A Swiftly Tilting Cameron

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
HeyZootie
First Video: Commodore Hustle

Re: A Swiftly Tilting Cameron

Postby HeyZootie » 30 Nov 2014, 07:41

empath wrote:Wait, what?

I know I missed the first hour of the bonus stream, but it seemed like they recovered from the disconnect(?) just fine and carried on, fell prey to an annoyingly designed 'trap' that provoked a long backtrack and waste of limited time, but still managed to get up to the second boss that Cameron wanted to deal with...

...whom he then attritted into oblivion on his first attempt. 8)

Asmuch as I agree with your sentiment against Bozocorp (and will wholly take your suggestion to heart when I get around to playing this game), I feel this is a bit of an overreaction...

You are ahead by one stream, I just edited in a comment about the second stream which you are referencing. And regarding your feelings about overreactions, thank you for sharing your feelings, I guess? I think my reactions are totally justified, considering the situation.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 04 Dec 2014, 13:29

For future use

He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 30 Jan 2015, 21:55

I have really been enjoying the extra magic streams Cams been doing recently. I do wish the chat would be nicer, what is it about streaming magic that brings out people who want streamers to play like they are day 2 at a GP during a mtgo swiss draft? I hope Cam keeps doing the occasional drafts, watching him (as well as James and Graham) has really helped my limited game
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 01 Feb 2015, 04:56

I just want to apologize for the magic stream. I was giving advice too and though I was nowhere near as bad as some chatters, I did add to the swarm of advice. For that I'm sorry. I will hold my opinions to myself during the games (I think the advice during the drafting is still ok). If I break this rule, knock me over the head chat :P

On a lighter note, I ended up buying Valkeria Chronicles due to Cam's stream.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 05 Feb 2015, 03:20

I played through the first Valkyria game. However reminded me, I wonder if Cam has ever seen Ring of Red.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 05 Feb 2015, 05:57

So, just watched the end of last night's stream...uh...no good way to say this, but you didn't save after beating that mission. If you're planning to come back to Valkyria Chronicles you'll end up playing through it again. The good news is you'll know most of the bullshit this time through, and that's a lot of how the game goes. I frequently had to play missions twice because of unexpected bullshit like, "oh, a boss tank out of nowhere" or "they just summoned five guys to that base that was defeneseless a little while ago."

As for chat advice, there's going to be an issue in that most missions have multiple solutions. For example, that forest mission, you can either beat it as you did, by kicking down the front door, or you can sneak around the back door over the ridge with the artilliery, in the south. The problem is that you really want to commit to one strategy or the other, and having chat yelling at you to do both isn't going to be helpful. I do like that the game has multiple solutions to any given level, but I think chat needs to be able to present these as options rather than as "you should do X" because that's going to end up with a lot of contradictory instructions.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
GDwarf
First Video: Unskippable

Postby GDwarf » 08 Feb 2015, 20:39

I quite like Valkyria Chronicles as a game, but I must admit that the cutscenes can be pretty eeh. They get better as it goes on, thankfully, as the characters develop, but they never really start acting as an actual military, rather than a clubhouse, alas.

That said, the combat keeps getting more interesting, with more techniques and such, and the personality differences of the troops do have an actual impact, which is quite fun.

Things to watch for, though:
-Line of sight: LoS is based on something like a straight line from the centre of your unit to the centre of the moving one. Anything that obstructs that line obstructs LoS.
-Counter-shots: Any time any unit shoots at another one, their target gets to fire back. This can be a real issue with enemies with more health than your units.
-Deaths: Units only die if three turns pass after their HP is depleted or an enemy reaches their position in that time. If you finish the map or one of your units reaches the downed unit then they're sent off-field and are available next mission. This means that suicide charges can be useful.
-Cutscenes: For all they can be a bit cringe-inducing, they also often offer hints as to how to approach a level.
-Lancers: They can't hit the broad side of a barn. They're your best anti-tank units, but they have to be *damn* close before they can do any meaningful good, which is quite frustrating.
May those who accept their fate find happiness; Those who defy it, glory!
Garwulf
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Garwulf » 11 Feb 2015, 21:47

