Super Moderator

Matters of Import

Postby Graham » 28 Jun 2016, 00:02

Discussion thread for Matters of Import
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Re: Matters of Import

Postby theycallmejokke » 29 Jun 2016, 12:34

Youtube is being a butt I'm afried, and Matters of Import — Magic Knight Rayearth have been blocked by TMSanime.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 20 Sep 2016, 15:24

FYI Beej/Ian: An English Translation of Family Trainer 8 was just released.

It's based on the Japanese Game show Takeshi's Castle (better known as MXC in North America)
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 01 Jan 2017, 16:57

So, Ian mentioned on Rhythm Cafe about maybe doing a Touhou game, but not liking bullet hell games.

What about one of the doujin/fangame platformer games, like this one?
virre
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby virre » 20 Feb 2017, 02:19

After thinking this through for a while I want to make an case for playing a very much traditional boardgame on Matters of Import as there is an important cultural influence on games both in the east and the west, and it certanly was imported to the western context, although during the early 19th century it not really taken hold in popular culture until now.
I am of course playing about Go (chinese: WeiQi, Japanese: iGo, Korean: Baduk) as this game now become such big news with the impressing wins for AlphaGo that have increased western interest (and also investment in the game as there been a reinvestment to Go Associations from the AlphaGo Team) Let me talk about abit about the points I mentioned to make the case stronger.

The Import

The first notes on Go in an European publication is from 1615, and there where spread notices of knowledge of the game during the 17th to 19th century. Most famous is probably Leibniz and the article he wrote about the game, The real breaking point to popularise the game in Europe was the German publication of Oscar Korschelt's Das Japanisch-Chinesische Spiel 'Go' , this lead to the establishment of the game and game clubs inside Germany and later on the rest of Europe. Not surprsingly already here there was a connect with chess-players and that is how Edward Lasker learned of the game and introduced it to the US* by founding the New York Go Club and publishing a number of treatises on the game.

Cultural influence

Go have had a major impact in how we view abstract games in the west today, it is very hard to find an abstract boardgame that don't take an influence from some parts of Go, from Hive to Through the Desert (Which do not at first glance look like an abstract game, but very much is an reimplementation of Go). However for the case of Matter of Import, it is more interesting to look at it's influence on culture in East-Asia, here I am less read (and therefor much interested in just such a Matters of Import) however I do know of multiple articles priceing iGo tactics for the difference between military thinking in the west and east, and in how Japan rose in it's economical standing. The game have professional players in both Japan, China and Korea, where the leadning nation now is Korea. There also is major mass-media exposure of Go, including dedicated tv-channels in Korea. Combine this with the fact that Lee Seedol 1-4 lose to AlphaGo in 2016 it is extra intresting. (This for a Candian comparasion is like if Wayne Gretzky lost a hockey game to a robot)

How to play Go on stream

There is a few (way to few sadly) streamers of the game on Twitch so it certanly is possible to play it on stream. If the basic knowledge of the game is missing , there is a site called the Interactive Guide to Go which I highly recommend. There is multiple places to play the game online today, if you want the struggling to understand menus I guess Tygem is an option, however what I really would recommend for this game is the in-browser game on online-go.com, it is the most modern site to play on and it's the easiest placce to find beginner games.

(If you do like this idea and choice to do it, please let me know in advance so I can make sure I can stay up and watch live (: )

* (East-asian Imigrant populations probably already played the game in the US though)
ihorner
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby ihorner » 20 Feb 2017, 16:22

SAJewers, I think we can probably put together enough non bullet hell games to do a Touhou night, great idea.

Virre, similarly a great idea on Go. Beej and I are both fans of the concept of Go, thanks to an indoctrination by the manga and anime Hikaru no Go. I think we both know the basics, but we're sooooo terrible at it, just babies. It might be fun to do some research though and maybe add it to a grab bag episode, or perhaps we can have Serge on for an AFK to do some real Go, apparently he is a decent player.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Feb 2017, 03:19

I believe TableTop Simulator has a Go option, if you're not just going to go full AFK-type stream with a real board.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

virre
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby virre » 22 Feb 2017, 00:39

AdmiralMemo wrote:I believe TableTop Simulator has a Go option, if you're not just going to go full AFK-type stream with a real board.

That is an option of they just want to play each other, but online Go have been an established thing for so long that if they want to play others one of the specific Go services would be a better option, se for example:
http://senseis.xmp.net/?GoServers
Dusk_Shine
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Dusk_Shine » 03 Apr 2017, 17:37

So....I have a couple of games to suggest, but they might not technically qualify. The first is "Shonen Jump's J-Stars: Victory VS+", and the other is "One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3". Neither game has been localized in the audio, but the menus all have been, which is why I'm not sure if they qualify or not.
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 11 May 2017, 23:59

So I don't know whether this would be best suided on Watch + Play, or Matters of Import, but I just saw the extra credit crew play Ace of Seafood and it was mental but also just complitely awesome, link below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RciHTXIVXNw
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 06 Aug 2017, 16:51

Leaving this here as it may help Beej/Ian in finding games to play for MoI

https://unbound.com/books/japanese-vide ... bscurities
AndruMonkey
First Video: LRRcast

Postby AndruMonkey » 17 Aug 2017, 04:39

This is probably cheating (as it's available on PSN - in the UK at least), but I remember Ian saying when Matters Of Import first started that he wanted to play some Brazilian games, and Toren is a half-decent Ico-style adventure thingy. Plus it's short enough to probably finish it in a single stream.

It was made by the Brazilian company Swordtales, and was the first game backed with the Brazilian government's public tax credit. Look - I can read Wikipedia!
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 30 Dec 2017, 06:03

throwing this out there as a potential MoI game

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/3364/
Lacynth40
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Lacynth40 » 04 Jan 2018, 17:22

So, are Beej and Ian ever getting back to finishing Yakuza 4? Or did I miss the announcement that they were going to stop that? Maybe a series of ...One More?'s to finish it out?
Sektor88
First Video: I don't remember D:

Postby Sektor88 » 16 Jan 2018, 18:35

As a suggestion / idea, how about playing the Asian version of Super Robot Taisen V (aka Super Robot Wars V) for PS4? It's a strategy RPG that crosses over a bunch of famous mecha anime series. On top of that, it's an actual import, it's region free, and it has an english text option! I've seen copies of it on Play-Asia, for reference.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”