Dinosaur

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
The Thrill

Postby The Thrill » 23 Feb 2007, 18:39

Lord Chrusher wrote:
Melendwyr wrote:I was surprised that the unit of 'feet' was used, given that LRR's in the Land of Metric.

Though Canada is officially a metric country, imperial measures are often used. In construction everything is in imperial. You are far more likely to say that I am six foot one than say that your are 1.85 m. The dinosaur book could have been American but the newscast would have likely used metric.

I don't know about other parts of the country but in Kingston (in between Toronto and Ottawa) we use imperial for height, length and weight (feet, inches and pounds) but for distances and measuring liquids we use metric (km, cups, litres).

I'd like to note that in my experience metric is just about useless for tradespeople. It's so much easier to go by 1/16ths in inches instead of millimeters (or is it millimetres? I can never remember because some are one way and some are the other), and in my high school shop classes we used imperial measurements all but exclusively.
I'm a very boring person.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 23 Feb 2007, 18:42

millimeters
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 23 Feb 2007, 18:48

i'm the only geek who thought Paul looked like King Koopa from the Super Mario Bros movie?

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 23 Feb 2007, 19:45

Either meter or metre is correct although meter is far more common in Canada.
Adding 17 mm to 23.6 cm is easier than adding 11/16'' to 9 9/32 ''.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 23 Feb 2007, 19:58

Lord Chrusher wrote:Either meter or metre is correct although meter is far more common in Canada.
Adding 17 mm to 23.6 cm is easier than adding 11/16'' to 9 9/32 ''.

11/16+9 9/32 = 22/32 + 9 9/32 = 9 31/32

17mm + 23.6cm = 1.7cm + 23.6cm = 25.3cm

same # of steps for each. I find the fractions easer myself, but I'm so used to it i find it no big deal. Still gotta convert things though.

in schools in Canada they don't tell you to use metre vs meter? In the Us we're always told to use "armor" vs "armour", etc. (I prefer "armour", go figure!).
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person

Postby NecroVale » 23 Feb 2007, 20:44

When I heard Paul say that he was a dinosaur, I had to go back and listen again to make sure I heard right. It was hillarious seeing Paul's picture under T-Rex.
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 23 Feb 2007, 21:18

I was waiting for graham to say you are a retard the WHOLE TIME.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 23 Feb 2007, 21:29

Ya, I kept expecting a different ending too. I thought Paul was going to pull out a birthday card which said he was now a dinosaur. Haha

But I think the fact that Graham took him so seriously was great, and the illustartions were awesome!!! And yes, the cop and detective in the background was the icing on the dino cake :)
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
umbrellaless

Postby umbrellaless » 23 Feb 2007, 21:32

I'm left with so many question! Like, how did Paul become a dinosaur? Was he something before, or was he just born? If a T-Rex looks like Paul, then what does the dinosaur that used to be a T-Rex look like?!
"When you do not speak, other people presume you to be deaf or feeble-minded and promptly make a show of their own limitations"
zombine
Location: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Postby zombine » 23 Feb 2007, 21:46

I didn't even know that there were zombie dinosaurs. Did paul escape from Jurassic park?
Did someone leave my cake out in the rain while all the dinosaurs were running wild?
eiopqrtuwy
Smartest SpamBot Ever
First Video: Rejected 'Get a Mac' Ad's

Postby eiopqrtuwy » 23 Feb 2007, 21:48

mistyladybug wrote:I'm not done watching it yet, I just thought to comment that I find it pretty funny that I can see Graham's reflection in the mirror when he supposedly went to look for dino food in the back.

Actually it was done just the way you would expect: there wasnt't actually a time lapse. In the reflections you can see Neil starting at the counter and walking towards the back about 10 steps before he pauses, realizes that dinosaur food is too broad of a search term, and then walks back to ask Paul.

I enjoyed the video, it was pretty funny.

And The dinosaur pages actualy had valid dinosaur information, impressive :!: but that also means the T-rex page didnt actually describe Paul at all like Neil said it did. "(14-16.6ft) tail", oh well.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 23 Feb 2007, 22:37

eiopqrtuwy wrote:In the reflections you can see Neil starting at the counter and walking towards the back about 10 steps before he pauses, realizes that dinosaur food is too broad of a search term, and then walks back to ask Paul.

Yes, good. Go with that.
anotherearth

Re: Dinosaur

Postby anotherearth » 23 Feb 2007, 22:51

Great video!

(Graham, for the love of God -please practice screaming!) :)
Tiger1313

Postby Tiger1313 » 23 Feb 2007, 23:04

Very nice. I have no idea how Paul came up with this idea but it worked on so many levels.

I was expecting Paul to start shaking hands with Graham to thank him and then bite him not lunge over the counter.

