World of Darkness Gameplay Thread

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: World of Darkness Gameplay Thread

Postby Jamfalcon » 13 Feb 2015, 16:47

Big Nate glances warily back at the gas station. "I didn't see exactly what it was that kid did, and I think I want to keep it that way." He wipes some of the sweat off of his forehead, regaining his composure. "I don't think it's too far to walk to town. Whatever is going on here... but I don't want to just leave Little Nate and Heidi to die... so you know what? Let's see what we can get out of the thing inside. But first, if he's staying quiet, lets grab some food off the shelves, we might need it if we're going to have to run and get back to town on foot. Then we get the best weapons we can find around here, and one of us tries to get the kid to talk while the other stands outside at the ready."
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Belgarion
First Video: The Wire

Postby Belgarion » 14 Feb 2015, 03:20

Mark pats Nate's tool bag saying "I think the best weapons we can find will be in here." He pauses to take another shaky breath then continues "What the kid did exactly, is quite hard to describe. I'm not sure I believe it, and I was there. When the time comes though, I want to be the one who makes the attempt to activate it. I feel like I need to face it again, for obvious reasons." he adds with a smirk and a brief glance downward.

"The food thing is a good idea too, however, we are going to have to be extremely careful. If this place supposedly disappeared 50 years ago and we are interacting with some kind of memory or mirage, we need to be doubly sure its safe before we eat it. The last thing we need is food poisoning on top of everything else."

Again he pauses for a long nervous breath "The kid didn't move when I went to get cleaned up, so I think it should be safe enough to peruse the shelves, but if the kid starts to scream like radio interference on steroids bolt for the door as quickly as you can. Let's do this!"

Edit:
OOC: including a wis+inv roll (-2) for checking the food

3 d10 rolls: 8, 8, 5

Edit 2: order of operations
1. Search through tool bag for weapons
2. Check shelves for safely edible food
3. Once Nate is ready try activating the kid again
Last edited by Belgarion on 14 Feb 2015, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
If the scapegoat ever goes extinct, who are we going to blame?
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 14 Feb 2015, 09:30

"Sound like a plan," Big Nate agree with a curt nod.

I wrote a book!
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 17 Feb 2015, 18:30

Nate shifts uncomfortably. The idea of waiting doesn't sit well with him, but under the circumstances, he can't really think of an alternative. With nothing else to do and no idea how long they will have to wait, he takes a deep breath, tries to sit reasonably comfortably, and focuses on meditating.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 18 Feb 2015, 13:26

Unfortunately, you're chained to a radiator in somebody's basement while a strange man-ghost-thing stares at you relentlessly and giant metal gears grind in the background. This environment is prohibitive to meditation. In fact, it's so demoralizing just sitting here doing nothing that both Nate and Heidi lose a point of Willpower. (Trying to encourage you to think and take some action. :P )

Meanwhile, Mark finds a hefty tire iron and a big wrench inside Big Nate's toolkit. They have a nice weight to them and seem like they'd make effective weapons. Mark and Big Nate both take a deep breath and shove the door to Last Gas open again. Mark loses a point of Willpower as the kid behind the counter turns his unwavering gaze towards him. It's as if he knows. Who knows, maybe he does.

A quick assessment of the food on the shelves reveals that all the brands are just as old as the rest of the place. The shelves and boxes are caked with dust, as if they haven't been moved or touched for years. Beyond that, nothing is obviously smelly or rotten aside from the fridge contained the milk and dairy products, which obviously hasn't worked for some time. It's difficult to assess whether the food on the shelves is edible or not.

EDIT: Stats for the tire iron and wrench are as follows:

TIRE IRON : A simple black tire iron in a cross shape.
Damage: 2 (meaning you get two bonus successes to damage if you hit)
Initiative penalty: -3 (carrying heavy weapons slows you down somewhat)
Strength Requirement: 2 (How many dots in Strength you need to wield it effectively)
Size: 2 (How big a thing is in game terms. Not generally relevant with stuff like this)
Special: +1 Defense (Any special properties the weapon might have)

WRENCH : A big, heavy, rusty iron monkey wrench.
Damage: 2
Initiative penalty: -2
Strength Req: 2
Size: 2
Special: None (Other than, y'know, wrenching things)
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 18 Feb 2015, 14:01

Mark considers both the tire iron and the wrench, weighing each in his "weapon" hand. Even going so far as to give each one a couple of test swings before deciding that even though the tire iron feels like it would provide more protection he opts for the large wrench. Hell, Nate is much stronger, so the tire iron would do more good in his hands anyway he thinks as he places the tire iron back in the trunk.

