What'ca Got Beef Wit? [#StripSearch Edition]

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Graham
Super Moderator

What'ca Got Beef Wit? [#StripSearch Edition]

Postby Graham » 27 May 2013, 23:16

I'm fairly sure this is a vocal minority, but regardless we don't need this buggering up the SS/DB thread. So.
What, if any, are your problems with Strip Search?
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: What'ca Got Beef Wit? [#StripSearch Edition]

Postby empath » 28 May 2013, 05:10

Okay.

I regret the (sadly essential) competitive elimination aspect; watching a cool person leave every 'game day'.

I suppose my 'dream show' would essentially be just sort of an reality show about an 'artist's enclave' - of a group of promising webcomic'ers gathered together ultimately to be taught tricks of the trade and whatnot through competitions - basically they just have a two (or three?) challenges a day that are rewarded like the social challenges - the best gets a prize.

Or maybe even have the 'elimination' challenge in the evening, but after M&J pick which strip is the better, that artist gets a prize and BOTH go back to the house. Then after n days (maybe the eliminations were arranged as a sort of round-robin so everyone got a chance to 'draw off' against everyone else), M&J would come to the house, and pick a winner who got that grand prize.

Mind you, with the above format change, maybe it'd be better with a smaller group - seven or eight instead of twelve...

But yeah, I realize a) this'd be more work as it'd probably last longer (and be more costly for the makers in terms of prizes ;) ), and 2) it probably wouldn't have as much popular appeal as a typical 'reality show elimination competition'. Oh, well. :)
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 May 2013, 05:19

A personal solution to not enjoying a cool person leave "every day" is to either:
1) Not watch the elimination (and pretend the cool person is just in bed for the rest of the series and pretend that they're not eliminated)
2) Don't watch the results of the elimination (and pretend the other participant is in bed all day)

That's what Sarah Millican the British comic does with all reality TV.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 28 May 2013, 06:20

Hmmm. My opinion is going to have to come with more caveats and back story than opinion: (skip to the last two paragraphs if you must)

Reality TV. I remeber back when I was 16 or so and the first series of Big Brother came on air, making claims about how it was a 'psychological experiment' this intrigued me, I checked it out only to be left supremely disappointed. It was clearly a fish tank, the competitors were roughly of that ability. All this Honey BooBoo, My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, Super Sweet Sixteen, Jersey Shore and so on are all the same as this, car crash TV you're not supposed to be able to look away from in case you miss out on seeing some screeching narcissist prove everyone's suspicions about what a terrible person they are and what a saint you, the viewer, is in comparison.

This adds nothing to humanity except entrenches peoples beliefs about sections of society. Basically causes racism.

The Apprentice, The Bachelor, I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here and similar all take in, often vaguely unpleasant people and march them through a series of ritualistic humiliations egging them on to behave and speak in an unusually extreme manner, then edits the footage into a narrative that can be spoon-fed to the audience until they're baying for the blood of a random contestant, just because they once said something daft, vindictive or even used a phrase that can be taken out of context to mean something terrible, just as long as that can be repeated in promos, those bits before and after advert breaks, newspapers, everywhere. For instance: watch the apprentice candidates describe themselves. They all sound like preening shits, and they do EVERY YEAR. Presumably they would have watched previous years competitors and seen them act like twats? The producers goad them into every bullshit phrase then cut out anything that makes them seem vaguely relatable.

This is again, reinforcing stereotypes people hold about one another, with a huge scoop of schadenfreude as you watch some 80s icon get showered with bugs, or some business person get shouted at by a tiny angry balding man for being unable to perform a task barely tangentially related to the high-level business skills they presumably have.

'Structured reality': The Kardashians, those Essex or Chelsea people, the storage unit bidding people and so on. These people are taken as role models. People aspire to join in storage unit auctions to bid on some poor failure's final scraps thinking they're going to find a Van Gogh's lost Sunflowers when all they'll really get is mouldy cardboard and broken dreams. People think they don't have to try in school because as long as they act 'outrageous' enough, someone will come film their lives. The storage units are apparently often rigged and the idea that anyone can aspire to live like a Kardashian saddens me.

