World of Darkness Play By Post: OOC Thread

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: World of Darkness Play By Post: OOC Thread

Postby Prospero101 » 31 Jan 2015, 09:39

You can spend your Willpower points to give yourself bonus dice to a roll. This is meant to symbolize your character giving their all to a task. You start with a pool of points equal to your rating, and you can have more points than that. You can earn back spent points by playing to your Virtue and Vice. Playing to your Virtue and Vice in a small way earns you a point of Willpower. Playing to your Virtue or Vice in a BIG way, a way that poses serious risk to yourself and/or others, earns you back ALL your spent Willpower.

When up against creatures with superhuman strength and the ability to control minds, Willpower is an incredibly useful resource. I recommend that you avoid being stingy with it. You'll earn it back with good roleplay.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Belgarion
First Video: The Wire

Postby Belgarion » 31 Jan 2015, 09:42

Ok got it.

Right now I am going through the group of questions they have under breaking points and making notes. Should I post them after I am done?
If the scapegoat ever goes extinct, who are we going to blame?
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 31 Jan 2015, 09:44

Yes, please. You're on top of this. :)

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 31 Jan 2015, 09:59

I'm really enjoying this too:

Worst thing my character has done:
-he participated in robbing a liquor store when he was 16, it was with the gang I use to run with when I was a street punk

Worst thing I can imagine my character doing:
-letting someone die even though I know I can save them (friend or enemy)

Worst thing I can imagine someone else doing:
-killing innocent children for fun/pleasure

What has my character forgotten:
-when I was 7 years old I woke up late at night and looked out the window, there I witnessed a vampire feeding on a teen-aged girl. In the morning I shook it off as a nightmare and never thought of it again.

Most traumatic thing that has happened to me:
-at age 12 I was standing on a street corner when a car that had been stolen by 3 young adults just for a joyride, ran through a red light and smashed into a bus killing several of the riders (somewhere about 10 people). Because I was a witness, I had to recount what I saw on 3 separate occasions, at each of the joyriders trials because they all survived the crash.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 31 Jan 2015, 10:05

Wow, that's harsh. And perfectly fitting with the World of Darkness. With that, your character is finished! He looks good. :)

If you'd be so kind as to PM me your complete character sheet (please include absolutely everything including Aspirations and breaking points), you'll be all set! I'm hoping to start the game by Monday.

Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 31 Jan 2015, 10:29

Ok pm sent hopefully I got everything..let me know if i missed something lol.

That was fun.

Also I guess we will worry about equipment etc later? I don't want to make assumptions there. In fact I'd be fairly content to let you give me a list of the stuff I have.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 31 Jan 2015, 10:32

Yeah, that'll come up in gameplay. Bear in mind that you're a group of ordinary friends on a road trip. You'll bring the essentials, like your wallets and maybe a first aid kid, but you'll have no reason to believe you'll run into monsters.

Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 03 Feb 2015, 00:12

I feel like my character should have a nickname of some sort, but I kind of don't want to be the one to choose it. After all, nicknames are usually given by others. What does everyone else think?
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 03 Feb 2015, 03:57

Agreed, a nickname would be good. Nothing springs to mind right away though. Give it time perhaps as your character develops something with kind of leap out and stick.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 03 Feb 2015, 05:47

If Jam's character is "Big Nate," how do you feel about "Little Nate." :P

Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 04 Feb 2015, 12:54

Little Nate would work, if that's what the group feels is the best choice. For that matter, so would just calling him Goodman, or Webhead, I should think. =P
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 04 Feb 2015, 21:10

Important point of clarification: is this game a period piece, back in the olden days of the original LRRcon, or is this a still hypothetical LRRcon 2 (or higher)?

Also, are we in a specific town or region to start with? I don't recall it being said.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 05 Feb 2015, 06:16

I like the idea of this being future LRRCon, if only so we can go full meta and have our characters meeting ourselves :)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Feb 2015, 06:20

This is a hypothetical future LRRcon, yes. Call it LRRcon 2. And you're in Boston. Sorry, I hadn't really decided until right just now.

My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 05 Feb 2015, 06:22

*mentally insert Bob Chipman's voice for all other characters...*
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 12 Feb 2015, 14:20

A question for future reference: How does Meditation work?
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 12 Feb 2015, 14:26

Meditation requires an extended action, which is to say that you need to accumulate a specific number of successes over a series of rolls, with each roll taking a certain amount of time. This is meant to represent elaborate tasks like fixing a car or researching an ancient manuscript.

In Meditation's case, it requires an extended roll of Wits + Composure. You need a total of four successes, with each roll taking thirty minutes. Once you achieve success, you gain a point of Willpower and a +1 bonus to your next breaking point roll.

Of course, this requires at least 30 minutes of uninterrupted peace so your character can turn his attention inward. Something that I doubt is forthcoming in a dingy basement while chained to a radiator.

Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 12 Feb 2015, 14:29

Aye, the time factor is the biggest one. I do have an advantage in regards to meditation, and not enough so to make it viable under the current circumstances. As I say, a question for future reference.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 12 Feb 2015, 14:30

You haven't spent any Willpower to regain anyway.

Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 12 Feb 2015, 14:46

Due to Meditative Mind, a successful meditation would also grant me a +3 bonus on Resolve + Composure rolls taken during the same day. Unless I can't meditate without having expended Willpower to recover, I feel losing out on regaining the Willpower would be an acceptable trade off.

Actually, if my understanding of the rules are accurate, my combination of Merits halves the time required for extended actions (Good Time Management), grants me +2 dice to roll on extended actions (Patient), and in the specific case of Meditation, reduces my required successes from 4 to 1 while negating environment penalties (Meditative Mind). I'm not sure if it actually stacks like that, and if it does, I feel it would make sense for the character - as a daily practice in preparation for his work, he would likely have needed to learn how to adapt to the time constraints of an inconsistent schedule (if my personal retail experience is anything to go by). The final call is yours, of course, and that's just what I'm seeing in the rules I have. =)
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 12 Feb 2015, 14:51

Jeez, he picked up a lot from that hippy uncle of his, didn't he. :P

Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 12 Feb 2015, 15:06

It certainly seems so. :P There's bound to be some price to pay for all that knowledge (and probably a higher one for the stuff he's learned and since discarded).
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 21 Feb 2015, 16:15

Hey guys...I kinda get the feeling that prospero101 is waiting to see what you might try doing to possibly escape. That's probably why he mentioned your losing a point of willpower. I'm not sure how much I can say, but if you go back and re-read his posts concerning Webhead and Heidi you might get some ideas.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Feb 2015, 03:36

Well spotted... I have an idea (finally), but it'll have to wait until this evening as I was late getting up this morning and have to rush
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Feb 2015, 13:35

Can I request we pause our doubtless breathtaking encounter until Atifexe gets a chance to respond? Otherwise this whole thing might run away from us.

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”