A Swiftly Tilting Cameron

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

A Swiftly Tilting Cameron

Postby Paul » 12 Jan 2014, 14:03

As far as Cam is concerned, there is one correct difficulty for strategy games: punishing. Whether it’s “hardcore”, or “extreme”, or “iron man”, you’re not doing it right if your entire squad isn’t one bad roll away from paving the save file and starting over.

Post any comments or questions about the A Swiftly Tilting Cameron live stream.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: A Swiftly Tilting Cameron

Postby Kapol » 12 Jan 2014, 14:58

I think it'd be worth looking into a mod for Xcom that'd allow the names for soldiers to be pulled directly from a document with subscriber names. It'd make things a lot faster I'd think. I'm not sure how possible that actually would be though.
Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Postby Clypheous » 12 Jan 2014, 17:27

Man, Mr. Lauder is having just about as much of a trouble playing Iron Man in XCOM as I did. I remember playing most untimed missions by camping my guys in a corner of the map in the best defensive position possible and waiting for all the enemies to come to me, defeat a wave, and then get back into position and do it all over again. It took about 5-10 times as long per mission, but it was the only way I managed to actually have most of my guys survive more than a mission or two. And promoted guys are absolutely essential to getting anywhere. That and Satellites, lots and lots of Satellites...
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Jan 2014, 18:20

This stream has been amazing! Especialy when he has a co-pilot. I dont care if he "isnt tilting or getting angry" He is having fun playing the games and thats what they are about.

This is great.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Clypheous

Postby Clypheous » 13 Jan 2014, 06:55

I feel the stream would be significantly less enjoyable if he started flipping out and chucking tables or something. His ability to just calmly note that his whole team is going to be going home in pieces is really amazing. I'm a pretty calm guy and I think I got way more on tilt playing strategy games on their hardest difficulty. I think the last thing I actually played consistently on the hardest difficulty (i.e. not just playing it once to try to see if I could do it and/or get the achievement) was Civilization 3. I had Civ 3 as virtually my only game while I was abroad for a semester and I played the heck out of it. Eventually though you wind up just exploiting AI loopholes and stuff, but I figure by the time you manage to figure the AI out well enough to do that, you deserve any edge you can get.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 13 Jan 2014, 07:06

Can we get a link to the XCAM spreadsheet? It'll be nice to have another source outside of asking or waiting for chat.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 13 Jan 2014, 07:13

I don't have it off hand. But you can just go into the chat and type !Xcam to get it.
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 13 Jan 2014, 07:39

Here's the bit.ly link for convenience: http://bit.ly/CamXCOM :)
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 13 Jan 2014, 09:04

What are the rules for this spreadsheet?
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Jan 2014, 09:40

Cam, would you consider playing Turn-Based strategy games you're unfamiliar with in the future?

If so, I would like to nominate Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic as it's a more magical version of Civilisation.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 13 Jan 2014, 09:49

Following on from Merry's suggestion, I will continue to spam my suggestion that watching Cam play Crusader Kings II (or any other Paradox game of his choice) would be friggin' fantastic. It doesn't really have a hard mode, but that's not a problem- the whole game is hard mode!
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 13 Jan 2014, 11:31

I think Cam should play the original X-COM after this!

Or I could be really mean and make sure he tilts by giving him the only game I've given up on due to difficulty: Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business. Now, I'm not good at tactical games, I just like them, but I could not finish the tutorial level of that game without losing almost my entire team, and that was on the easiest mode. If any game will make Cam tilt, my money is on this one.
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 13 Jan 2014, 11:42

I kinda like the idea of our glorious Cammander finishing X:EW, and then trying a game he's not quite as comfortably knowledgeable about; dunno his background in the JA games, but from what you say, they ramped up the difficulty in Unfinished Business - that series was my bread and butter back in the day.

