I, Horner

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
farleyf
First Video: Strip Search

Re: I, Horner

Postby farleyf » 26 Aug 2015, 01:24

I think that Disgaea would be a great fun game to play on stream - its got a good mix of strategy with humour. The game has exploding penguins (Prinnies) sarcastic demons and the ability to create an almost mini army. Depending on which version you play would depend on the extras included
F For Farley
F For Flavors
F For Fabulous
F For Fast
F For Food

Come Join Hodor Squad
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

HS Discord Channel
https://discord.gg/JYqvAkU
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Sep 2015, 19:09

I would like to submit that we have need to have more "Watch and Play: Girl's Night Out" as a stream, going by the reaction from tonight's stream. :-)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Gravity Pike
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Gravity Pike » 15 Sep 2015, 22:28

So... Shower With Your Dad Simulator is Frog Fractions 2, right?
farleyf
First Video: Strip Search

Postby farleyf » 16 Sep 2015, 00:47

AdmiralMemo wrote:I would like to submit that we have need to have more "Watch and Play: Girl's Night Out" as a stream, going by the reaction from tonight's stream. :-)

I would like to second that motion - tonights stream was really good
F For Farley
F For Flavors
F For Fabulous
F For Fast
F For Food

Come Join Hodor Squad
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

HS Discord Channel
https://discord.gg/JYqvAkU
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Sep 2015, 07:24

Gravity Pike wrote:So... Shower With Your Dad Simulator is Frog Fractions 2, right?
The Frog Fractions dev has particularly said it is not.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

GDwarf
First Video: Unskippable

Postby GDwarf » 17 Sep 2015, 20:57

farleyf wrote:I think that Disgaea would be a great fun game to play on stream - its got a good mix of strategy with humour. The game has exploding penguins (Prinnies) sarcastic demons and the ability to create an almost mini army. Depending on which version you play would depend on the extras included

The Disgaea titles are definitely the most in-depth turn-based tactics games out there. For that very reason I don't know how well they'd stream. They don't have much plot, generally, just lots and lots of battles where dozens of factors have to be considered, not to mention the hours and hours of grinding required.

I mean, I love the games, I've sunk far too much time into all of them, but I don't know that they'd be all that much fun to watch someone else play, y'know?
May those who accept their fate find happiness; Those who defy it, glory!
squaredotcube
First Video: Ways to Whiten your Teeth

Postby squaredotcube » 18 Sep 2015, 08:08

As much fun as it is watching Ian having to impersonate famous people and fumbling through missions that require some form of tactics, I still keep my vote on that the next game does not have turn-based mechanics nor require a somewhat sound strategy to progress. Variation keeps the stream fun to watch, you know?
GDwarf

Postby GDwarf » 18 Sep 2015, 16:42

Indeed, two tactics games in a row were fun, but it might be more enjoyable for some variation next.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 03 Nov 2015, 04:43

The Beginner's Guide made me motion sick but I watched the whole thing because it was so interesting. It reminded me a bit of Nabokov's Pale Fire. Obviously not to the same extent, but the feeling is there. Anyone else have thoughts?
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Havok4
First Video: The first Unskippable

Postby Havok4 » 16 Dec 2015, 14:34

Just wanted to submit a rhythm game for consideration for Rhythm Tuesdays. I have had a great deal of fun playing Crypt of the Necrodancer. It is basically a rogue-like dungeon exploration game that controls using rhythm game mechanics (and can be played using a dance pad). Additionally it has a local coop mode that I think would be a good fit for the steam.
Sektor88
First Video: I don't remember D:

Postby Sektor88 » 06 Jan 2016, 12:17

Another suggestion I'd like to add to the Rhythm Tuesday list would be Amplitude for PS4. It's $20 USD to download on PSN.

Also, depending on which editions of the game that can be secured, Taiko Drum Master or Taiko No Tatsujin. I know there's definitely PS2, DS, and Wii versions of the game, most likely all with different songs too.
Cobblepotter
First Video: The Job

Postby Cobblepotter » 20 Jan 2016, 13:55

I have another suggestion for Rhythm Tuesdays, though this one isn't a typical rhythm game.

It's called Ephemerid: A Musical Adventure. It's a little tricky to describe, but I guess I would call it a rock opera point & click adventure. I particularly love how artistic it is, and how the music is used to tell the story of the dragonfly. It's not a conventional rhythm game in the sense that there's no fail-states or songs to beat at a good enough rank to progress. You just have to see/play it to believe it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/335920/
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 02 Mar 2016, 03:55

If you're planning to continue with the Jet Set Radio, may I request changing the graffiti to something a little more... on-brand?

