IDDQDerp

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Re: IDDQDerp

Postby Foxmar » 13 Oct 2014, 08:29

Can't Wear Hats wrote:
Graham wrote:I don't think anger is entertaining. I find it exhausting to watch someone just get mad at a game, ruining all enjoyment for themselves.

Completely agree, I switched over to watching Lava Bears instead halfway through. It's a shame because I usually enjoy watching Alex stream, and while I might agree with some of his points about game design, having them presented in such an angry way isn't fun to watch.

Have to agree with CWHs and Graham here. I also switched over to Lava Bears. It was a combination of Alex and the chat that made it hard to watch. I find that sad because I really enjoy watching Alex stream :(
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 13 Oct 2014, 09:21

Foxmar wrote:Have to agree with CWHs and Graham here. I also switched over to Lava Bears. It was a combination of Alex and the chat that made it hard to watch. I find that sad because I really enjoy watching Alex stream :(

I didn't watch this particular stream because my internet was being kind of poopy, but I also agree with all of this, specially the part about chat not always being helpful. Could we get some kind of mod ruling to try to stop chat from being unchatful?
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 13 Oct 2014, 09:57

I honestly don't know what a mod could do about chat doing that. Maybe put it into slow mode to prevent an avalanche of "advice" overwhelming the streamer with (what at least must feel like) hostility? Just reminding people to chill, and that streamers aren't our dancing monkeys?

I dunno. Might be good to hear from a mod or, you know, a streamer for suggestions?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Oct 2014, 10:43

Yeah, other than slow mode (which I'm loathe to do), I don't know what could be done, and even slow mode wouldn't stop it. Other than asking people to be personable, and chill, there's not a lot that I know of.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 13 Oct 2014, 11:00

I'm glad I'm not the only one as I've felt like that sometimes but I didn't want to come across as a dick pointing it out.

Arclight_Dynamo wrote:Yeah... I mean, I love to hear Alex talk about the good and bad points of a game. His analysis is intelligent and interesting. At the same time, I hate to see him get irritated at streaming a game.

Cant War Hats wrote:It's a shame because I usually enjoy watching Alex stream, and while I might agree with some of his points about game design, having them presented in such an angry way isn't fun to watch.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. I really enjoy Alex's Streams. I love the intelligent discourse and the insight, but most of all the passion he has about it. I don't know if you will read this Alex, but your passion and love for games is incredible. I love that you genuinely care about good design and bad design and that sometimes you can play a game and still have that sense of enjoyment and awe about something. I love how you pay attention to things like art design and well written narrative. Keep that passion!

That said, I guess the flipside of such passion can be the angry side of it. Watching Alex (or anybody) be really angry and wound up at a game (I mean in the angry, upset manner as opposed to the tilty Tally way) is just...not a fun way to spend an evening. Nobody has a good time and as I've said in chat at times before - if a streamer isn't enjoying a game, they should have no hesitation in stopping. LRRchat is generally understanding and I think I speak for a lot of us when I say that your guys' enjoyment is just as important as ours.

You're still great though Alex. <3

(As for the chat thing, I don't think mods getting involved is the best thing to do unless it gets really bad. I know that if you've noticed a streamer miss something it's really overwhelming to point it out, but I guess just keep it inside unless it's super important that it's raise and if so, just politely explain it in a clear, concise and polite manner.)
Arclight_Dynamo

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 13 Oct 2014, 11:08

I mean, I want to be clear here: my concern is emphatically not "It isn't fun to watch Alex and Cam be angry." My concern is "Alex and Cam seem upset, and I don't want them to be, since I care about their enjoyment and overall mental state."
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 13 Oct 2014, 11:26

This.
SohNata

Postby SohNata » 13 Oct 2014, 11:40

Arclight_Dynamo wrote:I mean, I want to be clear here: my concern is emphatically not "It isn't fun to watch Alex and Cam be angry." My concern is "Alex and Cam seem upset, and I don't want them to be, since I care about their enjoyment and overall mental state."

