Magnum Rewatch Ep 18 - Billy Joe Bob

Kathleen and Graham guide you through 1980s action awesomeness.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Magnum Rewatch Ep 18 - Billy Joe Bob

Postby Kathleen » 04 Jun 2015, 11:30

Billy Joe Bob, a man from Texas, hires Magnum to track down his missing sister. Graham talks Kendo, and Kathleen makes various dog noises for verisimilitude.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Delanofilms
First Video: Gay Chicken

Re: Magnum Rewatch Ep 18 - Billy Joe Bob

Postby Delanofilms » 04 Jun 2015, 12:28

Mayhaps there is a slightly different opinion among the LRR crew, but as an older brother 10 years ahead of my sister, if I found out she was a prostitute, I would be inconsolable.
JWiley129
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby JWiley129 » 04 Jun 2015, 12:43

To be fair, lynching is more about mob justice than vigilante justice. That said lynching is bad and making the Texan/Southerner hang a guy is a bit negative towards that stereotype. I feel like it would've made more sense for Billy Joe Bob to shoot Ito-san, but the hanging is more "convenient" from a story perspective. At least we have no mention that Billy Joe Bob is in the KKK, because then that would be grounds for calling it a lynching.

Another note, Pali is pronounced with a long a sound. Like Bali with a P instead of a B.
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 04 Jun 2015, 18:22

I really felt as if the production values for the show have suddenly increased with this season. I don't know what gave me that feeling when watching, but it really seemed like the show was smoother to watch.

With the flying experience problem you were highlighting, I had a similar reaction, however I then remembered that here in Australia, large outback properties use both helicopters and light planes for things like travel and cattle herding. Having someone with a pilot license for crop dusting, it would not surprise me if they also got a license for flying a helicopter....as many of the skills would be transferable and have both would be useful in a rural area.

Talking about NCIS, yes they did make a New Orleans spinoff, I remember the first season airing here last year. A quick google shows that it has been picked up for a second season, so it must have done alright. Which is weird, NCIS: New Orleans is a spinoff of NCIS, which in turn is a spinoff from Jag.

---------------------------------------------------
Quick Count Update:
Rating: 6/10

Murder Count: 4 (+0)
That's Racist Count: 5.75 (+0)
Different Era Count: 5 (+1)
4th Wall Breaks: 15 (+0)

Different Era: Increased Prostitute Stigma and 18 Possums in an overcoat. Not mentioned directly, but the words 'it was a different time' were spoken.
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 04 Jun 2015, 20:45

Yes, I remember Small Wonder. As did the Nostalgia Critic recently!
http://channelawesome.com/nostalgia-cri ... ll-wonder/
SoldieroFortune
First Video: Onmi-lingual

Postby SoldieroFortune » 06 Jun 2015, 12:37

In response to the NCIS New Orleans comment - actually they just finished their first season. Seems to have gone pretty well. No word yet on if they'll get picked up for the second season yet.
Yes, I live in New York. No, it is not just one big city.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 07 Jun 2015, 11:06

I wouldn't really categorize either of my cats as particularly smart, but they too give no shits about laser pointers or dangling string. They just look at me then go back to licking themselves.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
7SecondsLeft
First Video: Checkpoint on PATV

Postby 7SecondsLeft » 09 Jun 2015, 02:57

Hooray, I can finally break into my season 2 discs, although I'll try my best not to watch them all in one sitting this time :D

So if Mokey was replaced by Cokey, do we also get a Hokey, and then we all turn around? (Or Pokey for you strange American people) :D

DaMage wrote:I really felt as if the production values for the show have suddenly increased with this season. I don't know what gave me that feeling when watching, but it really seemed like the show was smoother to watch.

I agree the production of the show has improved in this first episode of the season, but there were also some parts that felt worse - for example, a lot less background music than I would have expected, making some scenes feel too quiet. Or some editing issues that made it felt like characters were jumping around too much, as G+K said in the podcast, although that might be script issues instead. Hopefully these were just glitches while they started ramping up production on the season.

Return to “Magnum Rewatch”