Beej's Backlog

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Beej's Backlog

Postby Paul » 12 Jan 2014, 14:01

Beej has a pile of Nintendo-console crap he’s been meaning to get to -- some of it dating back to the SNES -- and you’re going to watch him grind through it, even if it kills both of you. Also, you’re going to like it because Beej is a funny guy.

Post any comments or questions about the Beej's Backlog live stream.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Beej's Backlog

Postby Antitonic » 13 Jan 2014, 04:19

I hope we have one of those chilled downtime streams; I love watching LPs of Endless Ocean. Even if a part of me is screaming to use a Classic Controller for a much more enjoyable game.

Also, watching Beej's segment of the launch day streamathon convinced me to buy a WiiU, so there's that.
pokute
First Video: Phailhaüs

Postby pokute » 26 Jan 2014, 16:36

Is Beej's Backlog set in stone? Would Beej consider playing Muramasa: The Demon Blade for the Wii? It's a beautiful 2D side-scrolling action RPG by Vanillaware (who also made Odinsphere).

Muramasa has stunning visuals with beautifully detailed and animated environments and characters. Along with the great music, it's a game that looks and feels better than my imagination. The full voice acting is amazing as well. Momohime is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro (Minto-san from Galaxy Angel). Kongiku is voiced by Minami Omi (Ruri from Nadesico). There are other veteran names but I don't care as much about them :p

Silly IGN Review (for the variety of footage)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFtRsJXFMuU

Official Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKl0o3B4Sr4

Blue Monk Boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--oo6q_mb8Q
(This is more representative of normal gameplay with leveled health and sword powers.)

Expert Five Boss Attack Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh_r7n-XCMo
(This is one of my favorite videos, but he plays on insane difficulty and doesn't use sword powers.)

I live around Vancouver, so if you guys can't source a Wii or the game I'd be happy to bring both up. While I would like them back when you're done, I don't mind damage since I don't use them anymore (I'll sign a waiver if you want). These days I just play it on the emulator, which has HD graphics instead of SD on the Wii.

In terms of play time, the game is about 30 hours total. The two main characters each have about a 10 hour story line plus around 5 hours of unlocking better endings. This offer isn't just for Beej but for any LRL streamer, although I figured Beej might be more interested.
Last edited by pokute on 28 Jan 2014, 17:36, edited 11 times in total.
Conoros
First Video: How to speak like a pirate

Postby Conoros » 28 Jan 2014, 00:03

From what I recall, he's going to work through the PoP series first. I don't think there is anything decided beyond that
Conor / Magellus
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 28 Jan 2014, 00:15

He's just doing WW for now. He doesn't intend to do tTT right away.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Feb 2014, 00:57

So I was trying to think of some feedback for Beej's stream, since he seems to be getting the least attention of all of the current shows. Personally, I enjoy listening to his streams. Unlike the others, I normally don't have it up and running, since I personally am finding Warrior Within to be kind of a slog at this point. But Beej's interactivity with the chat and the laid-back nature of the show make for some good background noise.

I think the main issue is that Warrior Within just seems like a bad game for streaming. Beej has to pay attention to the game most of the time to solve puzzles, fight, or do the running around through traps, so he can't really chat with the chat as much as he'd seem to like. When he does, he has to stop the action, which kind of goes against how the game wants to keep moving. It's even worse when he asks the chat for help (which I feel is a fault of the game, since it doesn't seem wonderfully designed for intuitive puzzle-solving). It was awful tonight (2/10) because he had to stop for a full minute or two to ask if what he was doing was right, then wait for an answer with nothing going on. It leads to a dull period with nothing going on. And unlike other games, like Stalker (which has action most all the time to keep the viewer/player interested), RE6 (which is stupid enough to be funny on it's own, and again doesn't pause so much), or XCom (Slower, but it feels like there's more weight to it due to the ironman mode permadeath and soldiers being named after subs), it doesn't have anything that interesting to fill the dull moments. Stalker has action and RPG planning. Man Felating a Giraffe has over-the-top stupidity. XCam has tension. Warrior Within has... not really much of anything in my opinion.

Honestly, as much as it was a stupid game, I felt like Endless Ocean fit the relaxed atmosphere of the show better. Beej could chat with the viewers without worrying about dying, still have stuff go on, and generally relax. I think that having another person from time to time might help too, as it gives a more... 'real' back and forth to work with. But that seems to be the case in every stream.

It also doesn't help that Beej just seems to be bored of the game himself. Like, he wants to finish it, and I think that's for the best. It just seems more like he's forcing himself through it rather than enjoying the game and wanting to continue. Which given how many stupid ways the game can just screw with you, I can't say I feel differently.

Honestly, I look forward to seeing him play something like Prime or a similar game that he's passionate about (and is hopefully good). Playing something he knows really well might help too.

All that said, I really do enjoy his streams. Beej is doing a good job of making the chat/viewer seemed welcome, like he's with friends. He and James both seem really good of feeling less like 'I'm streaming this for people to watch' and more 'I'm hanging out with peeps on the interwebs,' though the two do so in different ways. I just thought it might help to give some feedback on what I've been thinking and see if it helps. Keep up the good work Beej, and sorry if it seemed like I was being critical.

PS: Given Beej's love of the animu, a game based on an anime or something might be an interesting choice for a future games. Not sure what he might have in his backlog though.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 11 Feb 2014, 05:35

I think the other problem with WW is that there's very little novel awfulness to mock after a certain point. Where we are now we've seen pretty much everything there is to see, in fact the rest of the game is literally tromping through areas we've seen before, albeit sometimes in different parts of it. Good news is that there isn't that much Warrior Within left, maybe a couple more weeks.

