Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Phailhammer » 02 Apr 2014, 18:43

My normal four-car train has effectively become a three-car because someone kicked a window out. So now I'm standing in the non-air conditioned vestibule of the third carriage. -_-
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 02 Apr 2014, 19:38

So my scene partner didn't memorize her lines in the two weeks we had to do it, and now when I try to schedule time to help her with it, she doesn't respond to me. This scene is going to be shit, and it's not going to be my fault.
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 02 Apr 2014, 19:43

My laptop up and died on me. Great. There goes my life.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 03 Apr 2014, 12:35

So one of the professors at law school wants me to get a nearly fucking impossible sentence published in one book that I have no access to because you have to be subscribed to a certain online magazine to have it. On top of that she decides to give the instructions for the paper in an invisible sheet of paper no one seems to have gotten a hold of. She claims she fotocopied it when in fact she didn't get off her ass to do so.
There's more! This particular paper defines wether we stay in her class or not. WHAT??? Are you fucking kidding me?
Professors who put impossible tasks upon their students need to die in a hole, like now.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 03 Apr 2014, 13:34

@Viscomica: What's the publication info for the article (magazine, issue, title, etc)? I don't know what databases you have access to by your school but I could see if it's available to my school. Or is it one of those fluffier pubs that wouldn't show up in a database?
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 03 Apr 2014, 13:41

auberginequeen wrote:@Viscomica: What's the publication info for the article (magazine, issue, title, etc)? I don't know what databases you have access to by your school but I could see if it's available to my school. Or is it one of those fluffier pubs that wouldn't show up in a database?

Thanks Auberginequeen! In fact it's an Argentine online magazine, but thanks for the offer anyway :D I ended up calling my dad who, apparently, has access to that database from work. I didn't know this prior to my venting post. Still I think it's super unfair of my professor but... I guess now I have a little bit of hope :D
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 03 Apr 2014, 15:09

Well, I did the scene, and the director told us to go back and learn our lines. It's frustrating that he now thinks less of me because of her incompetence.
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 03 Apr 2014, 19:11

viscomica wrote:
auberginequeen wrote:@Viscomica: What's the publication info for the article (magazine, issue, title, etc)? I don't know what databases you have access to by your school but I could see if it's available to my school. Or is it one of those fluffier pubs that wouldn't show up in a database?

Thanks Auberginequeen! In fact it's an Argentine online magazine, but thanks for the offer anyway :D I ended up calling my dad who, apparently, has access to that database from work. I didn't know this prior to my venting post. Still I think it's super unfair of my professor but... I guess now I have a little bit of hope :D

Any time. Glad to hear you worked it out. :)
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 04 Apr 2014, 06:39

Went to a peaceful demonstration protest.
Got yelled at by people driving by, as you might expect at any protest.
The one that really annoyed me, though, was "Get a job!"

This makes absolutely ZERO sense to me.
How is it not possible, in their mind, to both have a job and do this as well?
It's as if they don't have the concept that you could be doing this outside of your working hours, that you might not have the same working hours or even working days that they do, or that you might have requested vacation time from your job to come to the protest.

I just don't understand...
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 04 Apr 2014, 07:04

The stereotype has most protestors as being either students, the unemployed or folk without what my great grandfather might have called a 'proper' job- they're unlikely to work in a bank, for example. So it's an easy, and lazy jibe- I think whoever it was just wanted something to throw at ye, not anything with particular thought behind it.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
leapy
First Video: One of the old ENN ones, it was ages ago

Postby leapy » 04 Apr 2014, 07:29

Turns out that I DID in fact get paid, just didn't get paid enough to come out of my overdraft.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 04 Apr 2014, 11:54

When you require some 5000 words to be written in flawless English, and they are currently in Korean, Mr. Google Translate is not your friend.

There is a reason that translators can continue to find gainful employment.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 04 Apr 2014, 14:39

Ptangmatik wrote:When you require some 5000 words to be written in flawless English, and they are currently in Korean, Mr. Google Translate is not your friend.

My own venting: not easily :(

Been trying to look for translating jobs for months (years if you include the ones I looked for in France) for English-French or French-English and it's a real pain. Every so often you find a job that takes a day and pays 10 dollars (and that's another thing. People seem to think it's instant or whatever. I've seen some offer rates that translate to 2 bucks an hour and they seem to think it's fair).

And most people you complain to will just tell you "Well why would they pay you more, they can use Google Translate for free!" which is very frustrating >.>

Wish I could help you with your Korean but I don't speak it yet. Been thinking I should learn more languages to broaden my options, though, but not sure Korean is so high on the list. I'm sure not a huge amount of people speak it, but there is probably not a huge demand for translators either.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 04 Apr 2014, 14:49

Ptangmatik wrote:When you require some 5000 words to be written in flawless English, and they are currently in Korean, Mr. Google Translate is not your friend.

