Question for non-pirating peoples

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Question for non-pirating peoples

Postby sdhonda » 21 Mar 2010, 05:24

When you say "Well I'mma not gonna DL that, sry nothx", how often does someone give you a weird look, or try to make you seem like a sucker?

And what do you say to that?
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Question for non-pirating peoples

Postby empath » 21 Mar 2010, 05:40

I really don't care what other people think of my d/l predilections.

(I typically don't d/l music or movies because I'm too lazy and content with what I already have, and I'm currently overwhelmed with a queue of games that I either bought myself or were given as gifts)
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 21 Mar 2010, 06:37

Ignoring them seems to work best, as nothing you say will really make a difference in their opinoin of you.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 21 Mar 2010, 08:39

MotorWaffle wrote:Ignoring them seems to work best, as nothing you say will really make a difference in their opinoin of you.

Pretty much this. I've bought nearly every album I own (all the others were given to me), and same goes with my games, and somehow I'm doing something wrong.

So yeah, just ignore 'em.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 21 Mar 2010, 08:58

I tell them "If I like something enough, why SHOULDN'T they be paid for their work?"
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 21 Mar 2010, 09:54

Darkobra wrote:I tell them "If I like something enough, why SHOULDN'T they be paid for their work?"

+1
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 21 Mar 2010, 10:40

In regards to movies, I won't buy a movie I don't like. However if I DL a movie and I really really like it, I will make it a point to go out and buy the DVD. Although I only buy my dvds from a used place or on sale at target/walmart. I NEVER pay full price.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 21 Mar 2010, 10:43

My typical response was "I work for the gov't, that's illegal... I like getting paid."
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 21 Mar 2010, 10:55

I never have a problem when I'm the one on the moral and ethical high ground.
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 21 Mar 2010, 10:56

I'll support things that I feel are worthy of my money. There's way too much crap out there that i'd be offended if it continued to exist because people had to pay merly to sample it.

I still haven't even opened a good portion of my dvd collection, that I first watched by downloading them.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 21 Mar 2010, 11:11

I buy all my games. The only time I've downloaded is when I can't find my game disk or that one time when my CD exploded in the drive from over use. I have a member of the family who has an R4 card and I hate him because of two reasons. My mum asked what game to get his son and he snubbed her saying how he doesn't need to buy games ever again, he's a dick. And I've plain never liked him. I hope his son's DS gets bricked sometime.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 21 Mar 2010, 11:25

Well, I always say that I've been able to afford movies, books and music, and seeing as I want to spend my life making them, and hope that people will pay me to do that and to get them, I extend the same courtesy to artists I like. I do make two exceptions, however:

-Scanlated comics, for the few I like enough to want to read on an updating basis.
-Anything I cannot buy in the US do to regional/ unavailability. More often than not for movies I get imports these days, since I now have an all region player.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 21 Mar 2010, 11:30

metcarfre wrote:I never have a problem when I'm the one on the moral and ethical high ground.

Don't know why this made me laugh, thanks though
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 21 Mar 2010, 15:58

I don't get odd looks from people or anything when I make that decision, just with some things I'm a real fan of what-ever it may be and I would rather have a physical copy of it with me.
Last edited by Cureless_Poison on 23 Mar 2010, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 21 Mar 2010, 16:14

Keab42 wrote:
Darkobra wrote:I tell them "If I like something enough, why SHOULDN'T they be paid for their work?"

+1

Also +1
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
StoneageRocker
Ret-con'd: Correct

Postby StoneageRocker » 22 Mar 2010, 07:11

As someone who does download, I don't find it wierd if people choose not to. As for why I download, i'm a broke student who can't at the moment afford to pay to get all the dvd's of the films I like.

I said at the moment because once I actaully get a job and earn monies I would like to pay for the film I enjoyed, as hopefully if studios see that the movies I like get good sales then they'll make more of those and less Meet the Spartans (Please God no more).

How on occasion I have downloaded a program, when the people behind it have done something annoying as hell. An example. This program was free, and I had v1 of it, and it was free not a try before you buy. Completely free no strings attached. Now along version 4 of the program comes, and I suddenly find that my v1 is locking me out and demanding I pay for it! I can understand them deciding to make people pay for the newest and latest version, but the retrospective add a price to previous versions?

The other thing that I download is TV shows, seeing as I can't get the ones shown in the US or Canada (18 to Life).

Now these are my reasons to download, and I've made my moral choice on the matter. If you have made the opposite choice it's up to you. I would think anyone that tries to make you seem like a sucker hasn't actually thought the matter through, they're just like magpies ooooh look free shiny stuff.
In England.........

Anatidaephobia
First Video: Green

Postby Anatidaephobia » 22 Mar 2010, 14:14

sdhonda wrote:When you say "Well I'mma not gonna DL that, sry nothx", how often does someone give you a weird look, or try to make you seem like a sucker?

And what do you say to that?

Yes, I do get weird looks. I tell them I don't feel like it's a morally correct thing to do. Generally people understand.
Anatidaephobia - a pervasive, irrational fear that one is being watched by a duck.
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 23 Mar 2010, 05:49

If it's a song, I'll buy it if it's on iTunes. If it's not, I'll d/l it. I usually just netflix movies
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 23 Mar 2010, 08:47

I live in a country where a 60 USD game will retail for 92USD, a DVD that could cost $10, will sell for about $40 and so on, so I will download most of the things I want to try and if they're good, I'll buy them the next time I go to the US.

I wish I could do netflix and other services like audible, but just because those stupid copyright laws, I can't give them my money and I have to pirate the stuff I want ;_;
Ollie, don'tcha know!
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Ollie, don'tcha know! » 23 Mar 2010, 13:05

I'm probably the only person I know who pas for stuff I like. People just don't really understand it, and are always like 'Why don't you just download it?'.
My friend gets a kick out of annoying me by pirating songs because he knows I hate it. I really hate him for that. But yeah, I like to give people money if they've made something that I like.
I think this place is full of spies. I think they're onto me.

Return to “General Discussion”