The House of Stark

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Re: The House of Stark

Postby jkefka » 28 Mar 2014, 09:15

eostby wrote:So, I don't know if House of Stark is necessarily the stream to play this on, but I would love to see WWE 2K14 (or really any WWE game, I'm not that picky). And since Graham is a big wrestling fan, he just seems like the right person to play it.

A GPLP, in full costume, would be pretty much the best thing ever.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Kingdragon81
First Video: It's magic

Postby Kingdragon81 » 02 Apr 2014, 11:46

I would love to see you play Dark Souls Graham and as a long time fan of the series I can give you some pointers and a proper explanation all the mechanics if you would like. Also I would love to see you and Alex team up for a game of splintercell or some other co-op stealth game. The combined "stealth" would be comedy gold.
KITTY!
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 02 Apr 2014, 19:49

Sakurazaki wrote:I'd also highly recommend Outland, especially if you like Metroidvania games. Think of it as a bizarre combination of Journey, Ikaruga, and Symphony of The Night (albeit with less RPG elements). I think it may be a PSN exclusive, but it might have gotten a Steam release since I played it last.

Outland was released on XBLA. It does need a Steam release, though. Any game that is Ikaruga: the Platformer needs a solid release on a platform I'm not going to throw away.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Trippzen
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Trippzen » 03 Apr 2014, 20:06

So, since the stream (and the ISP, apparently) went down briefly during Goat Simulator, I decided to watch the newest Friday Nights, Friday Nights: Darkness from mid March. Imagine my surprise when only 33 seconds into the video I spotted what I could only consider to be an omen:

See anything...odd about the picture? Anything that stands out?

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOZxhPUj ... 042C22EB03
Trippzen or Scy
Battle.net: Scy#1617
WoW: Scy (US-Proudmoore)
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 03 Apr 2014, 20:49

Maybe that's what happened to the stream? The ISP was all "If these guys play Goat Simulator one more time, I'm gonna scoop."
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 03 Apr 2014, 21:32

I'm not sure what I saw tonight, but I am sure i'll only see it again at the end of days
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 17 Apr 2014, 21:31

I have to say, I do love Dark Souls, but seeing someone learn to play is almost as fun as playing myself. Especially because of Graham's hesitance about the game before the Zero Punctuation, I was glad to see him enjoying it so much. Hope it'll be back next week!
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Kingdragon81

Postby Kingdragon81 » 17 Apr 2014, 23:57

I agree with Jamfalcon. It's great seeing a game I love so much enjoyed by other people. Can't wait to see his reaction to some of the bosses. Also Graham if you kill Fluffy Tail I'll never forgive you.
KITTY!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 18 Apr 2014, 07:56

...this positive introduction to the game MIGHT be more usefully entertaining to me than actually beating my head against the game (due to my degraded reactions)...but it's kinda making me thing about Demon's Souls - I had a sudden epiphany that "Hey wait! I've got a PS3; it's right over there next to the television that I haven't turned on in about six months..."

Also, re: Graham's first encounter with the fire drake 'in passing': apparently EVERY Stark does awesome "NOPE"s :lol:
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 22 Apr 2014, 13:55

I'm gonna drop some useful Dark Souls knowledge here for Graham and Alex about Covenants and multiplayer. This is the quick version.

Covenants affect what items could be available to you and how you multiplayer. There are nine of them, most are for PvP play, one is for Pyromancers, and 3 are for co-op benefits. The easiest to join is Way of White, which grants you easier chance at co-op and reduces chance of invasions. You just have to talk to Petrus at the Firelink Shrine, the fat-looking cleric. I won't go into details on the rest, since for streaming purposes you probably won't go joining anything else and you are both playing warrior characters.

You can have up to two white/gold co-op phantoms with you, with a third multiplayer slot for red phantom invaders. Supposedly being in Way of White allows that third slot to be taken by co-op.
Co-op players can only exist in the area they were summoned and only while the area boss is alive. If you die, if they die, or you defeat the boss in the area, they disappear. They can't heal themselves with a flask, instead they get health when you use your's.

You can use the White soapstone to leave your summon sign for people to summon you for boss fights. This is a useful and safer way to get both souls and humanity, as you get both defeating the boss. If you die in co-op, you don't lose anything. You just return to where you were summoned from. Best part, you don't have to be "human" to leave your summon sign, so co-op is a good way to get humanity for kindling when you don't want to use items.

You can only be invaded in areas while "Human" (which you already know) and only while the area boss is still alive. Once you have defeated the area boss, you are safe. Once invaded, you can't escape the area unless you pass through a normal fog door, ie go into a boss fight. All other exits are blocked by fog you can't pass through. It's kill or be killed usually. In a pinch, you can try to get to a co-op summon sign and bring in help.

