Let's NOPE pre-voting

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Re: Let's NOPE pre-voting

Postby SAJewers » 07 Oct 2014, 13:32

If it's an actual Steam key (and not a game in your Steam Inventory that you can gift), then probably email/PM the key directly to Graham or Alex.
LastChance
First Video: Feeddump

Postby LastChance » 25 Oct 2014, 16:13

I know this has nothing to do with voting but seeing as I could not find another "Lets NOPE" board I'll post this here.

Alex I enjoy your streams and your insight into video games is one of the many reasons why I tune into your stream, but I have to point out that the bodily functions that you emit while on stream significantly detract from the otherwise pleasant experience. I would greatly appreciate it if you refrained from partaking in them while you live stream.
coolbond
First Video: cant remeber

Postby coolbond » 01 Nov 2014, 09:44

i would love it if he played 5NAF2 when it comes out
Sanerem
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Planet

Postby Sanerem » 03 Nov 2014, 19:09

There is a game that I can't decide if it would be a Let's Nope or a Watch and Play. It's called Realms of the Haunting, a game on Steam formerly on MS-DOS.

You play a young man investigating a clearly haunted house, and it feels like Clive Barker's Undying or a mystery point-and-click. Then you quickly find a cult of ghost-cultist-zombie-alien-demon-monsters that you suddenly fight in the style of DOOM or Wolfenstein. Cutscenes are hilarious, yet the game is dark and gritty like it's trying SO hard to be scary. I don't really know what to make of it, but the reviews are surprisingly positive.

It's not a traditional Let's Nope game, but it had the feel of a Watch-And-Nope after a few minutes.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 04 Nov 2014, 09:11

coolbond wrote:i would love it if he played 5NAF2 when it comes out

I believe on one of his recent streams he stated he wouldn't play it, due to the first one being too stressful.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
beowuuf
First Video: Can't remember! Binged them all so fast!

Postby beowuuf » 04 Nov 2014, 10:50

Regarding Realms of the Haunting, the reason for the positive reviews is that back in the day it was a cool game. It went for FMV cut scenes and had a nice backstory / mythology underneath. And it was creepy at the time.

I daresay it won't have survived well given almost 20 years have passed since it first came out, but what does :D People could rip apart Half Life's starting tram ride, but that was one of the coolest cinematic, mood setting, 'look at where you'll be playing and hey all of this is being done in engine' set ups ever that I don't think has been repeated well. Now anyone could snark their way through every second of it.

I think playing Realms on stream would either just be 'haha, this game is old and hasn't aged well, why didn't they get A list actors' etc or 'I remember this' whilst the gameplay is now 18 years outdated.

I imagine it's not really bad in the way Watch and Play needs, whilst the game might not hold up enough for a true Let's Nope. Maybe a GPLP has the right balance of gentle mockery if needed whilst still seriously playing a game?

Didn't Jim Sterling play this a while back too?
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 05 Nov 2014, 15:25

Now that I've played it for a bit, I have to say, I'd love to see Alien: Isolation. It's the only horror game I've played that has implemented FPS elements without diminishing the horror. Knowing that loud combat can bring the unkillable Alien works quite well as a detractor.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 05 Nov 2014, 17:01

Didn't they already play the first three hours or so of Alien: Isolation?
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 05 Nov 2014, 19:16

Alex and Cam played Alien Isolation... it did not go... well.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 06 Nov 2014, 04:54

Honestly, I feel it went well up until the point where they had to fight people. And even then, I feel that was largely due to the decision to put the game on hard. If they had just got passed it in one go, they would have complained but moved on. When it gets dragged out... well, the fallout lasts longer.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 06 Nov 2014, 10:10

Plus Isolation is one of those slow-boil games. Doesn't work well with a 3-hour stream when there isn't much happening.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Nov 2014, 15:37

So, Five Nights At Freddy's 2 is already out. Somehow. Apparently, it's better. Also, they took one of the suggestions they mentioned on-stream. You get a flashlight! And you can't run out of power supplied from a 9-volt generator! Though the flashlight can run out. It looks interesting, and I want to see it happen on stream. But I don't blame anyone if it doesn't. I'm certainly not going to play it.
Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 13 Nov 2014, 10:21

Here is a crazy idea that I'd love to see Alex play: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for Gamecube. Heck, we might even be able to get Beej on there.
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Tatchy
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Tatchy » 13 Nov 2014, 12:25

I would love to see more of Amnesia.

