Graham and Paul Let's Play

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Graham and Paul Let's Play

Postby Paul » 12 Jan 2014, 14:01

Graham & Paul bring their Unskippable sensibilities to GPLP, mercilessly riffing on all games, good and bad (but mostly bad). If you’ve ever wanted to see two men constantly disappointed on a deep, personal level by bad combat mechanics and interminable cutscenes, this is the place.

Post any comments or questions about the GPLP live stream.
Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Re: Graham and Paul Let's Play

Postby Canageek » 12 Jan 2014, 18:46

I've got to say: You two have managed the transition to playing in front of an audience really well, though I haven't managed to catch you live yet; I'm hoping to catch the end of your stream on Monday (I work till 5).

Also, I think Dark is a really good choice for a game. I've noticed you guys are at your best when a game is bad in lots of different ways, as it gives you guys new things to mock, versus ones that are mostly just bad due to blandness and enemy reuse. I mean, don't get me wrong, you guys do as well as anyone, it is just more fun when you two have more arrows in your quiver, and so far Dark seems to give you lots of those.

Have you two considered doing a bad FPS? Those might be a bit fast paced, but I was thinking some of those old, bad James Bond games, such as The World is Not Enough or Nightfire, as they tend to be pretty short and have fairly diverse gameplay (Nightfire would be good for this, having shooter, stealth, vehicle, rail-shooter and sniper levels at various points.) I'm sure there are plenty of other terrible ones you guys could find without looking to hard.

Other suggestions (Stolen from Game Informers Super Replay): Overblood, Illbleed, Blue Stinger, Galarions.
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
CaptainSpam
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby CaptainSpam » 12 Jan 2014, 23:08

Wow. In Dark, does the camera angle seriously have to jump around after EVERY sentence someone says, no matter how short? I thought the cameraman was going to get whiplash when Rose was mentioning the other vampires in the club one at a time.

This game does look like it's got what makes for a great GPLP so far: Irritating stealth mechanics, an annoying combat system, a perpetually-growling protagonist, a complete lack of internal story consistency (I doubt there's a big surprise at the end where it reveals you really ARE making new vampires with each feeding kill), a boss fight with exactly two voice clips...
Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 12 Jan 2014, 23:29

CaptainSpam wrote:a boss fight with exactly two voice clips...

To be fair, Graham and Paul's refusal to just die and leave him their hands was kind of a dick move.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 13 Jan 2014, 04:15

Boofinka wrote:

To be fair, Graham and Paul's refusal to just die and leave him their hands was kind of a dick move.

I know I'D listen if Paul Bearer wanted my hands.

Might not obey, but I'd definitely listen...
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 13 Jan 2014, 11:27

Boofinka wrote:

Huh? I must have missed that bit somehow. Well, I guess I know what I'm doing after work. Must have missed one of the YouTube vids, or zoned out or something. Weird.

Possibly related, but probably not: It would be nice if the YouTube videos had an originally aired date and time on them, as surprise bonus streams sometimes make it confusing, but I don't know how possible that is.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 13 Jan 2014, 16:55

So I needed something to do with my hands while watching GPLP...

I wanted to put a question mark over Graham's head with a gun sitting on the ground in front of him, but appearently I can't draw any type of firearm.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
CaptainSpam

Postby CaptainSpam » 13 Jan 2014, 17:41

Jamfalcon wrote:So I needed something to do with my hands while watching GPLP...

You could've given them to the first boss. Sounded like he wanted them.
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 14 Jan 2014, 00:06

Alright, I can't sleep, so I'm catching up on GPLP pt2 (The Hands fight).

A couple of observations: G&P comment on how Alex doesn't use guns. What if he just doesn't know how to use guns? We don't know what he did before he was a vampire, what if he just had never fired a gun before? I've never fired a gun, if I became a vampire and got super strength I might be able to snap someone's neck pretty easily, but still have no idea how to fire a gun.

Also: How do vampires feed in this world? If every time they drink someone's blood they become a vampire, wouldn't the entire world become vampires pretty quickly? I saw someone do the math based on exponential growth on a 30 day cycle, and the entire population became vampires really quickly.

Why are all the ghouls wearing the same cloths?

And finally: Should we tell Graham and Paul about the game breaking glitch that Dark has? I think it is funnier if they have to find it on their own (I'm sure they will, heck, they might have by the end of pt 3, I'm just about to watch it)

Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 14 Jan 2014, 06:46

Canageek wrote:Also: How do vampires feed in this world? If every time they drink someone's blood they become a vampire, wouldn't the entire world become vampires pretty quickly? I saw someone do the math based on exponential growth on a 30 day cycle, and the entire population became vampires really quickly.

So, I could be wrong, because it is pretty confusing, but I think they said that people who are KILLED by a vampire feeding on them turn into vampires. Which means that every single person Alex feeds on becomes a vampire... It's weird, because he doesn't NEED to kill people when he feeds, I'm pretty sure.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 14 Jan 2014, 11:55

Lurkon wrote:
Canageek wrote:Also: How do vampires feed in this world? If every time they drink someone's blood they become a vampire, wouldn't the entire world become vampires pretty quickly? I saw someone do the math based on exponential growth on a 30 day cycle, and the entire population became vampires really quickly.

So, I could be wrong, because it is pretty confusing, but I think they said that people who are KILLED by a vampire feeding on them turn into vampires. Which means that every single person Alex feeds on becomes a vampire... It's weird, because he doesn't NEED to kill people when he feeds, I'm pretty sure.

