Crossing the Streams

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Dared00
First Video: The Phone Manner

Re: Crossing the Streams

Postby Dared00 » 29 Apr 2015, 12:07

I would love to see some of Jackbox Party Pack games. YDKJ, Fibbage or Drawful would work perfectly for the show.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 09 May 2015, 14:56

Can I just say that I'd love to see James and Adam play more games like Towerfall together? That was a ton of fun.
DeathByCat0618
First Video: LoadingReadyRumble2

Postby DeathByCat0618 » 28 May 2015, 04:32

Love Crossing the Streams! Will you ever finish that Vech's Super Hostile map?
Remember, even if you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 29 Jun 2015, 03:52

For what it's worth, it is actually possible to play split-screen multiplayer in the Steam version of Portal 2... I totally played it that way for my first run through the game. However, it has... problems, and I wouldn't recommend it for the stream.
Gory details - Click to Expand
I don't remember the exact details, but it involves: first, you need to have a controller that the OS recognises as the "second" controller. Which means even if you're playing with one player on mouse/keyboard and the other on controller, you still need to have two controllers plugged in. Or have one pseudo controller from a tool like ppjoy in slot 1, and a real controller in slot 2. Then you need to manually load keybindings for the second controller via the console, as there's no defaults and no UI to set it up (you can find online templates for common controllers like 360 and PS3 controllers that you can use as-is or tweak). Then you run the console command for "warp to this level", specifying either the tutorial level ("choose your favourite animal" etc) or the hub world, with a special flag that puts it in splitscreen mode.

The pros: it works, for a given value of working, so you can actually play the game.

The cons: The game tries to automatically switch between joystick and keyboard prompts depending on what you used last... so if you touch the keyboard/mouse, it'll prompt "press space to jump", but then if you touch your controller it'll switch to "press A to jump". It also switches the colours in the reticle - with a mouse, traditionally LMB is primary fire (ie blue portals) and RMB is secondary fire (ie orange portals), while on a controller traditionally RT is primary fire, while LT is secondary. So when you're using mouse/keyboard, the reticle has blue on the left, but when you're using a controller, it has blue on the right. Which is all very clever, and works well in single player. In splitscreen, though, it doesn't track this separately for each player... so whenever the keyboard player does anything, both players' screens will switch to KB/M mode, but when the controller player does anything they will switch back. When both players are doing things (ie: most of the time), your reticles and prompts will flicker back and forth between the two.

Also: there are some bugs with how the interaction menus work... when you bring up the gesture or ping menus, the way it works is it disables your movement, and pops up the menu, then you use your sticks (or wasd/mouse) to choose a selection, then let go of the button, the menu goes away, and it reenables your movement, so your sticks/WASD/mouse go back to controlling your character. In splitscreen this often breaks, so that you press the button, it disables your controls, then when you let go, it reenables the player 1's controls, so if you're actually player 2, this leavs you sitting there unable to move. You then need to go into and out of the gesture menu a bunch and jiggle the sticks around, and eventually you unlock it after a minute or so... usually. And usually one stick at a time... so like after a little bit I'll be able to move but not aim, or vice versa... then after a bit longer they both work again. I had it happen only once throughout the whole coop campaign that we had to actually quit the game and reload to get it to work again. So... not ideal for streaming.

Maybe might could possibly be worth looking into if there are any good user-made coop campaigns out there that you want to stream... but for the real thing, definitely better off just playing it on console. Far more reliable.

[edit] Also, watching the second coop stream, it looks like Ian's progress was saved from the first game, but Beej's wasn't... you can see when they're going into the chamber, that the progress bar has a lot of orange lights but no blue lights, and Ian has access to all the emotes unlocked so far like high-fives and janken and the like, and Beej doesn't.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Cheeseless
First Video: Friday Nights - The Fall

Postby Cheeseless » 01 Jul 2015, 16:27

I'd also like to know if the trio will try to finish a Super Hostile map.
DiamondTiki
First Video: One of the Unskippable's

Postby DiamondTiki » 18 Jul 2015, 10:36

I don't know if it has been suggested before, but a big Crossing the Streams Mortal Kombat X tournament would be sweet!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Jul 2015, 12:24

I'm still waiting for a Crossing the Streams with a bit of Starwhal, since I gave it to LRR back in May of 2014.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 18 Jul 2015, 13:24

If you're taking/looking for suggestions for CtD, then I should mention that Double Dragon Neon has 2 player local Co-Op.
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 06 Sep 2015, 04:56

Today's CAH stream was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 06 Sep 2015, 07:53

I think that was the first time I actually found CAH palatable and not just 'LOL OFFENSIVE LOL'.
PMAvers
First Video: DB4

Postby PMAvers » 07 Sep 2015, 09:16

I do think something like Funemployed! might work a bit better for comedy's sake, since it'd let them flex their improv muscles and not worry about jokes scanning correctly.
mtvcdm
First Video: Pokeproblem

Postby mtvcdm » 18 Sep 2015, 23:07

I've just come across a game called Regular Human Basketball.

It is precisely that. Just regular humans playing regular basketball, which is appropriate for this circumstance, as only regular humans are allowed to play this particular game of basketball intended for regular humans. Humans that wish to play regular basketball. As there are regular humans in the Moonbase, they would be qualified for this type of basketball.

