GTA IV Trailer

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 28 Apr 2008, 15:31

They've shot their own time lapse before. The time-lapse and pan-down shot would be a little more difficult but not impossible.

And the walking w/ different hats would be a very tricky thing to pull off. If there's a trick to it, I'll hope it's on the podcast.

And I don't know what you people complaining it was too slow are complaining about.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 28 Apr 2008, 15:34

Ok, downloaded it, and then watched, and laughed triumphantly.

Great video, I love all the little bits that really don't fit in, they're what make it funny because it's otherwise just a really serious ad.

Speaking of which, no ad this time? Have you gotten rich from the shirts already or have you given up all hope of doing so?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 28 Apr 2008, 15:45

MasterKuno wrote:Now, 20 bucks to the one who can name what movie the "cityscape in fast motion" is from....

Well, the music (as with the music in the original trailer) is from Koyanisquatssi. The footage of the skyline we used is from archive.org.
MasterKuno

Postby MasterKuno » 28 Apr 2008, 15:49

Damn.... I did not think anyone would have seen that movie... well played sir!

*gives Graham $20*

EDIT: Spelling police on Graham! "Koyaanisqatsi" Now gimme back my 20! :P
DontPanic

Postby DontPanic » 28 Apr 2008, 15:51

Graham wrote:
MasterKuno wrote:Now, 20 bucks to the one who can name what movie the "cityscape in fast motion" is from....

Well, the music (as with the music in the original trailer) is from Koyanisquatssi. The footage of the skyline we used is from archive.org.

Watch Koyanisquatssi when you want to see how fascinated you can become with detaching yourself from your body.
I am going to go watch a Image
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 28 Apr 2008, 16:02

Concise and made of win.

~Alja~
Mechsae

Postby Mechsae » 28 Apr 2008, 16:22

I loved it!

Granted I didn't have a laugh out loud moment untill Paul's character walks into the pole, but still completely awesome!

Now I just wish more people at the midnight release will have known of this...
Daniel
First Video: The first one

Postby Daniel » 28 Apr 2008, 16:37

This might be the first time I've laughed so hard at a video that tears leaked out of the corners of my eyes. Loved it. Two things I thought were especially impressive:
you were ok with having a minute or so at the beginning without any laughs, just setting the scene and creating versimilitude. And those shots were lovely!
And you are now confident and loose enough, by doing a video every week, to use inspirations that happen during the shooting to make it better. I say that because I *bet* that the idea to wear that silly hat during the last shot came to you during the sequence of filming all the different hats. And that shot made it.

It was even funnier before I saw the exact thing it was parodying, because it captures so well the goofy fake toughness that franchise and modern video games in general shoot for combined with their shaky execution (especially in the accents), but it's still very funny. May it surpass your Halo-cashing-in video!
The R

Postby The R » 28 Apr 2008, 16:38

MasterKuno wrote:Damn.... I did not think anyone would have seen that movie... well played sir!

*gives Graham $20*

EDIT: Spelling police on Graham! "Koyaanisqatsi" Now gimme back my 20! :P

I have, and it is one of the best movies I have ever seen.... even though it might be one of the most depressing things you have ever seen.

Also Powasquatsi is really good too. Another amazing soundtrack by Philip Glass. But the third one was kinda lame.
Woland

Postby Woland » 28 Apr 2008, 16:40

Digg it!

DIGG IT NOW!
Daniel
First Video: The first one

Postby Daniel » 28 Apr 2008, 16:40

One worry: isn't the Koyaanisqatsi music copyright?
Mats

Postby Mats » 28 Apr 2008, 16:53

Really nice editing and camera work there.

This should be the trailer for the next GTA series called "Grand Theft Auto: Matt and Graham's Apartment" Where you get 10 Gamer points for every game you finish in the appartment. And yes, all games will be in full version. This would bring a new meaning to the word "Bundled".

///MJ
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 28 Apr 2008, 16:59

This was excellent! It accurately describes the opening phrase: "Life is complicated."

Lacerta wrote:GTA + Small Time = GTA: Victoria ?

