Foods What We Have Made And Eaten

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
poopintheairtonight
First Video: Checkpoint

Re: Foods What We Have Made And Eaten

Postby poopintheairtonight » 11 Aug 2014, 08:15

Darkobra wrote:I'm vegetarian but thanks for the offer. And with my health lately it's been a struggle to eat and keep anything down. I'm even starting to lose a noticeable amount of muscle. Still, that is actually one of the reasons I got it! For times like this, I'll have that to fall back on. Because if I didn't, I'd get far sicker faster.

But I'm recovering now and my body screamed "EAT YOUR WEIGHT IN CHEESE!" So I got a grilled cheese toastie and I got a tin of spaghetti. Then I dumped the toastie on a plate, carried a hot pot of spaghetti over and realised "Oh fuck. I only got the one plate." So might as well pour it over! Then I WOLFED that bad boy down!

Glorious meal. Gone but not forgotten.

I've had vegetarian sushi before. Was tasty, the part where meat would go was replaced by tofu and avocado.
Well, do you want an ethical solution or an effective one?
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 11 Aug 2014, 08:25

poopintheairtonight wrote:
Darkobra wrote:I'm vegetarian but thanks for the offer. And with my health lately it's been a struggle to eat and keep anything down. I'm even starting to lose a noticeable amount of muscle. Still, that is actually one of the reasons I got it! For times like this, I'll have that to fall back on. Because if I didn't, I'd get far sicker faster.

But I'm recovering now and my body screamed "EAT YOUR WEIGHT IN CHEESE!" So I got a grilled cheese toastie and I got a tin of spaghetti. Then I dumped the toastie on a plate, carried a hot pot of spaghetti over and realised "Oh fuck. I only got the one plate." So might as well pour it over! Then I WOLFED that bad boy down!

Glorious meal. Gone but not forgotten.

I've had vegetarian sushi before. Was tasty, the part where meat would go was replaced by tofu and avocado.

You can also replace it by using carrots. Or cucumber, for instance. The avocado is a must, though :D
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Aug 2014, 08:32

Or yam tempura, if you know what's up.

I made a blackberry pie yesterday of blackberries I'd picked. Was tremendous.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 11 Aug 2014, 11:55

One of the best ways to make a meal, in my opinion, is to start with leftovers. Last week, I finally made a recipe my girlfriend had really been wanting to try - chicken breasts braised in chicken stock, red wine, and a little honey, with carrot, onion, celery, sliced pears and green apples. It was delicious, and went really well with the roasted potatoes and salad we had. Over the course of the next few days, we ate the rest of the chicken sliced on sandwiches. Of course, that left us with all the broth and vegetables.

My solution was simple: curry. I put all the leftover vegetables and stock into a slow cooker, added some curry paste and the leftover roasted potatoes, stirred it up and let it cook on low for about six hours. In the last half hour, I cut the corn kernels off a fresh cob and added them, along with some diced red, green, and yellow pepper, and right before serving I added some pre-cooked shrimp, giving it just enough time to heat through. It didn't really need the corn or the peppers, and they helped add colour and variety to what had otherwise become a fairly uniform stew. My only complaint about that meal was that I ever so slightly undercooked the rice.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Aug 2014, 08:27

Blackberry pie;

viscomica

Postby viscomica » 18 Aug 2014, 08:44

That looks amazing! :-)
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Aug 2014, 08:55

'Twas.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 20 Aug 2014, 09:37

So I made beer, and then made cheese (Well, am still making cheese. It might be done by late November) and then used the left over whey and grains to make the densest bread ever.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 20 Aug 2014, 10:02

Phase 3; beer-cheese soup.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 20 Aug 2014, 10:08

hmmmm
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 20 Aug 2014, 10:08

although after all the work I put into making this cheese, I kind of want to give something more noble a use than soup
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 25 Aug 2014, 13:28

Viscomica learned how to make sushi. It was super effective.

We also made this pepperoni pizza. Vis made the dough. I... helped.
Needless to say it was pretty fucking delicious.

viscomica

Postby viscomica » 25 Aug 2014, 16:30

Yum, yes it was :D
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 26 Aug 2014, 17:09

dang... that Sushi looks great!

so, I just made these after a 2.5 week freeze time, and I pass the recipe on to you cause they were THE BEST pickles I've ever made

inger Garlic Freezer Pickles:

In a large bow, combine the cucumbers, onion, carrot, garlic, ginger and pickling salt. Let stand for 2 hours. Then drain, rinse, and drain again. The cucumbers should still taste of salt.

