The Confession Topic: Get It Off Your Chest!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Re: The Confession Topic: Get It Off Your Chest!

Postby Lord Chrusher » 19 Aug 2014, 15:17

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I never realised that there was ground snow in Australia:

Tasmania looks nothing like the bottom photo which was likely taken in the Northern Territory. This is what Tasmania looks like:
Lake St Clair; my own photo

I would not say skiing is popular in Melbourne - it has only snowed in Melbourne proper a couple times in the last century. However, skiing is popular in mountainous areas of the State of Victoria which do have significant annual snow falls (although the snowfalls are small by comparison to mountains in British Columbia).
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 20 Aug 2014, 20:28

Twitter controversies between people I like really bothers me in a way not much else does, and I think I know why.

I think I'm legitimately obsessive-compulsive. I obsess about order and things working out and logic and reason. When people don't conform, it causes me distress for people I don't even really know! Like, with my fights with the LRR crew or runners... I know you guys. This is between Internet personalities I sometimes don't even like!

I've had this thought before, in fact many times before, but... this time, I think it's hitting home for real.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
GaProgMan
First Video: 1337 - 64K

Postby GaProgMan » 26 Aug 2014, 11:00

I've not been around here for so long, have been out of the LRR community for such a long time, and haven't sat and watched their stuff like I used to (as soon as new video was available, I'd watch it) for such a long time that I feel like it's taken a back seat.

... Well, technically it has. Then again, I tell myself that I've been busy and haven't had the chance to devote time to a lot of the things I enjoy in a long time. Between moving (twice), getting a new job (again, twice) and the decline of my closest friend's health (which lead to his passing), feeling overwhelmed with life stuff (I felt like I suffered with imposter syndrome for a while), and (as stupid as this sounds) the lack of a chair to sit on while using my computer, I haven't had the time to just sit and be let alone take the time to enjoy some stuff.

Now, however all that fog is starting to lift. I remember a LRRcast from a few weeks ago (I've been re-ingratiating myself via the LRRcast on my LONG walks to and from work), that the guys calculated how much product they put out and it was a staggering amount. Perhaps I should just spend a few Sunday afternoons chilling out and watching their stuff. That was my strategy when I re-watched Commodore Hustle this weekend, perhaps I should go back and watch all those (and wait for the DVDs for season 6 and onwards to go on sale... if the guys are permitted to, that is).

Also, bonus confession: I've never played magic, so most of their magic related products are lost on me. Although the (at the time of writing) new t-shirt is really cool.
Avatar image is part of Vanilla Jester's Draw-A-Thing series on LRR forumers
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Aug 2014, 11:04

Well, you're not alone. I myself have been so invested in LRL that I haven't watched an Unskippable or a Feed Dump since... before DB7 I believe.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 26 Aug 2014, 16:13

Taking my car to the mechanic always makes me feel super awkward. Wish I knew how to handle it better than awkwardly stumbling then admitting that I don't know how cars work.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 26 Aug 2014, 17:04

I can be both quite impulsive and also procrastinate far too much about important decisions. Both of these leads me to spending more money than I should.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
GaProgMan
First Video: 1337 - 64K

Postby GaProgMan » 27 Aug 2014, 00:52

Duckay wrote:Taking my car to the mechanic always makes me feel super awkward. Wish I knew how to handle it better than awkwardly stumbling then admitting that I don't know how cars work.

There are a whole bunch of threads on Reddit about learning how cars work, and dealing with mechanics. Here, here, and here are just three good ones.
Avatar image is part of Vanilla Jester's Draw-A-Thing series on LRR forumers
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Aug 2014, 07:25

Or there's my father's method of yelling "Fix le car!" in a thick Scottish accent.

It worked while he was in France, at least.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 27 Aug 2014, 07:36

Whenever my exceedingly Irish grandfather had trouble fixing something, he'd go "C'mon, ye filthy Protestant bastard."
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 28 Aug 2014, 09:36

I've been reading the subreddits TheRedPill, TheBluePill (satire of TRP) and PurplePillDebate (Debates between TRP and TBP) since the Santa Barbara shooting. No, I'm not sure why I care. I guess it's like watching a train wreck?

