Game of Thrones (Contains spoilers)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Game of Thrones (Contains spoilers)

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Apr 2014, 08:25

Last nights episode contained another rape that was consensual sex in the book. I dont understand this.

The first time it happened with Drogo and Daenerys I could kinda of understand because by our societal norms she was a child and unable to consent although you could easily argue that different times different places 14 is a fully acceptable age for a woman to consent to sex but thats neither here no there.

Jaime's journey from darkness into light is supposed to be well under way by now the death of his eldest son who he recognized as a piece of shit was supposed to cauterize it in his mind that he had to be a better man and make sure that Tommen grows into a strong and just king.

In the book they are walking out and stop to have consensual, if weird, sex on one of the alters, in the show he forces her to the ground and rapes her under the body of their dead son.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Re: Game of Thrones (Contains spoilers)

Postby Darkobra » 21 Apr 2014, 08:32

"Last nights episode" HOLY SHIT STOPPED READING COMPLETELY FORGOT IT WAS TODAY!

Used to getting everything done on a Thursday! Thanks for reminding me!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 21 Apr 2014, 08:38

It did seem rather out of character for Jaime to do that.

I think it was a problem with the directing/editing that made the whole scene come across as pretty rape-y, since I don't THINK that was the intention.

Honestly my own take is that they were going for a sort of them releasing sexual frustration/anger where Cersei wasn't really opposed to it, but at the same time was still angry with Jaime.
I guess we'll see if they go anywhere with it or if it was just a thing they did for shock value.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 21 Apr 2014, 09:36

The trebuchet of slave collars was amazing. Danaerys sure knows how to send a message.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Apr 2014, 09:54

Once I saw where that scene was going I skipped over it. No...just no.

The bit with the slave collars was awesome though.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 21 Apr 2014, 10:40

That scene was completely WTF to me. So not like Jaime. Say what you will about the guy, he has his own code that he sticks to. I can't imagine him raping Cersei. As for the directors not intending it to be rape, I dont buy that. He tore off her clothes and she said no the whole way, even while it was happening.

You say it replaces a scene with consensual sex... Which do you mean? In the book, when Joffrey dies Jaime still isn't back with Brienne, and won't until a while, and when he does come back Cercei and Jaime spend more time rejecting each other for various reasons than actually having sex, so I'm not sure what you mean.

The episode was pretty good otherwise, although it didn't have much to do with the book. I'm curious about what they're doing with Oberron. Tommen was great though, the new actor they got is totally the part.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Apr 2014, 11:00

My understanding is that in the book when Jamie comes back he meets Cercei in the sept, still grieving over Jeoffry. They then have consensual sex just before leaving, which is what this scene replaces.

The scene from the books wouldn't have worked here (Cercei isn't in the same emotional state from simultaneously grieving over Jeoffry and worrying about Jamie, and Jamie is already aware of the growing rift between them), but from my point of view, there was no need to shoehorn in a sex scene to replace it. After the initial embrace and Cercei pulling back and saying "no", they should have just left it there.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 21 Apr 2014, 11:34

Master Gunner wrote:My understanding is that in the book when Jamie comes back he meets Cercei in the sept, still grieving over Jeoffry. They then have consensual sex just before leaving, which is what this scene replaces.

I don't remember that. I remember them almost having sex. I might be wrong, it's been a while by now.

Master Gunner wrote:The scene from the books wouldn't have worked here (Cercei isn't in the same emotional state from simultaneously grieving over Jeoffry and worrying about Jamie, and Jamie is already aware of the growing rift between them), but from my point of view, there was no need to shoehorn in a sex scene to replace it. After the initial embrace and Cercei pulling back and saying "no", they should have just left it there.

I agree. The scene is just weird, doesn't fit Jaime as I see him from the novels (or even the rest of the show), and goes against a few things the show established (such as the rift you're talking about). It seemed they wanted a sex scene and wanted it as shocking as possible.

It already annoys me that half the scenes with Oberron have him getting interrupted in a brothel. Sure, he has a lot of sex and he's bisexual, I get that. But letting clients (especially important clients) get interrupted constantly in a brothel doesn't seem like very good practice. At this point it looks like the Lannisters motto shouldn't be that they always pay their debts, but that they always cockblock.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Apr 2014, 11:50

To be fair he isnt being interrupted by bob the armor smith, he is being interrupted by some of the most powerful and wealthy men in the 7 kingdoms.