And I was just thinking this guy could go be a character in his own regard. After reading what Lacerta posted I'm thinking this guy would be pretty good in another Small Time, as the allegedly big time boss that these guys encounter.

Upon watching this video a second time I noticed something: When Russian paul walks into the pole, he's staring right at it. All the previous shots that had been montaged together he was looking straight ahead, except for the one in which he ran into the pole. I laughed again.
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 28 Apr 2008, 17:02

Daniel wrote:One worry: isn't the Koyaanisqatsi music copyright?

Yeeees...
We're getting away with it because of parody, despite not actually parodying the music itself... I...

sssshhh...
CaesarMagnus

Postby CaesarMagnus » 28 Apr 2008, 17:05

Most of the technical stuff was pretty well done.
It followed the original trailer pretty well. The part with Paul walking with the various backgrounds and hats worked well.

But I thought it was a bit overly drawn out. I started worrying the list would go on forever. For me the overall comic value was: meh. :?

I guess in one sense you were limited by the trailer since it was a parody of that and not the game itself, because I know you guys could break away from that and do some pretty funny stuff GTA style. :idea:
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 28 Apr 2008, 17:17

Megas3300

Postby Megas3300 » 28 Apr 2008, 17:22

Found Hilarious,
Needed more people.
blazingarrow

Postby blazingarrow » 28 Apr 2008, 17:27

Loved it!

The sheer randomness in Paul's list fit perfectly into it.
And bonus points for all the hats. :P

Another great video guys.
MIT FTW
TheSugarRay

Postby TheSugarRay » 28 Apr 2008, 17:29

I loved this video. All the Paul that anyone could dare to want in two and a half minutes. I expect most of the crew to say that they are playing GTA in the next podcast. I noticed in one of the opening shots that there is a bug on the camera. Is that Suzie Leviwitz thing true?
-This is a varied comment.
...or a baby
Don't fondle energy coils.
kimmeekimkim

Postby kimmeekimkim » 28 Apr 2008, 17:31

A solid parody of game previews, and high production value (I shudder at the thought of how many hours were spent on it - thank you!) Paul, also brilliant, and yes, without glasses... humina.

Has anyone else walked into metal poles while lost in inner monologue? I know I have! I laughed harder because I related to it!

oh yes! I dugg it! OTHERS DO SO!
Last edited by kimmeekimkim on 28 Apr 2008, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
mmeh36

Postby mmeh36 » 28 Apr 2008, 17:31

I think actually listening to how ridiculous the list got was the funniest part. From killing to making balloon animals, it was pretty funny. Although the pole was classic. I did love Paul in a hockey mask though. Did he steal it from Mr. Tiddlywinks?
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 28 Apr 2008, 17:37

OMFG SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
i dont know what's happening anymore
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 28 Apr 2008, 18:46

mmeh36 wrote:I think actually listening to how ridiculous the list got was the funniest part. From killing to making balloon animals, it was pretty funny. Although the pole was classic. I did love Paul in a hockey mask though. Did he steal it from Mr. Tiddlywinks?

GASP! Could this Russian guy, Niko, have killed Mr Tiddlywinks!?!?

Only one way to find out...

Mr. Tiddlywinks... Mr. Tiddlywinks... Did Russian Paul kill you?
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.

I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Kwiksilva

Postby Kwiksilva » 28 Apr 2008, 18:54

That video was awesome for people...namely myself. I loved the seamles cutting of paul walking...and then hitting the pole...it was a winning vid in all aspects.
Nutella is quite possibly the second coming of Christ in spreadable form. -Graham
DJScythe15
First Video: Rejected Wii Play Games

Postby DJScythe15 » 28 Apr 2008, 19:01

Nice parody, and this is coming from someone who doesn't have a PS3 or Xbox 360 and isn't a fan of GTA. *is shot and mauled by GTA fans*

Clever writing, funny delivery, great camera work, and hilarious funny hat sequence: I approve! Also, another good way to get this dugg even more would be to link or suggest linking it in a few gaming blogs. *cough*Joystiq*cough*Kotaku*cough*
I tend to be overly apologetic. Sorry about that.

Game Info:
Steam: djscythe15
Pokemon White: DJScy / FC:0690-4616-8450

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”