Re: Graham and Paul Let's Play

Postby Graham » 24 Apr 2014, 13:52

I've got a DC somewhere in a closet.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 24 Apr 2014, 13:53

I was thinking - you've used one as a prop before. Though a lot can happen in 7 years.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 01 May 2014, 11:14

Graham wrote:I've got a DC somewhere in a closet.

Illbleed would be great, and there is a surprising amount of variety in its gameplay; some missions have no traps, others are almost only traps. One you start with all your money and have to prevent losing it, etc.

By the same company is Blue Stinger, a hilarious action-adventure from the same era, better then Overblood, but in the same league.
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 20 May 2014, 00:24

I get the feeling that Witcher 2 wasn't the biggest success on GPLP. Much as it pains me to admit (Its one of my favorite games) I get why that is the case, its a slow, lore rich game that builds gradually over time, the combat is there for sure but there is a lot of side questing and world building and, especially in Chapter One it can get a bit wordy.

I would heartily recommend that you play the PC version if you do decide to play it on your own, and I would, its a deep game with ok combat, a great story and choices that actually matter.
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Wooglie
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Wooglie » 20 May 2014, 02:06

I'd recommend connecting your XBox to the internet so it can update its time. I don't know why, but in the past I've had other games load the wrong save game if the time is incorrect.
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 20 May 2014, 02:51

Seeing as how there's going to be a new game on GPLP next week, and having just watched the latest Unskippable (nice one BTW), might I suggest Ryse as the new game?

For one thing it would be the first "next-gen" game on stream, which is mildly interesting in itself(I don't think most of us own a new console yet); it looks super pretty from what I've seen so there's eye candy, and it's also not a particularly good game, while not actually being outright terrible which seems to be the sweet spot for LRR's own brand of streaming entertainment.

Oh and it's also only 6-8 hours long so you can probably finish it in 2-3 sessions.
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 21 May 2014, 13:41

I agree with ArchieO that while Witcher 2 is a good game, it's not well-suited to streaming. Lots of talking, a lot less action. Playing Witcher on stream would be like watching a 20+ hour Unskippable, and that's just not worth it. There's only so many jokes about how seriously the game takes itself, and how dark and edgy it is. Remember Cursed Crusade, and how long it dragged on? Witcher 2 has way more talking, and some of it is actually important.

I, too, would recommend it for non-streaming, to anyone interested in a game that's got a deep story, and lots of talking. Combat's here and there, but it's a game that's almost worth playing for the story itself (almost).
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 21 May 2014, 13:56

ch3m1kal wrote:Seeing as how there's going to be a new game on GPLP next week, and having just watched the latest Unskippable (nice one BTW), might I suggest Ryse as the new game?

For one thing it would be the first "next-gen" game on stream, which is mildly interesting in itself(I don't think most of us own a new console yet); it looks super pretty from what I've seen so there's eye candy, and it's also not a particularly good game, while not actually being outright terrible which seems to be the sweet spot for LRR's own brand of streaming entertainment.

Oh and it's also only 6-8 hours long so you can probably finish it in 2-3 sessions.

Seconded, actually. It reminds me vaguely of Cursed Crusade, which I actually enjoyed watching (well, until the ballache that was the ending)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Dindril
First Video: It was so long ago, I don't remember

Postby Dindril » 23 May 2014, 18:53

Now with Witcher 2 being over, and because I just got a chance to play it and have loved it endlessly, I feel like recommending Puppeteer. It's a pretty excellent platformer, and can be played multiplayer, but without screwing each other up like in most multiplayer platformers. Also I find it really funny.
Sakurazaki
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby Sakurazaki » 08 Jun 2014, 12:05

Since you did it for Unskippable, Way of the Samurai 3 might make a good GPLP game. It's essentially a "choose your own adventure" book, with over 32 different endings depending your actions. This includes a special ending for killing EVERY NPC in the game. Each run can take anywhere from 30min to 2 hours depending on how much you screw around and your particular choices. The combat system requires some finesse (you actually have to worry about breaking your sword), but shouldn't be anywhere as difficult as Revengence.

