Fight the Future 13 - Uglies

Dan and Paul take an in-depth look at the worlds portrayed Young Adult dystopian fiction.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Fight the Future 13 - Uglies

Postby Paul » 14 Sep 2015, 08:23

A land where everyone is pretty and parties all the time - sounds like a Fight the Future taping! Tally is about to turn 16, when she will become a Pretty, thanks to the radical plastic surgery her society demands. But when she makes contact with people outside the city, she learns that there's a downside, that rhymes with "brain lesions". No wait, it's just brain lesions. Dan and Paul are joined by Tally (a different one!) to talk about Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.
winterpanda
First Video: Duty Calls

Re: Fight the Future 13 - Uglies

Postby winterpanda » 14 Sep 2015, 19:08

As someone who has taken courses in neuroscience, I also had a problem with the lesions. I mean, if someone invented a pill that can regrow brain cells, they deserve a Nobel Prize and a billion dollars.

Great episode! I really liked Tally as a guest.
Zaz
First Video: Unskippable, Star Ocean

Postby Zaz » 15 Sep 2015, 03:36

I don't think I've ever listened through the outro music properly before, because with this episode I realised it is awesome! Is it the intro without the voices?
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 15 Sep 2015, 09:46

Zaz wrote:I don't think I've ever listened through the outro music properly before, because with this episode I realised it is awesome! Is it the intro without the voices?

Not quite. Bradley made the track as the intro music and we loved it, but it was a little too long, so we got him to do a shorter version for the intro and used the full length version for the outro music.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Sep 2015, 10:50

Where do the quotes in the intro come from, by the way? The only one I know of is "I volunteer as tribute" from the Hunger Games (and I haven't even seen the movie/read the book). How about the rest?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 16 Sep 2015, 10:57

I may have missed this, but are the middle aged Pretties actually mentally competent, what with the alcoholic partying in their past and the brain lesions and that? I'm wondering who performs the actual operation, and who looks after all the machines when they break.
Daniel
First Video: The first one

Postby Daniel » 17 Sep 2015, 10:08

@zaz I also think it's awesome! It's not just shorter - there are some other subtle differences. Holy cow did Bradley Rains do an amazing job of making music from my vague descriptions! ("more urgent, and doomed")

@ritchards I think I cut that bit out, but middle Pretties get some of their cognitive function restored. Awkward aspect of the world, at least if we're going with "lesions".

@AdmiralMemo That should be a contest! Hope you didn't look them up already!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Sep 2015, 11:07

I did not because I would not know where to start, other than just Googling the phrases themselves.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Daniel
First Video: The first one

Postby Daniel » 17 Sep 2015, 11:32

Googling the phrases totally works. Even from the only one *not* from a YA dystopia - exactly one hit! D'oh!
mutant_pie
First Video: Check Point

Postby mutant_pie » 18 Sep 2015, 16:46

Another very good and interesting podcast folks. I think the author spun his story off of this episode of the Twilight Zone; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_12 ... t_Like_You

It's a goody and I recommend watching it. I wouldn't call the books story a direct "steal." However there are many similar elements and themes. I strongly recommend a viewing. Also, I'm a strong believer in "Good artists borrow, great artists steal" however, mostly it seems like it was the context that was lifted. I think it's great when one artist is able to build off of the work of another without traceable plagiarism.

Return to “Fight the Future”