Menswear

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Re: Menswear

Postby AlexanderDitto » 12 Nov 2014, 18:48

Finding shirts that fit if you're athletic is tough, and if you're tall/slim, it's impossible (speaking for my boyfriend). It's either huge and billowy or the sleeves are too short or they're too narrow and cut off circulation at your biceps. :/

Also, Met: now you're just showing off. D:< That suit is NOT FAIR ugh

Some day I will have the money to buy stuff like that or the time to go thrifting. SOME DAY (when I am not working on a PhD anymore).
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 12 Nov 2014, 19:37

I'm making a tailcoat, breeches and a weskit for the Grand Ball at the 200 Anniversary for the Battle of New Orleans. I'll put some stuff up here once it actually starts to come together and we get all Beau Brummel up in here. In the mean time, I had a nice bit of thrift shopping the other week (a local hospital puts on a fantastic sale twice years and you can pick up some very excellent things) and I finally got a pair of pants to go along with the hipster frames I picked up in the Fall. Plus a sort of ruffle-y french cuff shirt. Finally, my french cuff shirts and number of cuff-links are equal to one another.

He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Nov 2014, 21:07

AlexanderDitto wrote:Also, Met: now you're just showing off. D:< That suit is NOT FAIR ugh

Some day I will have the money to buy stuff like that or the time to go thrifting. SOME DAY (when I am not working on a PhD anymore).

$15 bro-dog. Local tailor made. Extensive hand work. Fully canvased. Functional cuff buttons. English flannel wool.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 12 Nov 2014, 21:21

Metcarfre wrote:
AlexanderDitto wrote:Also, Met: now you're just showing off. D:< That suit is NOT FAIR ugh

$15 bro-dog. Local tailor made. Extensive hand work. Fully canvased. Functional cuff buttons. English flannel wool.

I hate you.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 13 Nov 2014, 07:04

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 13 Nov 2014, 07:11

Met, I agree with Matt here. Just. DAMN. You look good there.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 01 Dec 2014, 20:17

So... let's just say a new thrift shop appeared in town. And I bought a few things. I'm really trying to retire the sweatpants in my collection (except when I'm home, because whatever).

Let's say I found a suit jacket that actually fit me pretty well.

A black pinstriped jacket.

It was like four bucks.

What would 'go" with this coat? Should I have bothered? Is this a fashion faux pas that I will never recover from?
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Dec 2014, 21:09

Unfortunately orphaned suit coats are just that - orphaned. Particularly pinstriped ones. They really don't "go" with anything since it's apparent they're meant to be part of a suit. Pinstriped suits, also, are generally reserved for sober business - banking, finance, etc.

A more casual, non-business jacket can work well for more formal business-casual work events (if that makes sense) to some events that don't call for a full suit; some more casual weddings, dates, evenings out, interviews in certain industries, certain workplaces, etc.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 01 Dec 2014, 21:13

Well, the only wedding I've ever been to, I was dressed up as Sub-Zero, so... I don't even know how much use Ill get out of this thing even if I do find something to wear with it.
a winner is you. - Ash
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 01 Dec 2014, 21:46

Met is spot-on with this one. Pinstripe suit jackets were ment to be super formal and now they're also a little out of date. I wish they'd all go away. But for $4, I guess it's not much of a loss.

---

My Bonobos Cloudbursts Chinos came today and UGH I love them so much. I can't wait to wear them. I normally would not spend the money but they were on sale for less than $40 which is a steal.

Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Dec 2014, 22:23

I finally found chinos that fit well (J Crew Urban Slim) and lucked into a couple pairs of wool pants thrifting (one mid-gray flannel; one charcoal/navy herringbone tweed) so my pants game is on point right now.

Excited for the Brooks Brothers Black Fleece shirt I just bought on clearance;
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 01 Dec 2014, 22:34

I should point out that, if there was a different suit jacket that fit me that wasn't even MORE old-fashioned, I would have picked that one. But the other ones are like the green courdoroy or the weird gray-brown that looks like a burlap sack or something. You know, really old-guy looking stuff. I thought maybe pinstripes were ironic now or something.

See, I think I'd have fun making anti-fashion a thing. Trying to make outfits that are so awful and clashing, that they're just ridiculous. But I don't know enough about fashion to even get there. I want to wear this coat with American flag pants, a red Che T-shirt and a bolo tie.

And glasses with one temple removed, so the temple's only on one side of my face.
a winner is you. - Ash
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Dec 2014, 08:02

I mean, it's pretty easy to look like shit if you want to. People do it all the time.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 02 Dec 2014, 09:18

King Kool wrote:I thought maybe pinstripes were ironic now or something.

See, I think I'd have fun making anti-fashion a thing. Trying to make outfits that are so awful and clashing, that they're just ridiculous. But I don't know enough about fashion to even get there. I want to wear this coat with American flag pants, a red Che T-shirt and a bolo tie.

And glasses with one temple removed, so the temple's only on one side of my face.

I would advise against this.

Metcarfre wrote:I finally found chinos that fit well (J Crew Urban Slim) and lucked into a couple pairs of wool pants thrifting (one mid-gray flannel; one charcoal/navy herringbone tweed) so my pants game is on point right now.