StripSearch: You care about the artists, you clearly respect them as people as well as their talents. You don't misrepresent them, they are genuinely people worthy of respect, they are not expected to degrade themselves, clearly everyone involved had a wonderful time and there's a genuinely worthy prize at the end. I also understand that you guys aren't just sketch comedians any more, you're a production company that does a lot of comedy and that shit needs to be bankrolled.

I just, to me you guys are artists, LRR sketches are consistently decent and sometimes utterly beautiful works of comedic art. Reality TV contributes so very little to humanity and it subtracts so much, StripSearch is probably just about the best reality TV could ever aspire to and yet it's never left me helpless with laughter, I doubt it ever will.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 28 May 2013, 08:31

I have no beef with StripSearch. I'm just not particularly interested. I stopped reading webcomics a while ago - the ones I originally enjoyed were either unfunny and failed to progress their art or humour (XKCD) plunged down the rabbit hole of drama and simply lost my interest (Questionable Content) or I decided that the people running it didn't deserve my traffic (PA).

That said, from everything I've heard of the series, you managed to produce the kind of reality series I would enjoy. It's like in Top Chef, one of the series I enjoy - the show always becomes much more enjoyable to me once the last asshole leaves and what you're left with is a group of tremendously talented people competing hard with one another, but still respecting one another to a great degree, and even being friends. It sounds like you captured that aesthetic, for which I applaud you.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 28 May 2013, 10:50

Out of interest, when did you stop reading QC? I still read it, but find it far less compelling now than when I was just going through the archives. I have a similar relationship with Strong Female Protagonist, but that gets a pass for just being goddamn awesome.

As for Strip Search... well, it's not my favourite LRR product, but I just like learning about a series of awesome people who are treated nicely. The show itself is somewhat limited by format, but that's probably just personal preference since I don't watch reality TV as a rule. My only complaint (and it's a very minor one) is that the show is kinda running out of art-related stuff to do, which is fine in small doses (really enjoyed the go-karting, for instance) but can get a bit dull in bigger quantities (Jungle speed, for instance). Not sure what can really be done about that, however, since there's only so much stuff that an Artist is required to do on a regular basis.

But no beef 'part from dat.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 28 May 2013, 12:36

Ptangmatik wrote:The producers goad them into every bullshit phrase then cut out anything that makes them seem vaguely relatable.

This actually did happen once during Strip Search, though I'm not sure if it was intentionally since I think it was meant to come off as more joking in retrospect. The part at the very end of the first episode has Abby saying 'I'm not here to make friends.' Which in turn makes her seem like she was going to be 'the competitive one who tries to win by any means, especially underhanded' in terms of reality tropes. Considering how little we knew about the show at the time, it was hard to tell what each person was going to be like. It was one of the reasons I didn't like her at first.

(Spoilers past this point)

There's only one thing about Strip Search that I've had beef with. I've mentioned it before, but since this is the 'official' complaints thread, I'll bring it back up. The day four elimination and what went down still bothers me. The way it was handled, the fact it occurred at all, and the implications it had really kind of annoyed me.

The main problem I had was that both artists were considered poor when compared to others' work. The way the previous elimination had gone down made it so that, since it was just the next day for them, it seems like Mike and Jerry were still under the influence of those feelings.

Looking back at the comics, I think they were both pretty good. Not great, and not as good as Lexxy's from the night before I'll admit, but better than some comics that had won before to me. This was also not helped by the fact they had what I believe were the worst prompts we've seen so far. 'Flatulence' and 'County Fair' seem to me as a bad combination for coming up with something beyond an easy gag. And one of them did go for the easy gag (Nick's), though even that was somewhat unique. The other seemed more high-concept to the point of not being clear (Mac's). But I don't think either were bad enough for them to both just be kicked out. It just seems somewhat insulting to the two in my opinion. Of course, I wasn't part of this at all, so my opinion means jack really.

