The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby Elomin Sha » 17 Jan 2017, 18:27

Oh boy. I just had a serious conversation with a friend, who dropped a bit of a bombshell on me explaining why they were having a rough month. Done my best to give them the best advice possible from my life experiences.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
virre
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby virre » 18 Jan 2017, 04:31

I have started this week so well, going to bed in decent times and everytrhing (it means missing streams) but yesterday night, no such luck even as I tried to go to bed in decent time. But my brain just went nope and then it was 4AM and I was to wake up in 1 and a half hours.

Worst part I did not even catch streams when I failed to fall asleep.

Tonight will be early sleep night thats for sure (Happily somehow I got things done at work with no problems so far)
Hekla
First Video: The Whole Story: Desert Bus

Postby Hekla » 18 Jan 2017, 08:54

Talking about sleeping, and as this is a general chat thread, I'll mention my current situation.

I'm in Svalbard, and there's no natural light. It's making me really really tired! I didn't expect for it to have quite this effect. I really want to wake up and see daylight, but there just is none. Thankfully I'm only here for the week, but I'm now wondering if I could manage living here. At the very least, I'd have to get some light source to simulate sunlight.

Anyhow, back to adding some finishing touches to my conference paper...
I'm also QuintonDreaming. Stupid username availability prevents me from always being an Icelandic volcano.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 24 Jan 2017, 19:29

I spent my afternoon/evening making over 300 mini cupcakes. How was your day?
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
virre

Postby virre » 25 Jan 2017, 04:32

There is to few zombies returned in this test.

I just feel the world needs to know where I am at work. And how close to a game writing code can be but not be at all about games.
beramode0
First Video: Questionably Legal Man

Postby beramode0 » 27 Jan 2017, 11:56

So I was born in Korea and I came to live in Canada (specifically Coquitlam, BC) when I went into fourth grade. After about 2 years I moved to Toronto and spent about 3 years there. After that I returned to Korea, finished high school there and became a university student in Korea. During all the time I was in Korea I never got the chance to come back to Canada which was like about 8~9 years. However, this summer break I finally got the chance to come back to Canada and as of writing this I'm in Coquitlam right now!!! It's just so nice to come back here after such a long time to see what has changed and what hasn't. I leave on early-mid February so I plan to use my time here to the fullest!!!
Twitter Steam Facebook
Add as a friend/Follow at your own risk.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 27 Jan 2017, 12:17

Hey Beramode, great to see you back! And that's awesome, you picked a good time to be here, the whole area was a mess with snow a few weeks back but now I think we're in for a nice stretch. :) Any big plans while you're in the area?
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 27 Jan 2017, 14:37

Hi beramode! How are you? :D

*covers broom closet with tarp*
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
beramode0

Postby beramode0 » 27 Jan 2017, 18:46

Yeah I heard it was pretty bad couple of days ago and the funny thing is it was starting to snow in Korea before I left so I've dodge 2 cold weathers at once :D I've done most of the things that I wanted to do like visiting the elementry and middle school that I used to go to and eating a bunch of food/junkfood. I kinda wanted to ask the locals if there are any must-visit places because I tried visiting Vancouver downtown today and just kinda got lost.

Also awwwwww Phailhammer I didn't know you cared <3
Twitter Steam Facebook
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 27 Jan 2017, 19:50

Yeahhh, I've lived within an hour of Vancouver my whole life and try to avoid navigating there when I can avoid it. :P I might be able to suggest some places to go, what kind of things are you looking for, and do you have access to a car or just public transit?

Science World is probably the most obvious thing I'd suggest to most visitors, it's a pretty cool place. I also randomly discovered that there's a Portal-based musical running over this weekend, so if you're a fan that might be worth checking out here.

Edit: Oops, just saw your post in the other thread. Guess I didn't need to suggest Science World. :P

I wrote a book!
beramode0

Postby beramode0 » 27 Jan 2017, 20:28

I used to go to Science World all the time when I was little so I had to go there again, it was a given :D My cousin here does have a car but I do most of my travelling via public transportation. I kinda want to do some thrift shopping because those mostly don't exist in Korea and I just find other people's old stuff fascinating XD as a gamer I visited some used game shops that were near the places that I went to and had a blast. I also want to try some really good poutine. I tried some in a food court where they had a new york fries but I know I can do better.

Also the Portal musical sounds really interesting!! I might check that out this weekend!! Thank you so very much!!!
Twitter Steam Facebook
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 27 Jan 2017, 23:47

Haha, yeah, I was at Science World all the time as a kid too. Sounds like you're having a good time! :) Don't really know about poutine in that area but there are definitely good thrift shops all over here.

