IDDQDerp nextplay poll ROUND 6

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: IDDQDerp nextplay poll ROUND 4

Postby empath » 25 Mar 2014, 10:05

If alex'd rather take it on his own account, they can always refuse the gift, and send you a steam msg to that effect :)
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 25 Mar 2014, 10:12

I'm thinking more they can put it in their own inventory, and then give it to him that way. I might try to take a nap before he streams, and if he has time/wants to play it after Jazzpunk, I want him to have it available.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 25 Mar 2014, 10:38

Oh YEAH - that's an option too! (Seriously, for all my ranting about VAVLe's 'failings' it's more a case of confirmation bias in zeroing in on the 1% less-than-perfect part of their products; Steam is REALLY flexible and strong on 'keeping your options open'. :)
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 25 Mar 2014, 10:43

Trust me, that wasn't always an option. I actually did a ton of Steam trading back around the time it came into being. And all the way from back then to now, it's still very buggy more often than not. I had to go through a bunch of hoops just to get the copy as I did. Features like being able to make gifts into tradable items, being able to have offers going on while either party is offline, and so on were all stuff we really wanted. So it's nice to see they're there, even if they don't work sometimes.

So yea, Steam gets flexible by people wanting something and them actually implementing it. In other words, they aren't complete idiots like some companies I could mention. :P
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 25 Mar 2014, 12:54

Valve removed it most likely because GFWL is going to be defunct in a few months, and removing it is easier than the game company fixing it to not need GFWL.
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 25 Mar 2014, 19:52

I want to thank everyone who voted for Jazzpunk for today's stream, I'm SO playing that when I get back my main computer.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: IDDQDerp nextplay poll ROUND 5

Postby Jamfalcon » 28 Mar 2014, 10:21

Just thought I'd mention, since it's one of the upcoming candidates, Just Cause 2 is on sale on Steam for less than $4 at the moment.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 28 Mar 2014, 19:26

Shadows of the Damned/Chainsaw Lollipop?
Trippzen
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Trippzen » 05 Apr 2014, 07:17

ritchards wrote:Hey, Alex, how do you feel about rage games like I Wanna Be The Guy?
Eryi's Action might be an interesting tilt game too, if it hasn't been mentioned already.
Trippzen or Scy
Battle.net: Scy#1617
WoW: Scy (US-Proudmoore)
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 05 Apr 2014, 13:27

STAR CONTROL 2!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 05 Apr 2014, 16:16

Seeing how Dr. Alex's most fun streams seem to involve platformers of some description, I thought I'd chip in. (since spamming the chat regularly doesn't seem to be working)

For your consideration:

Volgarr the Viking (2013)

Tough as nails, but fair, you'll mostly die by your own failure, not the game being cheap. To me it most closely resembles to old Castlevania games in both style, level design and challenge. Great music too.

Screenshots:

Guacamelee (2013)

Metroidvania style platformer with a mexican wrestler theme and Devil May Cry-like combat system, all based on wrestling moves. Fantastic art design and music, tight controls and some very challenging platforming sections in the later parts. Oh and 2 player co-op.

Also this is one of the costume choices: Image

Screenshots:

Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 05 Apr 2014, 20:26

I'm pretty sure Alex has no intention of playing I Wanna Be the Guy or some other "frustration game" on stream. He loves well-designed games and IWBtG deliberately breaks fundamental rules of game design for shits and giggles.

Eyri's Action is the same way. Default Dan might be worth at least a look though, because in that game they give you a fighting chance; there are clear rules, and if you pay attention you can figure them out pretty quick.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 05 Apr 2014, 21:35

Honestly, from what I've seen/played of Default Dan, it's overall a fairly basic platformer that just tries to trick your senses to kill you. Doesn't seem like anything special to me.

Also, agreed on Eyri's Action. It's a game that just cheats you rather than challenge you. "Oh, didn't know that these spikes which you couldn't see were there? Well, you're dead. Start again." It's not that annoying since it doesn't set you back that far. But unlike, say, Super Meat Boy, it also doesn't seem as rewarding to actually progress in. It's more that you found the way to get past the obstacle.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Apr 2014, 19:15

Alex I checked the totals, Star Control 2 won.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Apr 2014, 19:23

-
Last edited by Kapol on 12 Apr 2017, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 13 Apr 2014, 18:57

Dominic Appleguard wrote:I'm pretty sure Alex has no intention of playing I Wanna Be the Guy or some other "frustration game" on stream. He loves well-designed games and IWBtG deliberately breaks fundamental rules of game design for shits and giggles.

Eyri's Action is the same way. Default Dan might be worth at least a look though, because in that game they give you a fighting chance; there are clear rules, and if you pay attention you can figure them out pretty quick.

I would play I wanna be the guy *once* on stream, but fuck trying to beat it. That title is less a game and more a cute party trick.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Apr 2014, 10:13

When the freaking creator can't remember how to beat it at certain points in his Let's Play, it's not worth trying to beat for fun. :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 15 Apr 2014, 23:34

Dominic Appleguard wrote:I'm pretty sure Alex has no intention of playing I Wanna Be the Guy or some other "frustration game" on stream. He loves well-designed games and IWBtG deliberately breaks fundamental rules of game design for shits and giggles.

As true as that is, I honestly think that's the best part of it. The game manages to know exactly where to put that hidden trap to kill you. There are plenty of traps that are the easiest thing in the world to dodge or just walk past, but he placed them so precisely in those otherwise perfect "bad part is over, breather time now" spots that everyone who plays them falls for them. Still, probably wouldn't be that great of a game for him beyond maybe a few minutes of shits-n-giggles streaming

If Alex is looking for another good puzzly-platformer after Teslagrad, I might recommend Vessel, which is a fluid physics/AI manipulation puzzler, I've had it for a while (got it via Humble Bundle) and I've been enjoying it in short doses.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 16 Apr 2014, 08:04

why is Star Control 2 not on the list? its the best game EVER

[–]Graham_LRR
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 16 Apr 2014, 11:39

Lancer wrote:
As true as that is, I honestly think that's the best part of it. The game manages to know exactly where to put that hidden trap to kill you. There are plenty of traps that are the easiest thing in the world to dodge or just walk past, but he placed them so precisely in those otherwise perfect "bad part is over, breather time now" spots that everyone who plays them falls for them. Still, probably wouldn't be that great of a game for him beyond maybe a few minutes of shits-n-giggles streaming.
I've watched people streaming I Wanna Be the Guy/Boshy and they're fucking interminable to watch. Just endless repetition for hours.

I would never stream one, and not because I wouldn't enjoy it, because I don't think it's entertaining to the viewers.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 17 Apr 2014, 05:32

let's just step a few steps and stream hitting ourselves in the privates with a hammer. We'll "win" when it starts to go numb
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: IDDQDerp nextplay poll ROUND 6

Postby Prospero101 » 22 Apr 2014, 09:20

I'm voting for Just Cause 2. Why? Just 'cause!

...2!
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Apr 2014, 09:32

Guacamelee

Tell me this doesn't look like fun: StreamBros stream of it

ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 22 Apr 2014, 09:44

Guacamelee is guaranteed hilarity with a decent possibility of tilting on some of the more challenging platforming sections.

Also there are chickens... many many chickens.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Apr 2014, 10:10

彡(_°)> BAWK!

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”