Venting Thread Gamma

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Re: Venting Thread Gamma

Postby Theremin » 24 Aug 2011, 16:44

Hey now, compared to most other countries, America's genocide and enslavement record is absolutely minuscule.

But hey, give it time.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 24 Aug 2011, 17:06

I know that I'm exaggerating, and I know that America is a proud country and that there's certainly nothing wrong with that ... it's just the completely delusional twats who think that America owns everything, everyone, is best at everyone and that everyone loves them unconditionally. Ugh, just the sheer ignorance and complete and utter arrogance.
Hurp-De-Durp!
goat

Postby goat » 24 Aug 2011, 17:30

Theremin wrote:Hey now, compared to most other countries, America's genocide and enslavement record is absolutely minuscule.

But hey, give it time.

I'd give you guys the subjugation honors, but I don't think the brits have ever had a good old fashioned genocide.
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 24 Aug 2011, 17:36

I'm reasonably sure you don't go to hell for stating truth.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 24 Aug 2011, 17:39

You haven't spent much time studying modern religion, have you?
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 24 Aug 2011, 17:47

goat wrote:I'd give you guys the subjugation honors, but I don't think the brits have ever had a good old fashioned genocide.

Your naivety is adorable. But we should probably not go down this road, or we'll end up with Venting Thread Delta.

Also: what the hell, August? You're cruising along, all nice temperatures and low humidity and then BAM! It's 42 with the humidex and I'm sweating while trying in vain to breath.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 24 Aug 2011, 17:51

I just burnt my arm with my curling wand! Ouch!
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 24 Aug 2011, 17:52

Ottoman wrote:You haven't spent much time studying modern religion, have you?

No no, stating truth is alright, you just have to believe nonsense.

AND NOW BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED VENTING THREAD

So you won't do the dishwasher, you won't take the rubbish out, you won't feed OR clean the guinea pig, you won't buy groceries or even tell me which ones we need, and you don't provide any source of income for the household.

Why have I not murdered you yet, brother?
goat

Postby goat » 24 Aug 2011, 18:02

Gollom wrote:
goat wrote:I'd give you guys the subjugation honors, but I don't think the brits have ever had a good old fashioned genocide.

Your naivety is adorable. But we should probably not go down this road, or we'll end up with Venting Thread Delta.

And your pedantry is fucking annoying.

(yes, that was a proper vent. I was/am pretty genuinely angry about that)

More proper venting:

I get that this is a complicated process and therefore the mechanisms underneath it are going to be complicated, but I swear this is almost unnecessarily difficult.
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 24 Aug 2011, 19:11

goat wrote:
Theremin wrote:Hey now, compared to most other countries, America's genocide and enslavement record is absolutely minuscule.

But hey, give it time.

I'd give you guys the subjugation honors, but I don't think the brits have ever had a good old fashioned genocide.

Ask the Beothuk for an example...nevermind. ;)

-----

I've been getting a calls for almost a week from individuals who want to speak to me about "a personal matter" and (because I've been working nine days straight) end up giving my wife NO information apart from a "File #" that matches NOTHING associated to me, and a callback #.

Don't know anything about these individuals, am tired as fuck after yet another day at work capped off with a two-klick walk home, so I'll be damned if I call these people up; it's probably something involving money, which I have none since payday is this Thursday.

Well, a letter arrived in the mail today - a collection notice from an agency assigning my debt with a credit card (that I'd honestly been putting at the bottom of the repayment list) that same "File #" - okay, now it would have been nice to get this before the cryptic (and in one asshole's case, abusive) calls.

Letter was dated Aug.11, and the envelope was postmarked Aug.18. Image

It took them a WEEK to take a printed letter, stick it in an envelope and run the thing through a postal meter? Yeah, like the FUCK I'm engaging in financial arrangements with THIS pack of geniuses; Tomorrow I'm going to the bank to pay the FULL BALANCE on that 'bottom of the totem pole' card straight to the CC-company and bypass them; fuck'em - if they can't accept that Canada Post takes more than two days to send basic business mail and are as lax as I said with their OWN handling of outbound correspondence, they don't deserve their percentage...
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 24 Aug 2011, 21:25

These aftershocks need to NOT happen when I need to take a giant dumpledore and the harry plopper is in use. Holy hell. Almost poop'd mah pants.

Okay not really but mother nature is not helping the cause.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 24 Aug 2011, 21:48

Self - please stop impulse shopping on the internet at oh-too-late-at-night. I know you want to look snazzy for the wedding next weekend, but you have a closet full of clothes. Finding a hole in your favorite skirt does not justify buying $125 worth of clothes and shoes; Neither does the fact they are "on sale."
OMGItsSarah
First Video: Offensisensitivity

Postby OMGItsSarah » 24 Aug 2011, 22:07

Blah blah blah generic teenage girl facebook drama blah blah I have no friends blah.
TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 24 Aug 2011, 22:11

2stepz wrote:Self - please stop impulse shopping on the internet at oh-too-late-at-night. I know you want to look snazzy for the wedding next weekend, but you have a closet full of clothes. Finding a hole in your favorite skirt does not justify buying $125 worth of clothes and shoes; Neither does the fact they are "on sale."

I've been reminding myself I'm poor and unemployed browsing ThinkGeek late at night... So. Many. Items. Want.

TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 24 Aug 2011, 22:58

On other venting earthquakey related goodness... I live about an hour away from the epicenter of the quake. It's now coming to light how much damage there was and a lot of the old historic buildings are so damaged that they are being condemned. There was a gas leak not far from my house with a lot of damage to stores and mom and pop shops and their inventory. A lot of houses were flooded due to bursting pipes. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who are screwed because earthquake damage won't be covered in their insurance. As funny as all the hipster "my earthquakes are better than yours" are, it's sad to see that this quake didn't go by with a larger roar than a swipe like we had thought. Looking at the photos of roofs collapsed on vehicles and part of building scattered on the pavement, it's a wonder and a miracle no people were hurt. I'm so thankful that we didn't experience any devesation or death, but I'm still sad to see the effect it had on people and businesses around here.

tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 24 Aug 2011, 23:54

I understand the scary stuff that happened to you in your area, Siobhan. Most of my ire for the people bitching about the quake is directed at the people in NEW YORK FUCKING CITY who lost their shit when the buildings moved a little. NEWSFLASH: HIGHRISES MOVE IN A LIGHT BREEZE AS WELL. I live an hour west-southwest from NYC and I DIDN'T FEEL A GODDAMN THING! My own university was texting people "no damages or injuries reported from quake as of yet, more details to follow." MY UNIVERSITY IS IN THE MIDDLE OF FUCKING NOWHERE PENNSYLVANIA!!!! JESUS STATE COLLEGE, CALM THE FUCK DOWN!

I'm glad you guys are all okay though.
TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 25 Aug 2011, 00:45

It truly was not devastating and was given way to much media attention, but that is simply because it is a rare occurance. If there was a blizzard and it dropped to - 30 in California, people would be shitting themselves and talking about it for years, whereas most Canadians would laugh at them.
I totally get the poking fun, I do, even I made some quips about it. However I'm just sad to see that places didn't get away completely unscathed like we thought. I think what a lot of people don't realize is that in places such as DC and NYC when the ground and buildings started shaking they were not thinking it was an earthquake, they were thinking it was another terrorist attack.

Anyways, I'm glad to see that for the places that were affected people have already come together to help them.

We are fine.. we were out of the way when it happened. I spent the afternoon cleaning up some stuff that had fallen off the sheleves and broke. Funny story, I had just anchored in the shelves this past weekend. My craftmanship is FLAWLESS.

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 Aug 2011, 03:24

Grrr

I had my 18 month review this week. The presentation went quite well and everyone was positive about it. However my review committee was less impressed by my review document and want me to revise it and resubmit it.

This is not why I am venting.

One of the things my committee wants to me to change is my thesis plan. When I wrote the thesis plan last week we planed on doing three papers by the end of my PhD. However it no longer looks like there is enough for one of the papers while one of the other papers looks like it will be significantly more work than I though it was going to be. It looks like I will have to work really hard for rest of my PhD. I feel like I wasted the first year of my PhD.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 25 Aug 2011, 04:10

Kaku is calling doom and gloom over the earthquake.

FOR THE LOVE OF NEWTON MAN, YOU ARE A THEORETICAL PHYSICIST!
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 25 Aug 2011, 04:47

Kaku should go screw himself. Seriously. He is a smart guy yet every time something like this happens he starts ranting bat-shit crazy with shit even I as a lower educated Mechanical Engineer can understand as being flawed at best.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 25 Aug 2011, 04:49

Does he believe what he says in interviews or does he say it to be sensationalist? Does anyone?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 25 Aug 2011, 04:54

I'm sure he's being sensationalist, when Fukushima went up he started toting that we should shutdown every nuclear reactor, that it was a deathly threat we shouldn't ever have messed with...and pushing out that he had a new book.

He completely skipped over the fact that after surviving a total power outage, a huge earthquake, and a gigantic tsunami, Fukushima was still standing and never even got close to going critical. That is a testament to the stability of these reactors now and he still treats it like Chernobyl 2.0
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 25 Aug 2011, 05:03

Lord Chrusher wrote:Grrr

I had my 18 month review this week. The presentation went quite well and everyone was positive about it. However my review committee was less impressed by my review document and want me to revise it and resubmit it.

This is not why I am venting.

One of the things my committee wants to me to change is my thesis plan. When I wrote the thesis plan last week we planed on doing three papers by the end of my PhD. However it no longer looks like there is enough for one of the papers while one of the other papers looks like it will be significantly more work than I though it was going to be. It looks like I will have to work really hard for rest of my PhD. I feel like I wasted the first year of my PhD.

At least you didn't waste two years on a project that is completely unrelated to anything else you're going to be working on. So now I'm taking a short detour and getting my MS degree with it (hopefully).

And now I'm going to be a TA this semester, and silly me, I assumed I would be the TA for my adviser and no the TA for the freshman engineering programming class. You know the one where they teach you Unix, matlab, html and c++, the stuff I've never learned... And its the only class where the TAs are required to attend twice a week. so I'm going to be spending more time TAing then doing my own work and classes...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 Aug 2011, 05:19

One difference for me is that I have a hard end date. My visa and tuition waver end two and a half years from now. My funding is only guaranteed for a year and a half more although I should be able to get a six month extension.

The vent for this post.

With in the last couple weeks we have learned that the six month extensions are no longer automatic.
Last edited by Lord Chrusher on 25 Aug 2011, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Ahlir
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Ahlir » 25 Aug 2011, 05:22

I am very very very bored. It's midnight and I'm not tired. and I have to go camping tomorrow with the internet, for three days
* Disclaimer: The person writing this has no idea what she is talking about.*

Image ImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”