IDDQDerp

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Mono_Snorsh
First Video: .

Re: IDDQDerp

Postby Mono_Snorsh » 26 Sep 2014, 05:17

CiderMuffin wrote:Yea I do agree with you but...it's a game, you know? Sometimes, especially if it's minor, a game doesn't have to be accurate.

I know it's a poor argument to make and just seems lazy but a long lasting can opener wouldn't be fun, my family is still using a can opener we've had when I was a kid. Those things are meant to be durable as hell.

Sure, there's always got to be a limit to realism. What bugs me about the degrading tools model of survival games is that I also think it's a suboptimal gameplay model. Long lasting can opener wouldn't be unfun, they'd be a lessening of busywork.

Survival gameplay is something that I'm quite interested in but I'm interested in the game rewarding careful decision making not putting you on a treadmill so you have to constantly outrace equipment failures so small rewards remain exciting.

Things like rewarding taking the time to hug the tree line instead of blithely walking through open areas or avoiding running over icy slopes are good (though I'd have to actually play the game to see how reasonable the sprained ankle chance is) while stuff like Alex's new expensive scopes in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. constantly becoming irreparably moisture filled because he took them out into the rain are bad.

I'm not complaining about the game considering popping a pill to just fix sprained ankles even though that's silly because becoming injured and having to use limited medical supplies is something that corresponds to actual survival situations in general if not in details.

A players thoughts upon seeing a high quality ski jacket though should not be "that'll tide me over for a good time until it inevitably breaks" but "I'm one step closer to defeating the clothing problem". Resource management has it's place but a lot of parts of survival situations are a lot closer to Nethack's focus on defeating the very game mechanics themselves rather than monsters than traditional resource management.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 26 Sep 2014, 07:16

So, significantly up the durability of items, but lower your chance of finding them? Have most of the item damage occur when you get attacked by a wolf or fall or whatever?
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 26 Sep 2014, 08:41

Maybe replace item degradation with a chance that the thing will just break when you go to use it. And have that chance increase slightly every time that you use it.

A can opener will work just fine until the day you snap the handle off of it.
Mono_Snorsh

Postby Mono_Snorsh » 26 Sep 2014, 14:26

Master Gunner wrote:So, significantly up the durability of items, but lower your chance of finding them? Have most of the item damage occur when you get attacked by a wolf or fall or whatever?

Both of those would help yeah. You can get by in the game without a can opener so it's alright if the probability of finding a working one is lower in exchange for the same average use life. It's also much less frustrating for the player if bad things happen because of them screwing up or other bads things instead of doing the correct thing and using it. A wolf attack like the one that knocked Alex down to single digits could totally just wreck the ability of an outfit to keep you warm.

Arclight_Dynamo wrote:Maybe replace item degradation with a chance that the thing will just break when you go to use it. And have that chance increase slightly every time that you use it.

That's functionally pretty similar but somewhat more realistic and slightly more frustrating. Personally I'd like it, the "Wait, damn, I was relying on that" is a reasonable feeling to have the game deliver.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 26 Sep 2014, 21:40

Arclight_Dynamo wrote:Maybe replace item degradation with a chance that the thing will just break when you go to use it. And have that chance increase slightly every time that you use it.

Actually it won't; the blade will dull with use (unless you sharpen it) and it'll get harder and harder to use, and make it more likely to slip (and maybe hurt yourself). This is why you keep knives sharp, dull knives bind into what they're cutting more easily, and when they're stuck like that, you instinctively want to use more force...which lessens your control over the blade, and then they're more likely to - you guessed it - slip and cut you.

Maybe have that increase over time, and then the 'breaking chance' increase too, but at maybe half (or less) of the increase of the 'slip and hurt' chance?
Arclight_Dynamo

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 26 Sep 2014, 22:36

I understand that blades dull... but not appreciably for a can opener over the amount of time that you use it in the game.
Mono_Snorsh

Postby Mono_Snorsh » 26 Sep 2014, 22:41

I'm not even sure how you could manage to cut yourself with a normal can opener. I'm sure you can because people are really good at managing to injure themselves but a can opener is only a "blade" in a technical sense. It doesn't really share anything with normal blades in terms of risks of cutting oneself.

Also I'm sorry for harsh derailing this thread into a discussion of can openers.
empath

Postby empath » 27 Sep 2014, 06:41

Mono_Snorsh wrote:I'm not even sure how you could manage to cut yourself with a normal can opener. I'm sure you can because people are really good at managing to injure themselves but a can opener is only a "blade" in a technical sense. It doesn't really share anything with normal blades in terms of risks of cutting oneself.

Also I'm sorry for harsh derailing this thread into a discussion of can openers.

People cut themselves on things you'd never even expect to be able to break skin, sadly - as for can openers?

ANYWAYS, it seems that alex has a NEW game to stream on IDDQderp :D
Mono_Snorsh

Postby Mono_Snorsh » 27 Sep 2014, 10:48

I specified normal for a reason. The P-38 is not a normal can opener.

I hope Alex does decide to keep playing Shadow Warrior because that game is super fun to watch though I was also having fun watching The Long Dark.
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 29 Sep 2014, 06:25

I'm not sure if Alex is still playing Alice: Madness Returns, but if he is, someone posted on Reddit on how to enable the DLC on the Steam version. Maybe it's of use to someone else as well.

http://redd.it/2hrpoh
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 29 Sep 2014, 08:07

Yeah, I think he did this already early on.
And yes, he should still be playing it, once the dress arrives.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

empath

Postby empath » 29 Sep 2014, 11:33

:twisted:

Bah, who am I kidding? This is awesome - that the community would pull together like this, AND that the 'victim' is more than willing to go along with it. Makes me proud, son. *sniff* Dang proud.
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 06 Oct 2014, 07:36

Is there a way to watch the Lifeless planet stream? I can't find it on twitch or anywhere else.