I think a lot of that plays into each other. One of the reasons it's not fun to watch a streamer angry is because you know they're unhappy.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 13 Oct 2014, 11:45

Personally, I wasn't all that turned of by the anger. I love how invested and enthusiastic Alex can be. I totally accept that this means we once in a while will get anAlex who is just very disappointed and/or angry at a game. The emotions are raw and that's what I really like about him (btw, let's not forget Cam was there too, we wasn't really helping)
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Arclight_Dynamo

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 13 Oct 2014, 11:47

That's why I made a distinction between being irritated with a game and being irritated with streaming that game. The former is fine, I think, since that's just a reaction to a piece of art. And, honestly, I think Alex and Cam really, really enjoy having opinions about art (and I like to hear those opinions, FWIW). The latter isn't, though, since that indicates the whole activity has become unpleasant for the streamer, which I don't want to put anyone through.
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 14 Oct 2014, 04:01

AdmiralMemo wrote:Yeah, other than slow mode (which I'm loathe to do), I don't know what could be done, and even slow mode wouldn't stop it. Other than asking people to be personable, and chill, there's not a lot that I know of.

That's basically all I meant, just for the mods to be aware of it and be ready to tell us to chill because we care about the streamers. Sorry I wasn't clearer.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 14 Oct 2014, 07:17

Alex's streams are usually the ones I've had trouble watching mainly due to when he finds some bad design, he gets obsessed about it. I want to just turn it off anytime he brings up Thief. I can agree with most of his critiques, but make the critique and move on.

When he enjoys the game, Alex is a delight to watch. I liked the beginning of Alien Isolation when Alex and Cam were being all giggy about the little details that reminded them of the movie. Or just all of the Dark Souls streams.

In my personal opinion, I come to watch the game be played. Once it starts becoming a review, or worse the streamer just grinding their teeth at the game, entertainment value is gone. I couldn't watch Kathleen's FFX-2 stream for this reason.

I much prefer Graham's way of just getting goofy when the game presents some dumb design. Or in general, how they treat the Watch and Plays. Just because you started the game seriously doesn't mean you have to end that way. Even in a good game like Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I was exciting for Graham to do a stealth run, but now I'm completely enjoying watching him just punch everyone.

Take something dumb and go with it. Otherwise move on because there's plenty of stuff to see.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 14 Oct 2014, 17:06

I don't really agree with that, I think that since it's their stream they should be allowed to really do what they want on it. That's why I don't like watching someone play a game that they obviously don't want to play, which is different from finding something they dislike and critiquing it, even if they get hung up about it, because they might enjoy everything else.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 14 Oct 2014, 17:24

Jonci wrote:I was exciting for Graham to do a stealth run, but now I'm completely enjoying watching him just punch everyone.
Punching can be stealthy!!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 14 Oct 2014, 17:37

Hey - if you knock out everyone before they see you, you're still stealthy.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 15 Oct 2014, 02:58

Leaving a trail of headaches and black eyes in your wake!
Hurp-De-Durp!
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 15 Oct 2014, 05:38

Punching is always stealthy as long as no one see's you.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 15 Oct 2014, 08:21

Or if they do see you, punch them an uneven number of times, so they end up with amnesia.

Stealth!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Oct 2014, 08:36

It's happening... It's happening!
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 17 Oct 2014, 03:01

Is that... synced replays and chat logs?
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
qrpth
First Video: iPotato

Postby qrpth » 17 Oct 2014, 08:07

korvys wrote:Is that... synched replays and chat logs?

Yes?

Code: Select all

< qrpth> !explain Desert Bus 2
<@​lrrbot> James Turner
Phenax987
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Phenax987 » 18 Oct 2014, 15:28

Is anyone here willing to write lyrics for this (http://lrrbot.mrphlip.com/archive/c5317138) song? I would do it but i lack any sort of musical skill, talent, lessons, etc.
SohNata

Postby SohNata » 22 Oct 2014, 11:12

So there's a Five Nights at Freddy's 2 coming. Just thought I'd mention that. No reason. :)
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 22 Oct 2014, 12:28

SohNata wrote:So there's a Five Nights at Freddy's 2 coming. Just thought I'd mention that. No reason. :)

Oh my gods, that trailer for it. So many spoops will be had.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 26 Oct 2014, 05:59

SohNata wrote:So there's a Five Nights at Freddy's 2 coming. Just thought I'd mention that. No reason. :)

I was about to check out the trailer, cause I have a weird kind of love for a game that literally terrifies me. But then I realized that sleep is still an essential function to my continued sanity. So... NOPE.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”