To Cam (and anybody else interested in vintage watches and the like):

I don't know if this fits in your budget, but this site is Canadian (so no cross-border duties), and it has a bunch of vintage wristwatches that seem to be in good order for under $200: http://www.theclocksmiths.com/Pages/Wristwatches_Page1.htm

It has some nice pocket watches too. I THINK they're open for business (it's past October 31st, at any rate) - I was going to use them to source a watch, but then my great grandfather's Waltham came into my hands and I had to put the money towards restoring it instead.
Author, Editor, Publisher, and Researcher
Read Garwulf's Corner, on Medium: https://medium.com/tag/garwulfs-corner/archive

...and please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/RobertBMarks
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 19 Mar 2015, 09:46

Any chance of a playthrough of Sid Meier's Starships? I've heard very divergent reviews (either it is very good, or utter crap) and would be interested in seeing Cam's take on it.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Mar 2015, 23:11

I havent heard much about the game myself, isnt it a updates Pirates! set in space. Rather than colonizing a planet you travel between them and fight space battles?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 20 Mar 2015, 14:11

It looks like it, but I've seen very polarized reviews of it so I'd like to see someone like Cam do a run through it. Even if it's bad, Cam is entertaining!
HeyZootie

Postby HeyZootie » 21 Mar 2015, 07:03

Just wanted to mention something about the copyrighted music - instead of playing it through a channel where it can be heard on the stream, why not just route it to your headphones? Since you're usually doing Internet radio, you can just show the source site and selection on the stream and anyone who wants to join you on the musical journey can do so.

I'm pretty sure that will work, but of course, please check me on the equipment side of things. If it does work, everyone wins :)
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Mar 2015, 08:59

There's also the plug.dj option that Kathleen has previously used. If you route it separately to your headphones, then everyone can listen to the same song together, while it doesn't go to the stream.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

HeyZootie

Postby HeyZootie » 25 Mar 2015, 08:46

AdmiralMemo wrote:There's also the plug.dj option that Kathleen has previously used. If you route it separately to your headphones, then everyone can listen to the same song together, while it doesn't go to the stream.

By everyone, do you mean the streamers, or the audience? I am ambivalent about sharing the musical journey (and sometimes I actually don't want to as I'm not into the music being played) so having the music not be on the stream is fine with me. But I think the streamer is doing it as part of the show, so they're trying to share it with the audience.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 25 Mar 2015, 13:04

Streamers and audience... But the audience gets to choose to participate in the music or not. Particularly with Cam's stream, I think he's playing the music for him, not his audience, necessarily, so if it keeps him happy, allows the audience to hear it if they want, and doesn't get the stream muted, then I think it's pretty good.

It's an option that's available. That's all I'm saying.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

HeyZootie

Postby HeyZootie » 26 Mar 2015, 07:04

AdmiralMemo wrote:Streamers and audience... But the audience gets to choose to participate in the music or not. Particularly with Cam's stream, I think he's playing the music for him, not his audience, necessarily, so if it keeps him happy, allows the audience to hear it if they want, and doesn't get the stream muted, then I think it's pretty good.

It's an option that's available. That's all I'm saying.

Hey the forum broke my reply. Here it is again.

That sounds like a great answer then. Any way to popularize it amongst the crew? Aside from these posts I mean. The muting really messes up the show, as you have to skip that section, Twitch starts having a lot of odd player problems at those points, etc. So I'm happy to hear there's a solution.
Garwulf
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Garwulf » 26 Mar 2015, 09:12

So, my takeaways from Bloodborne last night:

- Somebody, either the player character or in the production design team, REALLY doesn't understand how suspenders work.

- You can kill somebody by poking them really hard with a cane.

- You can impale somebody on a cane.

- Angry, werewolf-hunting mobs are very blase about their members, to the point that one of their company falling dead beside them is not worthy of note.

- Muzzle-loading single-shot guns don't need to be reloaded until you run completely out of ammo.