And the Lannister motto is "Hear me roar!" which they are doing, forcing the good prince to hear them roar.

I know that for TV there will need to be changes, like the wound that Tyrion received had to be changed because having Peter Dinklage walk around all maimed wouldn't be good for TV. But the change in Robs wife change his character, the way his wife died also changes things. This with Jaime changes him, a lot... Im disappointed.

It seems like a lot of things that they are changing dont even make sense for the TV, they just change things to change them or make them worse.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 21 Apr 2014, 12:21

Well I found an interview with the director about it:

That whole scene has to be one of the most taboo, disturbing things that has happened on the show.

I'm never that excited about going to film forced sex. But the whole thing for me was about dead Joffrey lying there, watching the whole thing. (Showrunners) David (Benioff) and Dan (Weiss) loved that, and I was like, I wanted to make sure I had Jack in there as much as I could. Of course Lena and Nickola laughed every time I would say, "You grab her by the hair, and Jack is right there," or "You come around this way and Jack is right there."

Why was it so important to have Joffrey's body in the scene?

He is their first born. He is their sin. He is their lust, and their love -- their everything. If he's gone, what's going to happen? Jaime is still trying to believe as hard as he possibly can that he's in love with Cersei. He can't admit that he is traumatized by his family and he's been forced his whole life to be something he doesn't want to be. What he is -- but has to deny -- is he is actually the good knight, like Brienne.

I get what they're trying to do, but honestly I didn't get any of that from what was shown.

I've been thinking about it and what my take is this:

In the previous episode we see Jaime being angry at not being able to fight anymore and having to take lessons from Bronn, then there is the scene at the wedding (which AFAIK he's not even supposed to be attending according to the books) where he has a "friendly" chat with ser Loras.

This is probably meant to establish Jaime being frustrated at not being the man he used to be. He went to Cersei as a way of reconnecting to what he was, but when she rejected him he got desperate and exerted dominance over one of the few people he still could.

Then again if the director says otherwise despite nothing to back it up so far, who am I to argue?
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 21 Apr 2014, 13:29

I actually did get the "cycle" thing about them having sex when their son died. Kind of a "let's fix it the way we got him to be born in the first place". But I think the scene would have been much more powerful if Cersei had rejected him because of the grief, situation, etc, and he had become upset and stormed out.

EDIT: Two thoughts I had. The first is, I've always seen Cersei as having more power over Jaime than the other way around. She's also the one who has sex with others (not just Robert, who she's married to at the beginning, so duh, but also the cousin in the first season for instance), while Jaime is seen (in the book) rejecting other women even when he might never see Cersei again (when he's hostage) due to his values. So I can imagine Cersei trying to force things (she's the kind to get upset when things don't go her way) more than Jaime, who tends to have a nonchalant attitude about things.

The second thought is how they call it "forced sex" in the interview. Looks like they were trying to avoid the word "rape?" Failure on that front, people I know have already moved from calling him Kingslayer to Sisterraper.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Apr 2014, 21:22

I think the director interview and what Avistew said are very true to the point.

I dont think the director understands that forced sex is what rape is. I think in his mind there is a difference between the two somehow like maybe people who have had sex before cant rape one another because once consent always consent? Im not sure its dumb.

[–]Graham_LRR
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 21 Apr 2014, 21:40

As Gunner, and maybe a few others know, I have been reading the books this month to get caught up... and then started watching the show. I finished "catching up" with the TV series today.

There are many things I think the show just 'got wrong' in the timing of events and the impact that has on the 'future'. Revealing Littlefinger's personality in the confrontation with Catelyn was one. The casting of Theon was discomforting (and the post-Winterfell story line seemed... excessive.) Rob taking a wife directly against his mother's advice, right in front of her? That seems... against his character, too. At least in the books he did so out of passion in the battle field, and told 'mom' later. Also - why wasn't Catelyn with her father during his last days? Why were they not holding Jaime at Riverrun instead of in a field camp? Why did they change the way John joined the wildlings? Where is the battle at the wall (compared to John's semi-trial for killing Halfhand)? These bothered me, but at the same time seemed nitpicky to me... depending on how they played them out. The return of Jaime to Kingslanding before the death of Joffrey was another piece that had me concerned, and as it was revealed this week, for valid reasons.