The game is a bit unpolished, but it's actually an incredibly deep experience once you get into it. If nothing else, the open-ended nature would allow for some great audience participation. The chat could "assist" in making decisions... or just tell you to pull out your sword and interrupt every cutscene....
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 Jun 2014, 18:21

So I gave myself a couple of hours to calm down and went back to watch the replay to confirm that it was as bad as I thought.

in the mono-rail section of the game.

The commander says "there are three stopped trains down there, one of them has a bomb on it, there may be civilians on them, you need to get down there and save them, we will stay up here and cover you."

They then sorta swerve and dump you 10 platforms away from the place you need to be for train one. which has NO LIVE CIVILIANS ON IT.

you clear that train, and run platform to platform to get to the next train, which again has no live civilians on it.

Then more platform jumping to the final train.

All the while if you look outside there is your boss just hovering in the distance. "watching over you"

You get to the last train, which is also stopped, as soon as you get on it, it starts to move and you see all the explosives. Which you say "they are rigged in series, I dont have time to disable them all. (60 second clock)

So you make the jump from the now moving train to the hover ship, pick up the super gun and take out the train with 5 seconds left... it then falls down.

So lets take these one by one.

First they dump you on a platform.

On your very next mission, you shoot a zip line from the hover copter, to the platform your "team" is waiting on.

Second, "there may be civilians on them, you need to get down there and save them" Again on the very next mission you have a heads up display which shows civilians in blue and bad guys in red. If you used that on the trains, BING no civilians just bad guys.

Third. "we will stay out here and cover you" Yet there are more than a dozen enemies between the first and second and second and third train, while your guys are hovering "covering you" that they dont shoot even though he has a super gun, RIGHT NEXT TO HIM.

Forth. "they are rigged in series, I dont have time to disable them all."

In series means ONE DETONATOR WITH A STRING OF BOMBS... Like this
Trigger---*---*---*---*---*

If you disarm the first bomb... the whole thing is disabled, thats how things in series work.

Fifth, the train doesnt start moving until you discover the bomb and they come to recover you.

Sixth you make another super jump, instead of using the zip line which you have, because you use it 2 minutes later.

seventh. You shoot the train off the rail and it falls, next to a support pillar with 5 seconds left. you can see open track beyond, and in the cut scene you see even more open track. If you let it go, it would have exploded in OPEN TRACK. instead you made it fall and explode, AGAINST A SUPPORT PILLAR.

All of this could be fixed with these lines of dialog.

1, 2, 3.

"One of those trains has a bomb on it, but there maybe civilians. scan them to... INCOMING FIGHTERS GO WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU"

4. "these bombs are rigged in "Parallel" I dont have time to disable them all."

5th. just before you kill the bad guys one says "he found us trigger the bomb!"

6th "We made it back, NO TIME TO GRAPPLE! JUMP!"

7th the support rail should have been some sort of huge station... and "The bomb is drawing power from the rail, you can disable it by taking out the train!"

None of these things change the game play, but it closes all the plot holes with SIMPLE dialog changes. I can accept that there are terrorists attacking the planet or city or whatever, I can accept the stupid platforms that paul pointed out. The problem I have with games lie this is when a game shows you have a special power, tool, or ability, but doesnt let you use it, either for bad reasons that dont make sense or just because they dont, is stupid and its lazy. They didnt have to have the commander guy say "We will cover you" if he wasnt going to cover you. They added stuff that made it NOT WORK within its own rules when making it work within the rules WOULD HAVE BEEN EASIER because they wouldnt have had to have that hovercraft hovering off within view.

