Friday Nights: White Loxodon Exchange

Talk about the latest LRR draft videos or Friday Nights.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Friday Nights: White Loxodon Exchange

Postby Paul » 23 Jan 2015, 12:02

It's Alex's birthday, and for his party all he wants is a white Loxodon gift exchange. And maybe some nails. #value
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Re: Friday Nights: White Loxodon Exchange

Postby Duckay » 23 Jan 2015, 13:35

The cutaway to Marshall made me laugh extremely hard.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 23 Jan 2015, 13:42

Am I the only person who uses dice as counters? Everyone in my gaming circles does.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 23 Jan 2015, 13:45

There's an important point to consider, which is that the times that I intend to use dice as counters and the times that I have dice on hand because I haven't forgotten them do not have perfect overlap.
RoentgeniumFinger

Postby RoentgeniumFinger » 23 Jan 2015, 15:40

Loved the video even though I don't play magic. Cam's deadpan 'yo ho' just killed me. In addition, this has basically been several white elephant exchanges I've been to. A+ overall. However, I do have one question. Why were you using nails designed for a nail gun?
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 23 Jan 2015, 15:44

Duckay wrote:The cutaway to Marshall made me laugh extremely hard.

I have to admit that while it was amusing... what was the point of that? Does Marshall have the ability to hear someone open packs intended for drafting?
OneirosGolem
First Video: Checkpoint - Blizzard of Cash

Postby OneirosGolem » 23 Jan 2015, 16:04

There seemed to be a running gag of "Hands from offscreen", starting with Kathleen taking the sleeves from Alex. Gave an odd vibe to the video, but it may have just been me.

ritchards wrote:

I have to admit that while it was amusing... what was the point of that? Does Marshall have the ability to hear someone open packs intended for drafting?
I believe the joke is just that Marshall REALLY LOVES the sound of cracking a pack.

Edit: Also, the new cast cards are great!!
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 23 Jan 2015, 16:30

OneirosGolem wrote:
ritchards wrote:

I believe the joke is just that Marshall REALLY LOVES the sound of cracking a pack.

Also the smell. Don't forget the smell. He will fight you if you rob him of that chance to partake of new pack smell.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
wizzerd229
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wizzerd229 » 23 Jan 2015, 17:07

James in a Pizza John shirt made me incredibly happy
I owe Graham a beer.

Zeke229 on twitch

ask me shit ask.fm/Zeke229

become my steam friend ( i dont multiplayer though ) http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zeke229

Pronouns They, their
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 23 Jan 2015, 17:34

As a fan of visual gags, the scene of Jer in the store was a delight.
Maf
First Video: I have no idea, actually

Postby Maf » 23 Jan 2015, 18:31

ritchards wrote:I have to admit that while it was amusing... what was the point of that? Does Marshall have the ability to hear someone open packs intended for drafting?

I believe Marsh takes particular exception to opening packs but not drafting them. I hear he's a fan of limited :)
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 23 Jan 2015, 20:05

ritchards wrote:

Marshall has been very insistent from time to time that you shouldn't just open packs for no reason... an opened pack is just a collection of cards, while a sealed pack is a collection of cards with the added value of being a sealed pocket of randomness for use in Limited. If you just open a pack without making use of that randomness (either by using the pack in a Limited game, or at least looking at the pack for learning purposes as they do on Limited Resources for the crack-a-pack) then you're throwing away value. (The correct answer is to draft with them.)

Marshall has made this point on Twitter enough that it's somewhat of a meme that Marshall can feel the disturbance in the force every time it happens...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Evil Smurf
First Video: I can't remember, it was on the escapist

Postby Evil Smurf » 24 Jan 2015, 06:10

I discovered that I am both Cam, and Alex. I construct white weenie decks, and draft mono red.
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 24 Jan 2015, 06:15

Loved it, my favorite part was easily Paul's gift of all the rule cards. It definitely felt like something FN/CH Paul would do.
Also loved the new cast cards (Especially Pauls because banding), but Alex's super haste is different from actual super haste
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... seid=74324
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 24 Jan 2015, 08:04

I love that the reminder text on the title card for Banding is approximately 75 lines long, and still only manages to cover about half of what banding can do (turns out it does stuff on blocks, too! And it's subtly but surprisingly different!)
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Sampy
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Sampy » 24 Jan 2015, 08:51

This video was really good, like next level good. A lot of people mentioned some of the stuff I liked (cut away to Marshall, visual gags, etc.) but all of it added up to what seemed like a lot of interesting new things to up the comedy game.

