War of Christmas

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Kevco
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Kevco » 22 Dec 2008, 19:55

Kudos to Matt for wrapping the Season 4 DVD in his scene. Not sure if that was very slight product placement (?) or whatever, but I did notice it.

I also think that I might be in the minority, but I do not think that Kate and Kathleen look alike.

Other than that, great holiday video. It makes me wonder what it'd be like if other holidays struck back.
CygnusX1

Postby CygnusX1 » 22 Dec 2008, 20:22

haha, generally a well done video

but when I first read 'war' in the title I assumed the other side was going to fight back. it was more of a christmas massacre.
we sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
http://www.underaglassmoon.wordpress.com
tbug

Postby tbug » 22 Dec 2008, 20:36

CygnusX1 wrote:but when I first read 'war' in the title I assumed the other side was going to fight back. it was more of a christmas massacre.

Dude, it's a ninety minute movie. These scenes were all from the first half hour.
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 22 Dec 2008, 20:53

You know, while watching this, I kept thinking, "What were the onlookers thinking? O.o"

Well played, LRR, well played.
Successfully lurking since 1709.
steelfox

Postby steelfox » 22 Dec 2008, 21:00

Has no one else seen or heard of the movie "Black Christmas?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454082/

It's not exactly the same but my head was trying to make a connection.

Top notch work as usual guys.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 22 Dec 2008, 21:49

Okay let me break this down for you.

T-Shirt Ad: So awesome. I loved it. Khaavren's little face was so cute at the end, with a look of "What... the Fuck?"

The storyline: Actually pretty funny in a twisted way. How many people did you have to talk to to get the Santas? My only critique, storywise. would have been having Santa Matt just totally Hulk out and start attacking people with the Salvation Army bell or something.

The effects: I liked the way they looked and all, but I'm surprised for some of them you didn't add a little bit of a blood effect. Like for James, maybe one or two shattered ornaments and some blood would have made it look more evil.

The Death: Good call.

I leave you with a challenge to the forums: what is he looking at?

EDITS: Because I didn't read the thread prior to posting, I can tell Kathleen and Kate apart (as even though Kate and Kathleen HAD the same hairstyle, now Kathleen is pulling the rihanna hairstyle and has the guts to work it), Inflatable Santas question answered, I didn't notice Jer about to laugh, and having never seen Dr. Who, I really enjoyed it, though it did have elements of other horror movies.

Also, I postulate that Christmas is pissed because NORAD shot down Santa.
Last edited by tak197 on 22 Dec 2008, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 22 Dec 2008, 21:52

tak197 wrote:I leave you with a challenge to the forums: what is he looking at?

Skeletor's dick.

Clearly it isn't Morgan's dick, as his face is not melting.
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 22 Dec 2008, 22:20

I had to wait a few hours between when I saw this was up & when I viewed it because I was waiting for a friend to come over for a LRR Xmas special marathon. I speculated on the photo & caption on the main page but still couldn't predict what you had come up with.

The two types of music overlayed at the beginning was a bit awkward. Overall I don't agree with the choice of music until Graham says "Christmas is coming to town." It was a bit too depressing & not really suspenseful. But then it gets better for the finale.

My favourite bits were with the blow-up Santa decorations & Matt with the wrapping paper. They were silent-acted very well, especially the blow-up Santas themselves. I'm glad to see Tally in more videos too. Also, the empty Santa suit toward the end was just creepy. I know it's comedy & all, but that whole bit was just plain creepy. Nice work.

Morgan getting attacked by the bows was priceless.

Nice use of special effects in the Xmas tree scene with Nate & Kate, & the tree itself was very pretty. I saw reverse acting in there too with the garland coiling around her leg. Neat! ... And yes, I mistook Kate for Kathleen for a moment there. Realize tho', that the similarity isn't that acute when you can hang out with one or both of them all the time. But when you only see them for a few seconds on screen per month it's a tad more challenging to call the difference.

For some reason James getting ornaments dumped on his head reminded me of the BB gun scene in A Christmas Story. Did he get his eye shot out?

Paul is still gorgeous without beard. He appears noticeably younger tho'. He looks like he'd be perfect for more hyper or energetic characters now.

Overall a good video. It could use some tightening in the beginning & maybe a couple better lines but it's certainly re-watchable. My favourite holiday special is still 2007 but I like it so much it's going to be tough to top.

Hey, Matt dies twice in this video!

I'm so sorry to hear about Roscoe P. Jangles III. May he rest in peace. :'-(
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 22 Dec 2008, 22:40

Paul... is so sexy in uniform and beardless. <3 <3 <3 <3

Edit: The titles at the end before the roscoe p. jangles III memorial go by really, really fast.
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

Tetsubo

Postby Tetsubo » 22 Dec 2008, 23:12

Well, you can't really blame Kathleen. There are few things in life better than a warm, comfy bed. Especially if there is a cat.

Great video. I loved the tinsel attack scene. And the bows were great, reminding me of a classic Star Trek episode.

It did come off very Dr. Who but I assumed from the start that was intentional. I also thought of Black Christmas.

This doesn't change the fact that Bill O'Reilly is an ass.
--
Tetsubo
--------------------------------------
Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tetsubo57
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 22 Dec 2008, 23:18

Would it be worth it explaining the Dr. Who similarities to someone who doesn't watch (but still appreciates) Dr. Who?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Adewade

Postby Adewade » 23 Dec 2008, 00:22

Only if your explanation consists of watching Doctor Who.
DmitriW

Postby DmitriW » 23 Dec 2008, 00:23

Evil Jim wrote:Would it be worth it explaining the Dr. Who similarities to someone who doesn't watch (but still appreciates) Dr. Who?