But the main point I have is, I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with sex, like it's the end-all and be-all of existence. TRP is all about "sexual strategy" and picking up women casually (and supposedly "self-improvement" though that often falls by the wayside), and their reasoning about the nature of women is based pretty much exclusively on the kind of girls that being an asshole "alpha" works on (e.g. barflies). I would be offended, except I know they're not really talking about me. I'd never register on their radar. That doesn't bother me at all, frankly.

Everyone brags about spinning "plates" (casual sex partners) and about the "biological" side of sex and attraction, and how it's almost a war between "irrational, cold-hearted women who can have sex any time they want and are just looking to get knocked up for alimony" and " brave, stoic alphas who won't put up with this bullshit despite being equally as manipulative." Surprisingly, this isn't what bugs me either (though it is stupid).

What really bugs me is that sex is just this thing people do with each other. It lasts, what, 1-3 hours depending on foreplay? It is people touching each other's genitals and endorphins being released and satisfying feelings. But it is brief (especially in the case of casual encounters), and the high is a short one. It's really not that big a deal in the long run. You know what would be worthwhile spending your life obsessing about? Medical research. Your children. Genuine human connections. Making a difference in someone's life. There are so many things more worthwhile than spending your life chasing skirts and bitching on reddit.

My confession? I pity the lot of them.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 29 Aug 2014, 19:30

auberginequeen wrote:I've been reading the subreddits TheRedPill, TheBluePill (satire of TRP) and PurplePillDebate (Debates between TRP and TBP) since the Santa Barbara shooting. No, I'm not sure why I care. I guess it's like watching a train wreck?

But the main point I have is, I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with sex, like it's the end-all and be-all of existence. TRP is all about "sexual strategy" and picking up women casually (and supposedly "self-improvement" though that often falls by the wayside), and their reasoning about the nature of women is based pretty much exclusively on the kind of girls that being an asshole "alpha" works on (e.g. barflies). I would be offended, except I know they're not really talking about me. I'd never register on their radar. That doesn't bother me at all, frankly.

Everyone brags about spinning "plates" (casual sex partners) and about the "biological" side of sex and attraction, and how it's almost a war between "irrational, cold-hearted women who can have sex any time they want and are just looking to get knocked up for alimony" and " brave, stoic alphas who won't put up with this bullshit despite being equally as manipulative." Surprisingly, this isn't what bugs me either (though it is stupid).

What really bugs me is that sex is just this thing people do with each other. It lasts, what, 1-3 hours depending on foreplay? It is people touching each other's genitals and endorphins being released and satisfying feelings. But it is brief (especially in the case of casual encounters), and the high is a short one. It's really not that big a deal in the long run. You know what would be worthwhile spending your life obsessing about? Medical research. Your children. Genuine human connections. Making a difference in someone's life. There are so many things more worthwhile than spending your life chasing skirts and bitching on reddit.

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 30 Aug 2014, 01:57

I wear my creepy doll t-shirt in public when I don't feel happy. It's a mask of sorts. It hides how I really feel to the world around me. I do not wish to burden others with my emotions. It is why I use emoticons in chat. I want to convey happiness to other people even if inside I do not feel such things.
poopintheairtonight
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby poopintheairtonight » 01 Sep 2014, 10:48

auberginequeen wrote:I've been reading the subreddits TheRedPill, TheBluePill (satire of TRP) and PurplePillDebate (Debates between TRP and TBP) since the Santa Barbara shooting. No, I'm not sure why I care. I guess it's like watching a train wreck?

Actually if they interact in that echo chamber long enough, they'll start believing all women are like that. It's really weird to see how much social interaction on reddit can have such a psychological effect on someone.

I think they're like that just because they're that 13-30 male demographic that just can't stop thinking about sex. The sad thing is, they think they're just "getting what they want" but I've been on the receiving end of psychological manipulation in a relationship, it was quite horrible. Plus it had lasting side effects like making me just not care about sex and relationships.
Well, do you want an ethical solution or an effective one?
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Sep 2014, 11:39

Why am I so hungry for this e-mail reply?
Because when I am not actively interacting with this person, I am aware that they are not near.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 01 Sep 2014, 11:50

I'm like that too for a reply sometimes.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Sep 2014, 14:02

I rode my first proper theme park rides at PortAdventura and they were... fine.
I rode the River Rapids and I rode a 3D Simulation ride and it was fine. It wasn't exciting. What was good was the company. When a good friend of yours on the Rapids is exaggerating their experience, that's fun. When children scream at not scary things that's fun. But that's not indicative with the ride. They were... plain?

