New Doctor Who (Possible Spoilers)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Re: New Doctor Who (Possible Spoilers)

Postby Gordon Fearman » 14 May 2010, 15:02

No kidding. When did I say that? Like 3 years ago?
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » 14 May 2010, 17:31

Gordon Fearman wrote:No kidding. When did I say that? Like 3 years ago?

Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.
In Soviet Russia Desert Bus crashes Bill twice!
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 14 May 2010, 17:40

Some of us like to wait until it actually airs in our country.

I'm not one of them mind you.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 14 May 2010, 17:43

Of the two of my classmates who watch Doctor Who, one is a Tennant fangirl who doesn't like the new series and doesn't care enough to pirate, and one is an actual English person who somehow fails at the internet and watches it on BBC America.

FFFFFUUUUU-
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 14 May 2010, 17:54

There's a girl I volunteer with at the cat shelter who is such a Tennant fangirl that she hates Matt Smith's doctor on sheer principle, but still watches it every week. Then complains how Elevensies is nothing like The Tenner (these are my nicknames for them), yet mimics how Tennant acted. She leaves me confused.

I find I'm not too hyper critical with this series, indeed with many things that other people seem to be hyper critical of. I guess I always saw it as having its fair share of b-movie camp, and enjoy it for what it is.
I'm enjoying the new season. While maintaining a kind of ominous tone, it still manages to be funny. I'm glad they've included Rory since I groaned so hard at the end of Flesh and Stone when she kisses the Doctor.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 15 May 2010, 12:34

Holy new episode batman!

I really enjoyed this one. The trailer promised awesome and it delivered. Some great characterisation, but better pacing and a very well written. I much prefer scifi when it's very physiological and character focused, rather than being filled with weird aliens trying to destroy the planet/universe.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 15 May 2010, 13:02

I called which one was real from the beginning, but it was a really good episode. I was a bit tired to nitpick this time around but I really enjoyed it, the story flowed well and built to a nice climax, Amy didn't do anything really crazy and the Doctor wasn't treating her like an idiot (that's Rory's job now apparently). I'm still enjoying the interaction between the Doctor and Rory, I think he really adds something. The humour was still there in the right places and served IMHO to highlight the tension later on. The absurdity of them being menaced by pensioners was great, my favourite was the one wielding a lawn mower.

I'm really starting to take to Smith as the Doctor, it's taken a few episodes longer than Tennant did, but I'm starting to see it now. He's like a bumbling professor, but quick to anger. My only problem with him is his occasional tendency to hide everything from Amy and treat her like a buffoon. Smith has certainly got the Doctor's childish enthusiasm for adventure spot on, and whilst he's struggling a little to demonstrate the full weight of those 900 years as Tennant could, we can chalk that up to inexperience as an actor and watch him get better at it.

Heck even the theme tune remix is starting to grow on me. The only thing that I can't get behind is those flaming new Daleks...
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 15 May 2010, 14:01

So you called that neither was real?
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 15 May 2010, 14:03

It was pretty obvious that neither world was the real world, but I'll let that slide as that's how these types of plots are.

I do hope we see more of the Ha'rik at some point. They seemed like interesting villains. Yay for more slow moving not traditionally scary things as monsters!

EDIT: Oh, I recently watched all of Torchwood, and was wondering what fellow Who fans thought of it and what you'd think of an other show involving Captain Jack's travels after leaving Earth?
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 15 May 2010, 14:13

I loved the little old lady carrying the lawnmoyer above her head. It was pretty hilarious.

As for the main point of the plot: I knew there had to be some kind of twist because as the viewer the future reality couldn't be the real one because we know that its not, so I knew that there was something odd, but I didn't think it would end up being that both weren't real
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 15 May 2010, 16:19

I think this was by a wide margin the best episode of the new series. Because, like fish said, SciFi tends to be better when it focuses of chracters and the psychological.

And props to Simon Nye for writing a villain who can accurately described as a magnificent bastard. I did groan when they mentioned space-pollen, but the Dream Master actually being a personification of the Doctor was a really cool idea. I'm actually hoping to see more of him. Maybe a short burst in another season.

Next episode looks like more standard monster of the week fare, but hey, they can't be gems all the time.
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 15 May 2010, 17:30

I kind of welcomed the look into the doctors mind though I did kind of figure the villain was a manifestation of the doctor only bloody mentalist wacko

I also liked that it sort of left him open to returning or perhaps hinting that maybe all the years of time travelling and fiddling about with peoples heads have finally started taking the toll on the good doctor.
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 16 May 2010, 08:36

Next week is a two-parter with the Silurians (a prime example of Moffat sticking firmly to his promise not to bring back any aliens from the old series). Following that is one with Van Gogh so expect a similar episode to the Dickens/Shakespeare/Agatha Christie ones.

After that is one with the Doctor living in a flat and then the 2-part season finale, and somewhere in there is the Cybermen (Moffat really is living up to that promise isn't he).
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 16 May 2010, 13:47

I didst enjoy this one, what with the flipping back and forth between two worlds, the birdsong heralding the changes, the creepy little alternate psyche man, and so on. I managed to suppress the 'cold star' bit after remembering about the time travel and sapce travel and alternate dimensions and stuff. But space is freakin cold enough to freeze the ever-loving crap out of you if you don't have any heating, it's close to absolute zero! And as for the 'how many zeros do you want' relating to the coldness, there is a limit, y'know, zero Kelvin, -243 degrees C, and so on, I mean, come on, it doesn't even go past 10 to the 2! And further more...
*slap*
SCIENCE FICTION. FICTION.
A timelord did it. There ya go. Phew.

