Heather's Handhelds

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Re: Heather's Handhelds

Postby MowDownJoe » 13 Mar 2015, 12:55

OkamiDen... ;_;

I played that game at a bad time in my life. Not a game you play when you're dog recently died.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
robothitchhiker
First Video: Desert Bus for Hope 7

Postby robothitchhiker » 19 May 2015, 22:04

I didn't catch today's stream until the VOD, but I wanted to mention, in regards to the Twitters, that I did enjoy goofy Heather (esp the voices), as well as guest goofy Heather on I, Horner Coriander tonight. That combo would be fun to see more of, as scheduling allows. Also goofyHeather+Kathleen seemed to be doing just fine by the end of the stream. Moar!
LunarJade
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby LunarJade » 26 May 2015, 15:02

So we finished The Legendary Starfy this past Sunday with a bonus 6 hour stream.

Now we're playing Fire Emblem: Awakening. Casual/Normal mode for those interested. Tutorials on due to it being my first time playing any kind of FE game ever. And for those who watch live I'm leaving matchmaking up to the chat. Chat can lead those ships however they'd like.
RN7
First Video: The Gay Chicken

Postby RN7 » 01 Jun 2015, 21:56

Preface for Heather: Chrom needs to be married off ASAP because you only have until the end of Chapter 11 to get his stats and his wife's stats leveled before his child appears. The other characters don't have a huge time constraint; that time constraint is based on how much of the game you want to play.

Alright, I figure that if Heather wishes to make good on her statements to the chat and if something like 100-200 people want to make a series of decisions in a democratic fashion, some logistics need to be worked out. For those who don't know, Heather stated she's letting the chat determine her support pairings for marriage, and there are MANY options. Marriage options can be fairly complex because they're a chain of decisions. If two characters get married off, they're married for good, and their child's fate is basically set in stone. I am writing this post to 1.) provide a general background of how the system works so the chat members who choose to make their decisions can make informed decisions and 2.) propose potential avenues by which we can determine the fate of Heather's motley band of heroes.

A word of warning! There will be spoilers ahead! If you want to be 100% spoiler-free be wary! There will be no major plot spoilers, but character names and the Child mechanic will be revealed!

First off, I direct you all to this page of Sernes Forest outlining every character that can be used in some way with Marriage (under the Initial column), and the "children"characters(under the children column)-
http://old.serenesforest.net/fe13/character.html

Use the link above to familiarize yourself with the potential characters. If a name I discuss later is unfamiliar to you, refer back to that link.

So, down to the meat and potatoes and this ordeal. The Marriage system in Fire Emblem Awakening is a development off a system that was present in the older Fire Emblem titles, but to my knowledge is the most recent fire emblem game to use the system, and the only one released officially in North America to use said system. The marriage system is an extension of the Support system in which two characters that fight alongside one another build up a friendship, their bonds strengthen, and their ability to fight together increases. This manifests itself as increased stat bonuses when using the Pair Up mechanic, and increased likelihood of Dual Attacks and Dual Guards in Pair Up mode. Marriage can most simply be defined as getting an S-rank support between two characters. Only one S-rank support can ever be formed between two characters- the husband and wife. Because of this,Pairing the husband and wife together will turn them into relentless killing machines (Unless the wife is a cleric or troubadour for some reason.)

Now, why is this important you might ask? Is this just a weird flavorful thing those silly devs did to appeal to a new playerbase? I say nay! Marriage is an incredibly important event in Awakening because a married couple will produce a Child!. Without spoiling too much of the story for those interested, there's a mechanic in game in which after a marriage is completed, provided the first half of the game has been beaten, a new side mission will appear that allows the player to find and recruit an version of the married couple's child. This is important because the child characters are, typically, much stronger than their parents. I won't bore you with the mathematics, but essentially the child gains stat bonuses from both their mother and their father, meaning that a particularly strong couple will produce an even stronger child. In addition to this, the child can inherit skills from their parents' class, including skills they could never normally access. For example, Galeforce is a skill that only females can learn, because only females can Class Change to the Dark Flier class and gain that skill after achieving enough levels. If, however, a male child's mother learned Galeforce in her time as a Dark Flier, she can pass that skill onto her son!

In short, management of supports, marriages and children are a cornerstone of this edition of the Fire Emblem series. Mismanaging marriages won't cause you to lose the game as it would in some older titles, but still, we may as well let Heather get the most bang for her gameplay. Heather's given the chat a great deal of power and influence on her game, more so than perhaps she imagined. If you're still around, good on you. Follow me down further where we go over the nitty-gritty details of who can be married off to who, where children come from, and how the chat can make marriage happen. Get set to play matchmaker. 8)

An important thing to note about marriage in this game is that marriage only exists to produce a Child character. This is the reason why one of the protagonists, Chrom, is forcibly married off at the end of Chapter 10 to one of the 5 marriage candidates that he has the best relationship score (Support level) with. If he doesn't have a relationship with any of the eligbile girls, he marries a village girl and Lucina, his canonical daughter and another major character, is born and appears in the storyline.