Also near the end of Afterfall Insanity Alex described how he much less likely to do something the more people tell him to do it. I have the exact same reaction 90% of the time. Its like someone asks "Please do X." or "You would love Y." and I think sure sounds great, but when I get asked a second time I immediately think "NO." I know this is totally irrational, but that doesn't keep it from happening lol.

Its also like a exponential relationship between times asked beyond one and length of time till suggested activity lol.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Nov 2014, 12:28

I'm on the other side, and just can't understand that mindset. For me, the more people tell me that I'd like something, the more likely I am to put it on my list of things I may (eventually) get around to doing (not coincidentally, it's a rather long list at this point). Or at least investigate the thing far enough to see if it actually is something I might enjoy.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Nov 2014, 18:35

I'm like Master Gunner, but there is an upper limit. Like DB5 I think it was where people in chat were OBSESSED with Skyrim and MLP. Like asking everyone who their favorite pony is, or if they've played Skyrim and how awesome it is, and so forth. That massive amount of hype and, frankly, annoyingly high level of obsession really put me off both of them.
GDwarf
First Video: Unskippable

Postby GDwarf » 25 Nov 2014, 20:05

I'm like Kapol in that there is an upper limit. Too much hype makes me far less likely to want to experience something, because I feel like I'm being pressured into it. One, two, or even five people saying I'd like something? Sure. Fifty? I'll wait a few years to look at it, if I ever do. Plus, one person pushing repeatedly is an instant killer.
May those who accept their fate find happiness; Those who defy it, glory!
Aodhan
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby Aodhan » 28 Nov 2014, 13:24

Not sure this is the right place for this question, but does anyone have an idea of what game Alex will be playing in a few hours time?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 01 Dec 2014, 15:38

So, I'm watching The Evil Within's new episode. One thing that came up again was the 'black bars.' The thing is, here it's used as a stylistic choice. Alex mentions that there's no information there, and that's true. But in this case, those areas are... well, not added on, but they're purposefully left black. The reasons the black bars were there for movies was due to the type of film used. The camera captured that aspect ratio and therefore there was no information to display in those areas. But in a game, that area could be rendered without too much added difficulty. It's not like film where there's no data that can be displayed there. It's a choice of the developers made.

Personally, I don't mind them too much myself as I'm playing through. But they really narrow the screen to the point where it does feel limiting. "wide-screening' a game on a wide screen seems like a weird idea.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Dec 2014, 16:42

I find the black bars extremely annoying, to the point of distraction. I get that it's an aesthetic choice that harkens back to movies...but there are better ways of accomplishing that, I think.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Dec 2014, 02:45

It boils down to two things:

It's a valid stylistic choice. Don't dismiss the content based solely on the art direction.

As a stylistic choice, though, you're not required to like it.

:)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 02 Dec 2014, 07:19

No, some things are just plain stupid and useless, and it could have easily been a non-issue by adding a toggle.
As it stands the only reason for the stupid and useless black bars is so they can get it to run on consoles (and even so it struggles to maintain 30FPS)
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 03 Dec 2014, 11:14

oh alice...oh honey no. :(

that dollhouse level literally made me queasy...altho inside the red queen didnt

but that finale? PERFECT its like the true villain was pushing her to do that. soooo satisfying

all in all, id say spicy horse int'l did a magnificent job with that game - not revolutionary with game mechanice or such, but what they did choose to do, the excelled at. [and if what they chose was 'make empath ill' they did -that- well, too! still gonna kick em ion the junk if i ever meet any of thse devs...right after i praise them ;)]

again thank you alex for playing a game i wouldnt have the coordination/reflexes for anymore, and allowing me to experience it. :)
SkylerRingtail
First Video: Annette: Internet Receptionist @Escapist

Postby SkylerRingtail » 05 Dec 2014, 21:08

Its less of a horror game and more of an atmospheric story game, but I was creeped out when I played "The Mirror Lied." Its a free, ~20 minute game from Freebird Games(the guys behind To The Moon). Could be good Let's Nope filler?

http://freebirdgames.com/games/the-mirror-lied/
Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 12 Dec 2014, 11:55

What about some older games like Realms of Haunting? It got a pretty solid review. http://www.pcgamer.com/crap-shoot-realms-of-the-haunting/
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”