I got flashbacks again, this time zombie related. I was expecting Rory to whip out a shotgun and start blasting through holes in makeshift barricades, and kept thinking 'why not just run 'em down? They're slow, right? And as for the lawnmower... Peter Jackson wants a word
Keelah Se'lai
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 16 May 2010, 14:11

ACtually the coldest place in the universe that we know of is on Earth. A laboratory has managed to get a bar of metal at almost 0 Kelvin. Space is actually a few degrees K warmer than 0.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 16 May 2010, 14:23

madrak_the_red wrote:But space is freakin cold enough to freeze the ever-loving crap out of you if you don't have any heating, it's close to absolute zero!

While it's technicalle true that space is cold, that's only because there's no matter in it to be hot. If there were, background and ambient radiation from stars and so on would fry you pretty quickly. Keeping cool in space is actually the bigger challenge.
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 16 May 2010, 22:05

That's 2 episodes I enjoyed in a row! And the first episode that didn't shove the current arc plot device in our faces (this season). I'm cautiously happy!
#TeamKroze
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 17 May 2010, 06:36

I think my biggest problem is that, well, over the years we've gotten to know the Doctor. And what do we know?

Well for one, a car crash probably wouldn't kill him because of that whole regeneration thing. Hell, a car crash at that speed probably wouldn't kill Amy because airbags exist.

Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 17 May 2010, 06:56

Even so, both of them would likely get knocked unconscious, and I'm not sure exactly what happens when you get knocked unconscious in a dream, but given the fact that throughout the rest of the episode they fall asleep in one 'reality' to get to the other, I suspect at the very least knocking yourselves unconscious would have the same effect. Besides, the act of defiance alone would likely give a clear enough message.

Besides, the whole thing was a figment of their own imaginations, so technically only the rules set by their own minds would apply. If they expect a high speed crash into the side of a cottage to kill them/knock them into the other 'reality'/send the message to the dream lord that they reject that reality, I suspect that dream physics would likely make it happen regardless of the expectation of real world physics.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 17 May 2010, 07:11

Also they were riding in a VW van which probably didn't have airbags
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 17 May 2010, 09:25

madrak_the_red wrote: And as for the 'how many zeros do you want' relating to the coldness, there is a limit, y'know, zero Kelvin, -243 degrees C, and so on, I mean, come on, it doesn't even go past 10 to the 2!

It's called a joke?
Anyway, to take it further, Amy could have asked for hundreds of zeros, and the Doctor could have told her the temperature in an alien system that would have hundreds of zeros for -10 degrees.

This is me not being able to tell if you're being facetious or seriously can't tell it's a joke.

I really liked this episode. I'm easy to please of course, but I really did enjoy this one for reasons everyone has already said. Not to mention Amy sort of redeemed herself a bit in my eyes by choosing Rory (who continues in his awesomeness).
As for the Doctor, I'm really enjoying him. He's kind of has this angry professor thing going, and I really liked the scene when Rory "died" and he coudln't really bring himself to even pat Amy on the shoulder. There's something in him that makes me think of a cranky old man.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 17 May 2010, 10:04

You know, I really like this season, and 11, in general. I think it's got a great tone, and has really refreshed the series. I loved 10, being that he was the doctor I started watching with and all, but this is fine programming. Also, for the record, Rory is being treated far better than Mickey was until AFTER Mickey saved the world, twice. Especially go back and see how 9 treated Mickey, he was a complete douche 80% of the time. That said, I think the next two episodes are going to be pretty weak.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
StoneageRocker
Ret-con'd: Correct

Postby StoneageRocker » 17 May 2010, 10:26

Keab42 wrote:whilst he's struggling a little to demonstrate the full weight of those 900 years as Tennant could, we can chalk that up to inexperience as an actor and watch him get better at it.

To me I've seen him have the full weight of 900 years when not interacting with Amy, In my opinion this Doctor just wants to be kind of childish and bouncy, after all the crap that's happened to him since being the 8th Doctor, it's as if after 2 generations he's finally been able to put the past in the past (Well as much in the past as is possible for a Time Lord) and try to move on from the horror of the war, you saw the bouncy with Tennant but could still see him deeply scarred still
In England.........

EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 17 May 2010, 10:47

The only probem with a show like Doctor Who is that it's a case of Status Quo is God. The BBC advertiser said it was gonna promise big changes, and it didn't. I don't know if spoilers are allowed here but I'll say they gave us this big choice and I instantly went with the one closest to status quo. It kind of pulled a fast at the end but it was nothing major, status quo is still God.

Still it was a lot of fun, and for what felt like a filler episode it was a lot of fun with a lot of idea's.
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 17 May 2010, 11:13

Jillers wrote:
madrak_the_red wrote: And as for the 'how many zeros do you want' relating to the coldness, there is a limit, y'know, zero Kelvin, -243 degrees C, and so on, I mean, come on, it doesn't even go past 10 to the 2!

It's called a joke?
Anyway, to take it further, Amy could have asked for hundreds of zeros, and the Doctor could have told her the temperature in an alien system that would have hundreds of zeros for -10 degrees.

This is me not being able to tell if you're being facetious or seriously can't tell it's a joke.

This is me saying:
madrak_the_red wrote: And further more...
*slap*
SCIENCE FICTION. FICTION.
A timelord did it. There ya go. Phew.

Did you read all of my post? I can't tell, because then it would have become clear that I myself was joking. I am fully aware that Doctor Who is entirely parallel to real physics, can include made up stuff, etc. Notice how I said fiction. It was in caps, numnutts. I then went off to try and be funny, slapping myself down over my own nerd rage. It's called a joke. I'm sorry if you can't pick up on this.
Keelah Se'lai

Return to “General Discussion”