Episode suggestions

Dan and Paul take an in-depth look at the worlds portrayed Young Adult dystopian fiction.
DanicaShardae201
First Video: Crapshots The Accusation

Re: Episode suggestions

Postby DanicaShardae201 » 28 Apr 2015, 05:35

The Last Book in the Universe, by Rodman Philbrik is good. Its about a world where entertainment is pumped directly into people's heads and the world has gone to crap while people drool. The protagonist is allergic so he interacts with the horrors and gangs of the real world.

Also, Ready Player One. VR has become everything. School, work, social lives, gaming, everything. then the guy who created VR hints an Easter egg and the finder gets to own VR. Its a scavenger hunt hacker mashup. Idk how post apocalyptic, but a good short read anyway.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 28 Apr 2015, 13:11

Young adult book I know of: "Witch and Wizard". The story is absurd and poorly written, but dystopian themed and has magic.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Daniel
First Video: The first one

Postby Daniel » 28 Apr 2015, 15:24

Thanks for these great book suggestions DanicaShardae201 and Jonci! I enjoyed Ready Player One, and it definitely fits in our mandate. Same for Witch and Wizard: nowhere did we say it has to be strictly science fiction! It can even be stretched to realistic novels - for example I'm interested to check out Holes.
aliecatze
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby aliecatze » 28 Apr 2015, 16:09

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
Dystopia + Teenagers + '80s Video Games = Perfect. Steven Speilberg is now supposed to be attached to the movie even.
Diserasta
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Diserasta » 28 Apr 2015, 19:25

I'd suggest The Iron Dragon's Daughter, by Michael Swanwick. It combines a bit of fantasy with Sci-Fi, but it's definitely a dystopia, and it's a great book.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 28 Apr 2015, 20:08

Oh, hey. If we're going into classic scifi territory with Ender's Game, what about Snow Crash?
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

TheGeek
First Video: FridayNights

Postby TheGeek » 30 Apr 2015, 01:00

My recommendation is The Tripods Trilogy (The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, and The Pool of Fire) it came out in the late 1960s.

It is the story of a group of friends living after the aliens have taken over the Earth at the age of 14 everyone gets a "Cap" which suppress curiosity and creativity. Some people don't take to the Cap to well and become vagrants.

I think I feel about The Tripod books they same way you do about Devil on My Back. It's a series I found when I was pretty young and are some of my favorite books to this day.
Daniel

Postby Daniel » 01 May 2015, 01:40

@TheGeek You're really gonna like the episode we're taping on Sunday! ;)
Rose_Nightshade
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Rose_Nightshade » 01 May 2015, 06:56

Might I suggest "City of Ember" by Jeanne Duprau? It's a YA book that's semi-distopia that takes place in a post-apocalyptic setting (It's also pretty darn short) and they also made a movie of it if you'd prefer that (Which was in some ways had more content than the book.)
It's the first of a four book series (the rest weren't made into movies and I'm not sure of their plot) so if City of Ember tickles your fancy, there's more content down that road if you like it.

Handy link to Author's website: http://www.jeanneduprau.com/books.shtml

Must say, I'm loving this podcast. End of the World scenarios and dystopias are totally my jam and favorite thing to read/watch, and the way you do the postcast is awesome! Looking forward to more, keep on doing what you're doin! :)
TheGeek
First Video: FridayNights

Postby TheGeek » 02 May 2015, 00:24

Daniel wrote:@TheGeek You're really gonna like the episode we're taping on Sunday! ;)

Looking forward to it. ;-)
The E
First Video: Buttstallation

Postby The E » 14 May 2015, 02:09

Another suggestion: The Rifters Trilogy (Starfish, Maelstrom and ßehemoth) by Peter Watts. They're very definitely not YA, but they're extremely interesting dystopias.
OurBossTombledore
First Video: Dirty Money

Postby OurBossTombledore » 18 May 2015, 01:56

Daniel wrote:@TheGeek You're really gonna like the episode we're taping on Sunday! ;)

Did you already have those books in mind or was it the email I sent? Also super duper excited as the tripods trilogy was the first dystopia book I ever read. (Also the dome on the podcast image is a illustration of the one of the alien cities, with a tripod in the foreground.You probably already knew that but :D )
sacred_rhino
First Video: friday nights

Postby sacred_rhino » 26 May 2015, 17:47

I really enjoyd "Dark Universe" and "Lords of the Psychon" by Daniel F. Galouye. Dark Universe probably satisfies the young adult requirement more closely than Lords of the Psychon but both were excellent and neither were terribly long or arduous to get through like this sentence was. Great Sci Fi from the 1960s.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 03 Jun 2015, 20:54

It's not particularly dystopia or YA (You could argue that because I watch and love it, but I digress), but I'd love to see an episode on Adventure Time. It's post-apocalypse, very mutlifaceted, and extremely in depth in its universe.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Zelest
First Video: Can't remember...