As seen the list at the start of this post, there are 13 potential children. All of them should appear in Heather's game because Heather's units can't die on Casual mode, meaning that there's time to form a support between all the possible pairs. The following bit is key: With the exception of Chrom or a Male Avatar, the mother always determines who the child is. A good way to think about the marriage system in a tactical manner is to think "What father can I pair with what mother to produce the child I want?" With that said, the following list will show what females (and Chrom) produce what child, and we can then discuss how the marriage pairing will work going forward:

Chrom yields Lucina
Lissa yields Owain
Olivia yields Inigo
Maribelle yields Brady
Cordelia yields Severa
Cherche yields Gerome
Female Avatar (Hodor) yields Male Morgan
Panne yields Yarne
Miriel Yields Laurent
Sumia Yields Cynthia
Tharja yields Noire
Nowi Yields Nah

Some characters have limited marriage options. For example, Chrom can only marry Sumia, Olivia, Sully, Maribelle, Female Avatar or Village Girl.

The way I see it, we have two options. One, we stagger the pairing options and vote then and there with the units Heather has available. This could result in limited choices in the later parts of the game, which I feel would be disingenuous to force people to make a decision based upon needless limitation.The second option is that we go down in the order of the list provided and methodically pair off the characters via strawpolls, with each strawpoll having limited options. We should start with Chrom because his marriage will probably happen first and remove a female from the marriage pool (I don't think Heather can do village girl because her Chrom probably has support with an eligible female.). After we do Chrom, we can then randomly determine the marriages of the other girls and guys. We shouldn't run out of potential males for a given female, and will probably have a 1 or 2 guys left over.

A sample of how the voting proper could work is as follows: Heather posts a strawpoll in chat before her stream and during her stream to set up the canonical pairings as far as Heather's Handhelds are concerned. That pairing becomes canon, and we do it again, removing the newly married man from the list. Here's an example of what I mean:

First, we vote here: "http://strawpoll.me/4518632"- Let's say that Hodor wins. Hodor and Chrom are officially wife and husband and are removed from the pool. They become Morgan's and Lucina's parents.

Then we do this: "http://strawpoll.me/4518658"- The chat decides that Cordelia and Libra get paired together. They're both removed from the pool. The next randomly assigned poll would remove Libra from it, so on and so forth until the chat decides on every marriage. In addition the children generation can get married in the same fashion that their parents can (there's no option for homosexuality or incest in either case. As such, a male Morgan can't marry Lucina if she's his sister, Chrom can never marry Lissa, etc.)

I'm not going into the details of what makes a good marriage primarily because it's not that relevant for Heather's first playthrough; essentially I encourage you, the reader, to do whatever research you want before you make the decision. Hell, which name sounds coolest could be a major factor. If anyone wants to start a discussion pulling for a specific pair feel free. Once again, thanks for reading, and everything is fine.
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 02 Jun 2015, 10:47

So much helpful info! I really appreciate the help and the time that went into writing the above post.

We will be starting with a poll for Chrom cause he's time sensitive. More polls will come later.

For now here's Chrom's: Poll closed Chrom is marrying Hodor
Last edited by LunarJade on 08 Jun 2015, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
Random_Robin
First Video: Eternal Sonata

Postby Random_Robin » 03 Jun 2015, 03:26

Sumia has fewer options for marriage than the other women. If you want to get as many marriages as you can maybe Sumia should be next.
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 08 Jun 2015, 11:47

I meant to do this a little earlier. I've made a simple google doc that I'll be updating as we go (within a few hours of finishing a stream) that will help keep people assessed of the character marriages: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

And our next strawpoll which is for Sumia is here: poll closed. Sumia is marrying Gaius

Thank you Random_Robin for letting me know her marriage pool was small.
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 15 Jun 2015, 20:58

Next strawpoll is ready! Who is marrying Lissa, vote here: poll closed. Lissa is marrying Lon'qu

At Compleatly's suggestion I'm going to start running polls so that there is a new one either at the start or before the next stream which I'll call to a close by the end of that stream. Then a new poll will start at the end or later that same day. Just so we can get through some of these decisions faster.

I'll try to post all the polls in this forum but will also continue to post about them on my twitter: @LunarJade
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 16 Jun 2015, 15:09

New strawpoll for who we marry Fredrick to in Fire Emblem Awakening up here:

poll closed/cancelled. changing plans, read down further in posts for more details.
Last edited by LunarJade on 17 Jun 2015, 13:12, edited 2 times in total.
RN7

Postby RN7 » 16 Jun 2015, 19:59

LunarJade wrote:New strawpoll for who we marry Fredrick to in Fire Emblem Awakening up here: http://strawpoll.me/4652728/

Plan to close this one on Thursday at 5pm PT.

