaneous Strike, where the character makes no effort to defend themselves, instead taking the opportunity to attack when their opponent is unable to react.

As I believe we determined earlier in the thread, one turn spent pumping the resin gun grants enough pressure to fire six times. You'll have to spend your action for a turn pumping, and won't be able to do anything else with the weapon until your next turn.

I hope this helps clarify! If there are any questions, ask away and I shall explain.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Feb 2015, 16:01

Hmm. Okay. So if Robert spends a turn pumping, he should have enough time to hit Dougie with the solvent on his next turn before the goop solidifies completely?

I wonder if we can just release Dougie without releasing the robots too.

Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 05 Feb 2015, 16:41

The goop takes a full round to solidify, so deploying the solvent before it does shouldn't be an issue. Even if it does, the solvent still dissolves it, and since he's thoroughly coated, it also adds a durable layer kind of like armor.

Releasing Dougie without releasing the robots is also going to be easy; the solvent, like the resin, will only be enough per shot (barring critically successful failures =P) to remove the resin from an upper or lower body area.
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 05 Feb 2015, 19:31

Alright, but isn't somebody else up now? Since my critically successful failure just happened after all...
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 05 Feb 2015, 20:32

That would be the robots. Working on posting that now.
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 12 Feb 2015, 08:05

I was just skimming and read Robot as Robert :P
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 04 Apr 2015, 08:03

So, whats going on with this?
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 04 Apr 2015, 12:39

Omnicrat wrote:So, whats going on with this?

I was wondering the same thing...but only cause i'm itching to play my hero :D
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 04 Apr 2015, 13:52

I ain't seen Atifexe on the forums for a few days/weeks, so I assume he's had real life get in the way. We'll see.

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”