Inside the store, the food is pretty much was Mark expected. Leaning in so he doesn;t have to speak too loudly he says "I can't really tell if any of this stuff is edible or not. But given the amount of dust and expiration dates I'm not going to take any chances."

Turning a nervous eye on the kid, Mark notices his hands are shaking a bit more and he can feel his legs starting to treble as well. In a quiet but very shaky voice he says to Nate "I'll wait until you are in place first. Then I'll go see if I can wake up the kid again.

Once Nate is just outside the door as had be decided, Mark moves with determination, even though he is visibly shaking and his voice quavers and cracks he says, speaking to the person he thinks is watching through the kids eyes "I'm pretty sure you are watching me. I"m right here....let's get the show going. As he finishes speaking Mark, forcing himself to keep his eyes locked on the kids eyes, he reaches out and places his hand on the kid's shoulder.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 18 Feb 2015, 14:17

Outside, Big Nate holds his breath, a grips the tire iron as tightly as he can. His eyes dart in all directions, watching for any sign of movement, and ready to strike at a moment's notice.

I wrote a book!
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 18 Feb 2015, 14:48

As he runs over the situation again and again in his head, Nate finds that concentration just isn't possible. He feels a familiar frustration rising inside him - the same one he's felt so many times before when he's tried to play his way out of a bad hand or a bad pool in a Magic event.

And for some reason, that sticks. We've mulliganed to four and we still have no lands, he thinks, letting out a chuckle and shaking his head. With a wry smile, he looks up at their captor. Odds are this guy won't get the joke even if he explains it, and Heidi doesn't seem to be in any mood to laugh. Still, who knows? "Hey, you," he calls out. "Do you play Magic?"
Last edited by Atifexe on 18 Feb 2015, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 18 Feb 2015, 14:49

Mark's hand passes right through the kid's shoulder. It feels like it's submerged in a bucket of ice water. It seems the kid is entirely insubstantial. The kid also doesn't react to anything Mark is doing. He merely stares.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 18 Feb 2015, 15:16

Marks' shoulders slump, but the shakes subsides as well "Damn....I was really hoping that would work." he mutters in a defeated voice. Moving quickly to where Nate stands just outside the shop he continues, trying to sound positive "I really hoped that would bring that strange man back but I was wrong."

He glances back over his shoulder for a moment then turns back "Unless you want to give it a try? I don't think it would make much difference but at this point it wouldn't hurt. I'll let you make that decision though. Either way is fine.

Sighing he turns and looks resolutely in the direction of the town "It looked like the guy who took Nate and Heidi left in the direction of the town. It's not going to be easy and we'll need some luck, but I'd say out next move is to grab the important stuff from teh car and make out way there. We can have a look around, maybe we can find something that will tell us were Nate and Heidi are. What do you think?"
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 18 Feb 2015, 16:07

Big Nate ponders the suggestion, trying to think if it's worth confronting the creepy thing for himself. "I can't imagine my prodding will make that guy come back any more than yours would. I think you're right, we need to just hike towards town. Let's grab what we need out of the car."

As Big Nate pops open the trunk and grabs his bag, he considers TIny Nate and Heidi's. "Guess we can leave these here. It's too much to carry it all, and it seems unlikely that we're going to be on the road for weeks now." He does grab Tiny Nate's briefcase of Magic cards, knowing that the legacy deck it contains is worth more than the car.

"I wonder if we can call a cab out here?" He checks the phone to see if it's still getting a signal.

I wrote a book!
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 18 Feb 2015, 16:18

No, no you can't get a cab out in the middle of nowhere. The nearest town of any size (that isn't Starkesborough) is at least forty miles away. :P

Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 18 Feb 2015, 16:22

Big Nate shrugs as he realizes what a stupid idea it was. "Never mind me, just thinking out loud. We should probably get walking if we're going to, yeah?"

I wrote a book!
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 19 Feb 2015, 03:18

Mark shrugs his backpack on to his shoulders and grins impudently as Nate when he comments about calling a cab. Once again he does a mental inventory of the contents and worries that he might be missing something, or leaving something behind he might need.

Opening a bottle of water and taking a quick drink he says "I just hope this mirage or whatever it is doesn't disappear before we find our friends. I don't mind telling you that everything that is happening or has happened is giving me a major case of the jitters. Almost absently he takes up the mop handle after stowing the wrench in his back pocket.

After taking one final look around, as if to fix things in his memory, Mark turns in the direction he saw the man go with his friends "I guess now is a good time to start.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 21 Feb 2015, 17:43

Atifexe wrote:As he runs over the situation again and again in his head, Nate finds that concentration just isn't possible. He feels a familiar frustration rising inside him - the same one he's felt so many times before when he's tried to play his way out of a bad hand or a bad pool in a Magic event.

