This thread is so gay

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby theDreamer » 11 Jan 2012, 19:24

I DO THIS!

Seriously, I'm more "gay" when sober and just hanging out with my other, ALSO SOBER, friends.

Two of my roommates (though one more than the other), and two of my other friends.

Across the 5 of us, with a few others sometimes, we make a ridiculous amount of come ons to each other.

When on of the two "other" friends found out the OTHER "other" friend is polyamorous and bisexual (mostly female, but a few practiced and enjoyed exceptions), he was all "shit, sorry. I was only joking because, you know, nothing would happen." to which polyamorous friend was all "is k, you aren't my type. *gropes the other guy's man tits*"

EDIT: You know what I think? I think that as a straight man, I see "pretending to be gay" as fun and stuff. Just a light hearted joke between two straight (or taken, or not sexually attracted) guys. Like, it's like flirting but nothing can possibly come of it, because we're neither into that.

But as a gay man (especially a closeted one), it is seen as, well, teasing. "You're showing an interest in me, but then it turns out it was all a lie." Kind of thing.

And I guess the average gay guy, like the average straight guy, always blames the teaser for "leading them on."
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 11 Jan 2012, 20:12

I admit that I have an automatic negative reaction to the idea, partly because I think sometimes it treads dangerously close to "being gay is funny!" and because of kind of negative experiences in my youth. I had a few of those kind of friends who would "act lesbian" with one another because it was funny, and quite apart from feeling "led on", I felt very isolated. Especially since I was firmly told by at least one of them "it's fine, just don't hit on me!"

Although, that was the same friend who told me that it's not homophobic to think two girls kissing is "gross" and the only reason I disagreed was that I have "bisexual tendencies".

So basically I just hate people occasionally. That is what we learned today.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 11 Jan 2012, 20:47

Yayyyy intermittent hatred!
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 11 Jan 2012, 23:55

I've seen straight guys act gay. My experience pretty much matches the Dreamer, they are both straight, know they are both straight, and know this is not serious. So they just joke around.
I don't see it as homophobic, I do it to with both males and women when I know nothing will happen and they know nothing will happen. I guess it's a form of bonding and saying things you mean while obviously joking to cover yourself up. That is, you can tell someone they are awesome, but if you're a bit shy about saying it straight up in case they make fun of you or something, you say it while in the middle of a joke, so they can't make fun of you. Really that's kind of what flirting is all about, usually you can spin it around into a "I was just joking" kind of thing is the person isn't responsive. In this case the difference is you don't expect or want a (romantic) relationship out of it.

I can see how it would suck for someone who is actually interested and would be getting mixed signals, though.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Jan 2012, 05:08

As further evidence of guys acting like Dreamer described, here's a collection of slashfic written by (straight guy) members of the Desert Bus Chat, primarily about other members of the DB Chat. A ridiculous amount of "acting gay" goes on in there, if for no other reason than we have nothing else to do, and it's a fun way to pass the time with others.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 12 Jan 2012, 05:56

My! Slashfic! I wonder how that came about! Certainly nothing to do with me! *hides*
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 12 Jan 2012, 06:44

Alternatively every human being is bisexual. Just some humans are so pressurised by society that they're oblivious to this side of them. But it comes out subconsciously by being 'ironically' gay.

I would imagine a certain amount of 'affectionate bonding' between members of the same species regardless of gender would help foster positive communities.

Oh... the internet... Damn, my theory falls flat.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 12 Jan 2012, 09:31

Except for Ryan Reynolds, I am 100% not gay.

And even then, my mental image of him lacks genitalia.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Jan 2012, 09:38

I'm with Dreamer.

EXCEPT not Ryan Reynolds I'm all for the other Ryan, Gosling, myself.
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 12 Jan 2012, 10:59

I didn't mean my comment in a disbelieving way, Dreamer, but I was worried it might come across like that. I'm an exceptionally flirty person myself, but I flirt with EVERYONE, so I hope I'm not leading anyone on...
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 12 Jan 2012, 11:39

theDreamer wrote:Except for Ryan Reynolds, I am 100% not gay.

