AFK

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Chilli
First Video: Friday Night: The hero's path

Re: AFK

Postby Chilli » 18 Dec 2016, 18:02

Oh sweet, thanks dood. I did not know that was an option...the only downside of that is that I am unable to backseat art with the guys.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Dec 2016, 18:29

Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Chilli

Postby Chilli » 18 Dec 2016, 18:31

Also follow up question, is there a chance to send you guys more anime themed board games?
PMAvers
First Video: DB4

Postby PMAvers » 18 Dec 2016, 21:28

*grins at the latest Mail Time*

This isn't even my final form. Totally another volley coming in the next week or so, but Amazon totally split things into multiple shipments.

There's one I *really* want to get there, but I'm waiting on a reprint so hopefully it won't be $300 on amazon.ca. My other options usually involve $50 shipping, which... would be nice if it was lower.
Chilli

Postby Chilli » 19 Dec 2016, 02:53

Okay, I am back from watching the Mangaka stream, it was all worth it, especially to hear Beej say "Senpai's butt chunks".

I really hope this gets a sequel, hopefully with different members so we can see who reigns as the supreme mangaka.
PMAvers

Postby PMAvers » 31 Dec 2016, 18:08

So just as a warning, in case any LRRsmen see it:

Mission 2 of Mechs vs. Minions will probably require more table space, since it uses four of the map tiles in a Tetris-shaped t-block shape. (I think they all use four from here on out.) I think someone said once that table expands? Might be handy to look into ahead of time.
TheMagicWalrus
First Video: The Couch

Postby TheMagicWalrus » 07 Jan 2017, 21:09

You guys should play red dragon inn sometime
Lysander
First Video: Daily Drop: Eggs

Postby Lysander » 13 Jan 2017, 22:19

The Crokinole stream was very fun. I didn't like seeing their fingers getting abused though. Digging around on the internets, I saw there are "official" crokinole cues. Not sure how that would look on stream. Could be kind of awkward trying to fit it into the studio.

What are your thoughts on crokinole finger-guards? The official rules say finger-guards aren't allowed, but house-rules beat tournament rules any day.

I'm thinking of using gloves as the base, but I'm not sure if they would fit everyone. There's stretchy knit gloves, but those wear out kind of quick. Maybe a set of designer thimbles. Though lamellar jointed armor for the entire fingers sounds fun. I know I'm going to have to make the outer material soft so it won't scratch the board. Chamois leather or suede most likely. This is going to need further thought before I commit.
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 14 Jan 2017, 10:11

I have to admit I was rather lukewarm on the Crokinole stream, don't get me wrong the LRR crew was a pleasure to watch as always, but after the initial "Ooouh pretty" I felt the game it self was rater dull and added little to the stream.
Still the board was bought in support of charity, and I supposs It is better to get some use out of it rather that just storing it away and forgetting about it.
Just felt I had to give a little counter point to Lysander.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 14 Jan 2017, 11:29

I also really liked the Crokinole stream, but then again I enjoy watching curling come Olympic season...
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Jan 2017, 15:20

Yeah, that was a good stream. Never expected injuries to be a part of it. :-D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 14 Jan 2017, 17:02

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:I also really liked the Crokinole stream, but then again I enjoy watching curling come Olympic season...

I would totally watch a LRR Curling stream, tbh.
virre
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby virre » 17 Jan 2017, 01:17

The Cronikole stream was one of the best AFK stream, much better then many of the boardgames, now a few of the games played is on the bottom of the list for games for me, but thats not the stream problem but because a few of them is quiet games with a lot of downtime which don't really stream well, Crokinole is constant action that invoives everyone.
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 18 Jan 2017, 21:31

I will agree that Crokinole was a good one for AFK as far as I'm concerned. I still prefer games like Nightmare because they make better watching (let's face it, Graham's continued abuse by the Gatekeeper and the Baron were lovely), but that has less to do with the quality of the games than how LRR reacts.

As virre says, in this game there is always something happening, and you know exactly what is going on at any given time. Unlike MTG (which, if you haven't already memorized the cards is watching two people shit-talk one another with long periods of silence) or Terra Mystica (which has analysis paralysis down to an art form), these games are great for a stream.
Chilli

Postby Chilli » 23 Jan 2017, 21:11

Cronkinole was great, loved it...now that their fingers are calloused enough, do you think they'll play pitch car? or how about rampage?

On a side note, I saw your mangaka stream get a shoutout on the offiial FB page.
virre

Postby virre » 25 Jan 2017, 04:29

Chilli wrote:Cronkinole was great, loved it...now that their fingers are calloused enough, do you think they'll play pitch car?

Pitchcar would be cool if they have it, but I doubt they even know what it is. Cronikole is after all Canadian, but as mentioned before any of these more social games would work well.