And for some reason, that sticks. We've mulliganed to four and we still have no lands, he thinks, letting out a chuckle and shaking his head. With a wry smile, he looks up at their captor. Odds are this guy won't get the joke even if he explains it, and Heidi doesn't seem to be in any mood to laugh. Still, who knows? "Hey, you," he calls out. "Do you play Magic?"

(Holy crap, how did I miss this?? Sorry!)

The man blinks, clearly failing to understand the reference. He glances at his watch again. He's getting impatient. It's the first emotion you've seen out of him. "There is no 'magic,' mortal. There is merely the will and Infrastructure of the Clockmaker. Such things are beyond your meager comprehension, and so you call it 'magic.'"

The man is clearly getting testy. He's no longer standing perfectly still, instead shuffling back and forth on his feet, shifting his wait from one to the other. At one point his left leg shifts and his right arm leaves the pool of light and disappears entirely.

(A Manipulation + Empathy roll will help you learn more.)

Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 21 Feb 2015, 19:15

(Well, I have just completely whiffed on everything today. I completely misunderstood who was waiting for whom. But I'm on top of it now, and we're moving right along.)

Mark and Big Nate make their way down the old, cracked, winding highway to the small town of Starkesborough. There's nothing unusual in itself about the walk. Two things, however stand out to you.

The first is that you notice an unusual number of cars by the side of the road. You see maybe half a dozen cars of various model and age all pulled over to the sides of the road. Some of them have their hoods up, a relic of some long-dead engine trouble.

The second is a soft, yet constant whispering. At first you think it might be leaves rustling in the trees, but as you get closer to the town, it gets louder. It sounds nothing like the hissing static of the kid at the gas station. It sounds like a bunch of people trying their very best to be quiet in the back of a church. As you approach the town's so-called main drag, the noise becomes deafening. You have to shout to hear each other.

The aforementioned main drag is a lackluster one. Three stores line the street to your right. Each has a peeling, barely legible sign: the one to your immediate right is Lucky's Hardware Supply. The one next to that is First Edition Used Books. The one at the end is the Kindred Spirits bar. They all seem to be abandoned, their storefronts dusty and deteriorated.

To your left is a low, winding road that leads to a housing development. Cookie-cutter exact copies of two-story houses, complete with rotting picket fences, stretch out to the horizon. These have the tall, unkempt grass and dingy siding of places that haven't been tended to in a long time.

At the end of the street is a church. It stands out from the rest of the buildings due to the height of its belfry and its shatter stained glass window. A dilapidated sign in front of it reads "CHU H OF STA KES BO UGH. BIBL STUDY TU AT 6:3 SERV CES SU DAY 10:00, 12:0, 2" It shares a sense of decay and vacancy with the rest of the town.

You can see two streets branching out on either side of the church, but you can't see what's down them from where you're standing.
Last edited by Prospero101 on 21 Feb 2015, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 21 Feb 2015, 19:23

Looking around the town slowly, Big Nate clutches his tire iron more tightly. "Look at..." he begins, before realizing Mark won't be able to hear him over the noise. Raising his voice, he begins again. "Look at all these cars! This is seriously giving me the creeps, and that's not even getting into the noise! I don't see any signs of where the others might be... could be any of those houses!"

He peers around, looking for any sign of life. "Maybe let's go into the hardware store. See if we can find something better suited to dealing with whatever the hell is going on! And then maybe we check the bar or church to see if there's anyone around, maybe we can ask if they know who that was?"

I wrote a book!
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 22 Feb 2015, 03:13

Mark's heart is beating a rapid tattoo in his chest and his hands constantly shake. Suffice it to say he more than a little on edge. Not trusting himself to speak, knowing that his voice will crack and quaver, he nods in agreement at Nate's suggestions.

Pointing to the hardware store he makes a baseball bat swinging motion indicating that might just make a better weapon than the mop handle he is carrying. He also tries to pantomime a lock picking motion, hopping his big friend will catch the idea that he would like to look for things that might help open locked doors.

Finally finding his voice he shouts in a very shaky voice "After the store, I think we should try the church first. No idea why, just call it a gut instinct."

EDIT: Would my Encyclopedic Knowledge: Streetwise be of any use here?
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 22 Feb 2015, 07:43

I'm afraid not. This place is just too small and abandoned.

As you approach the hardware store, you notice that the sign on the door reads OPEN, despite the fact that this place is obviously abandoned. The door is unlocked, and the bell above the door rings with a merry, if dusty, jingle.

Most of the lights are out. There are a few rows of shelves separating you from a counter spanning the width of the store in the back. There are no signs of panic, looting, or anything untoward happening in this place before it was abandoned. To your eyes, it appears that at one moment it was a brightly lit, bustling place, and the next it was not.

The only light you can see is a flickering flourescent tube some distance behind the cash register, in front of a workbench. As soon as the door clicks shut behind you, the whispering stops and you hear only the buzz and click of that one light.

Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 22 Feb 2015, 08:21

"Oh!" exclaims Mark as the doors clicks shut, "It stopped!" He pauses a moment to take a few deep breaths and compose himself, the he says to Nate in a wry voice "It's a good I emptied my bladder earlier, otherwise I might have done it here. The strange whispering and the feel of this place has my nerves wound up tight."

Feeling slightly better, Mark turns his attention to the shelves, hoping to find things he might find useful. "Perhaps some rope, and maybe a flashlight..." he mutters absently as he begins to move carefully about the store, pausing often to look around to make sure its just him and Nate in the shop still. Speaking louder so Nate can hear he adds "By the looks of the place it almost feels like an invasion of the body snatchers scenario. You know here one moment gone the next. Let't hope we can find stuff that hasn't rotted. If this place has been abandoned for 50 years like the gas station, pickings may be slim.

OOC: looking for some sturdy rope, a working flashlight, and a baseball bat or something similar. (I know its kinda a long-shot lol)

Edit: I am also going to look for some earplugs or something I can use as a substitute for earplugs.
Last edited by Belgarion on 22 Feb 2015, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 22 Feb 2015, 09:43

Big Nate gets searching as well, also for rope and flashlights. For himself, he'd like to find a more effective weapon. Perhaps a sledgehammer, or even a pipe or metal bar heavier than his tire iron. Some sort of blade might be worthwhile too, he decides, something small enough to keep in his pocket or bag, in case he needs to free up his hands.

I wrote a book!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Feb 2015, 11:31

Prospero101 wrote:The man blinks, clearly failing to understand the reference. He glances at his watch again. He's getting impatient. It's the first emotion you've seen out of him. "There is no 'magic,' mortal. There is merely the will and Infrastructure of the Clockmaker. Such things are beyond your meager comprehension, and so you call it 'magic.'"

Annoying interrogation victims? This is right up Heidi's street.

"Clockmaker? We talking John Harrison-level stuff, 'cause that man was one hell of a boss. Or any of the automaton manufacturers from the turn of the century, before the days of computers- those things make modern robots look embarassing by comparison. Or are we not up to speed with the non-deterministic quantum view of the universe?"

(Manipulation + Empathy roll to basically phrase this such as to draw stuff out of him. 4d10 yields 3 successes altogether)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 22 Feb 2015, 12:09

Mark and Big Nate:

Yeah, that's a pretty tall order for a store like this. So I'm going to acquire an extended Wits + Investigation roll from both of you. Here's how it works. Instead of needing to assemble all your successes in a single roll, you have multiple rolls to accumulate a set number of successes, each roll taking a span of time. In this case, I'm going to need you to roll Wits + Investigation, and accumulate a total of ten successes between the two of you. That is, both of your totals together need to equal or exceed ten. Not ten each. You're allowed to make a number of rolls equal to your dice pool. (So, if your Wits + Investigation pool is 5, you make five rolls before you give up.) Each roll takes ten minutes of searching.

The nice thing about extended rolls is that they allow for degrees of success. So you might not find everything you want, but odds are you'll find at least something. Big Nate, I see you have no Investigation skill. You could still do the search, but at a -1 penalty, which would reduce your dice pool to zero. Would you like to use a chance die? A chance die is one die, a last-ditch effort if your dice pool is reduced to zero or less. If you succeed, great! If you roll a 1, though, it's a DRAMATIC failure, which is like a critical failure in other games. Alternatively, you can avoid the risk and leave Mark to do the search on his own. He'll still need ten successes to find everything he wants.

Heidi and Wee Little Nate:

The man stops fidgeting and squints at Heidi for several long moments, as if desperately trying to understand what she was saying. "I...do not understand. The Clockmaker is the Clockmaker. A God from the Machine. He-Who-Walks-Behind-The-Gears. You know nothing of your creator?"

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Feb 2015, 12:13

Heidi suppresses a slight grin. This is much more like her idea of good fun.

"Not ringing any bells dude. Then again, I never was much of a one for Sunday School. Why, should I know him?"
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 22 Feb 2015, 12:16

The man's face briefly softened, but grew hard and blank once more. "I pity you, mortal. Truly, I do. Fortunately, the God-Machine requires neither your awareness nor your worship."

He turns his back to you, staring at the gears as they continually ground and spun behind him. "Your essence will lubricate the gears well enough regardless of what you may or may not know of the Clockmaker." He glanced at his watch again. You can hear a distant bell above you strike eleven times. "The appointed moment is almost at hand."

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”