I'm not sure if that's a result of having more time due to no more weekly video but if so then I am excited for the year ahead!
AtticusSparrow
First Video: Friday Nights - Untap

Postby AtticusSparrow » 25 Jan 2015, 01:14

Such a solid well made video, and laugh out loud funny. I love the attention to detail from the cards on opening credits, like Cam being a 1/3 to the cutaway to Marshall. Love seeing Jer in these again.

The original Friday Nights is how I found LRR and it's just so brilliant it can still make me laugh so hard.
"Maybe it's blood. Maybe it's Maybelline"
-Alex Steacy
OneirosGolem
First Video: Checkpoint - Blizzard of Cash

Postby OneirosGolem » 25 Jan 2015, 08:18

So I went looking, and I think I found one of the corner cases for James' card in the title sequence.

Fury of the Horde allows you to cause a second combat phase after the second main phase, for the low (?) cost of exiling two other red cards from your hand. Also, it was reprinted in Duel Decks: Speed vs Cunning!

There are a lot of other cards that cause a second combat phase, but a lot of those cause the phase immediately after the first combat phase, so you still wouldn't be able to use James' activated ability. Of those that either create another main phase (or are usable during second main), they often cost 4 or 5 mana with a moderate cost in Red. (Special mention to Seize the Day Which has a 2R Flashback cost.)

The other cards are far from impossible to manage, but I feel there's a significant enough speed difference between your combo requiring GGG & 2 red cards, and requiring 2RGGG or more.
Dandinstorm12
First Video: Sonic and the Black Knight Unskippable

Postby Dandinstorm12 » 25 Jan 2015, 12:25

Marshall isn't big on people opening packs just to get the cards, so the cut to him was brilliant, also the LSV picture was awesome. Death and Taxes is an incredibly annoying deck to play against, and sounds like a Cameron deck (although there aren't many counterspells, I mean, you COULD run Mana Tithe....) Mono Red is pretty strong, Alex is favored here. :) I would like to say that bringing D&D dice to use as counters/rolling for first is perfectly acceptable behavior.
mikeyjh
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby mikeyjh » 25 Jan 2015, 21:02

Bwahahahahaha!

thanks for the video.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 26 Jan 2015, 01:24

OneirosGolem wrote:There seemed to be a running gag of "Hands from offscreen", starting with Kathleen taking the sleeves from Alex. Gave an odd vibe to the video, but it may have just been me.

I noticed that too. Have Kathleen and Graham been watching Every Frame a Painting lately? It reminded me every much of the episode on Edgar Wright.
Last edited by RedNightmare on 26 Jan 2015, 03:47, edited 1 time in total.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 26 Jan 2015, 02:38

I noticed it too, and G mentioned on the PAX panel that Friday Nights lets him play with the cinematography.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Jan 2015, 05:33

Loved the video... Loved the new intro cards.

Note: Paul does NOT give the opponent banding, which is interesting. :D But, to be technical, either giving Paul himself banding was redundant, since he gives creatures you control banding, and he'd always be a creature you control (due to "you" always being his controller)...
OR PAUL HAS DOUBLE BANDING! :D

Kathleen's and Cam's are actually playable, IMO, with Jer's being pretty playable as well.

OK, for all you corner-case people with James' card...

+5/+5 and lifelink is easy to find usage for, particularly fights...
That trample can be useful for a second combat phase...
What about the vigilance?
Seize the day untaps the creature... Do the other "additional combat phase" cards also untap creatures? Otherwise, you'll need to find something to untap them with as well, since they'd probably be tapped from the first combat phase.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 26 Jan 2015, 21:42

Sampy wrote:This video was really good, like next level good. A lot of people mentioned some of the stuff I liked (cut away to Marshall, visual gags, etc.) but all of it added up to what seemed like a lot of interesting new things to up the comedy game.

I'm not sure if that's a result of having more time due to no more weekly video but if so then I am excited for the year ahead!
Thanks!

And yes, having more time to plan shots is GREAT.
Aydin225
First Video: arms race

Postby Aydin225 » 28 Jan 2015, 19:06

I'd love to know more about the emphasis on hand movement in shots for this episode. It was clearly intentional, and the "3 sleeves" joke worked really well, I'm just fascinated by the reasoning behind it

Return to “MtG”