Favourite comedy? Also show discussion I guess.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Shinneh
First Video: field?

Favourite comedy? Also show discussion I guess.

Postby Shinneh » 25 Jul 2011, 15:34

Since I'm bored let's start a topic!

For me it's so hard to choose my favourite :S

1:Spin city (this show is 4 seasons long, FOUR no more!) / Only fools and horses

And the rest in no particular order would be arrested development, scrubs, the mighty boosh, friends, frasier, fawlty towers, black adder, father ted, black books and malcom in the middle. Also while I remember, peep show, the it crowd and spaced too.

All of those besides fawlty towers are rather excellent comedies, or rather sitcoms in my book, I say besides Fawlty simply because I only thought one episode was out and out awesome, and the was the germans. It may be that some of the humour just goes right past me because of my age or something similar, but other episodes seem to have a few "good bits" and nothing much besides.

Spin city is just amazing, MJ fox owns it, but at the same time the supporting cast always pulls their weight.

But yes, what shows do you guys enjoy, and what are your thoughts on these?
semysane
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Re: Favourite comedy? Also show discussion I guess.

Postby semysane » 25 Jul 2011, 15:42

My favorite comedy is Intervention, hands down. My favorite clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee925OTFBCA
Wolfenbarg
First Video: The Job

Postby Wolfenbarg » 25 Jul 2011, 16:44

1. Arrested Development
2. Community
3. Peep Show
4. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
5. Married with Children

I'd have originally made Community top the list, but the second half of the second season was so wildly variable in quality that I'm actually sort of surprised they were renewed for another season. I guess people like the gimmicks more than retaining the tone of a show.
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 25 Jul 2011, 16:53

Well, other than things that have already been mentioned I'd suggest the following:

* Pushing Daisies
* It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Oh, and here's a free tip; The Big Bang Theory? Avoid it like the plague. I was "lucky" enough to see an episode on my flight into Portland a couple weeks ago and I actually tried to jump into the TV to strangle "Sheldon", which might be the worst racist caricature of our kind (read: nerds) that I've seen in mainstream media.
ImageImageImageImage
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Jul 2011, 16:57

I've only willingly seen the episodes of Big Bang Theory that feature Wil Wheaton, and then I skip to his scenes. Between the awkward comedy (which is also why I can't watch The Guild), and Sheldon, it just does absolutely nothing to appeal to me.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
semysane
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby semysane » 25 Jul 2011, 17:03

Seriously this time, I think the Venture Bros. might be the greatest comedic cartoon ever created.
Psycat Aurora
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Psycat Aurora » 25 Jul 2011, 18:44

I don't know about all time, but my favourite comedy recently has been Corner Gas. In my opinion, the dialogue is really well written and the setting is pretty appealing. The actors in the show are good at what they do and they've had some really awesome guest stars over the years, including some of the guys from Kids in the Hall. They even managed to get the Prime Minister of Canada at the time to come on the show and do a skit with them. I'm currently watching all of the DVD sets and have made my way halfway through season 3. So far, I haven't been disappointed.
Deviantart: Psycat-Aurora
Instagram: @psycataurora
Tumblr: Psycat Aurora
Twitter: @Psycat_Aurora
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 25 Jul 2011, 18:46

I really like Friends. I don't think it's amazing, quality television, but I generally enjoy it, and it's great for turning on the TV and vegging out for a while. As far as sitcoms go, I also quite like Frasier and I didn't mind early Scrubs. I don't mind Entourage, but I have to be in the mood for it. On principle, my favourite is M*A*S*H, which I recognize has a lot of problems, but I find very enjoyable, and I admire it for its place in modern TV history.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 26 Jul 2011, 03:25

Not counting LRR right? :D
Well then turning to the UK classics for a moment:

Dad's Army
Allo Allo
Vicar of Dibley
Outnumbered

All brilliantly written and brilliantly acted :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Sunspot
First Video: unskippables then Quantum Documentary

Postby Sunspot » 26 Jul 2011, 03:34

Black Books, because Dillon Moran is hilarity!

Also Semysane, that Grahamkitty is slightly terrifying
WBAGNR
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby WBAGNR » 26 Jul 2011, 03:38

Outnumbered, and just to get in before iamafish, How I Met Your Mother is good as well.

I watched 24 episodes of it on a long-haul flight and didn't regret it.
iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 26 Jul 2011, 04:03

Mock the Week, QI and Live at the Apollo. ^^
Hurp-De-Durp!
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 26 Jul 2011, 04:07

I like the Big Bang Theory. I don't see Sheldon as a caricature, he's written as though he has Asperger's, even though they refuse to admit it. having worked with people with Asperger's, I'd say they've done well.

I also like Father Ted, Fraiser, Vicar of Dibley, Will and Grace and Blackadder.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 26 Jul 2011, 04:09

Like Duckay, I call M*A*S*H as the best. Arrested Development, Scrubs and Frasier also have high marks. Although Frasier can lapse into frustration comedy, which sucks.

Web video wise, I'm a huge fan of Cracked After Hours. That show's a blast.