EDIT: Disregard this, obviously I found it 30 seconds later on youtube.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Oct 2014, 06:13

I have gone to steam and almost purchased Long dark three times now, I keep being put off by the whole "alpha build" but they want $20 for it. It just seems too steep even if I will get "the whole game later" it feels like a game I will put 20 hours into and then never come back to so anything that gets added to the game after I buy it I will never see.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 11 Oct 2014, 23:54

Seeing as there isn't a Let's Nope thread yet (get on this! :P) I'm putting this here:

Watching the Alien: Isolation stream and they just found the gun. Why did it have to be this gun, WHY!!! I would have understood it if they wanted you to play around without it for a bit, but they get it 5 minutes after they could have picked one up from a corpse. 5 MINUTES!! Those 5 minutes wouldn't have made a shit of a difference. I'm accepting of breaking immersion when it's neccesary, but this was just contrived with the express purpose of being contrived.

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

empath

Postby empath » 12 Oct 2014, 06:31

Agreed; that was a horrible instance of 'invisible wall' scripting; I can't exactly remember but I think there was another bit of that in the game as well. :(

Thankfully, the game redeemed itself (mostly).
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Oct 2014, 10:17

I'm glad it redeemed itself eventually, but I had to turn the stream off halfway through. Just way too much negativity coming from Alex, it wasn't enjoyable to watch.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 Oct 2014, 11:00

Master Gunner wrote:I'm glad it redeemed itself eventually, but I had to turn the stream off halfway through. Just way too much negativity coming from Alex, it wasn't enjoyable to watch.
I spoke with him about this last night actually, since I feel similarly.
I'll let him comment if he wants, but I believe he's taking this feedback under advisement.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Oct 2014, 11:09

Well, I guess it just depends on your audience. I for one loved his absolute fury at plot-contrived stupidity.

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 Oct 2014, 11:17

I don't think anger is entertaining. I find it exhausting to watch someone just get mad at a game, ruining all enjoyment for themselves.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Oct 2014, 11:23

To each their own.

Also, is there any sort of contractual obligation or anything where you can't cut a stream early for reasons other than technical problems? Like, if the Let's Nope is happening and Alex gets super-mad 1 hour in, does he have to run the full 3 hours?

I personally would feel that if the streamer isn't being engaged by the game and isn't entertaining the majority of the audience, then they probably shouldn't be required to fill out a whole stream.

I'm pretty sure the community as a whole would understand. I'm pretty sure nobody wants a repeat of the Lifeless Planet incident.

Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 12 Oct 2014, 12:00

Graham wrote:I don't think anger is entertaining. I find it exhausting to watch someone just get mad at a game, ruining all enjoyment for themselves.

Completely agree, I switched over to watching Lava Bears instead halfway through. It's a shame because I usually enjoy watching Alex stream, and while I might agree with some of his points about game design, having them presented in such an angry way isn't fun to watch.
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

empath

Postby empath » 12 Oct 2014, 15:56

I myself persisted, but because I was multi-tasking, I sort of kept alex & cam in the background of my consciousness...until things calmed down.

I *will* say that the chat gave Alex a CLOSE race for the amount of salt spewed, and that might not have helped. :(
Arclight_Dynamo

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 12 Oct 2014, 16:04

Graham wrote:I don't think anger is entertaining. I find it exhausting to watch someone just get mad at a game, ruining all enjoyment for themselves.

Yeah... I mean, I love to hear Alex talk about the good and bad points of a game. His analysis is intelligent and interesting. At the same time, I hate to see him get irritated at streaming a game.

I like Alex. I want him to have fun with his streams. I don't like to see him (or any of you) tilt at the whole thing, not because it's bad for me to watch, but because it's bad for you guys to experience. I want you folks to have an enjoyable, positive time of it. Watching someone on stream get annoyed with things sucks, since I just want to try to make them feel better, and I can't.

It's especially not good when chat's being, well, unhelpful. That's not cool, and I always feel kind of complicit in tweaking the streamers, even if I say nothing. Can't imagine what it's like to be on the streaming end of things when that happens.

I mean... stream's fun to watch? Not fun to watch? Whatever. I don't care. Alex and Cam are people on the other end of this thing, and I want to make sure the stream's not getting them into a bad emotional place, y'know?

This should be a good time for everyone. Especially the person or persons streaming.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 13 Oct 2014, 05:23

Yeah, that's why I like it when Alex can play games like Vanishment. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him and Ian play that game, even more so when they were squeeing over how beautiful it was, or squeeking about it getting spoopy.

That goes for any streamer, if a game is pissing them off I would much prefer if they went 'Bus this!' and switched over to a game that they actually enjoy. It's just more fun to not only watch, but listen to too(that's me speaking as a multi-tasker, I sometimes listen for large parts of the streams while I'm doing something else).

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I do know that IDDQDerp and Lets NOPE are two different streams, but seeing as they played Alien Isolation on the latest Lets NOPE and people were talking about it in here I thought it topical to add my two cents here too.
Hurp-De-Durp!

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”