Things on My Stream

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Trippzen
First Video: Unskippable

Re: Things on My Stream

Postby Trippzen » 20 Mar 2015, 14:56

GDwarf wrote:However, Ys VII and Celceta aren't available on PC, so unless the LRR crew possesses a method to stream PSP or PS Vita games they'll have to stick with the others.

Since the order of games is a bit confusing (most of the titles have been remade multiple times, and the remakes sometimes drop the sequence number) the release order (with remakes being placed where the original game would be) is as follows:
Ys I
Ys II
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Ys: Memories of Celceta*
Ys: Kefin, The Lost City of Sand**
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim**
Ys Origin
Ys Seven

*Apparently there are multiple games that were originally called Ys IV, but this is now the canonical one.

**Not released in English, so far as I'm aware.

The in-game chronological order is, I believe, identical to the above, so long as you move Ys Origin to the first slot, as it's a prequel. That said, it's full of references to Ys I and II, so it doesn't really make sense to play it first. Confused yet?

That said, the games are pretty plot-light, so the above list doesn't really matter.

TL;DR: Ys games are fun Zelda-like action-adventure RPGs that don't get anywhere near the attention they deserve, and four of them (I, II, Origin, and Oath in Felghana) are available on Steam for not very much.

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim was released in English on PS2 and PSP but I think the PS2 version is rare and therefore expensive so it might be the same problem as IV and VII. I've also heard that VI isn't as good though, especially on the PSP, which is unfortunate as I like the lore behind the Ark.

Also if you're just getting into the series it does make some sense to play Origin first as it is possibly the strongest entry in the series; as a recent entry it's very well polished. As far as story goes, yes it makes sense to play at least some of the others first, but Origin is the only one that you don't play as Adol so I think it's weird to sandwich it in-between the others. Ultimately, if you, or anyone, is only planning to play one of them, I'd recommend Origin, if more than one are planned then at least I & II first.

For streaming though, realistically, Chronicles (I & II) and Origin are great. The others are also good but playing all of them (or all but IV, VI, and VII) on stream would be a bit much, though I and II are also much shorter.

And there's a considerable amount of lore in Ys, but it isn't all delivered without extra reading and it's spread across eight games so it can be hard to keep track of everything without referring to the wiki.
Trippzen or Scy
Battle.net: Scy#1617
WoW: Scy (US-Proudmoore)
GDwarf

Postby GDwarf » 20 Mar 2015, 15:59

Also worth considering is The Dig, which was just released on GOG.
May those who accept their fate find happiness; Those who defy it, glory!
Garwulf
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Garwulf » 24 Mar 2015, 08:38

As a sudden thought...for those who are interested in playing Ur-Quan Masters HD themselves, the link is http://urquanmastershd.com/

Very worth it, and as I mentioned in the chat, it's prettier in person. For example, when you're at the Earth Starbase talking to the commander on the stream, the ship in the background has these vertical lines on it - in the actual game, they're textured.

Really, having now played it through, my only complaints with it at this point in time would be that it would be really nice if it had mouse support, and some internal tracking of quest locations, items, and information would be nice (after all, we've had that in RPGs for years now - I can't imagine it would be that hard to implement a quest tracking system...).

Still, very worth the time and the download...(and yes, I'm a fairly big fan).
Author, Editor, Publisher, and Researcher
Read Garwulf's Corner, on Medium: https://medium.com/tag/garwulfs-corner/archive

...and please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/RobertBMarks
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Mar 2015, 09:30

I suspect the reason they didnt add the quest tracker was because it wasnt in the original game. I think it would be easy to implement but would change the game. There is something almost magical about having a notepad next to your computer with hastily scribbled bits of info and speculation. Something would be lost if there was a menu option saying "Go to HellBorne Castle, talk to Garweese the fighter on the third floor (map note to were the castle is)" There are also a lot of secondary missions that are timed and having them disappear form a quest log when the time passes without you know it would ruin things.

