Magnum Rewatch Ep 20 - The Woman on the Beach

Kathleen and Graham guide you through 1980s action awesomeness.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Magnum Rewatch Ep 20 - The Woman on the Beach

Postby Kathleen » 17 Jun 2015, 00:37

Magnum investigates when a beautiful woman seems to vanish into thin air. Is she really a woman, or is she a ghost? Meanwhile, Graham is very confused by Magnum's dietary choices, and Kathleen discusses the finer points of novelty car horns.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Moussefilledkitten
First Video: Checkpoint

Re: Magnum Rewatch Ep 20 - The Woman on the Beach

Postby Moussefilledkitten » 17 Jun 2015, 07:16

As annoyed as you guys are about the supernatural (which I can understand) in Magnum, be aware that it becomes quite implied in later seasons that Magnum has some small telepathic ability. I enjoyed this episode and I know there are some good ones coming up soon, so I think there is a definite uptick in quality coming up.
SoSo_Tsundere
First Video: Checkpoint, long, long ago in a PATV far

Postby SoSo_Tsundere » 17 Jun 2015, 08:27

I really liked the banter you guys had going on in this episode! There was an excellent groove you two had, and I loved the beach adjacent bit!

Also, shit is about to get real in Magnum. I believe the season 2 finale features a scene later referenced in Archer... but it has been a while.
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 17 Jun 2015, 17:10

I did not recognise Judith Chapman, but I did feel like I'd seen her before. Turns out the annoyance that I felt when I saw her was justified. This episode seemed a bit all over the place to me, not bad, but not great.

Yay! murder count.

---------------------------------------------------
Quick Count Update:
Rating: 7/10

Murder Count: 5 (+1)
That's Racist Count: 6.75 (+1)
Different Era Count: 5 (+0)
4th Wall Breaks: 16 (+1)

Magnum kills the bad guy
Higgins is racist at samoans
Magnum looks at camera after seeing ghostsman
DrDemento
First Video: Guild Fight

Postby DrDemento » 18 Jun 2015, 02:52

Just going from your descriptions, I suspect the groundskeeper was being set up as an alternative suspect for the murder. It doesn't sound like he was set up very well, but maybe some of his dialogue got cut.
Kathleen
LRR Crew

Postby Kathleen » 18 Jun 2015, 08:40

DrDemento wrote:Just going from your descriptions, I suspect the groundskeeper was being set up as an alternative suspect for the murder. It doesn't sound like he was set up very well, but maybe some of his dialogue got cut.

That seems very possible. Perhaps in an earlier draft it wasn't so clear that there was one suspect and it was Henry.

My personal theory is that the groundskeeper is another ghost. If you've seen the episode it would explain the state of the gardens.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Twinklefeet
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby Twinklefeet » 19 Jun 2015, 03:30

It's one thing for a place to be haunted, but haunted by an irritating German groundskeeper? The terrible, moderately racist '80s sitcom writes itself.
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 19 Jun 2015, 10:52

Can't believe that Graham missed the opportunity to make a Zoo Race reference, when Sara's "ghost" was running away from Magnum. RACE ME MAGNUM, RACE ME AROUND THE GREENHOUSE. I really enjoy the whole series, I'm planning to buy a DVD set of Magnum as soon as I can afford it.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
7SecondsLeft
First Video: Checkpoint on PATV

Postby 7SecondsLeft » 20 Jun 2015, 05:28

Twinklefeet wrote:It's one thing for a place to be haunted, but haunted by an irritating German groundskeeper? The terrible, moderately racist '80s sitcom writes itself.

His accent was so poor, I was expecting some kind of twist where he was revealed to be Sarah's old lover, still living on the estate until he finds where her body is buried, and this was just a crappy disguise so Henry Ellison didn't find out and kill him too.
But no, it was just bad acting in a badly written scene...
Kathleen
LRR Crew

Postby Kathleen » 23 Jun 2015, 08:46

7SecondsLeft wrote:
Twinklefeet wrote:It's one thing for a place to be haunted, but haunted by an irritating German groundskeeper? The terrible, moderately racist '80s sitcom writes itself.

His accent was so poor, I was expecting some kind of twist where he was revealed to be Sarah's old lover, still living on the estate until he finds where her body is buried, and this was just a crappy disguise so Henry Ellison didn't find out and kill him too.
But no, it was just bad acting in a badly written scene...

oh, that's a way better theory!
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!

Return to “Magnum Rewatch”