Advice Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: Advice Thread

Postby Jamfalcon » 30 Dec 2015, 13:00

Does Wacom sell them directly on their site?
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Dec 2015, 13:15

Is this what you're looking for?

Admittedly it looks rather pricey. I checked eBay and the replacement kits there seem to be about the same price. I don't know if the styluses are interchangeable enough between models that there would be third-party options or if a pen from a different model would work.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 30 Dec 2015, 13:42

I went and looked on eBay for it and bought one. I didn't expect such a quick response. Was £25 total.

I have no idea where the pen went since I kept it safely on the floor of my room under my bed next to the tablet itself.

I would have cared for it more if I was more comfortable and had enough USBs.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Feb 2016, 06:52

I am doing a language tutor exchange on Wednesday.

I will help someone learn English in return they will teach me Catalan.

Is there anything I can do to prepare for this so I can be of most use to them? I do not know their level of English besides e-mail correspondence.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Feb 2016, 07:17

Ask them where they feel they need improving.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 05 Mar 2016, 11:47

My PC crashes during games. Specifically, 3D games(Minecraft, LoL, DOTA, Portal), and anything else highly graphically intensive(Such as rendering video after editing).

It just sort of hangs, being completely frozen. Any sound being produced from the speakers at the time is frozen aswell(It usually sounds like BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ), and num lock doesn't toggle.
And, to top it all off, windows logs don't work. (The window just hangs)
During two of the crashes, I've had Task Manager on my second monitor, and according to it, the CPU was at about 34% on both, and both hard drives were at 0% both times.

My GPU is an AMD R7 370, I'm running Windows 10 64-bit, and my CPU is an AMD FX-6300 6-core with 3.5GHz. I have 8GB of ram, 2 hard drives, and two monitors(1 Samsung 1080p one, and 1 very old Sharp 1024x768 one), although most days the PC stops registering the high res one in the middle of the night, forcing everything onto the smaller one until I open the display settings and click "Detect"

From some preliminary Googling, it seems to be either the hard drive, the drivers, the Windows installation, the GPU, or the PSU.

I am pretty tech savvy(I built this PC), but I probably won't be able to install any new hardware for a few days, as my brother's anti-static wristband went missing, and I don't have one of my own yet.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 06 Mar 2016, 20:07

Do yourself and your piano tuner/tech a favor and never buy a spinet piano. For the love of whatever deity or concept you hold dear, just get a damn upright.

Just general advice.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 May 2016, 18:44

So we replaced the old air conditioner that was becoming electrically dangerous. The birds I thought were just perching outside the window turned out to be a nest of 3 robins under it. We scooped the nest, birds and all, with a dustpan into a wicker basket that we nailed as close as possible to the window. I hope we did the right thing. I hope the mother returns.
Picture of Solution - Click to Expand
Update: Checked up on it this morning. We saw a bird fly out of the basket nest. We assume mama bird figured it all out. :-)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 08 Jun 2016, 14:21

My guitar amp is dying -- it makes loud white noise when I turn on distortion, so because of this combined with my basically daily practice regime, I'm looking to upgrade to a proper amp(Was previously using a solid-state, one-piece/practice amp), so anyone out there have any advice/recommendations for amps or effect/distortion pedals?
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 10 Jun 2016, 00:52

Robo4900 wrote:My guitar amp is dying -- it makes loud white noise when I turn on distortion, so because of this combined with my basically daily practice regime, I'm looking to upgrade to a proper amp(Was previously using a solid-state, one-piece/practice amp), so anyone out there have any advice/recommendations for amps or effect/distortion pedals?

What's your budget? There are some very nice amps out there at a very absurdly expensive price, the decline in quality with the drop in price is unfortunately fairly significant.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 10 Jun 2016, 04:01

Well, the problem is I don't actually know what amp prices are like, so I haven't figured out what kind of budget I should aim for. Thing is, I have an instrument shop fairly close to where I live, so I'm thinking of going there and trying out a bunch of amps there and deciding what works for me, but ideally I'd like to know roughly what kind prices to expect, maybe have some advice for what kinds of amps are the best for price?
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 10 Jun 2016, 15:44

Don't forget to ask if they have second hand amps. Some shops (or sometimes just the people working there) have a sort of side business buying and selling used equipment, and you can get a pretty good deals from someone who knows what they are selling you. (You DO have to judge who is doing the selling though, because SOME people are less than scrupulous about it)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 11 Jun 2016, 16:45

