World of Darkness Play By Post: OOC Thread

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

World of Darkness Play By Post: OOC Thread

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Jan 2015, 13:20

The World of Darkness is much like our own. Its denizens live in the same places, listen to the same music, watch the same gawdawful reality television. It's very much like ours, except something is a little...off. The urban decay is more advanced. The politicians more corrupt. And every conspiracy theory, bedtime story, and urban legend you've ever heard is completely true. The World of Darkness is filled with monsters that hide in the shadows and prey on the unaware. Vampires, werewolves, mummies, demons and more stalk the night.

The World of Darkness is one of my favorite settings and systems. It combines elegantly realized urban fantasy with a system that's easy to pick up and play. WoD uses the "Storyteller System," a dice-pool system invented by White Wolf. Using your stats and abilities, you assemble a dice pool of d10s. Let's say you want to shoot a gun. Your Dexerity is 3, and your Firearms skill is 2. So, you assemble a dice pool of five ten-sided dice in total. If you roll an 8, 9, or 10, you've succeeded! What's more, if you roll a 10, you can roll that die again, getting a chance to roll even more successes. Even if that comes up as a 10 as well, you can keep rolling until you don't! One success is enough to pass most challenges, and circumstances can modify your dice pool to your benefit or detriment. That's all there is to it!

There are various other mechanics to understand, such as combat, extended tasks, and so on, but it's probably best to explain them as they come up. The dice-pool mechanic is the one used most often.

Hunter: The Vigil
You used to be like everyone else. You used to live in blissful ignorance of those things out there in the night. But then something happened. They came for you, or your children, or your lover. But you were different. You would not submit. You bought a shotgun and a flashlight, and waited for them in a crevice deep in the woods. You took up the Vigil, holding a candle up to the wretched darkness - or setting it aflame. The Vigil never ends, but you're beginning to like it that way.

"The All-Night Society." You live in a normal city somewhere on the eastern seaboard of the United States. After frequenting the forums for a while, you formed a bond with a few other LoadingReadyRun fans who live in your city. You chat, hang out, play games. Once a week you all meet in an old-fashioned all-night diner to have dinner and bitch about your jobs. It's become the one thing you look forward to every week. The diner staff has taken to calling your group "the All-Night Society." LRRcon is coming up in a few weeks, so you all decide to pile into a station wagon and make the trip to Seattle cross-country. What could go wrong?

PLAYERS:
Belgarion
Jamfalcon
My Pseudonym is Ix, also my username is too long.
Atifexe
Last edited by Prospero101 on 29 Jan 2015, 17:37, edited 5 times in total.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Belgarion
First Video: The Wire

Re: World of Darkness Play By Post

Postby Belgarion » 29 Jan 2015, 13:57

I've never played World of Darkness before but it sounds like fun. I'd like to play if that's ok with you. Not sure how to roll up a character but I'm sure you and Google can help with that.

Off to do some googling!
If the scapegoat ever goes extinct, who are we going to blame?
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Jan 2015, 14:01

Woohoo! Fast interest!. :)

I'm more than happy to provide character sheets and walk everyone through the character creation process. In addition, all the World of Darkness books are available as PDFs from DriveThruRPG.com.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Jan 2015, 14:07

Sorry to double post, but I spoke to Jamfalcon on Skype a while ago and he said he'd be into this. I'll still want to confirm that with him and make sure he's aware of the thread, but I'm going to put him down for now.

Still one slot left!

Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 29 Jan 2015, 14:11

A character sheet along with a walk through of character creation would be great. Unfortunately I don't have a way to pay for the pdf's right now. (No credit card or paypal)However there is a place in town that sells used RGP books. I might just get lucky and find the core rule book for sale there. I'll be headed down that way on the weekend willt ake a look and see if i get lucky.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Jan 2015, 14:15

Like I said, I can easily be your rulebook if you don't find what you're looking for. The books you're looking for would be: Vampire the Requiem: Second Edition (also known as Blood and Smoke: the Strix Chronicle), World of Darkness Rulebook, and the God-Machine Chronicle.

The GMC has a bunch of rules updates we'll be using. You don't actually have to pay for that one if you're not interested. They give away the rules errata for free, so I've no issues sharing that one.

Do either of my ideas strike your fancy? If not, I can share some of my other ones.

Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 29 Jan 2015, 14:22

I like the Hunter: The Vigil idea. When I played Rifts (tabletop) I had several bad experiences with Vampires. Including being turned into a vampire only to be killed by my former companions lol.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Jan 2015, 14:24

Oooh, I like Rifts. I considered running that instead, but I love WoD even more. Okay, one vote for Hunter!

