Social Anxiety Fear Factor

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Moussefilledkitten
First Video: Checkpoint

Re: Social Anxiety Fear Factor

Postby Moussefilledkitten » 28 Jul 2014, 09:42

I will echo others that the first minute and a half was very hard to watch. I actually clicked to the comments after a minute twenty just to see where it was going because I'm empathetic in my social anxiety and I wasn't sure if I could handle it. It is a great idea and perfectly on the mark.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 28 Jul 2014, 13:45

I didn't pause, switch tabs, or stop watching, but only was able to because it's a LRR sketch and I knew it would pick up. Anyway, definitely worth it, since it provided the perfect setup for the rest of the video(Which was kind of like a ginormous, 4-minute punch line).
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
SomeCallMeTim
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby SomeCallMeTim » 28 Jul 2014, 14:14

Man but Paul's acting was super solid in this one, especially in the first half. I love the sheen of sweat they added. Kathleen also did a great job of being the most passive aggressive hostess ever. I think your acting skills are still improving with each sketch, fantastic work. The sheer number of people saying it made them uncomfortable to watch is a testament to how well this sketch worked.
BE RIGHT THERE HOMBRE!
Beej
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby Beej » 28 Jul 2014, 15:36

Kapol wrote:As weird as this might sound, when Beej came on, all I could think of was his nipple showing through his shirt. That was the weirdest part of the video for me. I managed to get through the first part because... well, it basically had the 'this is so bad for him that they must be evil and planned it' vibe to it.

It was a happy coincidence that I was wearing that shirt that day.

I figured if I was going to act uncomfortable, the viewing audience should feel uncomfortable too.
Beej
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Re: NEW VIDEO - Social Anxiety Fear Factor

Postby Beej » 28 Jul 2014, 15:37

romangoro wrote:I too did alt-tab somewhere else right Paul hit its limit, even having read the video's title.

the amativeness wrote:
Jamfalcon wrote:(Also, just a head's up, Beej isn't in the credits.)

Beej was overly anxious at the thought of being listed in the credits, so he's an uncredited cameo.

Beej was so anxious that he even showed up before and was a guest at the party (unless I'm totally wrong and that's James talking to Ashley on the first shot)

Good eye. That's me talking to Ashley.
ocelotteranian
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby ocelotteranian » 28 Jul 2014, 15:46

This video is amazing! I actually watched the first part while chewing off my thumbnail out of sheer awkwardness.

Hands up anyone else who has actually gone by the wrong name for a whole function because they, like poor Jeff, were too scared to correct the host!
Bratmon
First Video: Ways to make money

Postby Bratmon » 28 Jul 2014, 17:34

I peaced out at 1:30. I only came back because:
A. I saw the title of the video
B. I moused over and saw Jer and a lower third at 1:45.
C. I knew it was the buildup to something hilarious.
NebulosDisconcertion
First Video: Pony Time

Postby NebulosDisconcertion » 28 Jul 2014, 18:46

I was thinking it would be funnier if the title was just 'Social Anxiety' and the reality show part just comes out of nowhere. It seems not going for that gag was the right decision, as a lot of people wouldn't have made it through the first sequence without a light at the end of the tunnel.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 28 Jul 2014, 20:35

For the first 1:45, it was easily the most awkward and sad thing I'd ever watched, just because it was so easy to relate to. Then, it exploded into hilarity.

Great video, crew.

EDIT: I think they didn't name it just "Social Anxiety" because it would draw a name parallel with "Installation Anxiety" even though the two videos have nothing in common.
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Re: NEW VIDEO - Social Anxiety Fear Factor

Postby Trisha Lynn » 28 Jul 2014, 22:06

kade_zero wrote:
Yaxley wrote:
Jenelmo wrote:I almost closed the video around 1.30 because it was so awkward

I had to pause it and come back. Can you die of embarrassment by proxy?

I’ve always had trouble watching scenes that show awkward situations, or people getting embarrassed. The first 1 minute 45 seconds of this video was very difficult to watch. I had to pause it twice.

I generally have this problem as well, but due to the title and the Kickstarter-backer post that said a familiar character was returning, I knew to power through. The weird thing is that I'm an extrovert, but seeing people be humiliated on screen is a fear/phobia I have.

Trisha Lynn
...which I discovered while watching "Bring It On"...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 29 Jul 2014, 04:51

I'm with Trisha; I'd be fine in these situations myself but I was getting antsy and jittery on someone else's behalf (heck, I cut my palm off a fingernail from clenching my hands so much)

Paul performance was SO evocative!

Beej DID break the awkwardness-by-proxy I was feeling with the kinda over-the-top breakdown, and
Beej wrote:It was a happy coincidence that I was wearing that shirt that day.

I figured if I was going to act uncomfortable, the viewing audience should feel uncomfortable too.

BRILLIANT :twisted:

...Jer was spot on as Jeremy Michaels as always.