- If you're a foreigner in a city in the middle of a mob hunt for werewolves, don't worry about just killing the monsters - you are perfectly in the right to murder everybody who crosses your path, even if all they're doing is sitting down for a rest.

- Need to know if somebody is evil or creepy? Never fear! Meaningful facial hair has been provided for your convenience.

On a serious note, I very much enjoyed the stream, and love the look of the game. The Medieval setting is a bit overused these days, and I was very happy to see something much more late 18th/early 19th century for a change.
Author, Editor, Publisher, and Researcher
Read Garwulf's Corner, on Medium: https://medium.com/tag/garwulfs-corner/archive

...and please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/RobertBMarks
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 27 Mar 2015, 03:57

How are the reactions to Bloodborne? I really want to play it and want to go in not knowing anything about what happens so I will not watch the streams of it. Just want to know if it's everything I expect in quality (since I'm thinking about buying PS4 only because of Bloodborne)
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 27 Mar 2015, 04:08

Short answer, it's a Gothic Victorian version of Dark Souls- almost all the tropes and features of DS are present here. In that respect, it's arguably unimaginative- however, it's great selling point (relatively speaking) is that it has much more individual personality and the world seems more alive.

This coming from someone who really doesn't like Dark Souls and is ambivalent about Bloodborne thus far, so take it with a pinch of salt
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Mar 2015, 04:58

From what I've seen/heard, it's everything people liked about Dark Souls, and then some. If you enjoyed Dark Souls, you'll enjoy Bloodborne.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 27 Mar 2015, 06:03

That's what I hoped to hear. for the last year Dark Souls has been like the only game I've really had an urge to play, looks like I'll have to save up for a PS4 then.
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 26 Apr 2015, 15:25

So, I know Cam typically doesn't take suggestions on games to play on stream, but having finished this game and enjoying it immensely, I thought I'd give it a shot for the suggestion box if he ever tires of Bloodborne.

Codename STEAM for the 3DS. Little game by Intelligent Systems, a studio that Nintendo owns whose catalog includes the Advance Wars and Fire Emblem series. So, these guys are Nintendo's go-to team for strategy games. The game take various famous characters from American literature (Queequeg, Tom Sawyer, the Lion from the Wizard of Oz, John Henry (though I guess that last one is more folk lore than literature)), suits them up with steampunk weapons and armor, and sends them to fight a war against aliens with designs lifted out of a Lovecraft novel. I've heard a lot of people compare it to Valkyria Chronicles, but having watched those Valkyria Chronicles streams, I feel that only applies due to the third-person camera and the fact that each squad member has an action bar rather than just a set number of actions per turn. It honestly feels more XCOM to me, probably mostly due to small things like how they handle their overwatch mechanic and the fact that movement is grid-based. (Yes, grid-based and third-person shooter controls. It sounds like it shouldn't work, but it does.) It also can be pretty difficult. I always feel bad when I have to pay valuable medals that could unlock me new sidearms to use the little save stations that pop up in missions for the sake of reviving fallen squad members, but I still end up doing it repeatedly in the harder late game missions.

One gripe with the game? The giant robot battles that suddenly shift the game to something else entirely. But there's only 3 in the game, thankfully. But, it's Japan, and because it's Japan, there are always giant robots.

Also, I imagine myself just laughing at the ridiculous titles in the lower third. "Team American Lit" pops to mind, just because the game does sometimes have a ridiculous "MURICA! FUCK YEAH" attitude going about in spite of being made in Japan. Seriously, the first thing I thought when I saw the Mission Complete screen was, "Really?" Followed by, "Wait, NINTENDO published this?"
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 01 Jun 2015, 08:04

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 01 Jun 2015, 08:28

Well that looked goddamn awesome
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
HeyZootie

Postby HeyZootie » 02 Jun 2015, 06:09

Just wanted to put in a sympathy vote for the marathon Xcom (later Bloodborne and Dark Souls) stream. I salute your patience sir! I'd have been uninstalling at some of those RNG results. Not to mention the run of point-blank misses on the Seekers. If you calc the hit probabilities vs the results, at times the game was doing the rough equivalent of giving you one heads per 5 coin tosses. Just wow.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”