An Interview with Uwe Boll

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Jakkle

Postby Jakkle » 28 May 2008, 03:03

CyberTractor wrote:Hate to tell you this, Jakkie, but Allen! has built up quite the reputation here for being pretty awesome and not pertaining to phail.

You're wrong on your usage of the word, so deal with it quietly, or deal with the onslaught of text-based whiplashes that Allen! and probably others of the board will throw at you until you give up or they get bored of it.

Fine.
I was quite enjoying being a fledgling poster pissing off the regulars. Almost nostalgic. but, okay, game over.

In any case; I was wrong in correcting pronunciation, since it's a different word to the similar sounding one we use in blighty to mean the same thing. My mistake.
Moves like a leopard,
his feet padding down, down, down...
One more animal, one more fox to slip away,
feel the mandible,
of the leopard and his prey.
Jakkle

Postby Jakkle » 28 May 2008, 03:09

Allen! wrote:Jakkle, you STILL fail. Why are you getting pissy about Canadians for being Canadian? We didn't claim any bullshit about how we're superior than you, and yet HERE YOU ARE, trying to do it to us?

True story, nobody cares that you're British. It doesn't make you better than us, and it doesn't make you worse, much as it doesn't make Canadians better than Americans, or Americans than British.

So sit the hell down, and nurse your wounded pride in ways other than lashing out at people for no bloody reason. Vaughn spat at CT for trying to play the "We're better than you because..." card, and played the same back at him.

We're people, man, and if you can't listen - be it to the context of a word, a simple explanation, or me telling you to sit your ass down - then you'd best shove off, so far as I am concerned.

Once again I feel I must address your unwarranted arrogance, whilst apologizing for my own at the same time.

Sorry, in the future I'll make it very clear when I'm using irony, sarcasm and parody. I just assumed that playing the pompous pom and using the same worn out petty internet point scoring arguments would be interpreted as a joke. Maybe I was wrong.

I agree with all that you've said above, with the caveat that I have no wounded pride, only the mild disappointment that the joke I was enjoying was enjoyed only by myself.
Moves like a leopard,

his feet padding down, down, down...

One more animal, one more fox to slip away,

feel the mandible,

of the leopard and his prey.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 28 May 2008, 03:26

Sarcasm on the internet.

I don't get it.
I can't think of a signature.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 28 May 2008, 03:30

I find it amusing that tho' half of the pages here are devoted to the video, the other half are discussing the proper pronunciation of a word I didn't even notice in the video any of the times I've watched it.

Fight on, Men! (grabs popcorn)
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 28 May 2008, 03:49

Graham referred to Boll as an "Internet fuhrer" as he prefaced the interview.
Michiel

Postby Michiel » 28 May 2008, 08:15

[edit]
Last edited by Michiel on 26 Oct 2008, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
SecondChild

Postby SecondChild » 28 May 2008, 08:32

Wow, I have to admit that I have some semblance of respect for Uwe Boll, now.

I'm still glad Kojima won't let him direct a Metal Gear movie, though. =)
SecondChild

Postby SecondChild » 28 May 2008, 08:35

Keith K wrote:Graham referred to Boll as an "Internet fuhrer" as he prefaced the interview.

LOL, that was the word my mind first set upon, as well.

Could this cause a fuhrer furor?
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 28 May 2008, 09:25

Wow, people must have a lot of spare time. Seriously, arguing about a word?

Also i showed a lot of my mates this vid, and they have been saying "wow its really changed my opinion of him! but i still don't like his movies". its about the same for me.. but yeh, he still makes terrible movies imo.
CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 28 May 2008, 09:48

My PEEN is larger than you peen and thicker cos I am an Irish-Native American!!! And don't ask me how!!!
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Pretzelcoatl
The Feathered Pretzel

Postby Pretzelcoatl » 28 May 2008, 11:21

Damn your cultural differences!
"Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
~Douglas Adams
Doctor Devious

Postby Doctor Devious » 28 May 2008, 11:48

Man, I forgot to post something yesterday, and now there's over 9000 replies.

You guys did a great job, the interview was surprisingly professional. Not that I thought LRR couldn't be that way, of course you are, but I honestly can't think of anyone else sitting down, having coffee, and sitting under a tree with a man that's created so much rage over the internet.

But I'm sure it's apparent that you guys were wrong on one respect, it looks like it HAS changed people's opinions of him, or at least many of whom who have seen this video, myself included.

Great job!
http://deviousgrievous.deviantart.com/
It is the nature of man to make monsters, and it is the nature of monsters to destroy their makers.
Ganondorf

Postby Ganondorf » 28 May 2008, 12:29

I must say, after seeing this video, I have a lot more respect for the man. Before this I only heard about him from friends. ("Boll Bashers") This video cleared up quite some misunderstandings about him.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 28 May 2008, 13:12

Keith K wrote:Graham referred to Boll as an "Internet fuhrer" as he prefaced the interview.

Internet Furor - An uproar taking place on the internet, such as the one surrounding Dr. Boll and his movies.

Internet Führer - Since Führer is simply Deutsch for "leader", I would assume this would refer to no one at all, as the internet has proven quite plainly, it has no leader.

