Dinosaur

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 25 Feb 2007, 14:16

Melendwyr wrote:
3mm4 wrote:Is this a 'meter/metre' comment?

No. It's a question.

Say goodnight, Gracie.

what?
Andy

Postby Andy » 25 Feb 2007, 15:18

It's a reference to the old Burns and Allen television show and their brand of vaudeville-esque humour.

At the end of the show, George Burns would say, "Say goodnight, Gracie".
And Gracie Allen would say, "Goodnight Gracie".
Time flies like an arrow;
Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 25 Feb 2007, 18:30

3mm4 wrote:
Melendwyr wrote:
3mm4 wrote:Is this a 'meter/metre' comment?

No. It's a question.

Say goodnight, Gracie.

what?

Totally over her head.
I can't think of a signature.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 25 Feb 2007, 21:15

It's basically the archetypical example of a specific kind of category error.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 25 Feb 2007, 21:58

I lawled at the phrase "archetypal comedy error."
I can't think of a signature.
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 25 Feb 2007, 22:28

After watching it again, I have to agree that Graham could use a bit more curdle in his blood when he screams, though it doesn't detract from the video at all.

And yes. This post was just an excuse to use the phrase "Graham could use a bit more curdle in his blood."
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 25 Feb 2007, 22:31

I take offense at the statement that American spellings are "stupid and wrong".

A language is based on societal acceptance, much like currency, and simply because one nation uses pounds and another uses dollars, doesn't mean the dollar is stupid and wrong.

Due to an international upbringing, I'm in the unique position of being well versed in both traditional English and American English, and I tend to prefer to use the American spellings because they're generally shorter and more sensible in their spellings. That's my choice and its based on practicality and common usage.

Now, when in England I don't mock the English for using their societal spellings, rather I try to adopt the English regional vocabularies and manners of speech for myself. In my own writing I may prefer gray to grey, but I don't balk when I see a distance written in 'metres'. I accept it for what it is, a regional quirk, and expect others to do the same regarding my habits and choice of spelling.

You can be as big a traditionalist as you like, but at some point you do start sounding hypocritical. Want to consider a variant of a language wrong because it's not traditional? Then take up speaking bloody Anglo-Saxon. In this day and age tradition without meaning or value is bunk, so please don't call someone else's dialect 'stupid and wrong'.

Furthermore, English is such a huge amalgam of countless other languages that it's not even funny. German, French, Gaelic (Irish as some say), Norwegian, Latin, and Greek influences all make up a huge portion of the language, certainly enough to scare the Old English out of anyone. Our sentence structure, phrasing, definitions, and even spellings have constantly been modified, copied, borrowed, stolen, mistranscribed, and otherwise blended and mutilated from countless sources. English is as non-standard as language gets!

Anywho, I've ranted long enough and the point is made. Open your mind to new horizons and try to embrace new and different things for what they are, language or otherwise.

~Alja-Markir~
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 25 Feb 2007, 23:02

Alja-Markir wrote:I take offense at the statement that American spellings are "stupid and wrong".

A language is based on societal acceptance, much like currency, and simply because one nation uses pounds and another uses dollars, doesn't mean the dollar is stupid and wrong.

Due to an international upbringing, I'm in the unique position of being well versed in both traditional English and American English, and I tend to prefer to use the American spellings because they're generally shorter and more sensible in their spellings. That's my choice and its based on practicality and common usage.

Now, when in England I don't mock the English for using their societal spellings, rather I try to adopt the English regional vocabularies and manners of speech for myself. In my own writing I may prefer gray to grey, but I don't balk when I see a distance written in 'metres'. I accept it for what it is, a regional quirk, and expect others to do the same regarding my habits and choice of spelling.

You can be as big a traditionalist as you like, but at some point you do start sounding hypocritical. Want to consider a variant of a language wrong because it's not traditional? Then take up speaking bloody Anglo-Saxon. In this day and age tradition without meaning or value is bunk, so please don't call someone else's dialect 'stupid and wrong'.

Furthermore, English is such a huge amalgam of countless other languages that it's not even funny. German, French, Gaelic (Irish as some say), Norwegian, Latin, and Greek influences all make up a huge portion of the language, certainly enough to scare the Old English out of anyone. Our sentence structure, phrasing, definitions, and even spellings have constantly been modified, copied, borrowed, stolen, mistranscribed, and otherwise blended and mutilated from countless sources. English is as non-standard as language gets!

Anywho, I've ranted long enough and the point is made. Open your mind to new horizons and try to embrace new and different things for what they are, language or otherwise.

~Alja-Markir~

for the record, and despite the fact that you didn't quote my statement, I called american english wrong as a point of humour. naturally it isn't wrong, it's merely representative of a different linguistic tradition. I think you're taking the argument I (intentionally) started for humour's sake just a little too seriously. We're simply poking fun.