But as a result, I really don't want Lexxy to win. I do like Lexxy. She seems like a nice person, as do all of the artists. But it'd leave a bad taste in my mouth for the series as a whole if she did. Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy for whoever wins since they honestly all seem like they deserve it. But having her arbitrarily brought back like that just seems... unfair to me. It's hard to tell where things would be right now if that hadn't happened.

But these are personal issues and complaints. This decision was made quite a while ago, and the decision was made by those running it. I might not agree with it, but I have to live with it. Such is life really.
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 28 May 2013, 12:52

SInce I'm being forced at gunpoint to name a beef I would say (and I've said it before) I don't like how the people who are going up for elimination I just don't think it's a good system but I think the contestants are doing the best out of it.

Other things are mainly due to format, but I prefer to watch shows that give some focus to teaching the contestants and letting them hone their skills. Maybe extending the show with a "these are a few tips for doing this" as an event after the elimination, like what Masterchef Australia have. But it's probably just me who would find that interesting.
I really liked the, I think it was Jungle Speed episode. I liked how relaxed it was for the contestants to do something that felt more like a game than a contest, and Tavis talking about his feelings.

And I have a beef with all the feels in the show, it hurts my eyes and they start to bleed salty "water".
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 28 May 2013, 13:05

I appreciate that most of the comments are just "well, it's not my thing". Thanks guys!

Kapol, Day 4 Elimination was weird for everyone on the production side too (and I'm including M&J in that). It happened just how you saw it, and I don't know what we could've done otherwise.

The key point is, it's not meant to be an objective "You are the best" verdict, it's all down to Mike & Jerry, and that's how they felt. I can't fault them for that, even if it did look weird to some people.

I can assure you it had nothing to do with being predisposed to Lexxy (as some online have surmised, as if it's a conspiracy). It was entirely on the merit of her comic.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 28 May 2013, 13:28

I understand. I didn't mean to imply that they were doing it because they liked Lexxy. My point was that I feel they may have been influenced by the difficulty from the night before's choice. Going from such great comics to the two that were comparatively sub-par might have influenced the decision was my point. It could have been any artist really, not just Lexxy.

I forgot to mention that the night before's choice, and the difficulty in making it, was another reason it bothered me. That decision is still one of the highlights of the show for me. The raw emotion involved made the entire series feel so much more real to me, because it WAS real. The decision on the fourth night just kind of felt like it took away from that difficult choice.

And the being down to Mike and Jerry was kind of my point about the decision being made by those running it. Mike and Jerry are the ones making the decision. I understand that they chose based on their own feelings on the matter. Hence why I don't really blame Lexxy (or really anyone) for it happening. It's not like it was a pre-planned 'twist' or some garbage like that; it seemed like it was just how things went down. And while I may disagree or dislike it, I can respect the fact that it was their choice in the end. They're human too after all.

The whole ordeal was just something that bothered me quite a bit at the time. It still does to some degree. That's why I brought it up. But I'm not mad at anyone for it anymore though. I don't hold a grudge for it happening. It's just something that occurred on the show that nagged at me.

And you know what? Oh well. I've enjoyed the rest of the series quite a bit. It's not as though I paid for it in any way. So I can't complain too much. I guess the main reason I mention it is to put it out there, since I'm sure I'm not the only person who felt bothered by it.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 May 2013, 14:16

One observation (which could be considered negative) is that the out come of the challenges doesn't really matter. People have won certain challenges and then got eliminated. Even with the challenges directly relating producing artwork this happens. Social Challenges oddly seem different.
Click to reveal the spoilers (results for days 1 - 9 blatant)

Day 1: Maki Social. Amy Competitive (later Eliminated){5}
Day 2: Lexxie Social. Nick Competitive (later Eliminated){4}
Day 3: Amy {5} & Erika Social {6}(later eliminated). Nick Competitive (later eliminated){4}
Day 4: Mac from team Mac{4}iatie Social (later eliminated). Erika Competitive (later eliminated){6}
Day 5: Katie social. Monica Challenge {7}(later eliminated)
Day 6: Lexxie social. Tavis Challenge{8} (later eliminated)
Day 7: Katie social. Katie Challenge.
Day 8: Abby social. Katie Challenge.
Day 9: Not finished