I'm not sure they do offer second-hand stuff, but I'll check. (Although I'm not sure I completely trust second-hand too much TBH...)
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 18 Jun 2016, 08:26

A friend, is moving to Australia for a year next month as part of an internship/ study abroad program. Because she turn 25 in August, she is having her birthday party a week before she leaves.
Here is my problem, what can you get for someone who is leaving for a year. I feel like whatever i get her it is going to be another thing she has to keep in storage for a year
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 18 Jun 2016, 08:48

This definitely depends on how your friend feels about gift cards, but if you know where she's going to be, a gift card to a restaurant in that area might be nice. If that seems out of the question, something digital she can use during her program, like a digital album, or even a little Amazon credit.

If you're looking for something more physical, I'd think about what would be useful for her, easy to take on the trip, but still thoughtful, like a nice piece of jewelry, or similar.
-betsy
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Jun 2016, 09:46

Don't undervalue a greetings card with a heartfelt message/essay as well. Depends how close you feel.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 18 Jun 2016, 11:51

if she's doing a study program, does she need any books for it? Those can add up. I got a textbook as a gift during college and it was the best present anyone ever gave me.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 18 Jun 2016, 13:15

betsytheripper wrote:If you're looking for something more physical, I'd think about what would be useful for her, easy to take on the trip, but still thoughtful, like a nice piece of jewelry, or similar.

I have not had a lot of female friends, so bear with me, but is it normal to give jewelry between non romantic friends.
Because a pair of earrings, is something she wears, and could be a good gift, but I doesn't want to make her think that i think this is heading somewhere its not.
Because i am not good at making friends, and i like her a lot, so I don't want to screw it up
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 18 Jun 2016, 20:19

I think it can be normal, but of course it's going to depend on your situation and how you present them. Don't spend more than you'd spend on any other gift, and lean towards something more personal, choose a subject matter you know she likes, and maybe go towards "cute and funny/unique" (like this company, I've bought from them before and can recommend the quality). Just be careful to not fall into the "I thought these would look nice on you" mindset - it's not about what you think looks nice, it's about knowing what she likes and would want to wear. So stay within budget, choose something you know she would like, and I think you'll be set. :D
-betsy
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Jul 2016, 02:51

PC Modem connection question.

I have a Desktop who has not got a wi-fi card. What's the best way to connect to my modem, which is located downstairs diagonally.

Extra fluff:
I have a wireless USB connection that is sluggish. Has packet drops.
I have a Ethernet cable connection through the house's electrical mains. That connection is registered sometimes.

My dad (without my awareness) upgraded the house's broadband to be very good. It's just ironic that my dad is spending a lot of money on a connection none of us can really make the most out of.

Thanks.

(I told my dad that I have connection troubles and he spews out water pressure and unhelpful statements that are not grounded on facts of the situation.)
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Jul 2016, 02:55

Wall adapters that use teh cabling of the house as an ethernet cable.
OR
Drill holes through the house with a long cable.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Jul 2016, 03:08

Ideally something that doesn't harm the property.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 15 Jul 2016, 03:40

If you run proper drops through the house, you'd be helping the property!

But yeah, realistically your options are either a Powerline adapter, which you already have (and I have no experience with), or getting a new wifi card/adapter for your desktop (though I'm sure you weren't looking for a "buy new stuff" solution).

Not really a lot of options for home networking, unfortunately. WiFi or running cables is pretty much it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Jul 2016, 04:09

I don't mind buying new stuff since it could be seen as an investment, and I have a job that earns me £550 a month.

A problem with installation in the property is that it involves negotiating with my parents. Given daddy has upgraded the internet (and only told me a month afterwards), it will probably be used to explain how privileged I am. So, I'd like to avoid parent politics.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 15 Jul 2016, 05:48

@Merry, how many walls away is the wifi modem/accesspoint? I have decent experience just using a USB wifi adapter (And those are not that expensive). Ethernet over powerline adapters almost never works in my experience. Its too dependent on wiring geometry and even slightly suboptimal wiring means it won't work properly. (And nothing is more annoying than a link that works SOME of the time for inexplicable reasons)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.

Return to “General Discussion”