I love everything about the remaster other than the backgrounds in systems. In the original they are just the blackness of space, in the remake it looks like every system is inside a nebula and its very hard to see.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Garwulf
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Garwulf » 24 Mar 2015, 12:57

Funnily enough, I really liked the nebula backgrounds...then again, I really like nebula in general, so I may be biased. I found, though, that I didn't have any trouble seeing the planets et al - in fact, the background helped out with a couple of the darker planets, as it offset them. But, as I said, I really like nebulas, so your mileage may vary. It is definitely one of those things that looks better in person than on stream, though.

(By the way, Garweese the fighter is on the SECOND floor, and is very annoyed when you mention the fuzzy bunnies...stupid, bunny-hating little...)

Still, this game brings back memories. I remember being in high school and watching my friend, Franklyn, play it on his computer. I didn't own it until the special CD edition, and I think I gave that away to my brother or something (I don't have a clue where it might be right now). It had a great fold-out starmap, though.

If I ever do a column on the phenomenon of lightning in a bottle, Star Control 2 will be the example...they just got everything right they could for that time.
Author, Editor, Publisher, and Researcher
Read Garwulf's Corner, on Medium: https://medium.com/tag/garwulfs-corner/archive

...and please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/RobertBMarks
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 31 Mar 2015, 22:01

Is anyone else kinda hoping that Paul will enter the next stream singing this, or is it just me?
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Redlin5
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby Redlin5 » 22 Apr 2015, 16:10

I'm sad I missed the finale of Star Control 2 this week. Watching it now but its not live. :c
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 18 May 2015, 18:39

After watching Paul have tons of fun playing Kirby's Epic Yarn, I'm thinking maybe Paul might like this game on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/351150/
Drakmon
First Video: lost planet

Postby Drakmon » 16 Jun 2015, 04:38

I find it odd that parts of portal 2 get muted, i don't remember any non original music from the game.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Jun 2015, 06:20

Wait what? He only played in-game music...
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Drakmon

Postby Drakmon » 16 Jun 2015, 07:16

For some reason the VOD is muted at 17 minutes and 57 minutes. No idea why as i can't hear the content but twitch has its reasons apparently?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Jun 2015, 14:43

I will watch the VOD later and try to figure out what it might've muted, though everything was just in-game music.

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 16 Jun 2015, 19:54

The only thing in the Portal 2 soundtrack I can think of that could potentially be in the databases as a "song" is Exile Vilify, but that wasn't even one of the bits that got muted, it was perfectly fine...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Jun 2015, 20:48

OK, I ain't got a clue in the first bit. There is basically nothing of real value lost as it was just Paul trying and failing to start the game and needing Graham's help to get the XBox working again. For the second bit, I don't know either, as it's just the middle of solving a single test chamber, of which neither end is muted. I'm going to assume both are false positives.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Jun 2015, 20:48

OK, I ain't got a clue in the first bit. There is basically nothing of real value lost as it was just Paul trying and failing to start the game and needing Graham's help to get the XBox working again. For the second bit, I don't know either, as it's just the middle of solving a single test chamber, of which neither end is muted. I'm going to assume both are false positives.

Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 18 Jun 2015, 09:03

I started thinking after last session of Portal 2 that it would be pretty cool to do some user-made levels once I have completed the single player story. To that end, I have decided to switch over to playing the steam version on stream. I downloaded it at home and quickly played through to the same place, so we should be able to continue on the PC from where we left off on the 360 at the end of the last stream.

I figure it will take around 2 more sessions to finish the single player, so if anyone wants to make a custom level for me to try on the stream, you have a couple of weeks to do it :) Also, if you have played the user-made levels, feel free to suggest some good ones.
Drakmon

Postby Drakmon » 18 Jun 2015, 12:26

Oh yeah portal 2 has custom map maker built in, i can't believe i forgot that. I used to love making maps... though i was never good at it :D
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Jun 2015, 17:31

Alright, I just want to warn Paul about the final screen smashing in Chamber 16. It's really difficult. If you find it too difficult, I say to drop a hard save at the entrance to the level so you can go back to it later if you want and not lose your cheevo progress.