Basically Don't win a Challenge, or you'll be eliminated eventually. Doesn't look well for Katie

Katie is the only participant that has won (2) challenge(s) and is still in the competition)
Last edited by Merrymaker_Mortalis on 28 May 2013, 14:30, edited 2 times in total.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 28 May 2013, 14:23

To be fair, all but one will be eliminated at some point. The only challenges that are incredibly important to win are the elimination challenges.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 May 2013, 14:26

Yes, but the current final 4 have won social challenges. The only social challenge victors that got eliminated are Amy&Erica and Mac. It's quite a frightening pattern

I'll go back to the stripsearch and page and note when the people got eliminated.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 28 May 2013, 14:29

Merrymaker, it's statistically inconsequential. Trust me as a qualified mathematician
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 28 May 2013, 15:52

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:One observation (which could be considered negative) is that the out come of the challenges doesn't really matter.
I don't consider that negative at all. No one goes home without meeting M&J, and drawing a comic.

This is actually what I bring up whenever someone says something like, "You're going to eliminate someone cause they can't X"

No, that's just the system the show uses to get people to the stage.
The challenges are VERY important, but not for who leaves the show.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 28 May 2013, 16:00

I really dont like the redraw ticket, not the idea of a "special can help you later" but how it worked out.

If I am taking this correctly the rules for the redraw ticket are:
Artist 1 draws word A, artist two draws word B, the artist with the redraw ticket may discard either word and draw a new random word which both players will create a comic based on.

From my perspective this doesn't give the artist with the ticket a advantage. Possible outcomes to the ticket. Artist 1 gets rid of Word A for Word C and:

1. the combo helps contestant one as A and B didnt work together for them, The combo helps because they didnt have an idea and now they do while artist two had an idea but now doesnt, (helps the person who won it)
2. the combo helps artist two because they didnt have an idea and now they do but artist one still doesnt have an idea, (hurts the person who won it)
3. The Combo gives both artist an idea where they didnt have one before (helps both artists equally)
4. both artists had kinda of an idea but are now both lost (hurst both artists)
5. Various shades of 1,2,3,4.

Only one of those is a real "prize" as compared with "selling shirts in the PA store" "awesome new computer" "getting paid for your board art" ...

Im not saying "well one is immediate monetary and physical and the other is a advantage to get your closer to the grand prize" I would understand that. To me the redraw ticket has just as much chance of hurting the artist who "won" it as it does to "help them" Maybe slightly less than equal because they wouldnt use it if they had a great idea but still.

To me better options for the ticket would be.
1. Only the artist with the ticket gets the new word.
2. The artist gets to draw a new word and decided which word they want to replace after.
3. Only the artist with the ticket gets the new word and they get to decided which word they want to replace.
4. The artist with the ticket gets to choose which two of the three words they use and which two their opponent uses.

Each of those options and many other options keep the idea intact but serve as a advantage to the artist who won rather than equal to each or potentially bad for the artist who won.

++++++++++

I really don't like how much of your time and energy it is pulling away. The entire LRR crew seems to be getting really run down by how big the project is. Sure you love it, and we love it but I dont think anyone likes seeing people they like all stressed and worn out all the time. For season two I hope you either have a little more help or a little more time.
+++++++++

As has been noted, I dont like the elimination/bring back. I understand the emotions and the desire to get a great artist but I think breaking the rules of the competition no matter how much it "seemed right" felt wrong.

From my perspective The Areola Circus was a easier pair of words than Flatulence Country Fair. And I know that is going to happen based on random chance its like getting mana screwed in Magic. But they got two great comics on a great pair of words and got two OK comics the next day based on a crummy pair of words. The nature of picking two random words means that two artists will be on equal footing to each other but other artists with different words while on equal footing with each other wont be equal to the first pair.

This is how I perceive it:
Day three the rules were draw a citrus fruit. Lexxy drew a grapefruit, Tavis drew a orange. Day four the rules were draw an apple Mac drew a Granny Smith and nick drew a Fugi then the judges said "well I dont like apples you people who drew apples are out of here." Mac and Nick weren't told to draw citrus but got eliminated for not doing so.
Last edited by Lord Hosk on 28 May 2013, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 28 May 2013, 16:23

Lord Hosk wrote:+++++++++
For season two I hope you either have a little more help or a little more time.
+++++++++

I believe what they need is a little energon and a lot of luck.