The reason Steve Clark wasn't the reporter was because he was suspended for swearing on air so he had to be replaced. If the news would then have gone back to Hal Johnson with Paul wearing the same suit looking nervous it also would have been awesome.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 23 Feb 2007, 23:05

The Happy Friar wrote:in schools in Canada they don't tell you to use metre vs meter? In the Us we're always told to use "armor" vs "armour", etc. (I prefer "armour", go figure!).

lol, they say that because American English makes a point of spelling things the non-British (aka. the wrong) way. in Canada we speak and write in standard English, so we are actually taught the correct spellings (metre, litre, armour, etc.) but since we deal with americans far more often than people of other english speaking nationalities, and our word processors come from the states, most teachers typically let the american spellings (liter, meter, armor) fly. but aside from the states, every other english speaking nation on the planet spells things our way :p

The Happy Friar wrote:11/16+9 9/32 = 22/32 + 9 9/32 = 9 31/32

17mm + 23.6cm = 1.7cm + 23.6cm = 25.3cm

same # of steps for each. I find the fractions easer myself, but I'm so used to it i find it no big deal. Still gotta convert things though.

if you hadn't learned on the fractions, you probably wouldn't find them easier to do. base 10 decimal calculations are far more efficient, simply because converting them requires no changes to the numbers themselves; which makes it faster and easier to do the calculations in your head. I'd put forward that most anyone trained on the decimals could do that calculation without even consciously making the conversion, which you couldn't do with the fractions.

The Thrill wrote: but for distances and measuring liquids we use metric (km, cups, litres).

cups is an imperial measure, not a metric one. we only use the term as short hand, because one cup happens to correspond to 250mL.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers

Postby Lord Chrusher » 24 Feb 2007, 00:10

The Thrill wrote:
I don't know about other parts of the country but in Kingston (in between Toronto and Ottawa) we use imperial for height, length and weight (feet, inches and pounds) but for distances and measuring liquids we use metric (km, cups, litres).

That is really smart. Use different units to measure the same dimension - height, length and distance are all the same and should be measured in meters.

I have to deal with everything every thing from ångströms (10^-10m) to parsecs (3.09*10^16m), electron volts (1.78*10-36kg) to solar masses (1.98*10^30kg) in physics and astronomy
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
protospasm

Long time listener - First time caller...

Postby protospasm » 24 Feb 2007, 00:28

Were I to find out I were a dinosaur, I'd not only eat Graham but get a puppy to go... late night snack and all. Anyways, great work! I've been watching this site for awhile now, and only now did the subject of cannibalism lure me out (well, actually no - dinosaur and human are different I guess).

-edit: Upon rewatch, I conclude there are no puppies to be found in the store; therefore Paul MUST eat Graham with no to go order; my apologies for the presumption.
Last edited by protospasm on 24 Feb 2007, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 24 Feb 2007, 00:35

Was "Neil" a reference to "Dinosaur Neil" from The Tick?

And Graham, I would totally love a copy of the book cover :D
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 24 Feb 2007, 00:48

I love dinosaurs!!!

HURRAY for this video!!!
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 24 Feb 2007, 03:06

Great video guys, the tie in from rapid fire made this video awesome!
i have 2 questions though:

1. Paul did you get a new suit?

2. How did you get this location?
CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
owl+ bungee cord= my arse
First Video: I do not remember it was years ago.

Postby owl+ bungee cord= my arse » 24 Feb 2007, 04:12

So he's only been a dinosaur for a few days yet he's fully grown. When will those crazy scientist's learn that only Santa can play god without it backfiring. Did they not see jurassic park or any other movie where scientist's play god? No matter what safety precautions they use all of them fail at the same time and someone dies.

Another thing if he's fully grown in a few days would that mean he'll die of old age in a few more days?
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 24 Feb 2007, 06:00

Tiger1313 wrote:Very nice. I have no idea how Paul came up with this idea but it worked on so many levels.
Tensen01 wrote this script. We have no idea how he came up with this idea.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 24 Feb 2007, 06:03

Matt wrote:lol, they say that because American English makes a point of spelling things the non-British (aka. the wrong) way. in Canada we speak and write in standard English, so we are actually taught the correct spellings (metre, litre, armour, etc.) but since we deal with americans far more often than people of other english speaking nationalities, and our word processors come from the states, most teachers typically let the american spellings (liter, meter, armor) fly. but aside from the states, every other english speaking nation on the planet spells things our way :p

Dude, English's orthography is messed up enough. The American spellings are generally more sensible, and at the very least are phonetic. After all, the word is pronounced 'lee-ter', not 'lee-truh'.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 24 Feb 2007, 08:42

just because the spelling is more sensible, doesn't make it right.

-m

I am not angry at you.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 24 Feb 2007, 08:57

I'm going to create my completely own spelling and force it on the world,
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”