(LAWL AMERICANS ARE DIFFERENT FROM CANADIANS)

-m

I am not angry at you.
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person

Postby NecroVale » 25 Feb 2007, 23:30

Matt. I'm very displeased with your performance in the video. It was totally sub par compared to your other brilliant displays like in "The Morning After" or "Ways to Abuse Shaolin." You are loosing your touch. You need to find a way out of those boring speaking roles and make these videos more awesome!!! :P
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 25 Feb 2007, 23:37

*kills self*

-m

I am not angry at you.
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 25 Feb 2007, 23:47

Matt wrote:*kills self*

-m

Ooh, Death, the ultimate silence.

Matt will now be as a god!!! A dead, quiet, awesome in the videos god...
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 26 Feb 2007, 00:28

Matt wrote:for the record, and despite the fact that you didn't quote my statement, I called american english wrong as a point of humour.

That's because I said that. :) But I, too, was saying it in a comical fashion. I suppose...

Andy

Postby Andy » 26 Feb 2007, 00:52

That's the bloody problem with the communication on the internet.

Irony doesn't come across very well and then people get offended.

[irony] Lets go back to chiseling information into rocks. [/irony]
Time flies like an arrow;

Fruit flies like a banana.

-Groucho Marx
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 26 Feb 2007, 06:17

þou hast forgotten to smile.
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 26 Feb 2007, 06:59

No, I actually am saying the British spellings are wrong. American spelling is generally less wrong, although still grossly horrible.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
'"
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 26 Feb 2007, 07:12

The text! It fails to convey tone and sarcasm! Nooooo!

Technology has failed us. We must now kung fu fight.

Appologies on my behalf. I've actually met people who seriously believe in tradtionalist English. They get uppity sometimes, and it weirds me out. I suppose I jumped the gun a bit.

Again, my bad.

~Alja-Markir~

Also, Melendwyr, they may be less.. uhh.... logical spellings sometimes, but honestly, it is just a regional quirk.

Example - I've personally heard (and used) soda, pop, soda pop, coke, fizzy drinks, lolly water, minerals, ginger, dope, cold drinks, tonics, and fizzers to describe carbonated soft drinks and colas in general. Several of those are becoming archaic, and a number make no sense unless you know the culture that uses them, but they're all perfectly acceptable, if a bit odd.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 26 Feb 2007, 07:23

Alja-Markir wrote: but they're all perfectly acceptable, if a bit odd.

I think that rather depends on who's doing the accepting.
'"
Mouse

Postby Mouse » 26 Feb 2007, 07:26

Video, I loved. Blood-curling scream...pretty sad. Mello could do better.
-Holy kleenex, Batman, it was right under our noses the whole time!
-Satan wears a bucket hat!
-If tin whistles are made of tin, what are fog horns made of?
-Lewis has AIDS
-Meddle ye not with dragons, for ye are crunchy and good with ketchup
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 26 Feb 2007, 07:30

Alja-Markir wrote:Example - I've personally heard (and used) soda, pop, soda pop, coke, fizzy drinks, lolly water, minerals, ginger, dope, cold drinks, tonics, and fizzers to describe carbonated soft drinks and colas in general. Several of those are becoming archaic, and a number make no sense unless you know the culture that uses them, but they're all perfectly acceptable, if a bit odd.

What about lemonade? ^^
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers

Postby Lord Chrusher » 26 Feb 2007, 08:33

Lemonade is usually not carbonated. I prefer to think of them as solutions of simple sugars in carbonic acid.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 26 Feb 2007, 08:47

According to Wikipedia it is, outside of North-America ^^
blackdragontaz
The Goddamn Batman

Postby blackdragontaz » 26 Feb 2007, 09:15

Amazing guys. I thought it was going to be a Python parody at first.

"This dino is no more! It has ceased to be."
"Well, I'd better replace it, then. [takes a quick peek behind counter] Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh, we're right out of dinosaurs."

Still hilarious the direction you went with it. Especially trying to decide what Paul was.
Dreamfather

Postby Dreamfather » 26 Feb 2007, 22:10

Oh man you guys. Oh man. I was busting up when you had the picture of him in the book. That was priceless.

ROFFLE COASTER
about (american pronunciation)
DontPanic

Postby DontPanic » 27 Feb 2007, 10:31

Lord Chrusher wrote:Lemonade is usually not carbonated. I prefer to think of them as solutions of simple sugars in carbonic acid.

I take this time to point out my new love of lemonade and club soda.

Also: video rocked, Pauls a god, excellent artistic work on the drawing. Cheers
I am going to go watch a Image
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 27 Feb 2007, 21:13

Again..how tall did they say a "T-rex" is?
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”