Also have an irrational liking for geeky Canadian troupes who do bus-themed charity events.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 26 Jul 2011, 04:34

I personally love Big Bang Theory and don't understand all the hate for it on the internet. To me, they're not depicting 'our' kind of nerd, but rather academic nerds. And having gone to a very academic university and now being in an engineering PhD program, I think its pretty accurate. Sure they're caricatures of stereotypes of the type of nerds you see, but isn't that what a lot of comedy is?

Other comedies I love:
How I Met Your Mother- This last season was quite good and really pulls at your heartstrings
Community- Pretty hilarious, although the (I don't really want to say) gimic episodes get a little old when everyone is like that and not just a few amazing ones
Psych- Don't know if it's really a comedy, but its still hilarious
Cougar Town- No seriously, its really funny! You just have to get through the first 6 episodes, because she ends up being with the one guy who isn't any younger then her since then
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 27 Jul 2011, 15:48

Not Going Out is fantastic, it has probably the highest gag rate of any comedy and is just consistently hilarious.

Also, there's the classics like Blackadder, Yes Minister, Dibley, Red Dwarf and Black Books.

I've kind of gone off Big Bang Theory, I just started finding it either too awkward or too irritating.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 27 Jul 2011, 16:40

I cannot believe no one has mentioned 30 Rock. An outstandingly hilarious show that never fails to make me laugh.
Community is brilliant. There are no other words for it.

For sitcom type stuff, How I Met Your Mother is probably one of the best. I don't find it hilarious, but the characters are really well fleshed out, and they have a remarkable ability of pulling an actual story that you care about.

That's... probably about it for me. I like a lot of shows that have comedy as a component, like Avatar and Doctor Who, but I wouldn't call those comedies.

EDIT: Oh, I too love M*A*S*H. An absolutely outstanding show.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 27 Jul 2011, 17:51

nthing Community. I've only seen the first season, since that's all Netflix Canada has (I have no TV). It really is an amazing show. I don't think there was a single episode in the first season that wasn't incredibly funny. Senor Chang may be one of my favourite characters ever.

Arrested Development is also very good. It's...a bit different, though, and honestly requires multiple watchthroughs to catch everything. Jokes within jokes within totally unrelated gags.

I don't know how available it is outside of Canada, but Corner Gas is pretty good. Not quite the same level as either of the above, but I think it's an excellent show regardless. Although I'm told that people who have lived in small towns their entire life find it too close to home to be funny.
Jack
First Video: The Joystique or Unskippable

Postby Jack » 27 Jul 2011, 18:25

Comedies I'll have to think on, but right now I'm in the middle of watching Dara O'Brien, who is a hilarious comedian.
What are you looking at.
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 27 Jul 2011, 21:47

I'm a big fan of the old britcoms, Allo Allo, Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Father Ted, etc. Whenever I get the chance I like to sit down and watch them with my dad. I've been rewatching Daria lately as well, which was my favourite show when I was in high school (and still rates pretty highly for me).

Stepping away from the screen though, I've been listening to some of George Carlin's bits a lot as well recently, and some Bill Hicks.
ImageImage
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 28 Jul 2011, 06:21

I have a soft spot for Northern Exposure, and NewsRadio continues to be one my favorite sitcoms (Phil Hartman!).

I, too, enjoy Community (also in the Netflix group - can't wait until they give us the 2nd season). Arrested Development, 30 Rock, and How I Met Your Mother, - all so good.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 28 Jul 2011, 17:30

Throw my votes in for 30 Rock, Arrested Development, and How I Met Your Mother.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 28 Jul 2011, 18:59

metcarfre wrote:I have a soft spot for Northern Exposure, and NewsRadio continues to be one my favorite sitcoms (Phil Hartman!).

Oooh, I forgot about NewsRadio. My brother gave me the complete series for Christmas and I still haven't cracked it open. I should fix that.
Psycat Aurora
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Psycat Aurora » 28 Jul 2011, 19:17

I recently came across The IT Crowd. It's a British sitcom and it's pretty funny.
Deviantart: Psycat-Aurora
Instagram: @psycataurora
Tumblr: Psycat Aurora
Twitter: @Psycat_Aurora
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 29 Jul 2011, 10:16

The Big Bang Theory goes to top of my list for being consistently funny with every single episode and the latest season was brilliant, especially with the chick who used to be Blossom in it.

Red Dwarf series 1-6 only, after that it became pretty awful. It went from 2 funny writers to 1 writer who thought himself to be funnier than he actually is, also he could not write any good lines for The Cat at all, he just sort of sat in the sidelines and watched what was happening for most of the episodes.

Psych - It is absolutely a comedy and a genius comedy at that. Worth watching.

Burn Notice - This show is part action, part comedy but mostly comedy and if you watched this show you will always crack a smile when Michael says "When you're a spy....."

Spaced - 2 series of complete a total awesomeness. Nuff said.

Father Ted - 3 series and 1 Christmas Special of hilarity.

There is probably more that I am forgetting but those stick in my mind.

Return to “General Discussion”