Heather, would it not be better to utilize only females for the strawpoll? None of the males you have other than Chrom "need" to get married- this need comes from the fact that offspring characters will be introduced shortly. The offsprings are tied to the mother at all times, with the father providing additional bonuses to their stats. For example, if a female were to die prior to the unlocking of her child's paralogue, then you can no longer access that character. The same can't be said for a male such as Frederick.

I'd argue that since the whole premise is to give the chat control of your characters' fates, having the greatest amount of options is the fairest and most entertaining route. By selecting frederick and choosing a wife for him, we eliminate the option of ever having Frederick remain unmarried (this option is only available to males, which is to say, you'll have males left over by the time you marriages are done).

Thanks for taking our opinions into consideration, but please don't feel pressured. At the end of the day this is YOUR game and YOUR stream.
MadWaltz
First Video: Bed Buggery (I think)

Postby MadWaltz » 17 Jun 2015, 06:32

While doing the polls by going down the list of females probably would make the most sense, it shouldn't make too much of a difference either way. Given that Hodor is being paired with Chrom (there are some characters that can only marry the avatar), I count 13 marriageable males and 12 marriageable females. If all the ladies are being paired, that only leaves 1 very sad male remaining unpaired. Having polls by male would work perfectly fine if there's an option for "unpaired" (which would then be removed from later polls once someone fills it).

That said, the current poll is a little unfortunate, as IMO, Frederick is one of the best options for leaving unpaired. Frederick is the opposite of Donnel -- very powerful in the early game due to being high level (being already promoted), but his starting stats are actually quite low for a level 1 promoted unit. The further you get in the game, the less useful he gets -- ie, you probably aren't really going to want to bring him to chapters. And if you don't bring him to chapters, he won't have a chance to find love. Of course, if you want to pair him because you like the character and want to see his support conversations, then everything I just said is a fairly moot point and do whatever you want.

But SOMEONE is going to have to be left hanging.
Moussefilledkitten
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Moussefilledkitten » 17 Jun 2015, 07:23

I second the reasoning that it should be females polled rather than males, due to the logistics of one male having to remain unpaired.
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 17 Jun 2015, 13:06

Thanks to those who've posted here and have contacted me via other avenues. I was unaware that all the girls end up married and not all the guys. Although that may have been pointed out to me at some point and I'd forgotten.

I appreciate the feedback. And as it is my game and I can run it how I like I have decided to fix this by cancelling Fredericks poll and starting a new one for Sully which can be found here: Poll closed. Sully will marry Stahl.

This poll will close Friday at 6pm PT. And a new one will start after that. And again the google spreadsheet for everything is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WDCzDxqDmrJWcyWylsbGpPxOoKmJzVqVS0sBv-WS2KU/edit?usp=sharing

I hope this works well enough for everyone. And again thank you for your feedback.

^_^
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 19 Jun 2015, 17:59

Our next Fire Emblem poll is who should Miriel marry? Poll here: poll closed. Miriel is marrying Gregor.

Closing this poll Mon June 22 6pm PT. So when Beej's stream starts.
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 22 Jun 2015, 18:53

Next Fire Emblem poll is who should Maribelle marry? Poll here: poll closed. Maribelle will marry Ricken.

This poll is set to end at 2:30pm PT on Tuesday. That's a half hour before Heather's Handhelds ends.
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 23 Jun 2015, 15:07

Next Fire Emblem poll is who should Panne marry? Poll here: Poll closed. Panne will marry Libra.

This poll is set to end at 6pm PT on Thursday.
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 25 Jun 2015, 17:08

Next Fire Emblem poll is who should Cordelia marry? Poll here: poll closed. Cordelia is marrying Kellam.

This poll is set to end at 5pm PT on Monday.
Last edited by LunarJade on 29 Jun 2015, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
MadWaltz
First Video: Bed Buggery (I think)

Postby MadWaltz » 28 Jun 2015, 11:03

As the last stream ended with Heather quite close to being able to recruit children characters, I thought I might explain a bit more about how that works. Recruiting children characters isn't at all necessary to beat the game, but it's fun, as you can end up with some pretty crazy super-soldiers by the end of the game. I'm not going to go into the strategy of how to do that, but there are a few things that are useful to know.

1. For each parent, the child will inherit the last skill that parent has equipped. If you don't mess with it, this means they will inherit the most recent skill each parent acquired. If you want the kid to get an older skill, you can change the order of the parents' skills by going to "Equip Skills" in the world map -- just reorder it so that the skill you want is at the bottom of the list (unequipping the skill and re-equipping it should do it).