I suspect that he may infact lack genitalia for real.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Psyclone

Postby Psyclone » 12 Jan 2012, 12:08

They/them/their pronouns

gcninja

Postby gcninja » 12 Jan 2012, 17:35

Even worse off is this about-face of Canada
Oh and psyclone you don't need to underline the URL, it does it automatically
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 12 Jan 2012, 17:43

aeric90 wrote:
theDreamer wrote:Except for Ryan Reynolds, I am 100% not gay.

I suspect that he may infact lack genitalia for real.

That would make me a very sad panda.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 12 Jan 2012, 17:51

I'm more of a david boreanaz kinda person, tbh. Ryan Reynolds while funny, lacks something
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Psyclone

Postby Psyclone » 12 Jan 2012, 18:37

gcninja wrote:

Even worse off is this about-face of Canada
Oh and psyclone you don't need to underline the URL, it does it automatically

What? Really? I always thought it was a stupid feature not to include...awkward.

Anyway, now that Savage is on it, I expect we'll see more "spreading Santorum"-like campaigns regarding Harper soon.
They/them/their pronouns

Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Jan 2012, 18:41

Save it for 2015.
Psyclone

Postby Psyclone » 12 Jan 2012, 18:48

Well, we have to get a head start, right? Santorum's been around for years.
They/them/their pronouns

Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Jan 2012, 18:54

NVM

In a statement to CBC News, Justice Minister Rob Nicholson said he would be "looking at options to clarify the law so that marriages performed in Canada can be undone in Canada."

It's really more a case of a discrepancy in the legal code that needs to be dealt with + overzealous gov't lawyer.
Psyclone

Postby Psyclone » 12 Jan 2012, 19:05

It still seems like bigotry, and whether Harper is being truthful about not wanting to open the debate again or not, it's going to be an issue now, even if it is just an unfortunate law.
They/them/their pronouns

Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Jan 2012, 19:08

There's no question that Harper and the Cons would prefer it otherwise - if for no other reason than that their politcial bread-and-butter is the Texas of Canada. But they realize public opinion is such that to fight that battle again would be political suicide.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 12 Jan 2012, 20:11

If Ontario is the Texas of Canada, does that make Austin the Canada of Texas?
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
CommanderKeen
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby CommanderKeen » 12 Jan 2012, 20:14

FFS,

Much of the reporting of this issue has been salacious and false. Let me clear the air:
No ruling has been made on this matter, and we don't expect a ruling from an Ontario court for another month (if they don't defer to feds)
The PMO has made no statement on this issue, except to state that they will make one
The Justice Minister has commented that they will be looking to revise the divorce act
The application made to an Ontario court was for a non-resident couple who are seeking a divorce (they were married here). Canadian law mandates that no divorce can be granted to a couple in Canada unless they have been resident here for at least one year.
In responding to the application which was made, a crown attorney has made three arguments: a) no divorce can be granted because the couple has not been resident for the requisite amount of time; OR (b) the couple has no standing to challenge the constitutional validity of that requirement because they are not canadian; OR (c) no divorce can be sought because the marriage wasn't legal in the first place.
These are alternative legal arguments and simply represent the view of this crown attorney who is simply trying to do his job - Canadian law does not permit this couple to be divorced. It is difficult to reject the first two arguments as they are rooted in law. The third alternative is likely a mistake. There has been no reversal in policy in this country, and a crown attorney's statements, last time i checked, do not make law.
There is every expectation within the legal community that the divorce act will be amended to do away with the residency requirement in limited circumstances (such as these). I would further expect the PMO to make their position well known in very short order.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Jan 2012, 20:31

plummeting_sloth wrote:If Ontario is the Texas of Canada, does that make Austin the Canada of Texas?

Alberta.
Psyclone

Postby Psyclone » 12 Jan 2012, 20:35

Looking at more well-researched articles, I see what you mean, plus, you have a much better grasp of Canadian politics than I do, so I will defer to your and Metcarfre's judgement. Still, isn't that kind of a weird requirement for divorce? What purpose does it serve? I don't know if the US has a similar policy, but either way, it just seems silly.
They/them/their pronouns

Return to “General Discussion”