Both rape scenes thus far have seemed unnecessary to me. Part of the reason that Dany actually fell in love with Khal Drogo was because of the way he handled their first night, regardless of what his cultural/tribal customs would dictate. In the series, she seems to do come around purely for the dragon eggs... would that be enough to keep the Khaleesi title and the khalasar behind her to even see the dragons come out of the funeral pyre? I think it could be debateable. Character development aside, comparatively, that scene seemed very mild compared to this weeks'.

And as Gunner pointed out, the return of Jaime prior to the wedding has changed the dynamic of the 'sex in the sept' scene. If they couldn't be true to the triggers used in the book, they could have just skipped it (as many of us not watching it live did.) The way they chose to play it out was just... ill-advised for many reasons.

However, I DO think they are doing more justice to "Daenerys the ChainBreaker" than I expected. For the most part, I think they are getting the Misery of Sansa right. I think the events with Stannis and his red lady have been well represented (though again, the timing is a bit off).
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 21 Apr 2014, 23:57

Please do not un-spoiler this unless you've read the books, not just watched the latest episode

I wonder how they'll handle Jon Snow going out in the TV show, it was remarkably incongruous how he died in the book. I still think they would have knocked him out and jailed him instead of outright murdering him for wanting to leave the wall, that really annoyed me.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 22 Apr 2014, 00:42

GRRM talks about this change from the books on his blog, addressing this
http://grrm.livejournal.com/367116.html?thread=19030284#t19030284
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 22 Apr 2014, 03:25

Ptangmatik wrote:Please do not un-spoiler this unless you've read the books, not just watched the latest episode

I wonder how they'll handle Jon Snow going out in the TV show, it was remarkably incongruous how he died in the book. I still think they would have knocked him out and jailed him instead of outright murdering him for wanting to leave the wall, that really annoyed me.

Same disclaimer, don't spoil unless you've read up to the end of book 5.
To be fair, we still don't have confirmation that he's actually dead. He had been stabbed a bunch of times, but I feel they developed his character a lot for little to no pay off so far, so I'd be suprised if something doesn't happen to allow his story to be continued. Ghost saves him? Something involving Bran? Stannis returns and Melisandre revives him? There are a lot of ways that cliffhanger could play out, but he certainly isn't in a good spot.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 22 Apr 2014, 03:43

Ptangmatik wrote:Please do not un-spoiler this unless you've read the books, not just watched the latest episode

Assuming he is, in fact, dead
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Apr 2014, 04:43

Geoff_B wrote:

Assuming he is, in fact, dead

What Geoff_B said, we dont know what you said is true, all we know is that something happened.

[–]Graham_LRR
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 22 Apr 2014, 04:43

I still say that what they did was out of character for the lot of them, irregardless of the outcome.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Apr 2014, 04:57

I disagree entirely it seems right in line with the characters.

The men of the knights watch mostly came to the wall as murderous street thugs and as disgraced men caught in their own vices. Nearly everyone at the wall hated Jon Snow from the beginning but he brought many of them around with his "stark" sense of duty and loyalty things that Bowen Marsh and other "good" men of the wall were very upset that the watch was losing. Marsh thought that Jon Snow would try to take the watch back to a place of honor where men go to serve the realm rather than a place that men go because they have no other choice. He was very upset by Jon choosing a baseborn steward expecting that he would instead choose someone from a great house as the Lord Commanders steward often became a powerful man in the watch. He was also upset that he first accepted wildlings into the watch and then put some of them into positions of power. Most of the Knights Watch had forgotten that their mission wasnt to stop the wildlings it was to stop the dark magics. So it seems perfectly reasonable for Marsh to have attacked him to "save the watch" or rather his vision of the watch.

[–]Graham_LRR
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 22 Apr 2014, 06:26

Lord Hosk wrote:I dont think the director understands that forced sex is what rape is. I think in his mind there is a difference between the two somehow like maybe people who have had sex before cant rape one another because once consent always consent? Im not sure its dumb.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people that do honestly think that way. It wasn't until fairly recently that rape within a marriage was even acknowledged as rape and made illegal. Even more people don't realize that the most frequent assaults are by family members or romantic partners who coerce the victim into it.