I have a suggestion for small and medium. I couldn't think of anything appropriate for "large", though.

There exists a tool out on the net to convert pictures to the format used in the JSR save files... I couldn't get it working, I think you need to actually own JSR for it to work properly, but it's out there.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Kronopticon
First Video: Phailhaus

Postby Kronopticon » 02 Mar 2016, 14:43

I felt like making a concept logo specifically for Rhythm Tuesday. It seemed to be lacking one, and I would like to see more :)

Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 08 Mar 2016, 21:10

I mentioned this in chat a few streams ago, but I thought I'd drop a link here, too. If you're between games, Ian, you might want to check out Nitronic Rush. It's the game where you basically drive race cars inside of Tron. It's short, and it's free.

You can see the trailer here and you can download the game here.

If you play it and like it, the devs went on to polish the concept and release a full game called Distance on Steam. You can see a trailer for that game here.

Anyway, seems like it might be your jam!
Mothra Fighter
First Video: Ways to Survive the Recession

Postby Mothra Fighter » 09 Mar 2016, 09:02

I second the Nitronic Rush recommendation and for anyone who enjoys racing games. The art style and soundtrack are fantastic. Plus, as Arclight_Dynamo says, it's free and short.

Not tried Distance yet. Is it any good Arclight?
Giuchie, giuchie, ya ya dada. - Abraham Lincoln, probably
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 09 Mar 2016, 09:55

Haven't been able to give it a go yet, I'm afraid - I'm having overheating problems with my graphics card, and I can't really play any 3D games at all right now. It's on my backlog for when I bother to crack my PC open and try to deal with it, though.
CaptainSpam
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby CaptainSpam » 20 Apr 2016, 09:12

Gotta say, I'm glad you played and enjoyed Roundabout. Also, since Roundabout was the first (and to date, sadly only) game I myself have streamed, I'm happy that the two of you started mimicking Georgio's stock "look over shoulder to back seat" pose, as I did the same thing when it came up in my session. :-)
GDwarf

Postby GDwarf » 27 Apr 2016, 17:06

Oh my goodness, Cross Country Canada. I played so much of that game in grade school, since it was one of the few games on the school computers. I remember that no one in the class had any idea how to play (nor did we have the manual that listed where the commodities were) so most of the game time was spent entering random text and seeing what happened.

Will next week's stream have Math Circus? Kid Pix? Gizmos and Gadgets?!
Texan_Reverend
First Video: Feed Dump

Postby Texan_Reverend » 13 Jun 2016, 20:05

So, there isn't a topic for TTSF yet. As such, I am posting the parts list for Kate's new gaming/streaming PC here. For anyone wanting recommendations, I do have a different default case preference. Kate wanted a white one, though.

PNY 1311 120gb SSD
(2) HGST Travelstar 1tb 7200rpm HDD
ASUS GTX970-DCMOC-4GD5 GTX 970 mini Video Card
Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini-ITX Motherboard
EVGA 650 GQ Power Supply
Xigmatek Nebula C White Case
Xeon E3-1230 V3 CPU
Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 RAM
Logitech C920 Webcam
Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 (Ivory) Keyboard
TeckNet M002 Purple Mouse
XBox One controller
Eneloop AA Batteries w/ charger
DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable

My preferred case is the Antec P50. It's only 3" longer than the Xigmatek Kate used, but it holds more drives and is easier to build in.
r4v5
First Video: One of the early Checkpoints?

Postby r4v5 » 13 Jun 2016, 20:17

Texan_Reverend wrote:So, there isn't a topic for TTSF yet. As such, I am posting the parts list for Kate's new gaming/streaming PC here. For anyone wanting recommendations, I do have a different default case preference. Kate wanted a white one, though.

PNY 1311 120gb SSD
(2) HGST Travelstar 1tb 7200rpm HDD
ASUS GTX970-DCMOC-4GD5 GTX 970 mini Video Card
Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini-ITX Motherboard
EVGA 650 GQ Power Supply
Xigmatek Nebula C White Case
Xeon E3-1230 V3 CPU
Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 RAM
Logitech C920 Webcam
Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 (Ivory) Keyboard
TeckNet M002 Purple Mouse
XBox One controller
Eneloop AA Batteries w/ charger
DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable

My preferred case is the Antec P50. It's only 3" longer than the Xigmatek Kate used, but it holds more drives and is easier to build in.