And that stinger? Made all the discomfort WORTH IT!
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 29 Jul 2014, 11:50

I was going to say.. maybe it shouldn't have been titled Social Anxiety Fear Factor, since that kinda gives part of the game away, but then again, if it was called "Awkward!" then you might think the whole thing was just making fun of anxiety until the Buttstallation style breakdown, and people would bomb out.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 29 Jul 2014, 12:34

King Kool wrote:I was going to say.. maybe it shouldn't have been titled Social Anxiety Fear Factor, since that kinda gives part of the game away, but then again, if it was called "Awkward!" then you might think the whole thing was just making fun of anxiety until the Buttstallation style breakdown, and people would bomb out.
Paul's title for the video was actually "Terribly Awkward" or something, but I went with this partially for that very reason. Turns out it was a good idea!
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 29 Jul 2014, 13:18

I believe the original title was "Truly Fearsome" but it seems like making the title more explicit was the right call.
Aydin225
First Video: arms race

Postby Aydin225 » 29 Jul 2014, 18:23

God damn you guys.

Just so freaking perfect. This may have been Kathleen's best role in LRR history, just hit all the subtle notes of snippy host so perfectly.

"As you know its tradition at my parties for everyone to tell a joke, Jeff you start." I hurt myself in surprise laughter at that line. So freaking good.

I agree that the title slightly giving away the turn was a good move. I don't have social anxiety myself, but I've never enjoyed awkward situation humor. Knowing there was going to be a very clear turn made the first bit fun instead of cringeworthy
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 29 Jul 2014, 19:55

Graham wrote:
King Kool wrote:I was going to say.. maybe it shouldn't have been titled Social Anxiety Fear Factor, since that kinda gives part of the game away, but then again, if it was called "Awkward!" then you might think the whole thing was just making fun of anxiety until the Buttstallation style breakdown, and people would bomb out.
Paul's title for the video was actually "Terribly Awkward" or something, but I went with this partially for that very reason. Turns out it was a good idea!

I believe "Awkward!" was the original title of Somebody has to Change, wasn't it?
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 29 Jul 2014, 20:20

Add me to the list of people for whom this hits way too close to home.

LRR does cringe comedy. And wow does it ever make you cringe.

Myself, I actually paused the video when it was still a backer exclusive, at about the 15-second mark, and didn't come back to it today just out of dread. Then, halfway through Paul's effort, I had to pause the video and take a few deep breaths before continuing.
There is a noticeable, tangible power present in the sketch when Paul pushes the button. Like a concentrated burst of catharsis.
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
emberBecky
First Video: Pocket Planes

Postby emberBecky » 30 Jul 2014, 02:11

I liked this sketch a lot. The first part was kind of like a nightmare acted out. And it was very well acted by Paul, which was actually the most uncomfortable part about it because I really felt for him. Kathleen was amazing too. She was like the embodiment of my paranoia about what people "really" think about me. Cam and James were also great as nightmare people. Also loved seeing Jer as Jeremy Michaels again.

The sketch as a whole was cathartic for me. I can definitely relate. I was impressed at the balance struck by finding the humor in the awkward situations rather than just pointing and laughing at the suffering guy (Big Bang Theory writers should watch this and take notes). Plus I can amuse myself while I'm at work by coming up with my own personalized segments for "Social Anxiety Fear Factor." =P

Actually, if you were to film me at PAX next month, you'd pretty much have an episode of this show. It will be my first time at a convention, my first time traveling alone, and I'll be sharing a hotel room with strangers. Oh and I'm an omeganaut, apparently, but that hasn't fully sunk in yet. :shock:
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 30 Jul 2014, 09:34

emberBecky wrote:Actually, if you were to film me at PAX next month, you'd pretty much have an episode of this show. It will be my first time at a convention, my first time traveling alone, and I'll be sharing a hotel room with strangers. Oh and I'm an omeganaut, apparently, but that hasn't fully sunk in yet. :shock:

Congrats on being an Omeganaut! And yeah, I think that the PA DVD has an Omeganaut section, right? At least that's what I remember from the 2009 DVD I have.
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 30 Jul 2014, 11:41

Good luck at the Omegathon emberBecky! Have fun with it!
emberBecky
First Video: Pocket Planes

Postby emberBecky » 30 Jul 2014, 22:13

Trisha Lynn wrote: Congrats on being an Omeganaut! And yeah, I think that the PA DVD has an Omeganaut section, right? At least that's what I remember from the 2009 DVD I have.

Thanks! I think I remember watching an online PATV about the Omegathon, but maybe I'm just remembering PAX episodes. Either way, I should get me them DVDs. :D Also I'll probably watch some old Omegathon events on youtube.

Graham wrote:Good luck at the Omegathon emberBecky! Have fun with it!

Aww thanks, Graham. :D
I think I maxed out my terror levels when I received the phone call from Khoo (during which my knees stopped functioning as knees) so I'm optimistic that I can cope okay and have fun.

Err... and sorry if I sorta made this thread about me. I loved the video and it helps to laugh at my fear a little.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”