...and after he's struggled and learned and conquered a new, unfamiliar game, let him relax with a return to tried and trusted SMAC. :mrgreen:
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 13 Jan 2014, 11:53

Yeah, I got it on a GoG sale, as I was sick of X-COM's horrible UI, but wanted a modern tactics game. I went back to X-COM and still mean to finish the damn thing.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Jan 2014, 18:01

I'm thinking Age of Mythology would be a good choice. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Jan 2014, 18:13

Especially if Graham co-hosts that.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Clypheous

Postby Clypheous » 14 Jan 2014, 10:06

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Cam, would you consider playing Turn-Based strategy games you're unfamiliar with in the future?

If so, I would like to nominate Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic as it's a more magical version of Civilisation.

The problem with AoW:SM is that it's pretty easy. Once you learn what spells to learn and what units to use it's kind of like the original Master of Magic was with a few stacks of decked out Paladins with flying. Not as much a game anymore as one giant mopping up action against the entire world at once. I mean AoW is definitely not as mind numbingly easy as MoM becomes, but it's still not likely to make Cameron tilt.

Crusader Kings II though...Holy crap. I'm really, really good at strategy games, but the tutorial of that game is so awful and the depth of that game is so insane I've still never managed to make it all the way through a game. I just don't generally have the patience to wait 15 years for something to build, just in time to die and have my terrible children take over and then refuse to breed, even with the fate of the Kingdom at stake.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 14 Jan 2014, 13:20

Cam in ep2 at about 49 minutes wrote:Who's a dead little monkey?

I laughed, I cried, I facepalmed.

Cam really seemed to nail the ironic pre-death quote. I get the feeling he'd make an excellent baddie in a 80s Schwarzenegger film.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Jan 2014, 13:32

Clypheous wrote:
Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Cam, would you consider playing Turn-Based strategy games you're unfamiliar with in the future?

The problem with AoW:SM is that it's pretty easy. Once you learn what spells to learn and what units to use it's kind of like the original Master of Magic was with a few stacks of decked out Paladins with flying. Not as much a game anymore as one giant mopping up action against the entire world at once. I mean AoW is definitely not as mind numbingly easy as MoM becomes, but it's still not likely to make Cameron tilt.

Crusader Kings II though...Holy crap. I'm really, really good at strategy games, but the tutorial of that game is so awful and the depth of that game is so insane I've still never managed to make it all the way through a game. I just don't generally have the patience to wait 15 years for something to build, just in time to die and have my terrible children take over and then refuse to breed, even with the fate of the Kingdom at stake.

But it's so pretty.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 14 Jan 2014, 13:39

By the way:

Is it weird that, since they were all in caps, I read "Operation Forgotten God" and "Operation Hot God" as "Operation Forgotten Goo" and "Operation Hot Goo" and thought nothing of it?
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 14 Jan 2014, 14:27

Clypheous wrote:

Yeah, the AI in AoW:SM is driving me from the game. I got it off GoG and started it up recently, as I left my AoW disk in Ontario by mistake, but just a few missions in I haven't had much of a challenge yet, as there aren't any time constraints, so I can plod along slowly and surely without taking any risks, and the AI is too dumb to stage any sort of attack.

Or is that just me?

Oh, if we REALLY want to make him tilt: X-COM: Terror from the Deep on max difficulty and force him to attempt even the lobsterman terror missions.

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Jan 2014, 15:12

Canageek wrote:MEGA TEXT QUOTE

They have artificial time-limits later on in the narrative. It's quite scary then.
empath

Postby empath » 14 Jan 2014, 20:00

Ptangmatik wrote:By the way:

Is it weird that, since they were all in caps, I read "Operation Forgotten God" and "Operation Hot God" as "Operation Forgotten Goo" and "Operation Hot Goo" and thought nothing of it?

...mmmmnnope, but I HAVE noticed that ANY mission with "Operation <name> God" for a codename results in multiple casualties...if not a tpk. :P
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 15 Jan 2014, 07:57

Clypheous wrote:

What the hell are you building that takes 15 years?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
empath

Postby empath » 15 Jan 2014, 15:48

...a nation. And 15 years is pretty short for that. ;)

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”