It's a sad state of affairs out there sometimes, and things like this episode don't help matters.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 22 Apr 2014, 06:29

The whole story seems to be about people forgetting what they're fighting for/against and just trying to grab power for themselves at the expense of everyone else.

Actually, for those of you who enjoy fanfics, The North Remembers is an excellent continuation of the book series.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 22 Apr 2014, 10:56

To Ptangmatik (do not check the spoilers unless you've read all of the books! This applies to all the spoilers in this post!) I expect both Jon and Brienne to pull a Catelyn, personally. Either way, what you mentioned, at their current rate of about half a book per season which I believe they mentioned wanting to approximate, won't happen for many years.

As for the changes from the book, I enjoyed some, understood some (mostly when they remove characters and used pre-existing ones instead, or kept a character present in the plot at times they don't appear in the books) due to the medium, and got annoyed with some.

With Stannis, I think an element has been lost in the show, I dont feel it's made as clear that he doesn't actually want to be king, but wants to follow his duty and believes he's the rightful heir so it just has to happen, as much as he doesn't like it

I have also some concerns with Shae: At first I thought they were setting us up to be even more shocked when its revealed she never cared for Tyrion, only his money, etc, and that it was why she was portrayed as genuinely loving him ever since the beginning of season 2. In the books its very clear how much money is a factor to her and not much else, and it always seemed to me (even before she betrayed him) that she had no feelings for him and he was just lying to himself. In the show, I'm starting to fear they'll turn the whole thing into "oh no, they got Shae, forced her to testify, even though she loves Tyrion! How tragic" and either kill her in a different way, or, which would be much worse, have Tyrion kill her in such different circumstances that it's jarring and makes him much more evil than he was in the books

I agree with Hosk that they probably figured something like "well, she loves him, and is horny, and would want to but is only saying no because it's happening in front of her son's corpse right after his death, so it's not really rape, right? Plus he loves her!" in the fashion of "it's impossible for a man to rape his wife". But it remains that she fought him with words and actions, he used force and went against her will. And I can't wrap my mind around Jaime doing that, I just can't.
I realise GRR Martin is involved with the show and so it's likely that he okayed the events (if he has that much say) but it's just so jarring... if it had been established that this kind of thing happened between the two of them and was about roleplay, and this time she wasn't roleplaying but he didn't get the distinction, now that might make it more believable... but still completely unnecessary. Plus that has never been their dynamics.

I agree that the Danaerys one wasn't handled too well. As it is, it made her look like a Stockholm victim when she fell in love with her abuser. It doesn't make him look that bad in light of Dothraki culture, but he does become "just one Dothraki" instead of being a uniquely caring character. In other words, even if you give him the excuse that he was raised that way, it removes what made the character special.

I still definitely enjoy the show. The actors are very good, and a lot of the script is great. And as I said, many of the differences can be explained, and some I do like. Scenes between non-point of view characters give the universe more depth that is impossible to give in the books, and that means we get different points of view. But I' m a bit apprehensive now. The wedding episode I thought was really great and close to the book, so I had high hopes... of course then I saw it was the one GRR Martin was in charge of :P
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 22 Apr 2014, 19:01

A friend of mine who is further ahead in the TV show than I am asked me to please watch that one scene with Jaime and Cersei out of sequence (I've been thoroughly spoiled for so many things, so it's not too bad) to see if I had the same reaction to it he did. I get the impression that it upset him more than he was letting on, because of how he asked me to do that. I was also very affected by it, I actually yelled something at the television which I usually try to stop myself from doing. How can we be really expected to have a positive view of Jaime's character after that?
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 23 Apr 2014, 11:02

Duckay wrote:A friend of mine who is further ahead in the TV show than I am asked me to please watch that one scene with Jaime and Cersei out of sequence (I've been thoroughly spoiled for so many things, so it's not too bad) to see if I had the same reaction to it he did. I get the impression that it upset him more than he was letting on, because of how he asked me to do that. I was also very affected by it, I actually yelled something at the television which I usually try to stop myself from doing. How can we be really expected to have a positive view of Jaime's character after that?

I know! I think that might be part of the point. They want us to switvh from one to the other. At the beginning of the scene, my husband was like "I didn't really like Jaime at first but now he's one of the coolest characters". And then, the Nope scene. I'm wondering if they're trying to make people like a character, then when they do, switch to making us hate them, back and forth or something?

Return to “General Discussion”