The way I would describe Beej's stream is that I love to watch it live and participate in it, but it's not one I tend to watch on replays. It's great to be there and hang out with Beej and the chat, but because the hanging out is so much a part of what makes it great watching it after the fact without being able to interact is less enjoyable. That may change with a different game where there's more of Beej interacting with the game than just us (by "interacting with" I mostly mean "making scathing commentary on").
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 12 Feb 2014, 03:53

I was going through a box of my dad's old magazines, and I found these. Never knew he was such a collector:

I thought I'd try my hand at some fan-art, and this seemed like a good way to do it. :)
Conoros
First Video: How to speak like a pirate

Postby Conoros » 12 Feb 2014, 03:59

Is it just me who gets a real Fallout vibe from those?
Conor / Magellus
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Feb 2014, 08:44

Considering Fallout was heavily inspired by the 50's pulp genre....no, it's not just you.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 14 Feb 2014, 06:54

I'm really enjoying the videos. Warrior Within is kind of hard to get through on multiple levels, but Beej really makes it fun. Especially since he's playing a game that's mostly about depth perception...
(and yeah, the pausing of the action to get through all the puzzle parts, but I agree that it's a fault of the game and not of the stream)
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 14 Feb 2014, 19:50

I'm always ready to get down to beejness, but I have to say I am just about ready for a different game.
When the show is a solo act, the host has to play off the game instead of another person and Warrior Within isn't really pulling it's weight. It doesn't have RE:MFG's/SMOD's insanity, Enemy Within's sheer ball-busting difficulty or SMT:Noctorne's up-it's-own-assness. It's just... meh.
What we need to get Beej on is some sweet Tokyo Jungle action - a shame it's a PS3 exclusive and Beej said he's only going to play on Nintendo platforms.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 18 Feb 2014, 21:54

Just like to say that I apologize if I came off as rude in the stream. I actually tried to say multiple times early in the stream that we should focus on finishing at this point, but it never went through due to issues with the chat. By the time it did go through, we only had one life piece left (I didn't realize this), which made it kind of silly not to go after it. And the one I phrased it likely wasn't the greatest. Plus the annoyance I felt at the confusing 'logic' the prince had lead to a 'WAT' moment that I meant as goofy rather than aggressive (which was again partly caused by chat being eaten). That said, I was able to clarify myself a bit, and discuss WTF was going on. Turns out the Prince just is an idiot according to others, which was my original thought.

I'm still not sure how much actually changes between the good and bad endings though. If it's just the final boss and some cutscenes, then I'd have honestly preferred just going through and then showing those via youtube after finishing. But I think at the point the stream started at, we might as well have finished it right.

I guess my main point is the same as it always is. I can be long-winded and come off as aggressive I feel, and I apologize if I do so. It isn't intentional.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 15 Mar 2014, 05:02

THANKS, ODAMA! :lol:

Wow: NintendHARD-tactical-real-time-pinball-warfare-with-voice-commands.

Just...wow.

Welp, I hope struggling through it DID cleanse your palate for the next big game, Beej! :D
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Mar 2014, 02:08

I'm wondering if there was any residual, backlogged rage from Prince of Persia that was let out here.

But yeah... Total palate cleanser, and one of the best streams. :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

empath

Postby empath » 17 Mar 2014, 21:02

Okay, now THAT was fun! Harvest Moon is thankfully not THAT demanding of constant attention that Beej could interact with the chat a fair bit, and there was enough flexibility that he kinda NEEDED us to help with "Naming Simulator 2014" ;)

...and now I'm Jonesing for Harvest Moon myself...maybe one of the DS games...
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 17 Mar 2014, 21:19

Yea, I think it's working pretty well. I like it a lot more than PoP. Beej doesn't have to keep waiting for the chat to catch up. He does sometimes, but it's mostly to get general opinion on stuff (like 'Get Doge' and the namings), so it works.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 24 Mar 2014, 01:34

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 24 Mar 2014, 07:29

OH GOD PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
empath

Postby empath » 24 Mar 2014, 12:17

YES.
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 24 Mar 2014, 21:32

That was the best stream evah!
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 24 Mar 2014, 21:44

Even though a lot of them were duplicates, I'm still amazed that the viewers actually came together to that extent and made it happen so quickly. It was certainly memorable, one for the history books for sure. :P
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 25 Mar 2014, 01:03

So, LRR gets half of each subscription, right? 54 subscribers? Does the fact that Beej made $135 by taking his shirt off officially make him a stripper?
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
empath

Postby empath » 25 Mar 2014, 05:24

Well, as his wife counselled - he did NOT "take his shirt of on stream" - he merely changed his appearance during a break to something the subscribers requested, and there's nothing about shirtless men streaming being against Twitch's CoC/ToS; there's been plenty of guys who just stream without anything on their upper body. :mrgreen:

Alex? Alex was just BONUS! :lol:

Getting away from the big attraction, it was cool to have Beej get someone else all up to speed on what was going on; sort of like a review of everything.

And I a) hope the Crew get an existing owned copy of M$Office onto the streaming PC! :lol: (and, as a bonus, Beej checks out that RPG-spreadsheet, because I can't with just OpenOffice :( )
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 25 Mar 2014, 05:51

I came in late and only just experienced the shirtlessness instead of the anticipation of the shirtlessness. Who initiated the call for it, the chat or Beej in response to people talking about this week's cH video?

Whether or not I'm okay with Beej exploiting himself like this in this way depends on this answer.

Trisha Lynn
...dude sure takes off his shirt a lot in LRR videos...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”