Excited for the Brooks Brothers Black Fleece shirt I just bought on clearance;

UGH

some day I want to have a pants game as strong as yours. And also be able to afford a shirt that nice. UGH.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 27 Jan 2015, 18:47

It's not exactly menswear, but I figure this would fit here best.

I'm currently in the US with a colleague who recently started shaving with a straightrazor. Because he wanted some shaving stuff that was cheaper here we visited 2 local shaving stores. Because I'd been kinda looking into things myself recently I finally bit the bullet:

Still gotta get used to it. The first time was a disaster. The second time went a lot better, but I still need some practice(I'm currently still bleeding a bit from the second attempt. But still, the bits I did get shaved properly are REALLY smooth.

Anybody else using a safety razor?
Last edited by Dutch guy on 27 Jan 2015, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 27 Jan 2015, 19:01

Switched to one about 6 months ago. I dig it. With care, can get a super smooth shave.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Jan 2015, 19:03

I've being using a safety razor on and off for several years now. These days I typically use an electric razor in the morning for speed, but I far prefer the safety razor for a smooth shave.
There's a couple spots on my face that I still regularly cut, but I quickly found the safety razor to be no more difficult than disposable razors (and gives a superior shave).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Jan 2015, 19:26

It's all about taking your time and using proper technique. You probably should be doing two or three full shaves - first with the grain, then across, then possibly against. Gets you the closest shave and avoids nicks.

That, some cold water after and a styptic pencil are your best bets.
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 28 Jan 2015, 06:36

I don't shave that often in the scheme of things, but occasionally I shave every day for a week. I've had a long time of going feast or famine on the beard - leaving it grow until it gets annoying, then keeping it down for a while until I get lazy. So take all this with a grain (heh) of salt because in no way do I shave like this daily.

I've been using a safety razor for a couple of years on and off, got a very nice one recently from the internet: Bluebeard's Revenge
There are plastic ones too that are relatively cheap, I believe Wilkinson Sword made the one I had for a long time. So you don't have to spend a ton to get started.

My advice would be to look up a video tutorial (like this one) or visit that sometimes-cesspool, Reddit. Safety razors are simple things and look simple to use but if you cut yourself it is not fun, so don't rush into it.

Definitely go for the shower -> wet face with hot cloth -> first pass -> hot cloth -> second pass if you can. A single pass will almost certainly leave a nice few unloved spots given the single blade. For this reason shaving across/against the grain is also useful because the hairs more readily present themselves to the blade. Adding a third pass is great for smoothness but my skin tends to get pretty sore for the next few hours and most of the time I don't find it worth the trouble. Less sensitive people should have no problem with this.

One thing I'd take out of this in any case, even if you like your Bics or your Mach Xs, is to try shaving soap and a brush instead of foam or gel. I think that is an absolutely great feeling which unfortunately seems associated only with the 'old fogey/hipster' methods of shaving we're discussing. It's very calming to whip up a foam and slather it on to your face. You'll also note that if you do multiple passes, which you probably should, the brush feels preeeetty good on your skin applying the later coats. I don't think this has been everyone's experience, but probably more than half my enjoyment of safety razor shaving has come from that aspect of it, which of course you don't need a safety razor to do.

The important thing is to do what feels good and hope that it looks good. I don't think anyone has ever noticed the specifics of my shaving except Fayili, though. You might have different results.
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 29 Jan 2015, 01:45

I use a Parker 98R with Feather blades and Maggard Orange Menthol soap. My brush is boar and something my stepdad found when going through his dads stuff. I probably should get a new brush but it works right now. I'm debating picking up a kamisori while here in japan.

Also, it's important, shower, use a preshave (I really like Proraso White) then when a beginner, just do with the grain and across the grain the first few times, against the grain is where you're most likely to mistreat your skin.

I recommend Maggards Razors if you're in the US, great customer service, and if you're just starting they have their own line of inexpensive razors that are quite good.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 29 Jan 2015, 10:06

I picked a 1930's GEM travel straight razor about a half a year ago. I love it! It came in this art-deco stainless steel traveling case with purple plush interior... because the classist of shaves must be mine. Then my lady-friend got me an Art of Shaving shaving kit for Christmas because she felt bad that I had to keep shaving my beard off for reenacting. Sometimes I do miss the ease of not being able to shave fast at any time like with an electric razor, but I do love the convenience and I just feel like a boss doing it.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 05 Feb 2015, 05:17

Just tried online-ordering shoes for the first time. I'm a lovely awkward size, 5 1/2 (UK), precisely below the size 6 bottom cutoff for nearly all mens shoe lines (assuming the store is even stocking their range below a size 7). However of course no two size 6s are the same, so it's a constant annoyance finding any non-trainer shoes - especially smart ones.
The online order didn't really work out, two pairs of size 6 boots and a pair of smart shoes from ikon are too big and a pair of size 6 Vans chauffeur trainers which are a bit too snug to get into easily...

Arg!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Feb 2015, 11:30

In all seriousness, consider buying women's shoes. Simple sneakers and boots would be fine.

Return to “General Discussion”