Falklands Issue - Your Thoughts

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Falklands Issue - Your Thoughts

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Feb 2012, 08:21

I was wondering what thoughts the forum members had with the on going Falklands issue between Britain and Argentina. This year its the 30th Anniversary.
I'm not sure why but Sean Penn of the Screen Actors Guild, has decided to get involved throwing his support to the country who actually invaded a small island as a political ploy of the ruler Leopoldo Galtieri to overlook troubles caused by his junta at home.
Personally I do think he's a bit of a self absorbed high and mighty arse so I did enjoy his choice sound bite of 'colonialist theology'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17025000

Those not in the know: The Falkland Islands are an archipelago off the coast or Argentina with a trouble past of claims and sightings ranging all the way back to the 15th Century.
Most recently you'll know about the Falklands War with the sinking of the Belgrano the use of Exocet missiles and one sided dog fights.

This will in all likelihood blow over after the anniversary and return to its usual simmering.

Addendum:
Britain did own Calais for a while but we haven't gone back demanding for its return. Although we have created a tunnel for troop movements.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Re: Falklands Issue - Your Thoughts

Postby EnglishMQ » 14 Feb 2012, 09:55

From what I was learned during my History degree, the majority of the people of the Falkland Island are of British decent, use British currency and speak English. They resisted the Argentinians when they invaded and have never shown any interest in becoming Spanish.

I fail to see how they're entitled to an Island they once had over a century ago.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 14 Feb 2012, 10:14

Because Nations arguing over territory are the only thing that is more entitled than your average internet user.

Storm in a teacup really, Argentina is just looking for a political bump so they're bringing it all up again.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 14 Feb 2012, 13:13

...and apparently so's Sean Penn; when was he last in the public eye? Must be working to get attention for that "The Gangster Squad" movie that's currently in post-production.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 14 Feb 2012, 13:19

Screen Actors Guild. Let's not even allude to that particular F word, please.

-m

Edit: I have corrected the OP accordingly.

I am not angry at you.
rustak
First Video: Man Cooking - Swiss Meat Roll

Postby rustak » 14 Feb 2012, 13:27

Keab42 wrote:Because Nations arguing over territory are the only thing that is more entitled than your average internet user.

Storm in a teacup really, Argentina is just looking for a political bump so they're bringing it all up again.

It's more complicated than that -- there have been some significant oil discoveries around the Falklands, and Argentina would certainly like to own them. There was an exploration agreement with the UK which fell apart a few years ago, though I think some work is proceeding with BP in the area.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Feb 2012, 13:34

Matt wrote:Screen Actors Guild. Let's not even allude to that particular F word, please.

-m

Edit: I have corrected the OP accordingly.

It was a silly Team America reference because of the similarity. No harm intended.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 14 Feb 2012, 13:39

Yeah, I know. It's still a homophobic slur. No harm done, but I'd prefer we not employ it.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Feb 2012, 13:51

Roger.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 14 Feb 2012, 14:45

As a few people have said the inhabitants of the Falkland Islands are mostly of British decent and want to remain part of Britain.

The world's boarders have changed quite a bit in the 180 years since the Falklands became British. If the Falklands should be Argentinean than Belgium should still be part of the Netherlands, Washington and Oregon should be part of British North America, Texas should be part of Mexico, Prussia should control most of what is now northern Poland, Austria should rule Hungary, Czechoslovakia and most of former Yugoslavia, Turkey should rule most of the Arab world and so on.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 14 Feb 2012, 16:41

So if the Falklands go to Argentina then I get to be British? I'm okay with that.

Seriously though, this is stupid. Argentina's claim is pretty tenuous.
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
Ed.
First Video: Desert bus 3 (started at day 3)

Postby Ed. » 14 Feb 2012, 17:52

Their claim is worse than that France and Spain have more claim to the islands than Argentina does.

I quite like this image puts it all in perspective.

Calls for negotiations irritate me especially from the US, unless there is a huge reversal in the views of the islanders there is simply nothing to discus at all ever.
Spoilers for your life.
The main character dies at the end.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Feb 2012, 00:39

Nice chart. Your honour we rest our case.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Feb 2012, 00:56

From what I have read the British have made numerous attempts to settle the matter but Argentina rejects anything other than "no its ours." As was previously stated the vast majority of the population loves the queen. From what I have read from various sources of the roughly 3200 people who call the place home, roughly 50 are Argentinian and FEW on the islands seek independence from Britain and less than 10 have expressed a desire for association with Argentina. How is that an issue.