Easy interactions that allows room to communicate and joke around is good, games that are deep brain stuff or even worse Analysis Paralysis magnets would not be good because if I wanted to watch people think I would go to a boardgame event so I at least got to take my own turns.
PMAvers

Postby PMAvers » 28 Jan 2017, 09:41

Oh look, a game of Betrayal ends unsatisfactory due to the RNG basically handing one of the teams a easy win. That never happens...

I forgot how bad some of these scenarios were. A few easy fixes I think would've helped that one.
-Have everyone be swept to the basement by a gust of water.
-Give the traitor bear traps that they could mine the house with afterwards to slow people down as they try to get back to the attic.
-If the traitor has the medallion, maybe have the a chance for the house to flood faster? Gives you a reason to get it off him, or for them to get it.
Chilli

Postby Chilli » 12 Feb 2017, 05:46

Dear LRR:

Thank you so much for your Millenium Blades stream.
I love this game so much and I was figuring out how to send a copy to you guys from all the way in Australia.

You have made me happy and save my broke ass money...you are awesome.

-EDIT-
I had to say this...you guys were the cherry on top of the magical Christmas land cake.
After arranging to play millenium blades with friends after a long hiatus, I just learnt that my expansion pledge is being shipped out soon and watching the stream after all that good stuff just made it better.

Despite all the early cheating and my inability to jump into chat to yell judge calls, it was a very entertaining stream, I hope you guys stream the expansion in the future, where everyone fights against a game boss.
HummingbirdJames
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby HummingbirdJames » 16 Feb 2017, 12:06

Hey, I've got a recommendation I'd like to make! It's an RPG quite different from the usual; World Wide Wrestling! The players play as wrestlers in a promotion ran by the GM, called Creative in this game. It's quite a good adaptation of the strange and crazy world of wrestling to the Powered by the Apocalypse system, used for Apocalypse World, Dungeon World and Monsterhearts. You don't necessarily need to be a wrestling fan to play this game, either, though having at least one around is pretty useful. I super love playing this game myself, it's simple and easy to pick up and the GM doesn't need to prep too much - about half an hour is enough, if you're fine with a fair amount of improvising.
b0nnieb
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby b0nnieb » 16 Feb 2017, 15:11

I am recommending "Tsuro: The Game of the Path" as an addition to AFK. It is gorgeous, easy to learn, and quick to play.

http://a.co/9SrUt02

This game would be great for the streams where there is too little to get another session of the original game in, but too much time left to end the stream.
virre

Postby virre » 20 Feb 2017, 01:32

b0nnieb wrote:I am recommending "Tsuro: The Game of the Path" as an addition to AFK. It is gorgeous, easy to learn, and quick to play.

This game would be great for the streams where there is too little to get another session of the original game in, but too much time left to end the stream.

While I personaly like this game, my opinion is that it would not be enjoyable for streaming, in my experience people sit quietly and think and enjoy the beautiful patterns when playing this game, and watching people watch patterns developing do not sound that enjoyable.
Bergie

Postby Bergie » 25 Feb 2017, 07:17

virre wrote:
b0nnieb wrote:I am recommending "Tsuro: The Game of the Path" as an addition to AFK. It is gorgeous, easy to learn, and quick to play.

While I personaly like this game, my opinion is that it would not be enjoyable for streaming, in my experience people sit quietly and think and enjoy the beautiful patterns when playing this game, and watching people watch patterns developing do not sound that enjoyable.

I will also make the same case against Metro, which is a deeper, more complex, and less attractive version of Tsuro. These games can be brain-burners, and a lot of it consists of analysis paralysis which doesn't make great TV (/stream/etc).

Part of me wants to suggest Among the Stars, which I really enjoy (basically: Tile-laying "Build your own DS9 or Babylon 5" game), but a lot of what I like about it might not show up on camera since the tiles aren't that big. An idea, however.

Pandemic is a good game to play, and it SHOULD be visual enough to run on AFK. It has a lot of group discussion vs. individual thought, which also makes better TV.
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby unpronounceable » 25 Feb 2017, 11:43

Bergie wrote:Pandemic is a good game to play, and it SHOULD be visual enough to run on AFK. It has a lot of group discussion vs. individual thought, which also makes better TV.

Pandemic would work pretty well. You could also add ~18 AFK sessions by grabbing Pandemic Legacy instead.
virre

Postby virre » 26 Feb 2017, 04:22

Yes, co-operative games as Pandemic will work well, with a well balanced group that understand to not be steamrolled. Social deduction, dexterity and Co-operative games should work the best for a stream. (So I guess Battlestar Galactia should work as it's two of those)

We'll se if this more AFK streams thing happen that been mentioned a lot.
Bergie

Postby Bergie » 27 Feb 2017, 13:36

Still waiting on the Space Hulk game to go off, myself ;) That said, I also acknowledge that the game is not as good or balanced as nostalgia tells me it is, but it would still make good TV/Stream ;)

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”