My only complaint is that you didn't film SS in Boston. I know nothing about Seattle and demand that you bend to my will
#notreally #lovetheshowgreatjob
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 28 May 2013, 17:55

I agree with some of the aforementioned beefs, but I also see fixes for them.

A) Going up for elimination: while immunity is good for the winner, having them choose the two to go up kinda sucks as a 'prize'. My suggestion is that the winner of the competitive challenge gets immunity, and the judges either 1) name the bottom two for elimination [the most common trope(?)], or 2) name the worst of the bunch and that person chooses who goes against them in elimination [a la Last Comic Standing's vote of "I know I'm funnier than X" where that person then got to choose someone who voted for them.]

B) Taking away from LRR: We totally understand how awesome this is as an opportunity, and we want you guys to flourish to do more of these things. But they are right, you need more help. Perhaps, you could get one or two people to do on-site editing of the daily footage as a first pass (like what Kate is doing now) and then when you get back from shooting the whole thing, you guys can do the finishing edits. Also, with pre-production, we don't know how much help you all had, but I admit I'd totally learn how to do production/set design so that the house would be set up interestingly and thematically to the show (though I think you said you rented the house fully furnished so that kinda screws that) and all I'd need is budget, time, and a constant supply of Iced Tea and Twizzlers to keep me running. I know there are friends, coworkers, fans, and so on that could help you out more if you asked, but that's up to you guys to make that call.

C) The infamous double elimination: it kinda looked like you didn't plan for that contingency a little bit. Well, now you all know that it can happen. To be honest, you handled it well, but next time, make sure you have it all planned out and written in the rules and contracts. Either do it so that: 1) "in the event of a double elimination, the last artist eliminated gets to return"; 2) "at any time there may be a non-elimination, which will soon be followed by a double elimination, where THREE artists will go up"; or 3) "in the case of a double elimination, the artists will vote for an eliminated player to be brought back."
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 28 May 2013, 19:19

I've already critiqued the use of music in some episodes so I won't rehash that. My only real beef with the show is that the 1-2-eliminate structure results in us not really giving at shit about the first 1-x to get elimated. I know this is entertainment but i feel as a tool for good what stripsearch really does is show off upcoming talent and personalities, and by kicking the weakest early it doesnt let you get a chance to get to know them, even if they are not the best I might still want to read their comic just because it turns out that they as a person are super cool. I'm aware a slightly staggered start to a season might result in a lack of interest(what got me into the show for reals was the eliminations, easily the best part of the series). So had I not seen an elimination by ep-3 I might have not bothered to watch any more. Something to think about I guess.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 28 May 2013, 20:10

Also, I just wanted to say, because I forgot, that just because I suggested those things doesn't mean I don't like Strip Search. I love it to death, especially when Abby is in the Elimination room. Goddamnit is she funny!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 28 May 2013, 20:12

tak197 wrote:But they are right, you need more help.
This we know now. I think we've been handling it pretty well, considering. Props to Kathleen for that.

Nicolas, no, that's not feasible. Simply being on the show is already a huge boon for an unknown artist, and we can't slow the show down just so people can get to know the first couple folks to leave. Them's the breaks.

To all,
I'm not really looking for nitpicky criticisms of the format here. If there's another season, I assure we'll evaluate all the feedback and results from this season.

It just seemed there were some people who just really, really hated the show, and I wanted to address that.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 28 May 2013, 20:44

I dont understand how someone can "really really hate" a TV show or long format internet show. If its not your preference dont watch it seems really easy to avoid why get that worked up. oh well.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 28 May 2013, 20:57

I think I should probably clarify that I in no way "really, really hate" the show. I've already covered what kind of turned me off it.. As I also said, totally respect everyone that does really enjoy it! That's awesome.