Most vampire fiction I've read (I hung out with goths in high school....) makes it so you drink a vampires blood to become one, to avoid this problem.

Perhaps they should have sent one of the more experianced vampires along to keep an eye on him?

Or, and this is a radical idea, they should have had the writers and game designers talk to each other at some point. I could just be crazy though.

Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 14 Jan 2014, 15:50

Dark makes me want to reinstall Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, AKA "A Good Vampire Game That Dark Desperately Wants to Be."

Like, seriously, entire level concepts are ripped off wholesale. The stealth museum bit, mysterious coffin, etc.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
CaptainSpam

Postby CaptainSpam » 14 Jan 2014, 19:35

It's not just the zombie-like exponential growth problem; I'm picking up the usual implications of "all of humankind is cultivated to be cattle for vampires to feed upon" vibe here. Which, combined with the whole transmittable vampirism thing going on, would be like if every time someone ate beef, that cow would wake up as a human with a powerful desire to eat more beef.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Jan 2014, 21:16

They can feed without killing someone. But yea, the whole 'kill someone = turn into vampire' makes a lot more vampires. But that might be why he doesn't use a gun. He can't feed and shoot them in the face without them coming back for him. As in, he likely doesn't kill them normally. But I dunno.
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 15 Jan 2014, 00:59

More insomnia watching; Yes, you can feed without killing, Alex does that with the very willing women in the club, and gets 100 XP for it.

Also, if the UV lights are for the plants, why are they in tubes, pointing inwards at places there are no plants?

I'm still going with my theory that Alex was a goth poser type (Thus the not really goth cloths while at a goth club and in half-hearted goth eye makeup) who doesn't know how to use a gun and honestly isn't that bright to boot. High school dropout perhaps? What do you lot t hink?

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 15 Jan 2014, 02:47

From a gameplay perspective it's silly that all these other vampires have guns and Eric doesn't. From an in-world perspective, sure maybe he doesn't know how but… neither do I but I'd learn real quick if I had to.
Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Postby Clypheous » 15 Jan 2014, 07:29

Maybe he got super hearing from becoming a vampire and the sound of guns is just really too loud for him or something? Maybe it's not the bullets from guns that hurt him but just the really, really loud noises? It would also mean that dogs and babies would be a very real danger to him as well.
CaptainSpam

Postby CaptainSpam » 15 Jan 2014, 09:00

Clypheous wrote:Maybe he got super hearing from becoming a vampire and the sound of guns is just really too loud for him or something? Maybe it's not the bullets from guns that hurt him but just the really, really loud noises? It would also mean that dogs and babies would be a very real danger to him as well.

Are you suggesting that vampires are just specialized versions of Pols Voices from the original Legend of Zelda?
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 15 Jan 2014, 11:01

Clypheous wrote:Maybe he got super hearing from becoming a vampire and the sound of guns is just really too loud for him or something? Maybe it's not the bullets from guns that hurt him but just the really, really loud noises? It would also mean that dogs and babies would be a very real danger to him as well.

That doesn't explain why he doesn't take damage every time someone shoots a gun near him though.

What if he can't touch iron, like the fey? Turns out he is a half-fay, half-vampire, all goth wish-fulfillment fantasy!

Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 15 Jan 2014, 15:50

Canageek wrote:What if he can't touch iron, like the fey? Turns out he is a half-fay, half-vampire, all goth wish-fulfillment fantasy!

That's something that always bugged me about vampire fiction. Does the fact of vampire existence imply that all other fantastical creatures are also real? Rarely is this ever addressed...

...except Vampire the Masquerade, the Good Vampire Game. Oh, SNAP. Xbox, record that.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
CaptainSpam

Postby CaptainSpam » 15 Jan 2014, 19:06

Prospero101 wrote:
Canageek wrote:What if he can't touch iron, like the fey? Turns out he is a half-fay, half-vampire, all goth wish-fulfillment fantasy!

That's something that always bugged me about vampire fiction. Does the fact of vampire existence imply that all other fantastical creatures are also real? Rarely is this ever addressed...

Well, maybe it does with other eastern European creatures, given how legends can intertwine in a region. I mean, I hardly think the existence of vampires implies the existence of the tanuki, chupacabra, yeti, or kraken.

...well... now I need to deliberately overthink this, hold on...
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 15 Jan 2014, 20:20

So, I was watching Jim Sterling's youtube channel, and I think Graham and Paul need to look at Unearthed: Trail Of Ibn Battuta. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkvRgmjncME

jaxturtle
First Video: Commodor Hustle Season 1 - Laundry

Postby jaxturtle » 27 Jan 2014, 20:14

So now that Paul streamed a little on his own, he's going to start his own weekly stream, right? Because he was awesome and he totally should.
CaptainSpam

Postby CaptainSpam » 27 Jan 2014, 20:58

I think all crappy game playthroughs deserve a decompression session with Peggle. It's just so therapeutic.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 28 Jan 2014, 02:24

My favourite part of Dark was how all of the boss fights start with a cutscene of all the guards rushing in fully alert to your presence... Except the game is a purely stealth game and you have no combat mechanics for use against alerted enemies, so once the game actually starts they have to put you in cover, and with enemies who are merely on guard, not realising you're around. It just ends up being "OK guys, let's run in and take out this vampire! OK, time to walk patrols or stand in place. Oh my god, there's a vampire here!"
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”