Sidewalk Slam 2 - February 2016

Discussion of our pro wrestling pod/vidcast Sidewalk Slam, and pro wrestling in general.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Sidewalk Slam 2 - February 2016

Postby Paul » 18 Feb 2016, 13:45

Sidewalk Slam is here to stay! This episode covers the fallout from the Royal Rumble, and lead up to Fastlane.
counterjockey
First Video: How to be a Son of a Bitch

Re: Sidewalk Slam 2 - February 2016

Postby counterjockey » 18 Feb 2016, 13:57

Great episode. I like that you followed threads all the way through the several weeks before going back and picking up a new thread from the beginning. It let's us get into the stories and repercussions, and you have more time to build a deeper opinion of the overall product. If you keep to an episode or two to cover a month of Raw and an episode for the PPVs, that will be an amazing amount of content.
If there's time to clean, there's time to lean.
The Martini
First Video: Installing Linux

Postby The Martini » 18 Feb 2016, 15:02

Another "not a wrestling fan but enjoy Sidewalk Slam" chiming in here. I watched a bit when I was a kid, a LOT in the late 90's when my friends were into it (but was never a big fan), and haven't paid much attention since, but it's still neat to listen to.

Wrestling that I would watch, if it was a bit more accessible, would take two biiiiig steps away from even how little WWE tries to keep things in the 'real' world. I would 100% watch a live-action, in a stadium, Fighting Contest run by an ancient god. Don't go as far as special effects, but "how can this little guy win against the huge guy?" Well, he has magical strength (but one secret weakness)! "A woman would never fight against a guy!" Well, she's a voodoo master that can hypnotize people and has the strength of 100 of her previous opponents.

Some of the Lucha leagues go this far, but the barrier to entry is pretty high in both language and availability.

Super fun to hear about the silly, awesome stuff they get up to with the New Day and Goldust. If only they'd pay attention to the internal consistency and plot of their main stories.
Gin. Vermouth. Olives.
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Postby Eric the Orange » 18 Feb 2016, 15:10

Let me chronicle my thoughts as I was watching this episode

I'm one of those people who hates the "I am unstoppable" character. I hated it when Goldberg did it and I hate it now when Brock is doing it. I hate it because, to me, it doesn't make them look good it makes everyone else look bad. Like the only way anyone can have a chance is by cheating, and if it's a fair fight the outcome is already decided. Because as story line has established They are worth 3-4 other regular guys so it's hard to make a 1-on-1 match seem even plausible. It's like if everyone else are just regular guys and one guy is the Hulk.

I am just the biggest mark for the rock. And I know he has a carrier outside of wrestling and he's getting older, but just having him around is a joy. Like you said, he can do just the stupidest shit, but because it's him doing it it's still great.

I agree with the point that back in the day Vince always made people joining the WWF/WWE drop any history they had outside of the company. So you'd get guys who had been wrestling for years, and suddenly they were fresh new faces. Also Vince apparently just handed people crazy gimmicks back then as well. Hence how you got things like Doink the clown or the gobbelty gooker.

I like this Becky, her hair is orange.

I'm a big fan of "the comic relief" wrestlers. I mean just like you need the serious big hitters like your HHH's or your John Cenas, you need your silly guys like The New Day. Heck you get some of the best tag teams teaming up a serious guy and a goofball. Like the Rock and Mankind, or Booker T and Gold Dust.

Titus O'neil looks super imposing. Dunno how well he talks or wrestles, but he has the look down.

For what it's worth I'd be cool with it if you only did PPV recaps if doing the other shows takes too much of your time.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Feb 2016, 17:21

Graham just wants to turn Wrestling into The Muppet Show with Triple-H as Kermit.

Not a critique, I'd totally watch that.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 18 Feb 2016, 21:48

I wasn't sure if a general Raw review would be a good idea, but given that I don't have cable and this will likely be the main way I see what's going on during Raw, I suppose I don't really have anything to complain about.

I do think it's better breaking it down by storyline than by episode because it keeps all the things that are connected together better. I don't think breaking it down by episode would be nearly as cohesive.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 18 Feb 2016, 23:18

The "Ambreigns" thing actually made me stop the podcast to go check to see if it was actually a thing or just a portmanteau joke.

I... don't know why I doubted it.

I'm gonna go think about my life a little.
DennyR
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DennyR » 19 Feb 2016, 05:19

I feel quite sorry for Lana really. She was being positioned as a big deal (or big deal as far as valets go) and then because of calling Paige a bully and "ruining" a story by getting engaged to the man she loves, she's in the dog house. Kinda feels like the time Serena Deeb got fired cause she was in a pub in her free time having a drink while she was part of the Straight Edge Society.

I really get what Graham meant about popping for Sasha's music, ordinarily I'd hate hearing something in that style, but because it's associated with one of my favourite parts of the show, I kinda love it. Same with Bayley's music.

Really looking forward to the Bryan episode, hopefully they'll bring up the chant from his indie days about kicking :P
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 19 Feb 2016, 05:48

The New Day is consistently the best thing in wrestling today.
Master Gunner wrote:Graham just wants to turn Wrestling into The Muppet Show with Triple-H as Kermit.

But they already have Puppet H...
counterjockey
First Video: How to be a Son of a Bitch

Postby counterjockey » 19 Feb 2016, 09:03

Antitonic wrote:The New Day is consistently the best thing in wrestling today.
Master Gunner wrote:Graham just wants to turn Wrestling into The Muppet Show with Triple-H as Kermit.

But they already have Puppet H...

New Day is the main reason I'm thinking about getting the network...
If there's time to clean, there's time to lean.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 19 Feb 2016, 20:05

Also just another quick note, I know the video component is a lot more important to this, but I hugely appreciate the ability to download it and listen while I am driving as I have a very long commute. The audio version means I can listen to the whole lot over a couple of trips in the car instead of waiting until I am at home.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 22 Feb 2016, 18:37

Another Sidewalk Slam episode, another stretch of me getting this stuck in my head every time the New Day is mentioned. That's not a complaint or anything, it's just a thing.

Also: I'm grateful for all the asides explaining weird backstory trivia, since I know essentially nothing about this stuff... the Funkasaurus tale was amazing.

[edit] Gotta love a show where you can say "he shouldn't even have his demon powers because I thought the wizard cult took them away from him" as a quick contextless aside with a straight face...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
bv310
First Video: EVERYTHING IS FINE

Postby bv310 » 28 Feb 2016, 12:44

I love The New Day so much. Their Twitter videos about Sheamus and the League of Nations are gold.
DennyR

Postby DennyR » 29 Feb 2016, 02:14

New Day are global, at the joint show between Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling, Honor Rising: Japan, Kenny Omega came out for his tag team match with a New Day t-shirt on.

I'd love if WWE followed up on Omega and the Young Bucks challenging New Day to a match for the 6 man titles Bullet Club hold :D

Edit: For reference, this is the challenge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLjLZohJouk

Return to “Sidewalk Slam”