It does seem to be the hot topic though, and somewhat.. I'unno.. Taking over everything, it's all anyone ever seems to talk about. Granted, that's going to happen, nothing anyone can ever do to even try to stop it, and no one should do so. I could understand how it could be somewhat irksome though. It's like how irritated friend and I get when the internet literally implodes with circlejerking about DAT NEW AAA GAME DAT'S SO WACK, YO. Kind of.. Kills the enthusiasm and expectation for other people.

This happened with me and RT's Red vs Blue. It suddenly gets some mainstream crowd, the show almost immediately shifts from comedy to intense feels dramedy and.. It doesn't feel right. Yeah, this isn't Strip Search, but it's a little relevant, because it could tend to get on people's nerves a bit when it's all anyone will talk about.. Y'know? Am I being too harsh? I really don't mean to be. :/

EDIT: Aaaaand just noticed your post to me in the other thread, Graham. I understand it'd be silly to put it all together and just rig it.. But yeah. It just seemed a tad.. Off.. That it just happened to be Lexxy (nothing against her, but the past ties and Mike & Jerry being all "Somehow, you will be hired eventually." (according to her fake MtG card in that thread, anyway.. =P)

Hm.. As for M&J themselves.. I'unno. The Kickstarter for the DLC podcast was all kinds of shady. The amount of money PA rakes in for the multiple expos, putting together dinners and golf tournaments.. Sure, the last two are Child's Play related, but dat monies gotta come from somewhere.. I'm sure they're nice guys and all that, maybe it's the egos or something.

And for the record, I didn't take any offence/didn't feel you were being hostile, Graham. You're well within your rights to question it! :D
Last edited by MattAn on 28 May 2013, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 28 May 2013, 21:05

Firstly of all, I love Strip Search, I call t my favorite show on TV, even though it is not technically so. But if it was, it would be. Secondly, I do have a few minor suggestions for improvements, but at Graham's behest I will leave them alone. Instead I will address a problem that a few of you have.

I'm gonna talk about people who were eliminated, so this is your SPOILER ALERT.
I'm fine with the amount of screen time the contestants get, even the eliminated ones. I find the most oppurtune time to really show yourself off, is the elimination stage, and so anyone who has been eliminated has had their chance to earn their fans. I hadn't really picked any favorites going into the first elimination, but Alex easily one me over with his demeanor. Same with Ty. Despite having another day of screen time, I didn't care for him until I saw his elimination comic. I really dug the joke, even though it wasn't very polished, and so I started reading his stuff. Conversely, Forgettable Mcgee Mac was around for four days and not once did I give a crap about him, not even when he went on the elimination.

So yeah, these great people that I dug got eliminated and I wouldn't see them again, but that's where Strip Search is better. It gives you the artists full names and makes a twitter challenge. They're basically telling you to follow these people on Twitter without being twats about it. I didn't even use Twitter before this show, I had an account and tried to make DBFH trend, but that's it. But Strip Search left me wanting for more. Now, I follow all my favorite contestants and can bask in their delightfullness to my heart's content.

Basically, you get as much of the contestants as you are willing to put forth the effort to get.

Oh, also, too much screen time can be a bad thing. Had Lexxy stayed eliminated, I probably would have got around to checking out her work. But after the last few episodes, it's gotten really hard for me to want to.
Image Image Image
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 28 May 2013, 21:13

Sieg Reyu wrote:Oh, also, too much screen time can be a bad thing. Had Lexxy stayed eliminated, I probably would have got around to checking out her work. But after the last few episodes, it's gotten really hard for me to want to.

I think this might be one of my main.. Not a major, fairly minor, issues..
Certain artists seemingly getting way more screen time than others.

I mean.. Am I the only one who would actually be cool with a longer show format? Rather than 10-15 minutes and not really getting much from it.. I would absolutely be cool with 30-45.. As long as it showed more of the artists, more interaction, etc. More of an introduction so we, as viewers, get to learn a lot more about the artist and what their shtick is.

...I'm also a big fan of having a public vote, maybe not for all of the eliminations/challenges, but something to really get the viewers involved too, rather than.. Just watching stuff happen without any form of input.

Return to “General Discussion”