In one episode of Dr. Who (10th Doctor, for the record), called "Blink," there is a race of "quantum-locked" creatures--when they are observed, they appear to be statues of stone, because they ARE stone statues. When unobserved, they're wicked-fast and attack anyone who ventures too close, sending them far into the past and feeding on the potential energy of the victim's now-wasted future.

It was rated the scariest episode EVER by a panel of young kids who rate all Dr. Who episodes, and is one of my personal favorites. The Weeping Angels are invulnerable save for the one vital flaw, and keep racing up behind their desired victim as soon as they can move again--much like the inflatable Santas surrounding Jer and Tally. They're made all the more scary knowing that The Doctor is nowhere to be found--the protagonist of the episode is a normal, human woman, with no knowledge of time travel.

The scene in the "alley" with the three inflatable Santas really calls back to this episode, actually--something very, very similar happened in Blink.

Go look up the episode, it will blow you away.
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 23 Dec 2008, 00:37

DmitriW wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:Would it be worth it explaining the Dr. Who similarities to someone who doesn't watch (but still appreciates) Dr. Who?

In one episode of Dr. Who (10th Doctor, for the record), called "Blink," there is a race of "quantum-locked" creatures--when they are observed, they appear to be statues of stone, because they ARE stone statues. When unobserved, they're wicked-fast and attack anyone who ventures too close, sending them far into the past and feeding on the potential energy of the victim's now-wasted future.

It was rated the scariest episode EVER by a panel of young kids who rate all Dr. Who episodes, and is one of my personal favorites. The Weeping Angels are invulnerable save for the one vital flaw, and keep racing up behind their desired victim as soon as they can move again--much like the inflatable Santas surrounding Jer and Tally. They're made all the more scary knowing that The Doctor is nowhere to be found--the protagonist of the episode is a normal, human woman, with no knowledge of time travel.

The scene in the "alley" with the three inflatable Santas really calls back to this episode, actually--something very, very similar happened in Blink.

dude i loved that episode.
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 23 Dec 2008, 00:42

That was really funny guys. RIP Rosco P. Jangles III
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
DmitriW

Postby DmitriW » 23 Dec 2008, 01:41

Watching yet again...when the tinsel wraps around Kate's leg, am I the only one reminded of that scene from Evil Dead?
teh_steve

awesome

Postby teh_steve » 23 Dec 2008, 02:41

I've gotta say, your visual tricks are getting much much better. The bit with the tinsel wrapping around their throats and necks was AWESOME.
Simply marvellous.

Ps. Matt's looking in better shape, he losing weight?
Oh, and Paul ALMOST suits not having a beard.
Almost.

Merry Christmas LLR, I might go and buy a T-shirt/DVD to celebrate!
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 23 Dec 2008, 02:48

DmitriW wrote:Watching yet again...when the tinsel wraps around Kate's leg, am I the only one reminded of that scene from Evil Dead?

Or that scene from Herbert West: Reanimator.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 23 Dec 2008, 04:19

The music during the first half was a little off, Morgan and/or Paul needed a beret in the army scene, and Jer's last line didn't really work. Worst of all for me was whilst I thought it was hilarious, I also felt really sad that you all died. Like actually sad, I'm in a weird mood today.

Having said that, this is the best LRR sketch since RapStar 64K. I love that in response to the dead pool you had a video where everyone dies. 'Well played'.

Matt wrote:The first time Graham read me the script I commented to him that it sounded maybe a bit too much like a Dr. Who christmas special, but that it was hilarious and unique enough to stand alone. I contend that I was right in both assertions.

-m

I agree, but there's nothing wrong with spoofing Doctor Who. It definitely falls within the LRR region of expertise.

DmitriW wrote:Watching yet again...when the tinsel wraps around Kate's leg, am I the only one reminded of that scene from Evil Dead?

No, I thought that as well, then I cried for my mind.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 23 Dec 2008, 05:12

DmitriW wrote:

Yes, and also my first point of reference was The Runaway Bride (also the 10th Doctor, it was the Season 2 Christmas special I think) where The Doctor and Donna were being chased by mechanical Santas trying to kill them. They were not quantum locked.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 23 Dec 2008, 05:42

I knew it was Kate. Just sayin.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
AeroCmdr
Requires Additional Pylons

Postby AeroCmdr » 23 Dec 2008, 06:20

I enjoyed this video quite a lot. I really liked the evil dead like garland and the Doctor Who like Santas. I think the ornaments being dropped on James' head is my favorite part or the video just for the laugh I got when I saw it.

Really good video overall and may Rosco P. Jangles III rest in piece.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 23 Dec 2008, 06:57

Um, Merry Christmas?

I especially enjoyed the inflatable Santas. I really wish you could've CG'd in a hundred Santas coming over a hill or something in pursuit. And if the budget were there to completely bury Morgan in bows. That said, everything worked.

I loved beardless Paul in this role. Clean-shaven, he looked so much like a British officer from old WWII films, I would've almost had him go with a British accent for the vid (making it a global incident).

I think this is my favorite of the LRR Christmas specials.

P.S., I think Kate and Kathleen can be confused in this video because of the action going on. I didn't notice it was Kate until she was dead on the floor at the end, because I was so focused on the killer Christmas ornaments.
StoneageRocker
Ret-con'd: Correct

Postby StoneageRocker » 23 Dec 2008, 06:58

Bloody Damn Awesome!

That is all I can say, I'm still in shock from the awesome-ness of the video
In England.........

Zed Alpha

Postby Zed Alpha » 23 Dec 2008, 08:35

Wow. That was AWESOME!

After weeks of lackluster vids, you finally pull out the stops and make this wonderful thing.

Thanks.

Furthermore, Kathtleen was bloody adorable in the t-shirt ad, was she not?
Last edited by Zed Alpha on 23 Dec 2008, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Frozengale wrote:You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”