The trouble with AAA games is that they have gotten so lazy, good games stand out because they close stupid holes like that in ALPHA Builds. If you are spending over $100,000,000 to develop a game, you can hire one QA tester with an associates in Liberal arts in history or English and say "you dont play this to find game play bugs, just check over our story line and note inconsistencies" I fixed 7 plot holes in a way that would SAVE them time and effort, and it took me 30 minutes.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 23 Jun 2014, 21:25

Hosk, that was a BEAUTIFUL critique with GREAT suggestions to fix the shortcomings.

But I'd go one step further - the don't need "QA testers" anymore...

THEY NEED EDITORS.

I mean REAL ones that DO WHAT THEIR JOB TITLES EXPLICITLY DESCRIBE.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 23 Jun 2014, 22:50

Strong points Hosk. Thanks for that breakdown, it's worse than I realized in the moment.
Hiramas
First Video: The Zero Punctuation Crossover

Postby Hiramas » 24 Jun 2014, 03:14

I mean, I get it.
This is the Age of Call of Duty, and games that look good and impress visually while keeping gameplay simple are "the thing" for A LOT of people.
We have seen it with The Witcher 2, a lot of games we would consider good, do not work that well on stream.
But the deep black hole that games like the newer CODs, Ryse or this one create in the game world is just soo hard to live with. Makes me kind of sad.
Especially since a lot of the problems would be easily fixed like you pointed out Lord_Hosk.
I just feel that the Devs and Publisher think we are so dumb. And either a lot of people are and don't see it, or they just don't care, because LOOK AN EXPLOSION!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 24 Jun 2014, 06:30

What gets me about Ryse is that in the entirety of Greco-Roman history and mythology, there has to have being a better candidate for "great general who was betrayed" than a professional court butt-kisser from a parable about the responsibilities of leadership and power. Almost any other recognizable name would have been a more sensible choice.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 24 Jun 2014, 10:58

I really cant see myself watching this game without G&P's commentery. Heck, I can't see myself PLAYING it; it's pretty as heck, but it's so troped, SO FUCKING DULL.
Macheya
First Video: The Dinner Party

Postby Macheya » 30 Jul 2014, 15:05

Hi guys, I love your show. My forum name is Macheya (like my Twitter) but my LRL chat name is Frylock72 (long story). Cantwearhats suggested I put all my LRL-related works in their respective threads, so here goes.

GPLP 8bit Pictures
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 03 Aug 2014, 15:22

Catching up on the Eurotruck Simulator stream today on the train to work... the whole offroading/madness/dropping the trailer in the middle of an intersection and speeding away part nearly broke me... it was nearly impossible to keep from laughing in the "quiet carriage" on the train...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
LadyRhian
First Video: "The Job

Postby LadyRhian » 08 Aug 2014, 09:57

Here are some suggestions for bad games to play:
Master of Orion 3
Quest of Yipe 1 and 2, Yipe 3
Taskmaker
Tomb of Taskmaker (Both this and Taskmaker are free to download now as Storm Impact has gone belly-up)
The Exile/Avernum series.
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 08 Aug 2014, 10:00

The Avernum series is awesome and probably awful to stream, since it's visually very boring.
GDwarf

Postby GDwarf » 10 Aug 2014, 20:58

Aw, don't mock the Avernum games! They've got solid writing and, while the actual game mechanics are needlessly tedious at times, they're not bad.
May those who accept their fate find happiness; Those who defy it, glory!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 11 Aug 2014, 09:33

Well, some would argue that "needlessly tedious game mechanics" ARE bad...I wouldn't, but I cut my teeth on the Exile series (ahhhhh, the Win3.1 interface...)
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 11 Aug 2014, 10:45

And some will argue that for the time it came out, with the budget those games had, it wasn't needlessly tedious.
GDwarf

Postby GDwarf » 12 Aug 2014, 17:59

Oh, the needless tedium is a definite mark against, but the games as a whole are solidly average-to-a-bit-above-average, IMO.
May those who accept their fate find happiness; Those who defy it, glory!
Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 13 Aug 2014, 08:45

What about Marlow Briggs? It's a cheesy GoWlike, I'd love to see them return to that genre.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”