Combine the vinegar and sugar and stir to dissolve the sugar. Pour over the vegetables. Pack in the freezer containers, leaving about 1 inch head space. Freeze.

Defrost in the refrigerator at least 8 hours before serving.

3 cups cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly slice
1 carrot, grated or 1/2 cup matchstick carrot
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 inch piece of fresh ginger root, very thinly sliced
1 tablespoon pickling salt
1 cup white or apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 27 Aug 2014, 06:18

So I made nut-free granola and granola bars last night. Nut free because I might be allergic to nuts and so my little guy can bring it to school. Now all I have to do is get him to eat it. Which is the reason for the chocolate covered granola bars.
Last edited by MinniChi on 13 Sep 2014, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
poopintheairtonight
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby poopintheairtonight » 31 Aug 2014, 19:57

So I made pancakes using Hard Apple Cider the other day. I ran out of milk and thought "Well any liquid would work right..." Little bit of cinnamon just to accent the taste of the apples and they were delicious.

In the future though I might use unfiltered apple juice instead. The fizzyness of canned hard apple cider meant the pancakes were a little lighter than I intended, and the smell of alcohol pretty much stuck around in the kitchen.
Well, do you want an ethical solution or an effective one?
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 13 Sep 2014, 17:15

I can shuck oysters! Not terribly fast, about 1 oyster every 1.5 minutes, but still pretty good, without being actually taught.

So to celebrate my brother-in-laws impending nuptials, my fiancé took his brother out for a bachelor party, and I kept the bride-to-be at home and served her oysters (her favorite). Half a dozen Duxbury's (left), and half a dozen Raspberry points (right). I'm very proud of my plating considering my extreme lack of crushed ice.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Sep 2014, 16:33

Man, do I love oysters!

Having just had truly fresh coconut for the first time recently, I can say they can be quite excellent - the water is quite refreshing and the flesh very tender.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 17 Sep 2014, 20:22

Oh man... getting fresh young coconut just about anywhere for a song was one the best parts about walking around Bangkok.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 21 Sep 2014, 01:42

Bachelor cooking of the simplest and most filling sort: Chilli con Verdura, served on chips. Bloody basic.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 21 Sep 2014, 18:06

It looks delicious!
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 23 Sep 2014, 17:14

Pretty, it is not. This coffee and almond dessert, though, was delicious.

(Recipe here.)
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 23 Sep 2014, 18:42

I can confirm its deliciousness.
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 25 Sep 2014, 05:10

I once tried fried strawberries as an experiment.
Hint; Dont.
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 26 Sep 2014, 08:02

Made some "Chupaqueso con Carne" (based on Howard ‘Schlock Mercenary’ Tayler’s Chupaqueso recipe). We’d made tacos yesterday and had seasoned meat left over, so I put a spoonful of that in the filling (along with some gooey provolone cheese). Also I made mine a little smaller than the recipe - maybe more like 1/3 or 1/4 cup, but this made them easier to handle - cooks faster and easier to flip, if a little more difficult to fold up.

Those less...carnal are free to stick to the 'just cheese' basics; you want full-fat cheddar for the shell (I'd used a cheddar/mozza mix because it was the only pre-shredded cheese I could find that was finely shredded - takes less time to melt), and then something gooey (like mozzarella or similar) and maybe a dash of something flavourful (like parmesan and/or monterey jack) for the filling.

Here's how mine turned out:

Ingredients at left, GOOD Teflon skillet on right, sharp Teflon spatula off-shot to right of stovetop.

As I said, maybe more like 1/3 cup for a little smaller 'wrap'.

I loove this part, watching it bubble and dance, while I'm scraping the edges in a little and testing the integrity.

And...FLIP! Let it sit for a few seconds to get all the tasty (and admittedly horribly unhealthful) grease coat the pan for the second flip.

Flipped back over and fillings in place; ready to fold.

Folded up and ready to cook a little longer on both sides to heat the meat and melt the filling-cheese.

And outta the frying pan, into the....paper towel? (hey, the grease kept it from burning, but now that its job is done, we can get some of it offa there :) )

And in hindsight, I should've eaten the first one while it was still fresh and gooey, instead of making a second, but hey. :)

If anyone's ever having a "I NEED CHEESE-FILLED CHEESE DRIZZLED IN CHEESE SAUCE WITH SHREDDED CHEESE SPRINKLED ON TOP!" hankering; here's your answer. :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion”