Loading Time - Laughter [cH]

Talk about our latest behind the scenes videos.
Graham
Super Moderator

Loading Time - Laughter [cH]

Postby Graham » 19 Apr 2014, 01:16

Behind the scenes of the commodoreHUSTLE episode Laughter!
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Re: Loading Time - Laughter [cH]

Postby nicholasmc1 » 19 Apr 2014, 02:10

Either I'm drunk or that was a really ghetto loading time.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 19 Apr 2014, 02:16

as someone from the UK, where literally everyone learns to drive standard, I still find the idea that someone might not know how to use a clutch very strange.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 19 Apr 2014, 05:34

I know it is this way a lot of places but the fact that you learn to drive from your parents/acquaintances and not someone who does this for a living is something I found weird, as you would learn them all your bad habits
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 19 Apr 2014, 09:17

I learned to drive from both my mom and from the public school system here in Florida. Neither taught how to drive standard and its never came up that I needed to drive one.

Glad we finally got to see the inside of the function generator! Still have no clue what it actually does XD

Is the Loading Time for building the streaming office still happening?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 19 Apr 2014, 23:21

nicholasmc1 wrote:Either I'm drunk or that was a really ghetto loading time.
It could be both?

It was lighter than some (some video just have less behind-the-scenes to shoot. The next one cH one is great.
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 21 Apr 2014, 10:50

iamafish wrote:as someone from the UK, where literally everyone learns to drive standard, I still find the idea that someone might not know how to use a clutch very strange.

Not everyone, it seems; Top Gear has shown us several celebrities who didn't know how to drive stick.

In the old car they would just put them in the manual regardless of previous experience, and if they failed, they failed.

Celebrities who used an automatic:
Christopher Eccleston
will.i.am
Amber Heard
Alice Cooper (can drive manual, but couldn't get used to stick on the left)
Jack Whitehall (second time he ever drove)

Off the top of my head, Johnny Vegas was unlicensed, Sienna Miller had just got her license, and Jeff Goldblum had never driven a manual, so the Stig told him to stay in third the whole lap, so he would never have to downshift on the clock.

Yes, I realize several of those guests are American. :)

In any case, I still find it disappointing that so many people don't know how to drive a manual. If you have a physical reason you can't that's one thing, but there are people who refuse to learn because it's "too hard", or some other such reason.

I'm guessing the Miata has a system that simply won't let you start if you're in gear, cause otherwise Beej would've noticed the clutch wasn't in. I learned to drive on a car that would jump forward 2 feet if you tried to do that. :)
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Apr 2014, 12:50

GM and other American car manufactures inundated the North American market in the post-WWII period with automatic cars, the rapidly expanding market for cars through the 50's and 60's meant that for most people buying their first car standard wasn't an option, and the ease of use and low fuel costs of the period meant that even those who did learn on standard transmissions were easy to convert.

Once the US car manufactures began to expand heavily overseas, they began to produce cars with standard transmissions in large quantities again, but by that point automatic transmissions had become so normal there was never any big push to go back in the US (the 1973 oil crises notwithstanding). Meanwhile as overseas manufactures began to break into the North American market, they started to mass produce automatic transmissions where previously higher oil prices in their native markets had stopped any attempt to introduce automatic cars in a large scale.

What I'm getting at is that automatic transmission is so entrenched in North America, and manual transmission so entrenched elsewhere, that neither group is going to change any time soon.

When my brother decided to get a car with a manual transmission, he had to go out to the one family friend we had who drives manual to teach him. Even my father who grew up in the UK hasn't driven stick in 30 years.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 21 Apr 2014, 15:24

Master Gunner wrote:When my brother decided to get a car with a manual transmission, he had to go out to the one family friend we had who drives manual to teach him. Even my father who grew up in the UK hasn't driven stick in 30 years.

In my experience in New Hampshire, it seemed more common than that. Most adults I knew drove manuals. I'd put the difference down to snow driving, but if you live in New Brunswick... not sure.
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 21 Apr 2014, 17:10

Over here they're pretty common, maybe... 20% of vehicles of people that I know? I've never driven a manual, but my parents do own one (and have had others in the past), so it's definitely something I should try sometime, to open up the option should it be needed later.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Apr 2014, 03:50

When I learned to drive (manual, like most Brits) I had no idea why; I had nothing I particularly needed to drive for. Since coming to uni, however, it has proved insanely useful for refereeing; one of those life skills that opens up so many options
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 22 Apr 2014, 05:30

I really should learn to drive ASAP. My learner's permit expires in October, so I'd have to do the written test again if it expires. I've yet to take any driving lessons or even once gotten behind the wheel of a vehicle though.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 22 Apr 2014, 08:04

I should have learned to drive long ago. I partially learned to drive about ten years ago but I lost interest in doing it. This is the issue with living in cities with decent public transport systems: you do not need to be able to drive anywhere. I should have learned to drive here in Australia as there are fewer hoops to jump through compared to Canada.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Apr 2014, 08:21

Trust me- trying to get to rugby clubs, which are always in the arse end of nowhere, it don't matter how good the local transport infrastructure is- you goddamn NEED a car
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."

Return to “Loading Time”