Chrom's kids are exceptions. Chrom's daughters always inherit Aether from him, while his sons always inherit Rightful King (Even if Chrom hasn't learned either skill -- which he probably won't have). So, you don't have to worry about reordering Chrom's skills. Chrom's kids still inherit the last skill from their mother (in this case Hodor) like normal.

2. Most of the children characters are recruited in sidequest chapters (Paralogues). The Paralogue will appear on the map after a certain point in the game and the parents are married. However, while it will show up on the map, you might not be able to reach it until you get far enough in the main story. Also, the difficulty varies, but many of the children Paralogues are really difficult if you attempt them as soon as you can reach them. I recommend checking them out, but don't be afraid to hit the "Exit" button at the start of the map if it looks impossible. You can always come back to it.

Lucina is an exception. She is recruited in the main story. In fact, as you are close to recruiting her, you may want to go ahead and reorder Hodor's skills if you have a preference for which one she should inherit.

3. The children characters starting stats get a boost depending on their parents' current stats at the moment you enter the Paralogue. In other words, the higher the level of the parents, the higher the starting stats of their child. As a very rough guideline, for every ~6 levels a parent has attained, each of the child's stats will go up by +1. For stats the parent is strong in (Or HP, a generally higher stat for everyone), it'll be more than that. For stats they are weak in (Or for generally lower stats for everyone, like Def/Res), it'll be less than that. Also note that I'm treating each parent separately here -- if both parents gain 6 levels, each of the child's stats should go up by about +2.

So, if you wait to complete the Paralogue, the child's stats will be higher, and they can potentially inherit better skills from their parents. On the other hand, they'll be a lower level compared to your other units, and you'll get them later. Also, it's worth noting that if you use the "Exit" button at the start of the map, the child's stats/skills will be recalculated the next time you enter the Paralogue based on their parents' new stats/skills. So don't worry about that if you want to check out what the map looks like.
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 29 Jun 2015, 16:09

Thanks for the info MadWaltz! I'll try to keep some of that in mind. Knowing how the kids get recruited is extremely useful and I was starting to wonder how that all worked.

Our next Fire Emblem poll is Who should Nowi marry? Poll here: Poll closed. Nowi will marry Donnel.

This one is set to end Tuesday at 2:30pm PT. That's half an hour before Heather's Handhelds ends.
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 30 Jun 2015, 15:06

New Fire Emblem poll! Who should Tharja marry? Poll here: Poll closed. Tharja is marrying Virion

This poll is set to end Wednesday 2:30pm PT.
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 02 Jul 2015, 11:37

So next on our list is Anna but looks like her only marriage option is the Male Avatar character. So she will not be married in this game.

That puts our next Fire Emblem poll as Who should Olivia marry? Poll here: Poll closed. Olivia is marrying Henry!

This poll will close Monday at 5pm PT.
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 06 Jul 2015, 17:43

Look at that we're on the last poll for marrying all the non children characters. As I understand it the children can get married to but let's not worry about that just yet.

Who should Cherche marry? Poll here: Poll closed. Cherche will be marrying Vaike.

This poll will close Tuesday at 2:30pm PT.
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 07 Jul 2015, 15:53

All the marriages can be found on this google spreadsheet for what we've done in game, along with the kids we've acquired. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WDCzDxqDmrJWcyWylsbGpPxOoKmJzVqVS0sBv-WS2KU/edit?usp=sharing

We can continue to do polls for the marriages of the kids, though as I'd like to avoid spoilers I don't want to look up the kids names myself. Is there someone else who'd be interested in making up those polls for me?
RN7

Postby RN7 » 07 Jul 2015, 23:00

LunarJade wrote:All the marriages can be found on this google spreadsheet for what we've done in game, along with the kids we've acquired. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WDCzDxqDmrJWcyWylsbGpPxOoKmJzVqVS0sBv-WS2KU/edit?usp=sharing

We can continue to do polls for the marriages of the kids, though as I'd like to avoid spoilers I don't want to look up the kids names myself. Is there someone else who'd be interested in making up those polls for me?

It's done: http://strawpoll.me/4860687

I decided to start with Lucina mainly because you already have Lucina, but she's also got the most peculiar marriage options when compared to the other female children. Since your Morgan is a male, you'll have one male left over who can't get married. Lucina's supports are peculiar because she A.) can't marry her brother (Morgan in this case) and B.) Can form a "marriage" with one of the male characters who is her cousin. I'll let you find out who that cousin is during your playthrough. In game, if Lucina "marries" her cousin, it refers to them as "partners" and is implicit about what that may or may not entail.
RN7

Postby RN7 » 10 Jul 2015, 16:27

The bot timer shows that Inigo won the poll with Lucina. Lucina marries Inigo. I'll make the second poll for now for Kjelle.

http://strawpoll.me/4887786

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”