Has my roller coaster building obsession dampened my experience of rides?

I left them wanting something more exciting. But no other rides in the park offered that.

I wondered if I should have rode Dragon Khan, but that could have been too much of a leap.
-
(No reply yet. I'm thinking, if they're dead, I would know by now. Maybe I deleted the reply. Maybe they deleted my email? Maybe I got the wrong address?)
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 05 Sep 2014, 13:56

Dragon Khan is sweet as. Seriously, you should have tried it.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 13 Sep 2014, 03:14

I think one of the things that makes me the angriest, and at the same time the saddest, when it comes to GamerGate people spouting about how "SJWs" are infringing on their fun, is that I can understand it. When things like Anita Sarkeesian's videos initially began being uploaded to Youtube I felt like my 'fun' was being taken away from me, and I denied everything she said(But I was at the same time being appalled at the harassment and threats that she was being drowned in. Since I felt it was completely uncalled for.)

Know what happened after that? I took a moment to think, and realized 'Holy fuck, I'm getting defensive. Why am I getting defensive? Unless I feel like I have something to get defensive about?' and I began watching Anita's videos again, and actually listened this time, and realized that she was saying "This is a problem, and it'd be good if we could fix it, but just because something contains one of these tropes doesn't mean that it's instantly bad and that you can't enjoy it. Just be aware of it."

And so I became aware, and while I wasn't too fond of the way she presented her videos still, I could definitely see how the tropes she was presenting were bad, and I agree that they are a problem, but I also felt relieved, relieved about the fact that I realized that this wasn't about taking away fun, it was about simply diversifying it. So, I can understand that feeling of needing to defend your fun, so I sympathize, which makes me sad because they can't get past that and realize that they're wrong, they don't have anything to fear. At the same time it makes me really angry that no matter how many times they get it repeated at them that no one wants to take away they're fun they're still acting like entitled little children(which is essentially based in a feeling of 'If I could be on the wrong side, but realize it and own up to it, why can't they?!').
Hurp-De-Durp!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Sep 2014, 03:43

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:Dragon Khan is sweet as. Seriously, you should have tried it.

Maybe next time.
I look at the POV videos of it on Youtube, and I think I could manage it, besides the first drop. I don't know. Perhaps best to walk before you run. We were going to go on the Wooden Coaster, but the queue line was too long. The queue times are quite horrific there during peak. You'd sink 1/4 of your time there queuing for Furious Baco.

There's murmurs in my friend group that an Alton Towers visit might be in order. Perhaps, I can work my way up there. Air -> Rita -> something?

Was a good visit. Just, I was quite sad there. It was the second to last day of the trip, and second to last day of seeing one of us for a very long time. It was a conflict of emotions. Happiness of being there. Joy of drawing rides and watching them in real life. Sorrow at the upcoming events.
I did cry in the park's toilets. The great thing about Spain is that wearing sunglasses is somewhat vital. So I could walk out with no one knowing the wiser.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 16 Sep 2014, 19:21

I thought my wireless mouse was broken.

Turns out, I had the battery in backwards.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 02 Oct 2014, 01:54

I have never (intentionally) watched Star Trek
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Oct 2014, 03:51

There are some threads I follow who I occasionally need to jump away from completely due to certain tones.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 03 Oct 2014, 15:17

This has been going on for over a year now. I check my gmail list to see if one person is on in the hope to talk to them, even if it is for a few minutes. I even do it on days when I know they won't be online. I spend much of my free time waiting mostly for nothing.
I miss them a lot.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 10 Oct 2014, 21:21

After catching up on a bit of Beej's Backlog that I'd missed(still not fully caught up) I have to confess that when I played through Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door there were a few points where I legitimately cried.

Just seems like I'm the only one at this point ):
Hurp-De-Durp!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Oct 2014, 01:57

I enjoy dropping obscure references that are very dry into conversation.

Return to “General Discussion”