If you find you really dislike invaders, you can go to the first belltower and get that item that allows you to report invaders that kill you. You only need one. As long as it is in your inventory, you will get the option to report them when killed. It gives them "Sin", which allows for the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant to invade and hunt them. It's a punishment system. Blade phantoms are blue. If you co-op, you could encounter them as enemies if your host has been bad.

Pro-tip: there are areas the white soapstone won't work. These are areas that can't be reached for multiplayer. It's a nice trick to find where you are safe from invaders while "Human". For example, the blacksmith's residence is a safe zone.

Long read, I know. Hope it helps. I may have more posts with useful info.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Jonci

Postby Jonci » 23 Apr 2014, 08:49

Next up: Weapon upgrading! This is important and really helps to know so you can plan ahead.
There are 10 upgrade paths for regular weapons (those not considered dragon, demon, or unique). This paths are:
Normal, Raw, Crystal, Divine, Occult, Magic, Enchanted, Fire, Chaos, and Lightning. To upgrade into or pass certain levels, you need Embers, which are scattered around the game. I won't spoil locations.

Normal: Regular upgrade path that can go as high at +15. You need the Large Ember to go past +5 and the Very Large Ember to go past +10. Stat scaling doesn't change, each level just increases the base damage by a normal amount. This path is for easy upgrading with no specialization into the weapon, especially if you want to just go pure STR/DEX stat scaling.

Raw: Update path that goes to +5. You can upgrade a Normal+5 weapon into a Raw weapon. Raw weapons have higher base damage, with reduced stat scaling. Good for making strong weapons if you don't want to beef up your STR or DEX.

Crystal: Upgrade path that does to +5. You need the Crystal Ember and a Normal+10 weapon to use this path. Crystal weapons have much improved base damage and stat scaling per level. HOWEVER, you cannot repair a crystal weapon. The only way to reset durability is to upgrade it. So once it has hit +5, you have no way to repair it again.

Divine: Goes to +10. You need the Divine Ember and a Normal+5 weapon to enter this path and a Large Divine Ember to go past +5. This path adds Faith into stat scaling and reduced STR/DEX scaling. It also had increased damage against skeletons, mass of souls, and Four Kings. It will prevent skeletons in the Catacombs from reviving, even if their necromancer is still alive.

Occult: Goes to +5. You need a Dark Ember and a Divine+5 weapon. It has higher Faith scaling than Divine. You lose the bonus to divine-weak enemies, and increase get increased damage to Black Knights, Silver Knights, and Gwyn.

Magic: Goes to +10. You need a Normal+5 weapon to go this path and a Large Magic Ember to go past +5. This path adds Intelligence to your stat scaling, with reduced STR/DEX scaling. Good for Sorcery users.

Enchanted: Goes to +5. Requires a Magic+5 weapon and the Enchanted Ember. This has even higher Intelligence scaling than Magic. Useful for pure Sorcery users that haven't put anything into STR or DEX.

Fire: Goes to +10. Requires a Normal+5 weapon to enter the path and Large Flame Ember to go past +5. This path adds more Fire elemental damage to weapons.

Chaos: Goes to +5. Requires a Fire+5 weapon and the Chaos Flame Ember to enter. This one is a strange path, as it adds Fire damage based on how much Humanity stat you currently have, up to 10. At 5+ Humanity, a Chaos+5 weapon does more Fire damage than a Fire+10 weapon.

Lightning: Goes to +10. You need a Normal+10 weapon to enter this path. This path adds Lightning elemental damage to your weapon.

There are also Boss weapons. Some bosses will drop their soul, which you can use to forge certain weapons into a Boss version of that weapon. The weapon will have to be Normal+10 before you can upgrade it, and can upgrade to +5. But you need to know which weapon can be upgraded this way and I'm not writing that list.

FINALLY, there are 4 blacksmiths in the game. Each one will handle different upgrade paths and they are the ones you will give the necessary Embers to.

Andre handles Normal, Raw, Divine, and Occult paths. He's the one near Undead Parish.

Rickert handles Magic and Enchanted paths. He's in New Londo Ruins, not far from the main entrance from Firelink Shrine. He is hard to miss, though.

Giant blacksmith handles Boss, Crystal, and Lightning paths. He's in Anor Londo.

Vamos handles Fire and Chaos paths. He's hidden away in the Catacombs and is tricky to find.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 24 Apr 2014, 00:29

WTF Dark Souls.

Thanks for that.
Jonci

Postby Jonci » 24 Apr 2014, 08:03

You are welcome. I've enjoyed watching your Dark Souls streams, so figured I'd pass on some of the obscure information that would be helpful. And I don't want to give too much away because that would just ruin the fun. Our fun watching anyway.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 24 Apr 2014, 09:48

BTW, Graham, the cave you discovered in Darkroot Basin leads you to a path to the back entrance of Blighttown. You just have to run past the drakes, along the cliff face, they won't hit you if you just run in a straight line. Once you see an undead dragon, you'll be fine. Past that, there will be a cave entrance, with some big guys in it. They hit like a truck, but they're slow, so keep kiting around. Once past them, there will be a chest that contains a key to the gate to the shortcut to firelink shrine, from the elevator.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 24 Apr 2014, 11:20

Chetoos... we'll try that next time :D

#YOLOSTRATS
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 24 Apr 2014, 11:58

Also, if you go back to your heater shield, you can have the gloves on and still have a medium roll.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 24 Apr 2014, 18:40

chetoos wrote:...Once you see an undead dragon, you'll be fine...