For people who want a PCPartsPicker link:
(Edited with Texan_Reverend's correction)
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/jjHQ7h
It should have everything but the webcam, mouse, controller, and cable. But weirdly, it complains that the case needs one more 2.5" bay. Psh, who needs bays when you have Horner Power?
Last edited by r4v5 on 14 Jun 2016, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Texan_Reverend

Postby Texan_Reverend » 13 Jun 2016, 22:26

One correction to that PCPartPicker list, the SSD is actually this one:
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/RzfmP6/ ... s1311120rb

Now to answer a couple questions.
The Xeon CPU was chosen due to being equivalent to an i7 without on-chip graphics for the price of an i5. The Hyperthreading of the i7 class chips is beneficial in some games already, such as GTA V, and it makes quite a difference when factoring in simultaneously streaming and recording the stream locally on top of running the game.

As for drives: the SSD is for Windows and applications.
HDD 1 is where any local files will be stored and all the games will be installed. (Where Overwatch and a few others are already installed.)
HDD 2 is where streams will be recorded to as she is streaming. It is important to have OBS writing to a different drive than the ones you are reading from to run the OS and the games.

If there are any other questions, I'll try to remember to check back here periodically.
Texan_Reverend

Postby Texan_Reverend » 13 Jun 2016, 22:49

I also got a question about the mouse. It was one of a few purple mice that Kate was ok with. However, the TeckNet M002 has back and forward buttons which can be natively mapped in games as mouse4 and mouse5 for interacting with items, reloading, using special abilities, etc. without any brand-specific software. Plus, they are recognized by windows for back/forward use in browsers, Windows Explorer and Picture Viewer, and by VLC for skipping around in a video. Finally, there is a DPI-switch button on top for adjusting mouse sensitivity on the fly without any software. The adjustments are made in the mouse itself.
Necabo
First Video: an lrr vid on the escapist spring 2011

Postby Necabo » 13 Jun 2016, 23:20

Damn this makes me wish I had some more money and time to spare to upgrade my own PC again :o
ImageImage

Texan_Reverend

Postby Texan_Reverend » 14 Jun 2016, 02:08

This is somewhat in response to Necabo, but largely it turned into my rambling digressions.

Depending on your current setup, there are some impactful upgrades you can do without costing a bunch. One of the single biggest differences you can make to the speed and responsiveness of a computer is to use a solid state drive for your operating system and regularly used programs. The 120gb model featured in Kate's computer was only $40 USD. 120gb is enough room for Windows, a reasonable suite of common programs, and some frequently played games. (Tip: Steam will let you set up multiple game install locations. You can then choose during each game installation which folder or drive to put it in.)

Speaking in terms of non-performance related parts, having a keyboard and mouse that you really enjoy and find comfortable can make a huge difference in your day-to-day experience with your computer. These are the tools by which you extract all of the work and knowledge and fun from your rig. If they annoy you to use, then you will be annoyed at your computer every time you interact with it. And they don't have to be the fanciest, "gaming grade" hardware. Kate's new mouse was $10 USD on Amazon. The keyboard: $20. There are more expensive devices with lots of features and macro settings and so on. I love my Logitech G700 enough to have one each for my PC, laptop, and work computer. However, that's not going to work for everyone. Kate's TeckNet has the advantage of being software independent. It can adjust sensitivity on the mouse and use its extra buttons in games without installing anything else. That's better for Kate's usage. Despite all the ratings, reviews, and suggestions, mice and keyboards are incredibly personal and subjective choices. So, finding what really _fits_ you can go a lot farther towards making your PC experience notably more pleasurable than finding the "best" device.

An aside on graphics cards: the venerable GTX 750ti finally has a replacement. The GTX 950 low-power variants have recently released, and they offer improved gaming performance, similar price point, and the same motherboard-powered, power cord-free design that many systems need. They're also great for budget oriented and/or wattage conscious builds. I'm using one in a PC build for a friend that will be about $350 USD and utilize less than 200 watts at full load. It's not a powerhouse of a computer, but it will play the current crop of games at 1080p on medium to high settings or better. That's a better buy for his family than a console, because it will be similarly sized, still connect to their TV, allow full non-gaming computer usage, and give them access to hugely price-competitive marketplaces like Steam, Good Old Games, and Humble Bundles.

This got long, but hopefully these meandering thoughts are useful to someone.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”