Menswear

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Re: Menswear

Postby The Jester » 07 May 2012, 04:06

I'm behind the idea ideologically, but I'm afraid I wouldn't wear one. I'm much more comfortable in my tee and hoodie.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 07 May 2012, 04:25

I believe Lord Hosk created some prototype polos with embroidered LRR logos that he gave the crew at PAX East. They certainly didn't seem opposed to the idea. I've been wanting a LRR polo for years, for exactly the reason Master Gunner describes, so I hope they can find a way to make it feasible to sell them.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 07 May 2012, 06:55

I thought polos were just T-shirts with a collar. What's so different with their fit that the level of comfort would be vastly different?
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 07 May 2012, 08:10

Polos are generally constructed of a heavier fabric that is knitted rather than woven, as in t-shirts. Usually piqué cotton. And for some people the collar is enough to make it "uncomfortable".

I am firmly in favour of a LRR polo. Blogger blue like the background of the site as the fabric, lighter blue (like borders of the site) embroidered dot-dot-dot-circle-triangle logo on left breast? (or, inverse colour scheme? Sign me up.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 07 May 2012, 09:19

Or, black background, the runners scrolls on the left breast and the dot-dot-dot-triangle at the back of the neck between the shoulderblades. (Although 2 location embroidery does cost more)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 07 May 2012, 09:22

No black, thanks. And I prefer subtlety to ostentation.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 07 May 2012, 09:57

Yeah, I don't think a black polo would go over very well, compared to black t-shirts. Metcarfre's idea was what I was thinking. With the pre-orders, both colour schemes would be possible (dark blue on light, and light on dark).

As polos are more expensive, they probably wouldn't sell as well as t-shirts. But since they can guarantee a that a production run would be worthwhile through pre-orders, it seems like a fairly safe idea to try.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 07 May 2012, 10:21

Polos are solid IT-guy workwear, though, right? Should be right in everyone's wheelhouse.

I know I'd certainly be willing to pay more money for a higher-quality product, were the crew to go that way.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 07 May 2012, 13:18

I admit I'm kind of hoping for bowling shirts. And I don't care if that's wrong.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 07 May 2012, 14:48

And silk kimono's with "LRR" in faux kanji. Let's really class this bitch up, ya know?
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 08 May 2012, 03:35

Master Gunner wrote:Yeah, I don't think a black polo would go over very well, compared to black t-shirts. Metcarfre's idea was what I was thinking. With the pre-orders, both colour schemes would be possible (dark blue on light, and light on dark).

As polos are more expensive, they probably wouldn't sell as well as t-shirts. But since they can guarantee a that a production run would be worthwhile through pre-orders, it seems like a fairly safe idea to try.

I'm not sure why black would be bad (In fact I'm wearing a black polo right now), or ostentatious for that matter. (I think Met might be referring to the "logo between the shoulder blades", keep in might I was talking about making it a few centimetres at most, like a brand mark. Not a logo completely filling up the back of the shirt)
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 08 May 2012, 05:12

A black polo with too much decoration makes me think of a work uniform - the sort of thing you would year if you where a shop clerk. I am thinking of auto parts store. Although it works at night, black is not a good day time colour.

This is talking about black suits but you get the idea:
Put This On wrote:Q and Answer: What’s Wrong with a Black Suit?

Aliotsy writes to ask: I was wondering: what’s wrong with black suits?

There are times and places for black suits, but they aren’t what some men think they are: an all-purpose basic. In fact, they’re one of the less-useful suits. A few reasons:

They look bad on almost anyone. Better on people with high-contrast coloring (black hair, light skin), but even then they tend to make the skin look sallow.

Black is a color for evening. That’s why tuxedos are black. Most men are buying basic suits for daytime wear.

Black is the color of mourning. Unless you have a black suit-specific job, you would only wear black during the day if you were going to a funeral.

You will look like A) a waiter, B) a priest, C) an undertaker, D) a dork trying to look like a Quentin Tarantino character or E) some mix of the above (undertaker dork?).

Black is not complimentary to almost any other color and is thus quite difficult to wear.

The real key: almost anything that you can do in a black suit, you can do in a dark gray suit, and that suit will have none of the problems listed above.

Our friend Trey Kirby wrote that he’s in a wedding party where the dress code is “black suit,” and wondered what he can do with a black suit, now that he’ll have to buy one.

Black suits are perfectly suitable for going out in the evening. The high-contrast looks (usually black/white/gray) that they lead to are suitable for dimmer lighting. Feel free to wear a black suit to a club or an art opening. In the evening, black is just fine.

Also, from what I understand: business in Asia. I’m no expert on that, though.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 08 May 2012, 06:14

Wish I could +1 your post, Chrusher.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 08 May 2012, 12:05

I think I'd rather see a dark blue golf shirt with the LRR logo on the left breast. Polos are generally too heavy for me to wear during the summer, so a lighter material would be good, and I like to actually wear colors other than black (though one wouldn't know it, looking through my clothes).

The Runners logo is a bit excessive for a polo, as are most large and/or intricate logos. It's the difference between this and this (Just looking at the logos). One is understated, and one is ostentatious, just with a minor difference in size.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 09 May 2012, 04:40

I was under the impression that polos and golf shirts were the same thing.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 09 May 2012, 07:44

Depends how technical you want to get. Today, they roughly amount to the same thing. Strictly speaking, a button-up shirt with a button-down collar was the first iteration of a 'polo' shirt (like the modern OCBD).

I think he's saying long-sleeved polo vs. short.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 09 May 2012, 08:54

According to wikipedia, polo shirts, golf shirts, and tennis shirts are all the same thing. However, I've heard people refer to rugby shirts as polo shirts.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 09 May 2012, 09:32

Afaik a rugby shirt is a long sleeve shirt made out of slightly heavier cotton weave, unlike most polo shirts.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 09 May 2012, 10:22

Whenever I see them labelled as a "golf shirt" at retail, they're made of a lighter material. I'm not sure if that's a technical difference, or just marketing.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 09 May 2012, 10:39

I think 'golf shirt' can more specifically be used to describe, well, a shirt for playing golf in. The same style, but sometimes technical/synthetic material (which, gross).
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 09 May 2012, 11:08

Yeah, golf shirts are typically technical fabrics. Appropriate wear for sport and basically nothing else.

See: running shoes, spandex shorts, gore-tex jackets.

-m

I am not angry at you.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 09 May 2012, 12:05

I have a bunch of black polos and golf shirts... for work. That's it.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 09 May 2012, 13:12

metcarfre wrote:I think 'golf shirt' can more specifically be used to describe, well, a shirt for playing golf in. The same style, but sometimes technical/synthetic material (which, gross).

I echo that sentiment about synthetic materials. Only natural materials for me. (And I prefer cotton over most other options at that)
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 09 May 2012, 13:18

I use techical clothing for technical purposes (hiking/climbing, especially in this climate, in cotton, is suicide), but yes.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 09 May 2012, 15:08

Well, I know there are a lot of decorum rules at some golf course about what exactly you can wear out on the links. They're more relaxed at most places now, but I think collared with sleeves of a certain length are what's carried over. I'm sure back in the day they might have been more stringent material/ pattern rules.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.

Return to “General Discussion”