Everything is fine.
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 22 Sep 2015, 08:48

Since they mentioned the possibility of hooking up a SNES to the Streaming Office, I though I would link Paul to this website that details how to get RGB out of most Retro consoles: http://retrorgb.com/

I haven't done this myself, but I understand you just need a SCART cable for the SNES, then convert SCART to Component or HDMI.
vgmaster831
First Video: Imagine If You Will

Postby vgmaster831 » 03 Oct 2015, 18:15

I think a set of AFK streams where you guys play Risk Legacy would be amazing. The game has persistent elements and has a certain role-playing aspects, but the game is much quicker than most RPGs. It takes about 30 minutes to an hour to play a round (no really).

I also think you guys should play the Microscope RPG. It is an improv heavy storytelling game where you create a history collectively. It's really fun and you can end up with some really cool stuff. I've seen games creating a standard fantasy history to an alternate version of the US with animist spirits and robots (The President Machine was invented at one point) to really wacky stories of a small pastoral town through the ages. I think it would fit your improv skills really well.
Necabo
First Video: an lrr vid on the escapist spring 2011

Postby Necabo » 04 Oct 2015, 07:41

vgmaster831 wrote:I think a set of AFK streams where you guys play Risk Legacy would be amazing. The game has persistent elements and has a certain role-playing aspects, but the game is much quicker than most RPGs. It takes about 30 minutes to an hour to play a round (no really).

Trust me, I have played Risk legacy with a few friends before. The first round was over in less than 45 minutes (yay). The second round we started at 11 pm, thinking it wouldn't take very long, but ended at 4 am; So it can still adhere to the risk paradigm of taking ages.
ImageImage

Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 04 Oct 2015, 17:02

The Hero's quest stream was incredible, I cant remember last time I laughed so hard, I was nearly crying at parts. I really hope we hit the next Patreon tier soon, I would love to see more Hero's Quest in particular, Id never heard of this game before and it looks sweet.
The Martini
First Video: Installing Linux

Postby The Martini » 05 Oct 2015, 06:28

Just as an FYI: the first Hero Quest scenario is much longer and much harder than the next few. It's usually better to skip it and start on quest 2, which starts the actual storyline.
Gin. Vermouth. Olives.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 05 Oct 2015, 07:26

The Martini wrote:Just as an FYI: the first Hero Quest scenario is much longer and much harder than the next few. It's usually better to skip it and start on quest 2, which starts the actual storyline.

Ya, after the stream I did a little research and it turns out The Trial was added into the North American version of the game to basically scare the players into having to work together. Apparently most groups lose a couple of characters, if not having a tpk. I question the wisdom of, not only discouraging players by killing them so quickly, but also using all the coolest monsters (Like chaos warriors and the Gargoyle) in the first level, but there it is.

I guess we showed you the "authentic" HeroQuest experience :P
The Martini
First Video: Installing Linux

Postby The Martini » 05 Oct 2015, 09:05

Paul wrote:I guess we showed you the "authentic" HeroQuest experience :P

It was authentically awesome! Our played-by-12-year-olds barbarian was "Chesty McMantits", so Stab Manthrust is pretty accurate (if much more sophisticated).

Graham wins for best name.
Alex wins for best voice acting.
Beej wins for best troll.
Cam wins for best being disappointed in your 'friends'.
Paul just wins, because killing the player characters is the goal, right?
Gin. Vermouth. Olives.
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 05 Oct 2015, 10:18

Reminds me of the time we played Rogue Trader using the example game in the book... tpk.
PMAvers
First Video: DB4

Postby PMAvers » 08 Oct 2015, 16:49

It does give me a bit more appreciation for Descent 2e, though. Since it's not just about the TPK, each scenario has a... well, scenario and objective for the players to work for.

Like, say, one of the early missions has a goblin raiding band attacking a farm. The goblins are trying to grab bags of grain and get away with them, while the players are trying to stop them. The more grain they get away with, the more health a boss in the next mission has.
GDwarf
First Video: Unskippable

Postby GDwarf » 10 Oct 2015, 17:06

So, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes seems like it might make for a decent crossing the streams game. It's a "bomb defusing simulator" with a twist: There are two players, only one of them can see the bomb, and only the other can see the defusing instructions, so the two have to talk to each other to describe what they're seeing and what the next steps should be. Oh, and there's a time limit.

The only real issue with it is that it's two-player only, though you could have people take turns or the like.
May those who accept their fate find happiness; Those who defy it, glory!
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 10 Oct 2015, 17:09

That other one they played on a cHustle episode might be a nice live action one, Spaceteam.

Or Artemis, the "Star Trek Bridge" simulator.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Oct 2015, 17:53

GDwarf wrote:The only real issue with it is that it's two-player only, though you could have people take turns or the like.

Watching HPBraincase stream it, once you get to the harder bombs it definitely helps to have multiple people reading the manual.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 11 Oct 2015, 21:47

Where'd you get that it's two-player only? Everything I've seen have had at least three (including the player).

Though I feel like Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes would be kind of hard to stream well. Do they stream from the podcast area, with the 'player' using the screen while the experts are facing the camera? Or are they in different areas of the moonbase? Or different buildings, using Skype or something to coordinate?

It seems fun. I'm just not sure how it'd work Logistically for the crew.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”