Movies that where made too early

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Highlander
First Video: Mecha Jackson

Movies that where made too early

Postby Highlander » 30 Jun 2010, 05:28

Having recently watched Dune on tv and being repulsed by its flat translation of an action packed novel, a thought struck me. had this been made today with someone like james cameron it would have been awesome. I'm not saying graphics are really important to a movie but DEAR GOD, Dune was dire. Some of the actors performed well the overall feel was camp and gothic at the same time. which was impressive but in the same way as watching a contortionist it was slightly repulsive.

Also Starship troopers some one needs to burn that movie from time itself
theduckthief

Re: Movies that where made too early

Postby theduckthief » 30 Jun 2010, 21:47

I assume then that you don't know there are plans to remake Dune in 2012.
In Soviet Russia Desert Bus crashes Bill twice!
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 30 Jun 2010, 22:34

"Action packed novel"? I don't know. I read it because I liked the movie, but was bored to tears from all the book's political drama. Admittedly not my kind of thing, but I certainly didn't feel it was packed with action.

Regardless, I'm still a mite bit curious about the movie in 2012.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 30 Jun 2010, 23:38

Did you see the TV miniseries? I thought it was pretty well done.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 01 Jul 2010, 01:03

I've not seen the miniseries but it does pique my curiosity.

Admittedly, my greatest interest in the book was about how the Fremen planned to terraform Arakis into someplace livable. Not really the main focus of the story.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 01 Jul 2010, 05:03

Graham wrote:Did you see the TV miniseries? I thought it was pretty well done.

I'd thought that the 2000 miniseries was what he was talking about and was similarly dissenting; if he's talking about a 'TV-sanitized' version of David Lynch's, err, "Alan Smithee's" 1984 movie, though...
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 02 Jul 2010, 03:38

I still need to track down the extended cut of Dune.

I don't know why; I just have this inexplicable urge to watch the even longer version. It sucked huge hairy balls in the first place, and I can't imagine that forty minutes of extra footage is going to turn it into a masterpiece, yet still I'm strangely compelled to do so. Maybe some time when I'm really drunk. Reeeeeeeeally drunk. Like, so-drunk-I-can't-find-the-Fear-and-Loathing-DVD drunk.

I can think of a quite a few films that should've been made earlier, because then the directors wouldn't have spent so much time dicking around and showing off their fancy CGI effects.

Occasionally I wish that Blake's 7 didn't look so Eighties, but then I reflect that if it was made now the characters would all be stereotypes and a lot of the things I love about the series would be lost due to changing fashions in TV.

(I know there are also films that I think really were made too early, but none of them are springing to mind right now.)
Vohn_exel
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 04 - Fixer

Postby Vohn_exel » 02 Jul 2010, 04:09

I've never seen Dune. My friends haven't stopped messing with me since they found out, lol. I take it that it's a good sci-fi film? I'll probably end up watching the remake if it comes out, since I usually end up watching almost everything released that's a "blockbuster" type film. So long as it has ninjas and explosions. But yeah, if I do, I'll probably end up watching the original Dune before hand.

Edit:

Also, the first Starship Troopers, I thought, was pretty cool. I can say that I enjoyed it, at least. However, the sequels...oh man. Dragon Wars is only slightly worse.
The Square Root of Nine is Three!
empath

Postby empath » 02 Jul 2010, 06:00

"good sci-fi film?"

<_<

>_>

Ummmm....well.... it's... a pivotal film; important in the history of cinema (and in the portrayal of classics of science fiction literature on film)

...as for good? erm...

wiki wrote:The film was not well-received by critics and performed poorly at the American box office at the time. Upon its release, director David Lynch distanced himself from the project, stating that pressure from both producers and financiers restrained his artistic control and denied him final cut. Fans of the Dune series are polarized by the movie, although the film has become a cult favorite,[citation needed] and at least three different versions have been released worldwide. In some cuts of the film Lynch's name is replaced in the credits with the name of a fictional director Alan Smithee, a pseudonym used by directors who wish not to be associated with a film for which they would normally be credited.

That question is still being debated.

*I* personally have to caveat any personal opinions with the fact that I'm pretty much the antithesis of a 'film snob' in that I'll watch virtually anything and derive sufficient enjoyment from it; yes, I even thought Uwe Boll's House of the Dead was okay...
Highlander
First Video: Mecha Jackson

Postby Highlander » 03 Jul 2010, 09:54

I did not see the miniseries although next time I'm around my 'rents house I'll see if my dad has it backed up somewhere. Its good to have a sci fi nerd as a dad. The 2012 plans interest me but i haven't heard much about them. I agree the book does chew a wee bit too much fat over the politics I still find it one of the best sci fi's ever written
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby tanatoes » 03 Jul 2010, 21:38

I much prefer the Sci-Fi miniseries. It captures much better the spirit of the book I think. But the book itself is one of my favorite of all time, so no adaptation could truly do it justice in my mind I suppose.

Here's my more lengthy review of the Lynch movie:
http://aandamovieaday.wordpress.com/2010/06/06/dune-1984/
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 03 Jul 2010, 21:51

In that case my opinion is most likely diametrically opposed to that of many people.
I liked the Lynch Movie and disliked the Miniseries (it was too squeeky clean for me, thats the best approximation of opinion that I can come up with).
empath

Postby empath » 04 Jul 2010, 05:02

Well, remember my caveat above?

Yeah, I *liked* the Lynch/Smithee movie, even if it gets a little weird in places (and yes, even for D.L.).

I will concede that it's not the most faithful representation of the book's material, but hey, it's only got a couple of hours to squeeze all that world-building and political make-up and TONS of characters that Herbert crafted. By that nature, a miniseries that's just about twice as long is GOING to be more faitful.
Vohn_exel

Postby Vohn_exel » 08 Jul 2010, 18:44

Well I've always meant to check it out, so now I'll do so with a bit of precaution knowing that it might be wierd, hehe. Still, I've never read the book so I won't know if it's unfaithful or not, so that might help my enjoyment some.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 13 Jul 2010, 07:40

I've never understood the appear of the Dune movies. The original was one of the worst movies I've ever seen (I actually made a thread about it when I was watching it a few years ago. I remember asking what the hell the belching-vagina looking thing was). The Sci-Fi channel remake was WAY better, but still, not very good.
-Wraith
Vohn_exel

Postby Vohn_exel » 13 Jul 2010, 13:55

I'll definitely have to watch the first one then, if a Sci-fi remake of it was better. I mean seriously, it's like they're payed to ruin dreams.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 13 Jul 2010, 14:34

Yea, I always thoght Highlander 2 was so bad that no one could make a worse sequel. Then Sci-fi made Highlander V, and it was as if they had accepted my challenge and just ran with it...
-Wraith

Return to “General Discussion”