1. Why actors in general feel we should listen to their political opinions any more than we would listen to our neighbor. I think Matt, Graham and Paul are talented thespians, but I dont care what they think about politics because of two things, first they are Canadian so we dont vote in the same elections and two I dont know them well enough to have a in depth conversation which politics should be.

2. What does Sean Penn have to do with Argentina or Great Britain?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 15 Feb 2012, 01:29

What does the U.S have to do with it?

Last time I checked, they made a point of remaining neutral from the Falklands conflict. If you decided to remain neutral during a war I don't think you get to have an opinion during peace talks. So yeah, U.S calling for negotiations feels like a very opinionated guy trying to give everyone his words of wisdom when no one asked for it nor was it required.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 15 Feb 2012, 02:00

For fuck's sake, it's a bunch of rocks, sheep, and seabirds! What the fuck could anyone want with that place? Strategic importance? In case, I dunno, the Antarctic penguins get uppity?

~Alja~
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 15 Feb 2012, 05:19

Lord Hosk wrote:From what I have read the British have made numerous attempts to settle the matter but Argentina rejects anything other than "no its ours." As was previously stated the vast majority of the population loves the queen. From what I have read from various sources of the roughly 3200 people who call the place home, roughly 50 are Argentinian and FEW on the islands seek independence from Britain and less than 10 have expressed a desire for association with Argentina. How is that an issue.

1. Why actors in general feel we should listen to their political opinions any more than we would listen to our neighbor. I think Matt, Graham and Paul are talented thespians, but I dont care what they think about politics because of two things, first they are Canadian so we dont vote in the same elections and two I dont know them well enough to have a in depth conversation which politics should be.

2. What does Sean Penn have to do with Argentina or Great Britain?

THIS; so totally this.

1. Yeah, and musicians (Don Henley...Michael Stipe...Bon-FUCKING-o...etc.) too.

2. As near as I can tell, he's just doing a little 'tertiary marketing' for that film he's in that coming out in a while. :roll:

As for putting the Crew under #1, for me it's a little different because a) they and I are (just about) the same nationality, and b) we DO broach political topics in the fora here. Even so, it's not that uncommon that I'll disagree with Them (I know, I know, calm down) partially because I'm more than a decade older than Them, but mostly because we're on opposite sides of a not-insubstantial continent, resulting in still rather different cultures.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Feb 2012, 05:49

Alja-Markir wrote:For fuck's sake, it's a bunch of rocks, sheep, and seabirds! What the fuck could anyone want with that place? Strategic importance? In case, I dunno, the Antarctic penguins get uppity?

~Alja~

There is a lot of oil nearby. Who ever controls it controls the black gold.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 15 Feb 2012, 08:52

My question is: Why now? They've had 30 years to complain about this.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 15 Feb 2012, 09:25

Brits retired the Harrier, of course.

Would be awesome if this brought them out of mothballs, though.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 15 Feb 2012, 09:29

You mean they waited until we cut back our armed forces so we couldn't possibly mount a defense? That's cunning that is.

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Feb 2012, 09:45

I still put my money on tommy and the limeys. I worked with the red devils and them boys are CRAZY!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
rustak
First Video: Man Cooking - Swiss Meat Roll

Postby rustak » 15 Feb 2012, 11:49

Geoff_B wrote:My question is: Why now? They've had 30 years to complain about this.

Oil exploration in the area wasn't economically feasible until fairly recently.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Feb 2012, 14:05

rustak wrote:
Geoff_B wrote:My question is: Why now? They've had 30 years to complain about this.

Oil exploration in the area wasn't economically feasible until fairly recently.

They have been complaining for 30 years, they are just getting loud now because they want to strip mine the ocean floor everywhere within a 100 miles of their coast.

[–]Graham_LRR
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 15 Feb 2012, 14:08

Look, they trounce us in the world cup, what more do they want?

Return to “General Discussion”