Game of Thrones (Contains spoilers)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: Game of Thrones (Contains spoilers)

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Jun 2016, 07:57

Turns out a lot of theories died that episode.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Jun 2016, 17:05

Yep. Still got badass Arya though, so I'll take it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
OccamsRazor
First Video: That was a very, very long time ago...

Postby OccamsRazor » 14 Jun 2016, 10:39

This may be a small thing, but...

Do you feel like everyone is being a little hard on Tyrion? I mean, to outright say to him that "Your actions caused this" seems like a little much.

The city was on the brink of civil war, and the Masters had already taken back Astapor and Yunkai. It feels like they would have attacked whether Tyrion tried to make a deal with them or not. If anything, he might have bought them a little time to pull themselves together, and they have lost less Unsullied in the meantime. Or am I missing something here?
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Jun 2016, 11:05

They see him as an outsider who is unfamiliar with the situation he's trying to control - which isn't necessarily an unfair assessment. Since he took command and tried to play is Westerosi game, and now they're under attack, their gut reaction is to tell him off. On top of that, since he failed at diplomacy (his self-proclaimed strong suit), they don't want him messing things up any further.

So yes, they are being hard on him. But they also don't know him, and it's a common human trait find someone to blame when things go to hell.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Jun 2016, 13:08

HOLD THE DOOR!
Last edited by Elomin Sha on 14 Jun 2016, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Jun 2016, 14:04

Did you mean to post in the Art Thread, Elomin, or are you just spreading your bag everywhere now?
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Jun 2016, 15:09

I have sprung a leak.

I was wondering why I thought I had two Art Threads open.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Jun 2016, 01:40

Stuff happened. A lot
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 20 Jun 2016, 02:43

Justice.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Jun 2016, 08:48

Ramsey was a ruthlessy good tactician. His tactics were effective and horrific. I was not disappointed. The Starks prevail.
I want to know the reaction of all the children now to one of them dying. The Stark children had plot armour protecting them. It seems last season it showed that they can still be hurt, and this season it shows that they can even die. Sheet has got real. The Starklets are not immune anymore. Next season will be tense.

I am hope one of Danny's dragons gets killed for the purpose to show that she isn't now unstoppable; that her dragons are mortal.

I liked how the two Masters were slain. They pushed the one in the middle to die, who bent the knee to beg; which saved his life.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 20 Jun 2016, 17:33

Ramsey's a terrible tactician, he's just ruthless and horrifying, and managed to provoke Jon and his forces into a charge before losing the support of his own allies (see how Stannis lost a good chunk of his army). For the following battle, it's tough to tell how much is terrible tactics on Ramsey's vs the Writer's part, but overall it did not go well for Ramsey's side - firing into your own troops is generally considered a poor move.

From my understanding of historical battles, against a charging opponent you'd want to lead with your shield and pike formations, allowing your archers to fire on the charging enemy, and once the lines meet you can continue to fire past your line into the rear of the enemy. Once the enemy lines begin to buckle you send in your cavalry to break/envelope their lines.
As far as the show went, the two sides charged into an indiscriminate melee which Ramsey began firing into - a tactic that actually begins to equalize the two forces. Ramsey's simply depending on defeating Jon through pure numbers rather than actual tactics. Given that Ramsey began with twice the numbers, better trained soldiers, and a wider variety of units, he should have crushed Jon's army as soon as they broke lines to charge against him. Instead, it turned into (what would have been) a Pyrrhic victory for him resulting in loosing well over two-thirds (possibly up to 80%) of his men. Not that Jon's victory was any better. Really the only army that comes out of this looking good are the Tully forces.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this though. The writers like their cavalry charges, and it did look cool.

EDIT: Upon rewatching some of those scenes again... damn they look good. I still claim TV Tactics by the writers, but I have to give props to everyone involved in pulling it off.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Jun 2016, 02:46

Funny image bigger than I expected.

Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 21 Jun 2016, 05:40

I would say that I wouldn't wish Ramsey's fate on anyone, but... in his case I didn't feel a single piece of sympathy. It was poetic justice.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Jun 2016, 06:20

Give it up to his actor though - he did an amazing job portraying Ramsey.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 21 Jun 2016, 06:48

And the kid who played young Hodor.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 21 Jun 2016, 17:31

Yeah, GoT has some really great acting talent in its midst.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 21 Jun 2016, 23:36

Alright... I happened upon this video and it got my mind active. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPCp2E92qUs

So, my predicions for how the series will end! (or at least continue)

The war of the roses has parallels for The Mad King, Robert, Joffrey and Tommen.
In history, Tommen (Edward VI), a young lad who is easily influenced, falls ill and dies. He is succeded by the beloved Mary I, who has strong parallels to Margeary. Mary I is better known as Bloody Mary, as she had a habit of killing protestants by burning them alive.

On the other side was Elizabeth I, the illigitimate bastard of Henry Tudor (Robert). I've been thinking about who this might be, and my money is actually on Gendry!

This could be the onset of a holy war between the Faith of the Seven with Margeary on one side and the Brotherhood Without Banners (aka, the Red God Army) on the other. In that case, it would end with Gendry on the trone.

After that... who knows what might happem?
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Kortanios

Postby Kortanios » 26 Jun 2016, 13:35

For the entire second half of the episode I wanted to scream at the TV "Give Wun-Wun a f***ing 2 meter piece of steel as cleaver/swors or at least a f***ing tree trunk"... He could have moved down the entire phalanx that surrounded them in less than a minute had he had any kind of appropriately-sized weapon...
Ergo bibamus!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Jun 2016, 14:15

He did in the former season.

*edit* Last episode.
Fuck. The board has changed so much. Many pieces have been cleared from the board and the others have been clumped together.

It feels like Arya Stark is now the plot-thread finisher. She will murder anyone withy lingering plot threads.

Basically, it seems it will be Snow Vs Cersei Vs Daenerys next season.

Cersei did a huge play.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 27 Jun 2016, 16:09

You are forgetting the White Walkers. I assume Bran has some part to play in how they are resolved. I see Jon trying to fight off the White Walkers while Littlefinger plots his downfall. Meanwhile, Cersei is quite content having the world burn around her as Daenerys attacks. Will Jaime have to been a queenslayer?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Jun 2016, 16:10

Kortanios wrote:For the entire second half of the episode I wanted to scream at the TV "Give Wun-Wun a f***ing 2 meter piece of steel as cleaver/swors or at least a f***ing tree trunk"... He could have moved down the entire phalanx that surrounded them in less than a minute had he had any kind of appropriately-sized weapon...

He basically had to be nerfed or killed right at the beginning of the battle otherwise...exactly what you said would happen, ruining the narrative flow.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Jun 2016, 16:12

As for this last episode: Oh fuck yes. So many good bits that could have been episode-enders on their own (though the one they went with was probably the most satisfying, just from how long we've being waiting for them to get on with it.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 27 Jun 2016, 16:57

Assassin's Creed: Westeros.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 Jun 2016, 15:15

SPOILER
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 29 Jun 2016, 12:19

I feel like the ending worked very well to move people into a "final stretch" we've all been waiting for. It did seem a little back-loaded, but I think it juxtaposed nicely with the relative slowness of the season overall.

Return to “General Discussion”