Even if you want to pick up on other connotations, such as Fascism, that still doesn't make sense. Uwe Boll is not a leader of anything really, and if you want to tie him to a defunct political movement based simply on his ethnicity, then you must think all Americans hate Communism and other ridiculous generalizations.

It's not at all likely that Graham meant anything other than the first option, so bugger off already.

~Alja~
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 28 May 2008, 13:36

Alja-Markir wrote:It's not at all likely that Graham meant anything other than the first option, so bugger off already.

Thank you.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 28 May 2008, 13:53

Learn 2 vocabulary, folks.

Graham was being fairly neutral, even conciliatory, throughout the entire video. He did not in any way suggest connections to German fascism or Hitler.

I've always thought of Boll as more as a cinematic Trotsky, anyway.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 28 May 2008, 14:03

Melendwyr wrote:I've always thought of Boll as more as a cinematic Trotsky, anyway.

Explain. I'm intrigued.
By intrigued, I mean I'm going to ask you now, and check back in a couple hours to see if you've answered yet. I guess I'm Internet Intrigued, like when you're bored and you click the Stumble button a half dozen times, and it comes up with a picture of some leaves in interesting patterns and you think, 'Oh, fuck it, I'm bored. This'll do.'
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 28 May 2008, 14:09

Red Charlie wrote:My PEEN is larger than you peen and thicker cos I am an Irish-Native American!!! And don't ask me how!!!

Irish-Native American? Interesting.

So anyway, mispronunciation is fun.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 28 May 2008, 14:15

Dominic Appleguard wrote:
Melendwyr wrote:I've always thought of Boll as more as a cinematic Trotsky, anyway.

Explain.

Lots of people denounce him vigorously; very few are familiar with his work; in some circles, denouncing him is almost a necessary precondition for being recognized as having good taste.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Lecter

Postby Lecter » 28 May 2008, 14:42

Seriously guys, am I the only one who is annoyed by his accent?
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 28 May 2008, 16:05

Graham wrote:Sorry, StonageRocker, I missed it.

We came to him, sort of.
He was all for doing it, but someone (namely, Tank_Girl) asked on our behalf. It's all in the podcast.

He was totally cool about it too. Any excuse for more publicity for Postal, I guess.

Did he remember you and certain videos that you may have been involved in that were about him?
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 28 May 2008, 16:24

Melendwyr wrote:Lots of people denounce him vigorously; very few are familiar with his work; in some circles, denouncing him is almost a necessary precondition for being recognized as having good taste.

Hmmm...I'm not as sure. Most people who've heard of Trotsky seem awfully sympathetic. Maybe it's just my crazy liberal friends, but in my experience Trotsky has almost always been held up next to Stalin, so that the speaker can say, "See? Not crazy."
Vadim

Postby Vadim » 28 May 2008, 18:59

tak197 wrote:The Starbucks thing was likely his real feelings. As a retail sales associate, I have had customers come in (actually this happened on Monday) and claim they love coming there to shop and do it all the time, and therefore feel entitled to special treatment. In the case of my job, it involves finding a coupon for 20% off one item in the directory for the Outlet complex, and coming back to return one item JUST to get the discount. Of course they don't like it that the associates and managers tell them "No we can't do that because of blah blah blah", so they get upset, throw a hissy fit, and leave as if they will never return. They eventually do, because they "can't give up" shopping at their favorite store.

Boll is no different in this aspect, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at a different Starbucks because that one dicked him around. Does that make him a bad person? No, it makes him one of "those customers", and we all can be like that too, so we are no better than him in that respect.

As for the guy on Kotaku who said that he hates the people who are changing their mind about Boll, I chalk that up to the guy being a closed-minded dickhead who enjoys autoerotic anal sex (ie head stuck up his ass).

Just a thought on that. He might choose to start patronizing one of the many other chains of coffee shop available in Kits. They're really everywhere, and all serve roughly the same stuff. And starbucks is nasty compared to the others...just sayin'.
Oxford
First Video: The Whatever Thing

Postby Oxford » 29 May 2008, 00:42

Doctor Devious wrote:Man, I forgot to post something yesterday, and now there's over 9000 replies.

Dare I say it?

IT'S OVER 9000!
9 out of 10 Americans believe that out of 10 people 1 American will always disagree with the other 9.
Oxford
First Video: The Whatever Thing

Postby Oxford » 29 May 2008, 00:48

Vadim wrote:Just a thought on that. He might choose to start patronizing one of the many other chains of coffee shop available in Kits. They're really everywhere, and all serve roughly the same stuff. And starbucks is nasty compared to the others...just sayin'.

It's true. I hate ordering coffee at Starbucks. The people ahead of me are so specific, "Mocha nonfat latte blah blah blah".

I ask for a coffee, and the guy looks at me like he's waiting for something. Usually it takes him a few seconds to realize that I'm not going to say anything else.

At Timmy's, it's much simpler. Large double double with a boston cream donut.

The breakfast of champions.
9 out of 10 Americans believe that out of 10 people 1 American will always disagree with the other 9.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”