To do it, you need to pick up a turret and bring it around to shoot the screen. That's easier said than done though.

The two main ways to do it are based on Luck or Skill.

Luck - Click to Expand
You can cover the turrets in the blue gel and then run around and grab one out of mid-air when they bounce. That's really difficult though, and you don't know which way they'll bounce. I do not recommend doing this, but just saying it's possible.
Precision Portal Skill - Click to Expand
You'll need some precision portalling. First, get yourself in the Excursion beam. Then, portal blue to the place over the turrets and orange on the wall the funnel's pointing at. However, make sure the orange portal is misaligned so the funnel doesn't go through the portal. You want it to stop on the wall. You should end up pinned to the wall with a portal half in front of you. Save here so you don't have to set this up again. (This misalignment and saving is not completely necessary to do, but it'll save a lot of time if you happen to fail the next part.) Then, align the portal so the funnel pushes you through. Get ready to drop immediately behind the turrets and grab one. When you get one, you can swing it around and knock the others off so they don't shoot you. Then, just casually walk back and shoot Wheatley for the cheevo.

Trippzen

Postby Trippzen » 26 Jun 2015, 09:19

I spotted Portal Stories: Mel on Steam and remembered Paul is looking for some user-created content for after he finishes the story mode for Portal 2. It seems like people like it based on the reviews so maybe that could be an option. It is 22 levels though so I think it'd be about as long as the story mode for Portal 2.
Trippzen or Scy
Battle.net: Scy#1617
WoW: Scy (US-Proudmoore)
Moussefilledkitten
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Moussefilledkitten » 26 Jun 2015, 13:39

I think Kotaku had Mel as being around 10 hrs?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 29 Jun 2015, 17:11

Here's the list of the LoadingReadyRun Community Portal levels: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=472067647

Paul will be playing more of these. If you want your fan-made level to go on the list, let me know and I'll add it before Paul plays again on Wednesday.

Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 30 Jun 2015, 20:18

Does the name "The Manhole" mean anything to anyone? (http://store.steampowered.com/app/63630/)

One of the goals of ToMS is to share some of my favorite games from years past that might be a little off the beaten path. Obviously that doesn't describe all the games (Portal 2 is hardly an obscure title :)) but introducing people to games they might not know is one of the reasons I enjoy streaming.

Developed by the Mist team before they made their genre defining hit, The Manhole was hugely influential for me, but it isn't a game in the strict sense, more of an interactive experience that allows you to click around a crazy Wonderland-esque fantasy world with no objective or consequences other then seeing what is around the next corner. I'm not sure how well it will work as a stream, but I was thinking that if there is any interest, I would start with it for my extended stream on Monday (after which I will probably be playing Portal Stories: Mel)
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 05 Jul 2015, 18:01

Since "Dedicated Q&A time" has a decent amount of votes in the "What should Paul do tomorrow" poll (http://strawpoll.me/4833207) I will probably spend some time doing that. I will be taking questions from the chat, but if you have a question that requires a little bit more thought and/or detail than the chat allows, feel free to post it in this thread.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 06 Jul 2015, 06:34

If you had a million dollars...

After you bought a imitation green dress, and a tree house with a little tiny fridge in there.

do you feel that you would retire and dick around?
role that money into making LRR or another work project?
throw that money into a charity and keep going as though nothing happened?
Some combination of these and or other options?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 06 Jul 2015, 09:45

If you could sit down and have a chat with 20 year-old Paul (and had already given him all the usual advice about Apple stock and lottery numbers), what would you talk about? What advice would you give him? What would you say to assuage some of his fears? What about Paul from 5 years ago? Paul from before the Kickstarter launched? Paul this time last year?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”