:shock:

I never thought I'd see the day where that collection of words would be meaningful and truthful... :lol:
deathjavu
First Video: First episode of unskippable

Postby deathjavu » 24 Apr 2014, 22:56

Uh...shouldn't you mention that the undead dragon will try to kill him when he runs past? I haven't played Dark Souls in a while but I'm 80% sure what you're describing runs straight through the Dragon's aggro zone.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 25 Apr 2014, 01:16

I seem to remember he stays asleep unless you try to grab the items he is guarding.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

deathjavu
First Video: First episode of unskippable

Postby deathjavu » 25 Apr 2014, 01:33

Yeah, I checked, if you give the dragon a wide enough berth and don't pick up the items, it doesn't wake up. That's kind of an important detail though (oh hey look at these items, might as well grab those OH GOD WHY IS IT MOVING NOW)

Although the dragon is guarding both a) Astora's Straight sword, a really great faith weapon for fighting skeletons (it upgrades with twinkling titanite you might not otherwise be using) and b) the Dragon Crest Shield, one of the best shields in the game, (100% phys + high fire resistance). Generally the crest shield is better, but bosses with heavily fire-based attacks (like certain bosses that Graham might run into at the bottom of Blighttown, for instance) the Dragon Crest shield is better. Plus, this one's arguably easier to get, Graham wouldn't have to go fight Oscar and then be sad as chat explained what happened there.

I guess my recommendation is to avoid the Dragon the first time, unlock the shortcut, rest at Firelink, and THEN try nabbing the items from the Dragon. Especially since once it's awake, it's awake, and you can't really run past it once it's awake...

Also, with the running plan, it's important to walk every so often to build stamina back up for the next dash. Running out of stamina while a lightning attack is incoming is an easy way to fail. The trick is to rest/walk when it's safe.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 25 Apr 2014, 05:27

Or he can go grab a buttload of arrows from the blacksmith and go back and pepper the dragon from a distance. It's how I killed it.
MadWaltz
First Video: Bed Buggery (I think)

Postby MadWaltz » 26 Apr 2014, 19:50

Jonci wrote:Fire: Goes to +10. Requires a Normal+5 weapon to enter the path and Large Flame Ember to go past +5. This path adds more Fire elemental damage to weapons.

Chaos: Goes to +5. Requires a Fire+5 weapon and the Chaos Flame Ember to enter. This one is a strange path, as it adds Fire damage based on how much Humanity stat you currently have, up to 10. At 5+ Humanity, a Chaos+5 weapon does more Fire damage than a Fire+10 weapon.

Lightning: Goes to +10. You need a Normal+10 weapon to enter this path. This path adds Lightning elemental damage to your weapon.

It's also important to note that Fire, Chaos and Lightning weapons eliminate any stat scaling the weapon previously had, making them especially good for characters that don't have particularly high STR, DEX, INT, or FTH. Though they are quite good weapons in general.
TheHokeyPokey
First Video: Unskippable pilot

Postby TheHokeyPokey » 29 Apr 2014, 13:39

I'm not going to be able to watch the stream this Thursday, so if you want to do your first playthrough "as intended" I suggest Capra cheese. First, buy a ton of dung pies and a couple anti-toxic moss from the merchant in the aqueduct. Equip them to your item slot and a short bow to one of your weapon slots. Go up to the fog door and clear out the enemies in the general area for safety. Stand under the arch in front of the fog door and manual aim the bow up above the wall. Proceed to hurl dung pies over the wall until you see the bosses health bar start dropping through the fog. You will probably get toxic in the process, so cure it with the moss and wait for the boss to die. Watch out for the dogs, because the fog door will let them out when Capra dies.

I have beaten the game dozens of times, but I still have trouble with "legit" Capra.
Kingdragon81

Postby Kingdragon81 » 30 Apr 2014, 00:21

I've noticed you've been going mainly strength Graham so if I may be so bold as to make a recommendation for a new weapon. You almost have the stats needed to properly wield the Zweihander with one hand and a shield in the other. All you need to do is run through the cemetery with all the skeletons near fire link shrine. I feel like you'll enjoy it.
KITTY!
LambMower
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby LambMower » 01 May 2014, 19:42

Here's the link to the Dark Souls text mod I created that Graham is using: http://bit.ly/LRRDarkSouls

Enjoy!

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”