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 29 Jan 2015, 14:32

Oh alright then, you've spent enough time raving about it :) No preference for setting
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Jan 2015, 14:38

I would've asked you sooner if you'd log in to Skype, you idjit. :P

Alright! So Jam's busy at the moment, when he gets back to us we'll get started.

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 29 Jan 2015, 14:42

I wish I were on Skype too, the internet here is absysmal *grumblehotelwifigrumble*
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 29 Jan 2015, 14:50

I'm sorry I don't have skype either. I have a pretty poor computer so any excess load makes it slower than molasses in winter.

Also, I am gone for the night, being taken out for free food. I tried googling how to generate a character but didn't come across anything too helpful. Admittedly I didn't spend much time looking though cause I'm kind of in a hurry at the moment. Will definitely check back in first thing in the morning.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Jan 2015, 14:52

You must have a really shitty computer if it considers Skype labor-intensive. Doing the character creation process via the forums is going to be cumbersome, but we can do it.

Ix, any idea when you'll get back to civilization? We can make your character via Skype if you like.

Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 29 Jan 2015, 15:24

I was totally interested in jumping in on this, and I see you already have three players! Are you up for starting a waiting list, in case slots open up?
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Jan 2015, 15:45

Hmm.

You know what...I don't think four players is much removed from three. I'd be happy to bring you in, Atifexe. Any more than that, though, I might have trouble giving each player the attention they deserve.

JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 29 Jan 2015, 17:00

Curses, seem to have missed my chance. :) That's OK though.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Jan 2015, 17:09

Arrrrrrrgh! Can I do five? I don't know if I can. Best err on the side of caution.

I should've realized you'd be into this, JackSlack. We've discussed WoD in the past. If this goes well, I'll probably be running WoD games pretty continuously. Maybe next time?

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 29 Jan 2015, 17:32

I'm definitely still interested, yes! And I like the sounds of the Hunter idea a bit more too, it looks like it will be fun. :)
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Jan 2015, 17:33

The Hunter game it is! Atifexe, do you have Skype or some other method to directly contact you? It'll make the character creation process easier.

Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Re: World of Darkness Play By Post: OOC Thread

Postby Atifexe » 29 Jan 2015, 17:49

I do! I'll send you a PM with the info.
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 30 Jan 2015, 05:54

I found (and printed a few copies) of this Character Sheet:

http://www.thesubnet.com/officialcharac ... alInt4.pdf

Will this work?

Oh and yes, my computer sucks ass. I have a very limited budget so I couldn't afford much.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 30 Jan 2015, 06:48

Sadly, that's the sheet for the previous version. I'm using the second edition, which you can find right here.

Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 30 Jan 2015, 09:21

Lmao...it figures. But no worries i can use the old sheet I printed out as practice and scrap paper.

Also, try as I might I can;t seem to find anything on creating a character for world of darkness. Othere than a youtube video, but its not all that helpful if you don;t have the books, from what I can tell.
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 30 Jan 2015, 14:20

I think I got a handle on creating a character. It took some doing but this is what I came up with.

Mark Clark Age:25 Concept: Street Punk turned Med Student
Virtue: Fortitude Vice: Sloth

Attributes:
Int: 3 Str: 2 Presence: 1
Wits: 3 Dex: 2 Manip: 2
Res: 2 Stam: 3 Comp: 3
(5) (4) (3)

Mental (11) Academics: 1
Computer: 1
Investigation: 2
Medical: 4
Science: 3

Physical (7) Athletics: 1
Brawl: 1
Drive: 1
Firearms: 1
Stealth: 1
Survival: 1
Weaponry: 1

Social (4) Empathy: 2
Expression: 1
Persuasion: 1

Merits: Ambidextrous: 3
Eidetic Memory: 2
Meditative: 1
Direction Sense: 1

I also did the part where you figure things out, like Health etc., but I don't really understand the 3 special skills. Also I'm not really sure about what kinds of equipment I would have.

And finally I really don't get the supernatural template thing mentioned on one of the places I used to make the character (the other being the youtube video i mentioned), see link below:

http://www.angelfire.com/punk/wodgeek/N ... ation.html

How did I do? lol
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 30 Jan 2015, 14:29

Not bad, actually. You made a first edition character, though. Fortunately, the process is pretty similar, we just need to add a few things.

First, you need to pick three Aspirations for your character. These are things that you, as a player, want your character to accomplish. These are the main ways that you gain story Beats (the experience unit in WoD) and help me make stories that matter to you. They can be literally anything from "get a promotion at work" to "kill the vampire that took over the Kaiser Corporation." Two of them should be relatively short term, while the third should be something ambitious and long term.

Bear in mind that you're on a road trip with friends, and you're going to evolve into a hunter by encountering all manner of mystery along the way. So Aspirations should be created in that context.

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”