And glad the musical interested you, let me know if you see it! :D

I wrote a book!
beramode0

Postby beramode0 » 29 Jan 2017, 09:17

So I went to see that Portal musical yesterday at 8pm and it was great!! I laughed a lot and had a great time!! Definitely a highlight in my trip here :D
Thank you so much Jamfalcon for the suggestion!!
Twitter Steam Facebook
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 29 Jan 2017, 10:45

Awesome! Glad it just randomly popped up on my Facebook, then. :mrgreen:

I wrote a book!
GlorySeer
First Video: The Job

Postby GlorySeer » 12 Feb 2017, 11:27

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there's been any news on the Season 11 DVDs yet? At this point it's been over two years since the last season, and I don't know if we've really heard anything about them. Did I just miss something?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Feb 2017, 05:16

I'm still waiting for the Season Six DVD, so...
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 13 Feb 2017, 09:09

I'm still waiting for the LoadingReadyLive DVD.

No, not that LoadingReadyLive, the other one.

No, not that one either, the other, other one.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
GlorySeer
First Video: The Job

Postby GlorySeer » 13 Feb 2017, 17:16

Master Gunner wrote:I'm still waiting for the Season Six DVD, so...

Don't get me wrong, I want Season Six too. I want every season, and am sad I missed out on seasons one though three. DVDs are honestly the only kind of merch I really like. But with the eleventh season being a kickstarter thing, I would have assumed there'd have been some kind of official news by now.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Feb 2017, 23:40

Yeah, same... Also, there are other KickStarter items still left hanging. I think some of the communal games are still waiting. I know my "Draft a Sketch" is still pending.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

virre

Postby virre » 16 Feb 2017, 01:18

I went to an OWASP (Open Web Application Security Project) chapter meetup/talk yesterday, it remindee/teached me Security is fun , Pentesting is fun (OWASP Security Shepard + ZAP is a nice thing to play with), Etherum seems a bit stupid, a blockchain based system that runs code, yeah I am not surpirsed you where ddosed by somebody writeing code inside your VM.
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 22 Feb 2017, 04:01

Tim_McM
First Video: Friday nights ep.1

Postby Tim_McM » 13 Mar 2017, 22:57

Last night I had a flash of inspiration and fleshed out mechanics and a skeleton story for what I think could be a great portalesque video game but I don't know anyone I could send it to to turn it into reality.

Premise: you've undergone experimental nanotech treatment that lets you rearrange your fingerprints, retina and voice box thus allowing you almost perfect access to any secure area as long as you can find the rights person or traces of their passing (close up photos, fingerprints on mugs, answerphone messages etc.)

Draft story involves working for morally grey company engaging in industrial infiltration and sabotage against other morally grey organisations, slowly becoming increasingly aware of the knock on effects of your actions (innocents getting arrested and imprisoned because the logs Proove they were the ones that stole the data etc.) End up going rogue and infiltrating and bringing down your employer. (story very tropey atm but I'm not going to put effort into fleshing it out until I think the whole concept is ever going to go somewhere)

Anyone think this sounds interesting and/or have any suggestions about what I should do with the idea?
Christian, Aspie, Scientist, amateur game designer, avid EDH player.
"When it falls on your head then you are knowing it is a rock" - Binbiniquegabenik
beramode0

Postby beramode0 » 17 Mar 2017, 09:48

So I have been using the English language for quite some time, yet I still don't understand what people mean when someone says that they have a 'broad personality'
Can someone explain it to me? This has been making me lose sleep more than it has any right to.
Like, I know some people use it as a snarky, mean-spirited joke, but I want to what it means when someone uses it to describe something without the snark.
Twitter Steam Facebook
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 17 Mar 2017, 10:54

I don't know that I've ever heard it used snarkily, but I think the best way I can define it is someone who has a lot of variety in their interests and the way they act. So you might say it about someone who's really into Magic, sports, gardening, and music, and is capable of being completely weird and goofy but also can be serious and have intellectual conversations. Because those hobbies aren't generally seen as "close" (while stuff like Magic and video games are), the person is seen as having diverse interests from a wide range of "areas". Basically, someone who has a lot of interests that aren't connected, and can fit in with most social groups.

That's how I'd understand it, at least!

I wrote a book!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Mar 2017, 21:57

I think Alex would be a good example of a "broad personality" in that regard.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Return to “General Discussion”