Where's beramode when you need him? :P
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 04 Apr 2014, 16:10

Beramode, as far as I can tell, is a God amongst his countrymen.

That really sucks Avi, there are a LOT of bell ends out there who just don't understand what they're actually asking for, or what it's truly worth. I do a fair amount of English as a Second Language (ESL) stuff, and I'm always over the moon when it comes in from a particular client, as she's clearly a translator and the stuff she sends, while not perfect (hence the need for me), is miles better than 80% of the rest of the stuff I do. All the stuff has already been turned into English of some form or another before I see it, I can't speak or read Korean (or any other foreign language competently).
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 04 Apr 2014, 19:27

Avistew wrote:Wish I could help you with your Korean but I don't speak it yet. Been thinking I should learn more languages to broaden my options, though, but not sure Korean is so high on the list. I'm sure not a huge amount of people speak it, but there is probably not a huge demand for translators either.

You'd be surprised! There are lots of official documents which need translations. For instance, I think on tuesday at my office some of the lawyers had a meeting with Russian delegates to negotiate a treaty and guess what! The treaty will be in both languages. Obviously a Russian translator will be needed. I'm willing to think there are lots of Korean official documents too and so on and so on.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 05 Apr 2014, 08:20

Avistew wrote:My own venting: not easily :(

Been trying to look for translating jobs for months (years if you include the ones I looked for in France) for English-French or French-English and it's a real pain. Every so often you find a job that takes a day and pays 10 dollars (and that's another thing. People seem to think it's instant or whatever. I've seen some offer rates that translate to 2 bucks an hour and they seem to think it's fair).

And most people you complain to will just tell you "Well why would they pay you more, they can use Google Translate for free!" which is very frustrating >.>

Wish I could help you with your Korean but I don't speak it yet. Been thinking I should learn more languages to broaden my options, though, but not sure Korean is so high on the list. I'm sure not a huge amount of people speak it, but there is probably not a huge demand for translators either.
I see you're in California. Do you happen to be in the San Francisco area? If so, the company I work for could really use a French-English translator, to free up some other people to do other stuff. If you can also do some tech support tickets when not translating, all the better.

If this interests you, send a resume and a writing sample (1000 words or more on a technological subject, should be detailed and explain the subject's subtleties) to: [email protected]

https://www.gandi.net/job/

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 05 Apr 2014, 09:31

OK, so now I'm arguing with someone about how to argue correctly... How has my life gotten this meta? *shakes head and facepalms*

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 05 Apr 2014, 11:40

AdmiralMemo wrote:OK, so now I'm arguing with someone about how to argue correctly... How has my life gotten this meta? *shakes head and facepalms*

Did you break out into Monty Python's Argument Sketch?
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 05 Apr 2014, 11:53

I was once barraged in insults by a former friend of mine (this wasn't too long before he became a former friend), one of them being that I acted like a 5 year-old and couldn't debate like an intelligent human being... Never mind that this guy wouldn't ever admit that he was wrong about anything, and was the most stubborn person I'd ever met. It was literally impossible to discuss/debate with him.
Hurp-De-Durp!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 05 Apr 2014, 13:16

Elomin Sha wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:OK, so now I'm arguing with someone about how to argue correctly... How has my life gotten this meta? *shakes head and facepalms*
Did you break out into Monty Python's Argument Sketch?
Unfortunately, no. :(

Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Apr 2014, 23:10

I find it extremely hard to believe that a person can live their entire lives without realizing what a massive cunt they are.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 06 Apr 2014, 00:30

Prospero101 wrote:I find it extremely hard to believe that a person can live their entire lives without realizing what a massive cunt they are.

Oh that's easy- as somebody pointed out to me once, everybody is the absolute scum of the earth to somebody else.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 06 Apr 2014, 13:31

Oh god please help me getting together with my most recent ex is starting to sound really good right now. Fuck.

I just want someone curvy to kiss and cuddle and have loads of sex with.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Apr 2014, 14:25

The Jester wrote:Oh god please help me getting together with my most recent ex is starting to sound really good right now. Fuck.

I just want someone curvy to kiss and cuddle and have loads of sex with.

I think Mr. M. Wiggins said many years ago in a podcast: "If anyone wants some blond loving" to head his way. I'm sure he was talking to the lady from Caprica but I'm sure there was some blurry lines of ambiguity.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.

Return to “General Discussion”