Editing suggestion

Postby Zelest » 09 Jun 2015, 00:46

Not a book suggestion but an editing one:

A suggestion to keep Dan and Paul apart, since you sound so much alike and I often confuse you, despite the audio recording being a bit different due to equipment: stereo panning. Ie: Move Paul a little bit to the left and Dan a little bit to the right and keep guests in the middle. That way you get a aural landscape and it is easier to hear who's whom. Not talking extremes, but something like a 50% separation (25% in each direction) would help.

Pretty please with a cherry on top?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Jun 2015, 03:07

I approve this idea. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Clay Campbell esq
First Video: Ways to Get Killed in a Horror Movie

Postby Clay Campbell esq » 09 Jun 2015, 07:21

Now this is nether a book or a movie, and probably wouldn't be considered YA, but what do y0ou think about the audio drama Our Fair City? http://www.ourfaircity.com/category/episode/

It takes place in the future where there was some unexplained ecological disaster and the world is covers in endless snow.

The survivors live in a corporate run tower and the corporation is an insurance company.

People are referred to as Policies and you live for the company and die for the company.

It's funny spooky and surreal, with some top notch audio work.
Daniel

Postby Daniel » 09 Jun 2015, 09:58

@Zelest and @AdmiralMemo, thanks for the suggestion and interest! In fact I already do that to the audio, but only 10% to each side. (I'm on the right and Paul is on the left, just like in your suggestion - maybe you've been subconsciously picking up on it!) The only reason I haven't gone farther is that I thought it could be annoying in sections where one of us is talking for a long time. But I haven't actually run tests. Now I will! Please share any future ideas you have for improving the listenability.

@Clay Campbell esq and others, thanks for the suggestions!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Jun 2015, 10:03

Maybe try like 15% for the next one and see if that works slightly better. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

manbeardo
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby manbeardo » 10 Jun 2015, 11:03

Format suggestion:

You could take a more conversational tone in the segment intros; the wording you've been using is mechanical and doesn't really match the tone of the rest of the show. For example, you could lead in the story segment with "let's talk about the story" instead of "this is the part where we talk about the story".
Jadenim
First Video: Every OS Sucks

Postby Jadenim » 10 Jun 2015, 14:16

Following on from the Tripods, can I suggest The Chrysalids by John Wyndham; although he's much more famous for Day of the Triffids and The Midwitch Cuckoos, I think this is his best book. And also a very early example of YA dystopia, so great for this series.
sacred_rhino
First Video: friday nights

Postby sacred_rhino » 18 Jun 2015, 20:21

technically speaking, yes i went there, Terry Brooks' Shannara series are post apocalypse dystopian esk YA fantasy.
Oli
First Video: Feed dump

Postby Oli » 23 Jun 2015, 13:21

Rollerball (1975 with James Caan)
RoboCop (only The original exists right).
Starship Troopers (Both the Book and the Film )
Cherry 2000
Snowpiercer
Moon
SoupiestMammal
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby SoupiestMammal » 24 Jun 2015, 12:17

Another one I haven't seen mentioned yet:
Day of the Triffids

Possibly more post-apocalyptic than dystopia, though there's certainly something to be said about a world full of blind people and predatory plants.
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 24 Jun 2015, 13:22

Daniel wrote:That was an odd moment, wasn't it, when the werewolves (or "mutt-ations" - the one thing Suzanne Collins is really, really not good at is cool names for things, see also "tracker jacker") are revealed as having the contestants eyes. Very much implying that they had been monsterized.

Misstep? I thought it was the freakiest thing and really contributed well to the horrific lengths to which the Capitol and the Gamesmakers would go to scare the shite out of every one in the Districts. "Oh, not only are you sending us your children in order so that they can fight other children to the death, but we're also going to mutilate their corpses after they die to create new monsters. Don't. Fuck. With. The. Capitol."
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn

Return to “Fight the Future”